Should the Vikings Trade for Joe Burrow?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Should the Vikings Trade for Joe Burrow?

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:49 am
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 am

You are all over the place with your posts. One minute you're defending Cousins, but now he's an "all time loser"? Cousins is far from an all time loser. It's no secret that I have criticisms of him, but at least he has enough to give me hope. There are some QB's that I would say "No way can we EVER win a SB with him", and even though i don't think we will with Cousins, at least I believe there's a chance with a good enough team around him.

As for Brees:

NFL records
All time leader in career passing yards – 77,416.[12]
All time leader in regular season career passing touchdowns – 547.[13]
All-time leader in pass completions – 6,867.

I don't think Brees is a figment of the media's imagination. He's getting older, yes, but he still had a heck of a year.
The media paints him out to be the all time loser. I have said it many times and still stand by it. Cousins is the best since Fran. The guy plays every game and takes a beating behind a crap line. Still hangs in there. I watched Mahomes and he could just stand there waiting. Not a few seconds but could have stood there a few minutes but unloaded. Brees is a HOF guy. He had a great career and he came back from nothing. He's finished. They have a great backup in Teddy, that's not me but posters here, why not just let him take over. Why? Because he sucks. I jump I know that. I hope that clears things up. Again Brees is a HOFer.
No, no it does not.

:confused:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:49 am
The media paints him out to be the all time loser. I have said it many times and still stand by it. Cousins is the best since Fran. The guy plays every game and takes a beating behind a crap line. Still hangs in there. I watched Mahomes and he could just stand there waiting. Not a few seconds but could have stood there a few minutes but unloaded. Brees is a HOF guy. He had a great career and he came back from nothing. He's finished. They have a great backup in Teddy, that's not me but posters here, why not just let him take over. Why? Because he sucks. I jump I know that. I hope that clears things up. Again Brees is a HOFer.
No, no it does not.

:confused:
:lol:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I think we should trade diggs, threadwell, Cousins, and a third round pick to the bengals and get this guy. QB would be solved for the next 15 years. Diggs doesn't want to be here anyway
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Laserman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:40 pm I think we should trade diggs, threadwell, Cousins, and a third round pick to the bengals and get this guy. QB would be solved for the next 15 years. Diggs doesn't want to be here anyway
No way to know if Burrow will be any good at all. Could be, but he could be Josh Rosen. No idea. Huge crap shoot. I'm sitting here watching a great O line make Crappoplo a SB winner.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Cousins > garapalo 49ers should keep one eye open for a new qb also.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Raz wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 pm Cousins > garapalo 49ers should keep one eye open for a new qb also.
I think they’re pretty close. Neither is going to carry a team and are overpaid but can do well with enough pieces around them.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Man I didnt think KC had a chance when it was 20-10. Mahomes couldnt go forward. It was a great SB for sure and I won $1000 between squares and I bet tails on the coin toss and won so I'm happy lol. Would've been way better if the Vikings were in it. But if they lost it we might've been killing each other by this point lol
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Trevor Lawrence (and Justin Fields) >>> Joe Burrow
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:44 pm
Raz wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 pm Cousins > garapalo 49ers should keep one eye open for a new qb also.
I think they’re pretty close. Neither is going to carry a team and are overpaid but can do well with enough pieces around them.
I also believe Garoppolo and Cousins are pretty close. I think Garoppolo is stronger mentally and Cousins has the better arm. But today showed that even if you have a well schemed running game, a good OL (as this board seemed to think SF had), and a #1 defense, an average QB will not get it done. Garoppolo, like Cousins, is a crutch to the team. Not being able to extend plays was the difference tonight. KC had an average OL, average D, below average running game. Everything average except their QB.

