Vikings Signing Michael Pierce

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Signing Michael Pierce

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Found this on RotoWorld.

Vikings agreed to terms with NT Michael Pierce, formerly of the Ravens, on a three-year, $27 million contract.
Pierce is a truly elite run-stuffing nose tackle, and he'll replace Linval Joseph in Minnesota after Joseph was released to save cap space before signing with the Chargers. 27-year-old Pierce tips the scales at 6'/345 and will be a foundation piece on early downs before coming off the field in passing situations.
Related: Baltimore Ravens
Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter
Mar 18, 2020, 6:59 PM ET
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

This could be a good signing (they need help against the run!) but they'll need to make sure Pierce keeps his weight down.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 am This could be a good signing (they need help against the run!) but they'll need to make sure Pierce keeps his weight down.
Yeah, this signing comes with some risks.

Pierce came into camp last year 50 lbs over weight. That was a contract year and he wasn't motivated enough to get into playing shape. Very concerning.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 am
Mothman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 am This could be a good signing (they need help against the run!) but they'll need to make sure Pierce keeps his weight down.

Pierce came into camp last year 50 lbs over weight. That was a contract year and he wasn't motivated enough to get into playing shape. Very concerning.
That is really concerning to me too. I hope the reports are overblown, but it definitely doesn't sound good. He looks like a very solid signing otherwise.
Damian
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Dames wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:24 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 am

That is really concerning to me too. I hope the reports are overblown, but it definitely doesn't sound good. He looks like a very solid signing otherwise.
Yep, if he gets his head on straight he could be as good as Joseph or Fat Pat were in their primes for us. If he doesn't we will have paid a lot for nothing.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am
Dames wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:24 am
Yep, if he gets his head on straight he could be as good as Joseph or Fat Pat were in their primes for us. If he doesn't we will have paid a lot for nothing.
Baltimore didn't choose to retain him. You would think they would have done due diligence.
The Vikings chose to sign him. You would think they would have done due diligence.
One of these teams is right and the other is wrong.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Becton weighs 364, Trent Brown weighs 370, maybe we start to see DTs who have to take on double teams get to 399? :lol:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:51 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am

Baltimore didn't choose to retain him. You would think they would have done due diligence.
The Vikings chose to sign him. You would think they would have done due diligence.
I think Baltimore felt pretty good about his backup, so hopefully it is just that they didn't have the need we did and decided to spend the money somewhere else.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 am

I think Baltimore felt pretty good about his backup, so hopefully it is just that they didn't have the need we did and decided to spend the money somewhere else.
That is another possibility.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

They'd better hope his backup improves.

The Ravens gave up less than 3.5 ypc when Pierce played and nearly 5 ypc when he didn't.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Billings got 3.5 million. At that price does he make more sense than Pierce?

What a steal for the Browns.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm

The Ravens gave up less than 3.5 ypc when Pierce played and nearly 5 ypc when he didn't.
Kapp you are a fount of knowledge and wisdom. :D
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:55 pm Billings got 3.5 million. At that price does he make more sense than Pierce?

What a steal for the Browns.
is this the Billings that many thought the Vikings should have drafted back when we took Willie Beavers?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:41 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Kapp you are a fount of knowledge and wisdom. :D
Thanks. But honestly, it’s pretty much a direct quote from the first article I read about Pierce.

On second thought, I’ll go with fount of knowledge and wisdom. 8)
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.