Vikings cut Kline

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings cut Kline

Post by Rhodes Closed »

I've been thinking the Vikings are going into rebuild after last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spielman, the Wilfs, and Zimmer all agreed that they'd work on the younger talent they have this year and work towards the next few years. That might be why they've let go of so much talent. They obviously trust Cousins enough to extend him, along with Ham, who's still only 26, so has a good few years left.

Just a theory that doesn't have evidence to really fit it though.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 pm I've been thinking the Vikings are going into rebuild after last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spielman, the Wilfs, and Zimmer all agreed that they'd work on the younger talent they have this year and work towards the next few years. That might be why they've let go of so much talent. They obviously trust Cousins enough to extend him, along with Ham, who's still only 26, so has a good few years left.

I hope some discussion like that is taking place behind the scenes.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:35 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 pm I've been thinking the Vikings are going into rebuild after last year.

Personally I'm not against a rebuild mode for most sports teams.

I eagerly await when the Minnesota Wild F'ing explode and we can finally get rid of Suter and Parise's dank a## contracts. Plus the Timberwolves are also clearly in rebuild mode.

Only Minnesota team I would say should absolutely not be rebuilding is the Twins.

I'm weird. I love the rebuild more than I do the "Win-Now" mode. :confused:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

If that is the case I have no problem with it. However, it sure doesn't fit some of the narrative seen on this board.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:26 pm
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:23 pm

The only sense I can make of it is either a) they viewed him as a very poor player, or b) he wasn't in their plans past this year, they don't think they can win this year, and accordingly, would rather give reps to a player who is (potentially) part of their plan beyond this year.
I'm betting it's option B.
Put me down for Option B too. Specifically, not in their plans. They might be realistic about their chances too.
Damian
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Dames wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:13 pm
Mothman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm betting it's option B.
Put me down for Option B too. Specifically, not in their plans. They might be realistic about their chances too.
Both Rick and Zimmer are on the final years of their contracts and ownership has already been very forgiving of their post season losses. Can they afford to lose 10+ games next season and not lose their jobs?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Ideally that is the way things would work. That a GM and HC could go to their owner and tell him they need a year of sub .500 play to build a championship team in 2 seasons. Seems like owners only have the patience for one rebuild though and Rick and Zim already used theirs up.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Ideally that is the way things would work. That a GM and HC could go to their owner and tell him they need a year of sub .500 play to build a championship team in 2 seasons. Seems like owners only have the patience for one rebuild though and Rick and Zim already used theirs up.
This lingering Anthony Harris deal is driving me crazy. That cap hit is a serious hamstring.

Are we really going to roll into next season with Cousins playing behind the same offensive line from last year (minus Kline) plus a multitude of FA losses from the rest of the roster? Even most of the OTs likely to be available at 22 to 25 look like talented project players. Ugh.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm
Dames wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:13 pm
Both Rick and Zimmer are on the final years of their contracts and ownership has already been very forgiving of their post season losses. Can they afford to lose 10+ games next season and not lose their jobs?
I wouldn't be surprised if they've already had their deals extended. If I remember correctly, the last time the Wilfs did that there was no announcement. It just leaked out in the press later.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they've already had their deals extended. If I remember correctly, the last time the Wilfs did that there was no announcement. It just leaked out in the press later.
Can't believe we wouldn't hear anything, even rumors. It didn't take that long to come out last time did it? if that's the case though, another rebuild could very well be in the making. If there is no extension, then Stump is right that it's unlikely because they HAVE to go all in at that point.
Damian
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:42 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:10 pm

This lingering Anthony Harris deal is driving me crazy. That cap hit is a serious hamstring.

Are we really going to roll into next season with Cousins playing behind the same offensive line from last year (minus Kline) plus a multitude of FA losses from the rest of the roster? Even most of the OTs likely to be available at 22 to 25 look like talented project players. Ugh.
My take is they are still shopping Harris. Probably waiting to make a deal they want,Harris will be gone.
The other options are...they could un-tag Harris and release him, or try and sign him to a long term deal.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

more clarity on kline....

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
I stand corrected on this. #Vikings cut Josh Kline before the third day of new league year, when his $1.8 million was to be guaranteed for this season. So they carved out $3.369 million of cap room by releasing Kline.

Site OvertheCap has adjusted #Vikings salary cap page with clarification Josh Kline didn't get his $1.8 million guarantee for 2020 It lists Vikings as having $13.956 million of cap room with $2.666 million dead money on Kline That's before Rashod Hill deal
[/quote]
It makes a hell of a lot more sense now. Still doesn't sound right, but at least it's excusable.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:06 pm more clarity on kline....
I stand corrected on this. #Vikings cut Josh Kline before the third day of new league year, when his $1.8 million was to be guaranteed for this season. So they carved out $3.369 million of cap room by releasing Kline.

Site OvertheCap has adjusted #Vikings salary cap page with clarification Josh Kline didn't get his $1.8 million guarantee for 2020 It lists Vikings as having $13.956 million of cap room with $2.666 million dead money on Kline That's before Rashod Hill deal
It makes a hell of a lot more sense now. Still doesn't sound right, but at least it's excusable.
Well, it does make more sense this way. Not ideal still, but better than previously reported.
Damian