So the Vikings can draft OL over the next couple of years, maybe draft defense to improve the defense, but for what? This team will always be below exceptional until they find a QB that can play exceptional when it matters.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 am
S197 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:44 pm

I also believe Garoppolo and Cousins are pretty close. I think Garoppolo is stronger mentally and Cousins has the better arm. But today showed that even if you have a well schemed running game, a good OL (as this board seemed to think SF had), and a #1 defense, an average QB will not get it done. Garoppolo, like Cousins, is a crutch to the team. Not being able to extend plays was the difference tonight. KC had an average OL, average D, below average running game. Everything average except their QB.

So the Vikings can draft OL over the next couple of years, maybe draft defense to improve the defense, but for what? This team will always be below exceptional until they find a QB that can play exceptional when it matters.
Mahomes is great but he wasn’t the sharpest tonight. He did make some incredible plays with his legs. Honestly I think it was Andy Reid that was the MVP tonight, he had an incredible game plan. Shannahan on the other side was ultra conservative, not even trying before the end of the half to manage the clock and giving up a big lead in the SB once again.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:19 am
808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 am

Mahomes is great but he wasn’t the sharpest tonight. He did make some incredible plays with his legs. Honestly I think it was Andy Reid that was the MVP tonight, he had an incredible game plan. Shannahan on the other side was ultra conservative, not even trying before the end of the half to manage the clock and giving up a big lead in the SB once again.
Mahomes was under constant pressure. Bosa and Co. made him very uncomfortable. I think Mahomes was the difference because he extended so many plays tonight. Watching a few highlights, he was huge.

I do agree about Shannahan. Not sure what he was thinking at the end of the half. Also heard Clark praise Spagnuolo for preparing the D to stop the somewhat gimmicky run game of SF.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

If the opportunity presents itself, yes.

The opportunity presenting itself would look something like getting a trade offer for Diggs or Cousins and accepting it. Trading our first, plus the first from that trade, plus a first in 2021 in order to move up to 1 or 2 and select Burrow. I'd be inclined to do it. There will be lots of cap space this year or the next, once Cousins is off the books, to retain our best players and even to bring in a couple spot FAs. Take a shot at having a a great QB, not just a middling player or an older stop gap like we've grown accustomed to for so many years.

You only have a 1 in 32 shot, but let's be honest, teams with top tier QBs have a much better shot than 1 in 32, and teams without that QB have a much worse shot than 1 in 32.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:08 pm If the opportunity presents itself, yes.

The opportunity presenting itself would look something like getting a trade offer for Diggs or Cousins and accepting it. Trading our first, plus the first from that trade, plus a first in 2021 in order to move up to 1 or 2 and select Burrow. I'd be inclined to do it. There will be lots of cap space this year or the next, once Cousins is off the books, to retain our best players and even to bring in a couple spot FAs. Take a shot at having a a great QB, not just a middling player or an older stop gap like we've grown accustomed to for so many years.

You only have a 1 in 32 shot, but let's be honest, teams with top tier QBs have a much better shot than 1 in 32, and teams without that QB have a much worse shot than 1 in 32.
I've become enamored with Justin Herbert, and it seems like a viable option to move up to 4 and get him. It would cost our two first round picks, and probably our second rounder as well. When is the next opportunity going to arise to get a potential Franchise QB on a rookie deal. The time is now.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Vikecycle
Practice Squad

Post by Vikecycle »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:45 am
fiestavike wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:08 pm If the opportunity presents itself, yes.

I've become enamored with Justin Herbert, and it seems like a viable option to move up to 4 and get him. It would cost our two first round picks, and probably our second rounder as well. When is the next opportunity going to arise to get a potential Franchise QB on a rookie deal. The time is now.
I adore Herbert as well, I think he has a chance to fall well into trade up range with a little luck. This is a deep QB draft, I could see the Chargers or Dolphins trying to get a guy later.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

With his medical situation, and the inability of teams to investigate his hip injury further, is it possible Tua could be in for a long draft slide? Suppose MIA and SD have taken him off their draft boards. He might well be there at 22, although Raiders at 19 would seem like a real possibility too.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins