Diggs Traded

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Diggs Traded

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:25 am Late to the conversation.

You all knew this was coming.

Who was it who first proposed the idea, several months ago, that Diggs might be traded?

J. Kapp 11

Who was it who said, while not actually advocating for the trade, that the Vikings would get at least a first-rounder for Diggs if they tried to move him?

J. Kapp 11

And who was it who crucified J. Kapp 11 every time he mentioned it?

All of you.

Yes, this is the ultimate "I told you so" post. I told you Cousins would get extended, and I told you Diggs might well be traded.

The End.
I expected Captain Kirk to get extended as well he should be. Top QBs like him don't grow on trees. I really doubted Diggs being traded and sorry if I crucified you for saying it. However, his assinine behavior kind of forced the Vikings hand and the return was above what I would have expected.
No worries. It's all in good fun.

I just remember when I first posted it. People thought I was nuts. But back in October, the smoke started, and where there's smoke, there's fire. I just had a feeling. I also knew the Vikings had kicked the tires on Diggs near the trade deadline. That's the only way I knew he could fetch a first-rounder. I'm not Nostradamus. I just read a lot.

The return is great. For just the trade, I'd say Spielman gets an A. The question -- and the tougher issue going forward -- is what we do with that return. It's definitely been an interesting offseason, which is a good thing considering the madness of COVID-19.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 am Now that the trade is actually done, here's what the Vikings did.

They drafted a guy out of Maryland in the fifth round with the 146th point, developed him into a very good receiver who, however, never made the Pro Bowl or an All-Pro team ... and they traded him.

First question: How does the trade value work out?

The Bills receive Diggs, who was worth 33 draft position points in 2015, and the Vikings' 7th round pick, worth 3 points. Total draft value: 36 points.

The Vikings receive the Bills 1st round pick at No. 22, worth 780 points. They also receive the 2020 5th round pick (25.6 points) and 6th round pick (12 points), as well as the 2021 7th round pick. Top be conservative, we'll put that at the very end, worth 3 points. Total draft value: 820.6 points.

The difference is 784.6 points.

Obviously we have to account for Diggs' ability to produce right now. So let's put that in draft terms. 784.6 points puts us at the No. 21 position in the draft. So the question becomes, can the Vikings reproduce Diggs' production with the No. 21 pick. Even though this is a draft loaded with WR talent, I'd still say no. But it's not a slam-dunk no.

However, add the 21 and the 25 together, and you've got 1,504.6 points. That gets you to the No. 7 pick in the draft. Now ... can the Vikings replace Diggs' production with THAT pick? With the WR talent in this year's draft, the odds go way up.

I honestly don't know if this is a good trade or not. I would have preferred a team a little higher up the draft board as a trading partner. But it's not a terrible one.

And ... given our salary cap position, the best thing the Vikings could have done, if they were set on trading Diggs, was to add draft capital. They added 820.6 points, so they did that in spades.

Now we either need to hit on a rookie in one of the most talented WR classes in history, or go get a free agent. Emmanuel Sanders is available, or for a younger, more cost-effective option, perhaps Breshad Perriman fits the bill. But one way or another, we've got to replace Diggs' production. I actually like the idea of Perriman. He's got some size at 6-2, he runs a 4.35, and he averaged almost 18 yards per catch for Tampa last year. His stats are similar to Diggs, only with fewer targets and receptions. And maybe he won't be a malcontent.
Love the Perriman idea. I watched all of the Tampa games from last year and he was great for them. I don't know if they can afford it though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:59 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 am

And let's rewind this to the Harvin trade. Harvin was upset, being a diva and a problem, didnt think we would get a first out of him and we did from Seattle along with a 3rd and 7th. The first gave us Rhodes and the 3rd gave us Mckinnon. Guys were ticked when Harvin was traded but happy that we got good value. Very similar to this situation. And look what happened with Harvin. He was then traded to the Jets for a 4th round pick which turned into a 6th I believe. Then ends up getting released and his career fizzles out. We won that trade by a mile. I could see something very similar happening here. Diggs will not be happy with Josh Allen. Buffalo isnt far from me and I watch a lot of their games, Allen is not good.
You skipped the part where Seattle won the Super Bowl and Harvin scored a TD in that game, but I get it in regards to the return of picks.
But YOU skipped the part where Harvin spent virtually the entire season on the injured list, caught exactly one pass, and was traded to the Jets shortly after the Super Bowl.

We destroyed Seattle on the Harvin deal.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 am Now that the trade is actually done, here's what the Vikings did.

They drafted a guy out of Maryland in the fifth round with the 146th point, developed him into a very good receiver who, however, never made the Pro Bowl or an All-Pro team ... and they traded him.

First question: How does the trade value work out?

The Bills receive Diggs, who was worth 33 draft position points in 2015, and the Vikings' 7th round pick, worth 3 points. Total draft value: 36 points.

The Vikings receive the Bills 1st round pick at No. 22, worth 780 points. They also receive the 2020 5th round pick (25.6 points) and 6th round pick (12 points), as well as the 2021 7th round pick. Top be conservative, we'll put that at the very end, worth 3 points. Total draft value: 820.6 points.

The difference is 784.6 points.

Obviously we have to account for Diggs' ability to produce right now. So let's put that in draft terms. 784.6 points puts us at the No. 21 position in the draft. So the question becomes, can the Vikings reproduce Diggs' production with the No. 21 pick. Even though this is a draft loaded with WR talent, I'd still say no. But it's not a slam-dunk no.

However, add the 21 and the 25 together, and you've got 1,504.6 points. That gets you to the No. 7 pick in the draft. Now ... can the Vikings replace Diggs' production with THAT pick? With the WR talent in this year's draft, the odds go way up.

I honestly don't know if this is a good trade or not. I would have preferred a team a little higher up the draft board as a trading partner. But it's not a terrible one.

And ... given our salary cap position, the best thing the Vikings could have done, if they were set on trading Diggs, was to add draft capital. They added 820.6 points, so they did that in spades.

Now we either need to hit on a rookie in one of the most talented WR classes in history, or go get a free agent. Emmanuel Sanders is available, or for a younger, more cost-effective option, perhaps Breshad Perriman fits the bill. But one way or another, we've got to replace Diggs' production. I actually like the idea of Perriman. He's got some size at 6-2, he runs a 4.35, and he averaged almost 18 yards per catch for Tampa last year. His stats are similar to Diggs, only with fewer targets and receptions. And maybe he won't be a malcontent.
Love the Perriman idea. I watched all of the Tampa games from last year and he was great for them. I don't know if they can afford it though.
He played on a 1-year, $4 million deal with Tampa last year and caught 36 balls, which was a career high. I don't think he'll cost all that much ... certainly not much more than the $5 million in net cap savings we get from the Diggs deal.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Read about the trade last night and was super psyched about what we got for Diggs.
Woke up today realizing that Diggs isn't on our team anymore and I'm a little bummed.
That's the give and take of a team building and competing at the same time.

Hope Thielen stays healthy and we can snag another stud WR in the draft because our current WR is severely lacking now.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 am

And let's rewind this to the Harvin trade. Harvin was upset, being a diva and a problem, didnt think we would get a first out of him and we did from Seattle along with a 3rd and 7th. The first gave us Rhodes and the 3rd gave us Mckinnon. Guys were ticked when Harvin was traded but happy that we got good value. Very similar to this situation. And look what happened with Harvin. He was then traded to the Jets for a 4th round pick which turned into a 6th I believe. Then ends up getting released and his career fizzles out. We won that trade by a mile. I could see something very similar hap lo pening here. Diggs will not be happy with Josh Allen. Buffalo isnt far from me and I watch a lot of their games, Allen is not good.
You skipped the part where Seattle won the Super Bowl and Harvin scored a TD in that game, but I get it in regards to the return of picks.
Lol yeah he returned a punt. Pretty sure Harvin had nothing to do with that team getting to or winning the SB.
On the season that year he had 5 catches for 43 yards including all the postseason. That’s like saying we lost out because Patterson returned a punt for the chiefs in the super bowl but did virtually nothing all year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:49 am

But YOU skipped the part where Harvin spent virtually the entire season on the injured list, caught exactly one pass, and was traded to the Jets shortly after the Super Bowl.

We destroyed Seattle on the Harvin deal.
I remember Seahawks fans being pissed when Seahawks traded Harvin but in the end, Seahawks made the right decision since he was out of the league in 2 years
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:51 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 am Love the Perriman idea. I watched all of the Tampa games from last year and he was great for them. I don't know if they can afford it though.
He played on a 1-year, $4 million deal with Tampa last year and caught 36 balls, which was a career high. I don't think he'll cost all that much ... certainly not much more than the $5 million in net cap savings we get from the Diggs deal.
I think he's worth a look because I don't think his price will be that high. I would prefer Robbie Anderson, but I think he'll cost a lot more.
Damian
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Dames wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:56 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:51 am
I think he's worth a look because I don't think his price will be that high. I would prefer Robbie Anderson, but I think he'll cost a lot more.
Robbie Anderson is a dangerous man on (and off) the football field. His QB situation was crap. As Cousins #2 WR he just might get 8 TDs and a 1000 yards.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think we got excellent value for Diggs as well as getting needed CAP relief. Unfortunately, there is almost no way that our pass offense doesn't suffer with him not lining up at #1. Thielen is good, but I think he benefited a lot from Diggs being on the field. The question that remains is what they will do to help bridge the gap in on-field production?

Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the Vikings. IMO, the only reason they did this is because it became clear that Diggs had different ideas about his role than what the Vikings had. Given Diggs behaviors on and off the field it was obvious that this was a potential outcome in the offseason.

The value we received in trading him might not make up for the production on the field, but we did very well in terms of getting something for him and the issues was resolved with as little distraction as possible. It was also done in March when these things should get addressed. Kudos to the front office are due IMO.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I gotta say that Irony was in full bloom for me this morning concerning the Diggs trade on 2 counts.
Part of my morning ritual is getting to work a little early and sitting in my truck , drinking my 1st mug ( alternate between a Viking and a deer mug), checking the forum and PFT news, and getting me a dose of metal/ rock before I start my day by making out my employee staffing roster for the day.
1st Irony as I read the Diggs Traded thread was that every single day I will have 2 or 3 employees that will be whining about the job that I scheduled on for the day, ala Diggs sideline performances.
And #2, I was actually listening to Black Label Society's live version of House of Doom. The second verse contains the lyrics Oh, Ain't no turning back .. They say you reap what you sow .. Hell if that ain't a fact.
I thought wow, how appropriate for what I am reading right now.
I will say I will miss the talent he brought, but not the distraction that he has become.
Funny thing is I specifically remember an interview when he said that he was glad the Vikes play indoors because he doesn't like cold weather.
Welcome to Buffalo buddy! Again.. as Zakk Wykde sings .. They say you reap what you sow.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

https://twitter.com/Str8_Cash_Homey/sta ... 2047654913

This was supposedly a thing that happened.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm https://twitter.com/Str8_Cash_Homey/sta ... 2047654913

This was supposedly a thing that happened.
Exactly. Don’t care if he’s a playmaker or not. That has selfish written all over it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 am VIkes have to eat over 9 million $ in salary for this
Vikes get less then 5 million in cap space
22nd choice in first round, but I expect Spielman to either chose another version of the "wrong QB" or some other position we dont need and continue to neglect the OL
Draft choices are all fine and dandy, IF you have a GM who knows how to build a winner.....Spielman is clueless so it will be a waste.

We just lost an elite receiver because we are committed to a mediocre QB being paid like he is a top tier QB with a ring.....Diggs was the smart one to bail out of this mess.
Ah, first year student of the game. You pick it up real quick. Let’s see, cousins was rated the 5th best qb last year. Where was Allen? In Washington, Kirk has two good WR in Jackson and Garçon, both with over 1000 yards receiving. They both left Washington and signed huge contracts. Both never came close to those numbers again. Who do you think is throwing the ball to these guys sparky? Cousins has made a lot of receivers mega millions and they’ve never seen those numbers again. Oh, and one more thing Diggs,
Welcome to buffalo and playing in snowstorms. Good luck! If the Vikings are smart they will release Reiff and Efflan. Build a left side of an OL and watch the Vikings roll. Give him time and he will kill you. Is he all world, no, but he will get the job done. I liked Diggs but not his antics. I love the trade.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Frozen Rope wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:20 pm
chicagopurple wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 am VIkes have to eat over 9 million $ in salary for this
Vikes get less then 5 million in cap space
22nd choice in first round, but I expect Spielman to either chose another version of the "wrong QB" or some other position we dont need and continue to neglect the OL
Draft choices are all fine and dandy, IF you have a GM who knows how to build a winner.....Spielman is clueless so it will be a waste.

We just lost an elite receiver because we are committed to a mediocre QB being paid like he is a top tier QB with a ring.....Diggs was the smart one to bail out of this mess.
Ah, first year student of the game. You pick it up real quick. Let’s see, cousins was rated the 5th best qb last year. Where was Allen? In Washington, Kirk has two good WR in Jackson and Garçon, both with over 1000 yards receiving. They both left Washington and signed huge contracts. Both never came close to those numbers again. Who do you think is throwing the ball to these guys sparky? Cousins has made a lot of receivers mega millions and they’ve never seen those numbers again. Oh, and one more thing Diggs,
Welcome to buffalo and playing in snowstorms. Good luck! If the Vikings are smart they will release Reiff and Efflan. Build a left side of an OL and watch the Vikings roll. Give him time and he will kill you. Is he all world, no, but he will get the job done. I liked Diggs but not his antics. I love the trade.
Good post. I find it funny how some think we have some clueless GM that doesn’t know how to bring in talent through the draft. I wonder how cook, mattison, diggs, Thielen (UDFA), Rudolph, Irv Smith, O’Neill, Hunter, griffen, kendricks, Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Harris (UDFA) and Harrison Smith all got here in the first place? Must’ve been a different GM.....? Nearly all of our stud talent was drafted by some guy named Rick Spielman.
-Chazz Palminteri