Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Cousins signs 2 year extension (Details)

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:35 pm IMO the falling off of the defense was the main culprit in 2019, which wasn't his fault.
Don’t tell that to Stump. Supposedly they were the 2nd best defense ever under zimmer.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 pm

The Ryan that threw 22tds and 6ints in 10 games?
Tannehill played well last year, but given the entire body of work Cousins is better and it's not close.
Yeah exactly. Tannehill threw for 72 yards and 88 yards in their first two playoff games this year. You can thank Derrick Henry for the titans success this year. Because I guarantee that if cousins had those stats and we got the the nfc championship game and anyone tried to say how great he’s played, they’d get murdered on here saying that someone else carried the team. But we are suppose to praise Ryan tannehill? Come on.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 pm
mansquatch wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:35 pm IMO the falling off of the defense was the main culprit in 2019, which wasn't his fault.
Don’t tell that to Stump. Supposedly they were the 2nd best defense ever under zimmer.
They were, but don't let facts get in the way of a good emotion-based opinion. :thumbsup:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:23 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 pm

They were, but don't let facts get in the way of a good emotion-based opinion. :thumbsup:
Weird how so many claim the defense took a step back and aren’t as good anymore but you’re the only one saying that it’s not true....hmmm. But keep telling yourself that I guess
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm no fan of Cousins, but since the Vikings have committed to him, its clear they need to upgrade LT and LG in order to put him into a position to succeed. Whether thats FA, trade, or draft, its got to be the #1 priority, because Kirk Cousins become rubbish when pressured. If you are going to take advantage of what he does well, there is no team need close to OL.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:36 am I'm no fan of Cousins, but since the Vikings have committed to him, its clear they need to upgrade LT and LG in order to put him into a position to succeed. Whether thats FA, trade, or draft, its got to be the #1 priority, because Kirk Cousins become rubbish when pressured. If you are going to take advantage of what he does well, there is no team need close to OL.
Yeah OL is a huge need but we literally have next to nothing at corner. Like sure we want to see cousins play at a high level but we also need to play defense as well
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 pm

The Ryan that threw 22tds and 6ints in 10 games?
Tannehill played well last year, but given the entire body of work Cousins is better and it's not close.
We don't care about body of work. My response was about how Ryan played. He balled last season. Both contracts are horrendous. I dont understand why the Vikings would put themselves in a position where they are cap-strapped only to do it again 3 years from now.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I think we have to set expectations at a realistic level that we are probably going to be 3rd in the division and 7-9.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 pm I think we have to set expectations at a realistic level that we are probably going to be 3rd in the division and 7-9.
I hope you're wrong, but it fits the pattern we have had with Zim as coach. Barring a very successful draft, you could be right.
Damian
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:23 am

Weird how so many claim the defense took a step back and aren’t as good anymore but you’re the only one saying that it’s not true....hmmm. But keep telling yourself that I guess
Ah yes, all unpopular opinions are incorrect opinions. I forget that sometimes.

I think from now on I will just reply to your logical fallacies with the number from this list:

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15- ... cies-know/

That was #15 you employed there.

I think the defense needs improvement, and showed signs of weakening, especially against the pass. However, from a points standpoint, the thing that is the difference between winning and losing, they were the 2nd best defense Zimmer has ever coached.

Outside of 2017, this defense has never been a shutdown defense. It has been a solid, give the team a chance to win defense though. They don't have the talent to be better than that. They certainly won't this year and hopefully Zim can revamp his scheme and add some wrinkles to a D teams are starting to figure out.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Dames wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 pm I think we have to set expectations at a realistic level that we are probably going to be 3rd in the division and 7-9.
I hope you're wrong, but it fits the pattern we have had with Zim as coach. Barring a very successful draft, you could be right.
I'm going with 10-6 and division champs. With a very successful draft we could win it all.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:30 pm
Dames wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm
I'm going with 10-6 and division champs. With a very successful draft we could win it all.
You are delusional. We are a bad team, drafting late in the first round, with limited cap. Even with our stars we were beat by several bad teams last season. Our oline is now worse.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:36 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:30 pm

You are delusional. We are a bad team, drafting late in the first round, with limited cap. Even with our stars we were beat by several bad teams last season. Our oline is now worse.
Dude what? Beat by several bad teams? We lost to Chicago (ok we can say they are average to slightly below), Seattle (playoff team), chiefs (SB champs, Mahomes or not still a good team), Green Bay x 2 (nfc runner up). Oh and then lost to the nfc champions in the playoffs . And no I’m not going to count the week 17 Chicago game. Where in the heck are you seeing “several bad teams”??

And how are we a “bad team”?? You’re basing that off what? Our current roster day 3 into free agency? Without knowing who we’ll get in free agency, who we will resign and who we will draft?? Even as of right now we still have a very solid core. I’m not gonna lie, that post is just completely false
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 am

Ah yes, all unpopular opinions are incorrect opinions. I forget that sometimes.

I think from now on I will just reply to your logical fallacies with the number from this list:

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15- ... cies-know/

That was #15 you employed there.

I think the defense needs improvement, and showed signs of weakening, especially against the pass. However, from a points standpoint, the thing that is the difference between winning and losing, they were the 2nd best defense Zimmer has ever coached.

Outside of 2017, this defense has never been a shutdown defense. It has been a solid, give the team a chance to win defense though. They don't have the talent to be better than that. They certainly won't this year and hopefully Zim can revamp his scheme and add some wrinkles to a D teams are starting to figure out.
Dude you have too much time on your hands.

But now that I actually have a little and can explain more in regards to this defense you’re defending here is my end of the argument.

From 2016-2018, we’ve been a top 3 passing defense. We were 20th this year. Zims pass defense has never allowed more than 43 20+ yard plays in a season. We hit that number week 12 this year. We also allowed the 2nd most 30 yard receptions

We also had the 8th lowest pressure rate per pass attempt. Part of this was because all we had were DEs and zero pass rush at DT.

From 2016 to 2018, we allowed 5 teams go over 400 yards of offense on us including playoffs. We had 4 alone this year.

We allowed 341 yards a game this year. It was 30 more yards a game than 2018 and 65 more than 2017

And to top it all off, the final 4 games of the year were against pretty bad offenses outside of GB who still wasn’t great. The D played well those games and I think that made their numbers look a little better than they actually were.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:57 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Dude what? Beat by several bad teams? We lost to Chicago (ok we can say they are average to slightly below), Seattle (playoff team), chiefs (SB champs, Mahomes or not still a good team), Green Bay x 2 (nfc runner up). Oh and then lost to the nfc champions in the playoffs . And no I’m not going to count the week 17 Chicago game. Where in the heck are you seeing “several bad teams”??

And how are we a “bad team”?? You’re basing that off what? Our current roster day 3 into free agency? Without knowing who we’ll get in free agency, who we will resign and who we will draft?? Even as of right now we still have a very solid core. I’m not gonna lie, that post is just completely false
I was waiting to see how you would spin this. As usual, everything is purple with you.