2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by psjordan »

In the nepotism category, don't forget the Pattersons. Another reason for Andre to stick around and accept the "co" title.

Have to say I was REALLY hoping Dennison would be moving on. At least Rauscher is a new face for the OL I guess.

From https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-an ... hing-staff

Current Vikings Coaching Staff:
Mike Zimmer..................... Head Coach
Gary Kubiak...................... Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach
Marwan Maalouf............... Special Teams Coordinator
Andre Patterson................ Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line
Adam Zimmer................... Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
Rick Dennison.................. Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator
Ryan Ficken...................... Assistant Special Teams
Andrew Janocko............... Wide Receivers
Christian Jones................. Offensive Quality Control
Daronte Jones................. Defensive Backs
Derik Keyes...................... Assistant Strength and Conditioning
Klint Kubiak...................... Quarterbacks
Chaz Mahle...................... Assistant Strength and Conditioning
Brian Pariani..................... Tight Ends
AC Patterson.................... Offensive Quality Control
Kennedy Polamalu............ Running Backs
Nick Rallis......................... Defensive Quality Control
Phil Rauscher.................. Assistant Offensive Line
Robert Rodriguez.............. Assistant Defensive Line
Mark Uyeyama................. Director of Competition Development
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I hate Zimmer's plan for the offense. I think Kubiak is a great addition, but he's a symptom of Zimmer's "plan". Which of course is no plan.

I remember reading during his interview he went on about his vision for the defense and said something like "the offense will work itself out". What we've found out is that he was going to bring in an offensive coordinator and just let them do what they do. So he brought in someone with head coaching experience and let them at it. Of course when things weren't working out he suddenly wanted to pretend he was head coach again rather than just defensive coordinator and Turner walked away.

As it stands these days if you have a coordinator that has a good season (except DCs under Zimmer because everyone just assumes he's doing everything) they're going to head coach the Browns or the Dolphins next year.

Zimmer is still so hands off on the offense there isn't a coherent direction. One season you're doing 6 second drops behind an awful offensive line. One season you throw the ball a million times. Next season you're 30th in the league in passing attempts. This isn't by design to throw off opponents, this is because he's letting the next new OC/HC candidate/Former Head Coach just take over.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm I hate Zimmer's plan for the offense. I think Kubiak is a great addition, but he's a symptom of Zimmer's "plan". Which of course is no plan.

I remember reading during his interview he went on about his vision for the defense and said something like "the offense will work itself out". What we've found out is that he was going to bring in an offensive coordinator and just let them do what they do. So he brought in someone with head coaching experience and let them at it. Of course when things weren't working out he suddenly wanted to pretend he was head coach again rather than just defensive coordinator and Turner walked away.

As it stands these days if you have a coordinator that has a good season (except DCs under Zimmer because everyone just assumes he's doing everything) they're going to head coach the Browns or the Dolphins next year.

Zimmer is still so hands off on the offense there isn't a coherent direction. One season you're doing 6 second drops behind an awful offensive line. One season you throw the ball a million times. Next season you're 30th in the league in passing attempts. This isn't by design to throw off opponents, this is because he's letting the next new OC/HC candidate/Former Head Coach just take over.
There absolutely is some consistency across Zimmer offenses.

Zimmer has coached 4 QBs with varying experience and talent. All of them had career years, all of them were incredibly accurate (in Case's case incredibly accurate for him) and all limited mistakes throwing the football.

That can't be a coincidence.

There have also been multiple times where he hasn't liked how his OC has been running the offense and he has stepped in. Last year he fired Stefanski, when he didn't run the football enough. In 2016 he chose Shurmur over his buddy because his offense fit the talent we had better.

I think Norv had a lot of free reign when Zimmer first got his HCing position, but I think Zimmer has become more involved in the offense since 2016. For better or for worse.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:20 pm
Cliff wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm I hate Zimmer's plan for the offense. I think Kubiak is a great addition, but he's a symptom of Zimmer's "plan". Which of course is no plan.

Zimmer has coached 4 QBs with varying experience and talent. All of them had career years, all of them were incredibly accurate (in Case's case incredibly accurate for him) and all limited mistakes throwing the football.

There have also been multiple times where he hasn't liked how his OC has been running the offense and he has stepped in. Last year he fired Stefanski, when he didn't run the football enough. In 2016 he chose Shurmur over his buddy because his offense fit the talent we had better.

I think Norv had a lot of free reign when Zimmer first got his HCing position, but I think Zimmer has become more involved in the offense since 2016. For better or for worse.
He fired Stefanski? Man, how in the world did I miss THAT?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:57 pm

He fired Stefanski? Man, how in the world did I miss THAT?
It was one of those "You can't quit, you're fired!" moments.

So many OCs over the years and I am getting too old to keep track.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

You must mean John DeFilippo.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Vikings hire Dom Capers as Defensive assistant.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... RXfrspwWMH

Good move. He's a smart guy.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:20 pm Vikings hire Dom Capers as Defensive assistant.

He's certainly an experienced guy!

This is shaping up to be a confusing structure for the defensive coaching staff, at least from the outside. Assuming Zimmer still calls the defense, in addition to his role they will have Capers as a "senior defensive assistant plus Patterson and Adam Zimmer as co-defensive coordinators who will also continue in their roles as positions coaches. Do I have that right?

I'm sure it all makes sense to someone.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:20 pm Vikings hire Dom Capers as Defensive assistant.

I guess I am the only one who does not like it
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm

Why not? I'm sure all the defensive coaches know that Zimmer has final say. I fail to see how it could be a bad move to bring in someone with his resume.
mael·strom

Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Starting to look like a old folks home Maybe he can find a better use for Barr
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm

Why not? I'm sure all the defensive coaches know that Zimmer has final say. I fail to see how it could be a bad move to bring in someone with his resume.
Because I never wanted him anywhere near our Vikings when he was Packers defensive coordinator and yeah, I know Zimmer has final say but I do not want Capers on the Vikings coaching staff but it is too late for that now, I saw Packer fans are laughing at the Vikings for hiring Capers :wallbang:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:33 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Because I never wanted him anywhere near our Vikings when he was Packers defensive coordinator and yeah, I know Zimmer has final say but I do not want Capers on the Vikings coaching staff but it is too late for that now, I saw Packer fans are laughing at the Vikings for hiring Capers :wallbang:
I feel like if he had 2 head coaching jobs and earned the reputation he has over the years he has to be able to add something positive to this staff. The packers didn't have much talent on defense when he was there imo. Clay Mathews is the only one I can think of. I just don't see a downside with this hire.
mael·strom

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Defensive assistant... Wonder what that means in practical terms.

As for whether it's a good move, only time will tell that, but I suspect we (and likely the players) will barely notice it. Zimmer is the defensive mastermind and will remain in that role as far as I can tell.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom