Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:21 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Ah yes, all unpopular opinions are incorrect opinions. I forget that sometimes.

I think from now on I will just reply to your logical fallacies with the number from this list:

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15- ... cies-know/

That was #15 you employed there.

I think the defense needs improvement, and showed signs of weakening, especially against the pass. However, from a points standpoint, the thing that is the difference between winning and losing, they were the 2nd best defense Zimmer has ever coached.

Outside of 2017, this defense has never been a shutdown defense. It has been a solid, give the team a chance to win defense though. They don't have the talent to be better than that. They certainly won't this year and hopefully Zim can revamp his scheme and add some wrinkles to a D teams are starting to figure out.
Dude you have too much time on your hands.

But now that I actually have a little and can explain more in regards to this defense you’re defending here is my end of the argument.

From 2016-2018, we’ve been a top 3 passing defense. We were 20th this year. Zims pass defense has never allowed more than 43 20+ yard plays in a season. We hit that number week 12 this year. We also allowed the 2nd most 30 yard receptions

We also had the 8th lowest pressure rate per pass attempt. Part of this was because all we had were DEs and zero pass rush at DT.

From 2016 to 2018, we allowed 5 teams go over 400 yards of offense on us including playoffs. We had 4 alone this year.

We allowed 341 yards a game this year. It was 30 more yards a game than 2018 and 65 more than 2017

And to top it all off, the final 4 games of the year were against pretty bad offenses outside of GB who still wasn’t great. The D played well those games and I think that made their numbers look a little better than they actually were.
Thats what happen when your FO choses an ineffective TE vs. a proven 3 tech. Also, when coaching refuses to bench ineffective players.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:46 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:57 pm

Dude what? Beat by several bad teams? We lost to Chicago (ok we can say they are average to slightly below), Seattle (playoff team), chiefs (SB champs, Mahomes or not still a good team), Green Bay x 2 (nfc runner up). Oh and then lost to the nfc champions in the playoffs . And no I’m not going to count the week 17 Chicago game. Where in the heck are you seeing “several bad teams”??

And how are we a “bad team”?? You’re basing that off what? Our current roster day 3 into free agency? Without knowing who we’ll get in free agency, who we will resign and who we will draft?? Even as of right now we still have a very solid core. I’m not gonna lie, that post is just completely false
I was waiting to see how you would spin this. As usual, everything is purple with you.
Huh? Figured you wouldn’t have an explanation for that mess
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:47 pm

But now that I actually have a little and can explain more in regards to this defense you’re defending here is my end of the argument.

From 2016-2018, we’ve been a top 3 passing defense. We were 20th this year. Zims pass defense has never allowed more than 43 20+ yard plays in a season. We hit that number week 12 this year. We also allowed the 2nd most 30 yard receptions

We also had the 8th lowest pressure rate per pass attempt. Part of this was because all we had were DEs and zero pass rush at DT.

From 2016 to 2018, we allowed 5 teams go over 400 yards of offense on us including playoffs. We had 4 alone this year.

We allowed 341 yards a game this year. It was 30 more yards a game than 2018 and 65 more than 2017

And to top it all off, the final 4 games of the year were against pretty bad offenses outside of GB who still wasn’t great. The D played well those games and I think that made their numbers look a little better than they actually were.
Thats what happen when your FO choses an ineffective TE vs. a proven 3 tech. Also, when coaching refuses to bench ineffective players.
An ineffective TE over a proven 3 tech? Who are you even referring to?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:36 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm going with 10-6 and division champs. With a very successful draft we could win it all.
You are delusional. We are a bad team, drafting late in the first round, with limited cap. Even with our stars we were beat by several bad teams last season. Our oline is now worse.
You think what you want and I will think what I want. If the draft is VERY SUCCESSFUL we could win it all. 10-6 with a decent draft and a few good FA signings is very attainable.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Ah yes, all unpopular opinions are incorrect opinions. I forget that sometimes.

I think from now on I will just reply to your logical fallacies with the number from this list:

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15- ... cies-know/

That was #15 you employed there.

I think the defense needs improvement, and showed signs of weakening, especially against the pass. However, from a points standpoint, the thing that is the difference between winning and losing, they were the 2nd best defense Zimmer has ever coached.

Outside of 2017, this defense has never been a shutdown defense. It has been a solid, give the team a chance to win defense though. They don't have the talent to be better than that. They certainly won't this year and hopefully Zim can revamp his scheme and add some wrinkles to a D teams are starting to figure out.

Much better post.

Yards are great and can indicate something. Points win you football games.

I can post stats all day that contribute to stopping teams from scoring points, where the 2019 team was better than the 2018.

Better in the red zone, more takeaways, etc, etc, etc. In the end all that matters in the W column is how many points given up.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:36 pm

You are delusional. We are a bad team, drafting late in the first round, with limited cap. Even with our stars we were beat by several bad teams last season. Our oline is now worse.
You think what you want and I will think what I want. If the draft is VERY SUCCESSFUL we could win it all. 10-6 with a decent draft and a few good FA signings is very attainable.
Positions of need or major growth needed
1) WR #2
2) WR #3
3) LG
4) RG
5) Center
6) RDE
7) 3tech
8 ) OLB
9) LCB
10) RCB
11) NCB
12) Safety

12 out of 24 starting positions (wr 3 vs. TE2 and NCB vs. LB3) are in need of addressing and you think we can win it all.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 pm

1) WR #2
2) WR #3
3) LG
4) RG
5) Center
6) RDE
7) 3tech
8 ) OLB
9) LCB
10) RCB
11) NCB
12) Safety

12 out of 24 starting positions (wr 3 vs. TE2 and NCB vs. LB3) are in need of addressing and you think we can win it all.
If we are VERY SUCCESSFUL in the draft yes. We have 12 picks don't we. Seriously we have some guys who could be ready to step up. For example Hughes, Mac, and Hill could fill all the CB spots well. Wilson is fine at OLB if he is still signed with us. We could keep Harris. Safety solved. Yes if the draft is VERY SUCCESSFUL we can win it all.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:39 pm

1) WR #2
2) WR #3
3) LG
4) RG
5) Center
6) RDE
7) 3tech
8 ) OLB
9) LCB
10) RCB
11) NCB
12) Safety

If we are VERY SUCCESSFUL in the draft yes. We have 12 picks don't we. Seriously we have some guys who could be ready to step up. Yes if the draft is VERY SUCCESSFUL we can win it all.
12 holes to fill is a lot to ask in one draft.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

1) WR #2
2) WR #3
3) LG
4) RG
5) Center
6) RDE
7) 3tech
8 ) OLB
9) LCB
10) RCB
11) NCB
12) Safety

If we are VERY SUCCESSFUL in the draft yes. We have 12 picks don't we. Seriously we have some guys who could be ready to step up. For example Hughes, Mac, and Hill could fill all the CB spots well. Wilson is fine at OLB if he is still signed with us. We could keep Harris. Safety solved. I have no problem with Bradbury at Center. Yes if the draft is VERY SUCCESSFUL we can win it all.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 pm

If we are VERY SUCCESSFUL in the draft yes. We have 12 picks don't we. Seriously we have some guys who could be ready to step up. Yes if the draft is VERY SUCCESSFUL we can win it all.
You're forgetting the part about people stepping up. I totally disagree with you that we have 12 holes to fill. Go look at my edited prior post.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

1) WR #2
2) WR #3
3) LG
4) RG
5) Center
6) RDE
7) 3tech
8 ) OLB
9) LCB
10) RCB
11) NCB
12) Safety

Dude some of these are not accurate. Anthony Harris is currently on our team and until he is not, safety is not a need. Especially if we could come to terms with him next year. Center and OLB? Our weak side backer plays about 20 snaps a game and when it’s gedeon he actually plays pretty well especially vs the run. As for center, we literally just drafted one, was great at run blocking, bad at pass blocking, but idk who in the world gives up on their first round pick after 1 season. As for TE2?? We have Irv Smith who looks like a stud in the making and is almost in the mold of a big bodied WR.

Also, it’s DAY 3 of free agency!! I can go to just about any team and list off giant holes all over their team. The point of free agency and the draft is to fill those holes. No less there very well could be guys in house that could fill those roles just fine. Like you’re saying our roster is pretty much bare bones when we’re literally just entering the offseason? Where do you think all these players that are free agents came from? Other teams and in turn, it out holes into their lineups too. I don’t know why I’m even explaining this. You don’t even make any sense
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:20 pm

1) WR #2
2) WR #3
3) LG
4) RG
5) Center
6) RDE
7) 3tech
8 ) OLB
9) LCB
10) RCB
11) NCB
12) Safety

Dude some of these are not accurate. Anthony Harris is currently on our team and until he is not, safety is not a need. Especially if we could come to terms with him next year. Center and OLB? Our weak side backer plays about 20 snaps a game and when it’s gedeon he actually plays pretty well especially vs the run. As for center, we literally just drafted one, was great at run blocking, bad at pass blocking, but idk who in the world gives up on their first round pick after 1 season. As for TE2?? We have Irv Smith who looks like a stud in the making and is almost in the mold of a big bodied WR.

Also, it’s DAY 3 of free agency!! I can go to just about any team and list off giant holes all over their team. The point of free agency and the draft is to fill those holes. No less there very well could be guys in house that could fill those roles just fine. Like you’re saying our roster is pretty much bare bones when we’re literally just entering the offseason? Where do you think all these players that are free agents came from? Other teams and in turn, it out holes into their lineups too. I don’t know why I’m even explaining this. You don’t even make any sense
It's accurate as hell.
Harris is being shopped. I included him because the expectation is that he would be moved. I included both outside linebacker and Nickelback because combined the play starter minutes and both positions should be improved upon. Ben Gideon does not play well, he's awful.

I also realized that it is early in free agency but we currently do not have the funds to address critical needs. I understand that all teams at this time have huge needs but we are essentially short 12 starters out of 24 starters players.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:44 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 pm

You're forgetting the part about people stepping up. I totally disagree with you that we have 12 holes to fill. Go look at my edited prior post.
I saw that but that's a bird in the bush mentality. Barring any major improvement from Bisi and Watts... These holes are going to remain holds
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

1) WR #2
2) WR #3
3) LG
4) RG
5) Center
6) RDE
7) 3tech
8 ) OLB
9) LCB
10) RCB
11) NCB
12) Safety

I have reservations with our #1 WR as well . Even when he was healthy last year, Thielen wasn't very good. He had one good game against a bad defense and that was it for 2019.

Really feels like they're going into rebuild mode for the next year or two, except for the fact that Cousins signed a 2 year extension.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Man, the unrealistic negativity makes me hate coming on here in offseason time. It feels like literally any time Spielman just breathes there are people ready to pounce on him for just that.