Top needs in free agency and draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Top needs in free agency and draft

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:56 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am
Not preposterous and based on statistics a verifiable fact.
The statistics say he was top 5 in turnovers, lead an offense that was bottom ten in scoring efficiency, and crapped the bed against almost every good team he faced. That isn't excellent QB play.

Winston threw for more TDs and yards this year than Cousins did in 2018, does anyone consider his play excellent? The guy is going to be a backup somewhere this year.
If you cherry pick statistics you can probably prove Tom Brady has had a bad NFL career. That's all you are doing.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:52 am

Again, false. He was under pressure plenty of times in that saints game and still delivered.

Not sure how a QB that not only:
“collapses under pressure”
“cant win a big game”
“can’t win a playoff game”
“cant beat a winning team”
“cant win in prime time”
“cant beat a good team on the road”
“can’t orchestrate a comeback”
“Cant make clutch throws”
“Cant operate with pressure in his face”

And the narratives carry on....

somehow beat the NFC favorite, New Orleans saints, on the road, in the playoffs?? But I’m sure all the cronies will somehow find a way to chalk it up as “luck”.

To be honest, I can bet money that there wasn’t a single game in cousins entire NFL career that carried more “pressure” than that New Orleans game did. It was a legit SB contender, they were heavily favored, it was on the road, a playoff environment.....and guess what, he fricken beat them. If he can win that game, I believe he can beat anyone.
One drive in OT does not make a career. There are a lot more examples of him failing in that situation than succeeding and even in that game he struggled through most of the 4 quarters in regulation.

Case did basically the same thing when he played NO in the playoffs. That doesn't define his career. His career defines his career.
It wasn't just "one drive".

I just wish you'd stop already. All you do is rag on Cousins and bring zero positivity to the site. Is there *anything* positive you have to add?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:07 am

The statistics say he was top 5 in turnovers, lead an offense that was bottom ten in scoring efficiency, and crapped the bed against almost every good team he faced. That isn't excellent QB play.

Winston threw for more TDs and yards this year than Cousins did in 2018, does anyone consider his play excellent? The guy is going to be a backup somewhere this year.
If you cherry pick statistics you can probably prove Tom Brady has had a bad NFL career. That's all you are doing.
Those aren't cherry picked stats. Leading a successful offense and not turning the ball over is how QBs contribute to winning football games. All the other stats are just indicators that lead to those final metrics I posted above.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am
One drive in OT does not make a career. There are a lot more examples of him failing in that situation than succeeding and even in that game he struggled through most of the 4 quarters in regulation.

Case did basically the same thing when he played NO in the playoffs. That doesn't define his career. His career defines his career.
It wasn't just "one drive".

I just wish you'd stop already. All you do is rag on Cousins and bring zero positivity to the site. Is there *anything* positive you have to add?
What is there to be positive about? Our offense is worse this year than last and so is our defense and we were not even close to competing for the SB last year. But we have an extra 1st round pick and are looking at some sweet compensatory picks next year. Whoopee!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:52 am

Again, false. He was under pressure plenty of times in that saints game and still delivered.

Not sure how a QB that not only:
“collapses under pressure”
“cant win a big game”
“can’t win a playoff game”
“cant beat a winning team”
“cant win in prime time”
“cant beat a good team on the road”
“can’t orchestrate a comeback”
“Cant make clutch throws”
“Cant operate with pressure in his face”

And the narratives carry on....

somehow beat the NFC favorite, New Orleans saints, on the road, in the playoffs?? But I’m sure all the cronies will somehow find a way to chalk it up as “luck”.

To be honest, I can bet money that there wasn’t a single game in cousins entire NFL career that carried more “pressure” than that New Orleans game did. It was a legit SB contender, they were heavily favored, it was on the road, a playoff environment.....and guess what, he fricken beat them. If he can win that game, I believe he can beat anyone.

Huh? There was a lot more to that game than just one drive. Kirk played fairly well overall. Especially in clutch situations.

As for Case, no Case didnt do the same thing at all. He pis#ed the game away in the 2nd half and needed a miracle to save the day. We were up 17-0 and should've lost the game if it wasnt for that one play.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:18 am
In the draft, my priorities based on impact this upcoming season:
WR
DE
CB X 2
3 Tech
OG X 2

OT

Those first 5 spots don't have a clear starter at this point. OG is a bigger need then the ones above it, but the impact a rookie could have over who we currently have on the roster isn't as significant. If that makes any sense. Finding a starting LT would be nice as it would free up a ton of cap, but it sounds like if you don't draft one in the first, you aren't getting an immediate starter. Since we have 6-7 starting spots open outside of LT, I prefer they spend a first on one of those positions and let Reiff go for one more year.

I like doing the mock draft simulators this time of year as it gives me a great way to start researching players. My 3.0 attempt.

22 Javon Kinlaw, IDL
South Carolina

25 Josh Jones, OT
Houston

58 A.J. Terrell, CB
Clemson

89 Solomon Kindley, IOL
Georgia

105 Van Jefferson, WR
Florida

132 Devin Duvernay, WR
Texas

155 Myles Bryant, CB
Washington

201 Shyheim Carter, S
Alabama

205 Christian Rector, EDGE
USC

219 Lavert Hill, CB
Michigan

249 Reggie Corbin, RB
Illinois

253 DeeJay Dallas, RB
Miami
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am
Not preposterous and based on statistics a verifiable fact.

Sorry but that is a terrible example. Winston had 35 total turnovers. Cousins had 20 total turnovers. The two seasons are nowhere near comparable
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:11 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:07 am

Those aren't cherry picked stats. Leading a successful offense and not turning the ball over is how QBs contribute to winning football games. All the other stats are just indicators that lead to those final metrics I posted above.
Absolutely cherry picked. Cousins had many great stats. You just choose to ignore everything positive. I will mimic PHP. Do you have nothing but negativity to bring to this site?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:18 am
In the draft, my priorities based on impact this upcoming season:
WR
DE
CB X 2
3 Tech
OG X 2

OT

Those first 5 spots don't have a clear starter at this point. OG is a bigger need then the ones above it, but the impact a rookie could have over who we currently have on the roster isn't as significant. If that makes any sense. Finding a starting LT would be nice as it would free up a ton of cap, but it sounds like if you don't draft one in the first, you aren't getting an immediate starter. Since we have 6-7 starting spots open outside of LT, I prefer they spend a first on one of those positions and let Reiff go for one more year.

I like doing the mock draft simulators this time of year as it gives me a great way to start researching players. My 3.0 attempt.

22 Javon Kinlaw, IDL
South Carolina

25 Josh Jones, OT
Houston

58 A.J. Terrell, CB
Clemson

89 Solomon Kindley, IOL
Georgia

105 Van Jefferson, WR
Florida

132 Devin Duvernay, WR
Texas

155 Myles Bryant, CB
Washington

201 Shyheim Carter, S
Alabama

205 Christian Rector, EDGE
USC

219 Lavert Hill, CB
Michigan

249 Reggie Corbin, RB
Illinois

253 DeeJay Dallas, RB
Miami
That would be an incredible top 5. So let it be written So let it be done.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:50 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:11 am

Absolutely cherry picked. Cousins had many great stats. You just choose to ignore everything positive. I will mimic PHP. Do you have nothing but negativity to bring to this site?
You have been warned already about this kind of post. Disagree with what I post all you want, but this kind of thing adds nothing. Being positive is not a prerequisite for commenting on this board. It is also incredibly difficult with the moves made so far.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:56 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:50 am

You have been warned already about this kind of post. Disagree with what I post all you want, but this kind of thing adds nothing. Being positive is not a prerequisite for commenting on this board. It is also incredibly difficult with the moves made so far.
Sorry Stump, but if I have been warned about stating that you are looking for the negative everywhere you possibly can. Not only do you look for all the negative and go into deep dives to find the negatives you also ignore anything positive. If I deserve a warning for that I will choose to ignore you so I won't post like that.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

Sorry Stump, but if I have been warned about stating that you are looking for the negative everywhere you possibly can. Not only do you look for all the negative and go into deep dives to find the negatives you also ignore anything positive. If I deserve a warning for that I will choose to ignore you so I won't post like that.
Really, what is the point of this? I know some people on this board love Cousins and think he's great. That's genuinely fine with me. There are others, like myself, who tend to see his negatives as significant. That's also genuinely fine. He does have negatives, and they are broadly recognized. If we can't acknowledge that he has both strengths and weaknesses, I'm not even interested in engaging. That's just the cut off for me, and I'll go talk to someone else. Waging some personal struggle against either group is just silly. Going on, and on, and ON about stats one way or another is silly. What are you aiming to accomplish?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:25 amI personally don't consider that swearing. It's one of my favorite words, but if you are sensitive to it I will acquiesce to your request.
Thank you.

To be clear: it's not a question of whether I am personally sensitive to it or not. Those are rules of the board. If it's necessary to circumvent the board filters to type a word, that's an indication the word shouldn't be used. After all, both the filters and the rule exist for a reason.
I believe I made an accurate summation of your post that to me was ridiculously negative regarding Cousins. To me that is hating. However, you probably believe your post was an accurate description of his shortcomings so you don't see your own post that was ridiculously negative IMO as being hating.
It wasn't my post.

I'm a board moderator.

I don't care what anybody thinks is "hating". That's a divisive word that often helps perpetuate the kind of petty squabbling we see too much around here. Criticism is not "hating". It's criticism. Nobody has to agree with any particular criticism but calling fellow board members "haters" is counterproductive. Our goal here is friendly football discussion, not antagonistic infighting. That's something everybody here needs to remember.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Stumphunter is right: he's entitled to his views, positive or negative.

Everybody needs to remember one of the most fundamental principles of this board: Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster.

In practice that means focusing comments on football and not on each other.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:41 am

Stumphunter is right: he's entitled to his views, positive or negative.

Everybody needs to remember one of the most fundamental principles of this board: Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster.

In practice that means focusing comments on football and not on each other.
I never said one thing about Stump not being entitled to his views. I want to clarify something. Is declaring that somebody is being negative regarded as a personal attack.