Gary Kubiak Named OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Gary Kubiak Named OC

Post by akvikingsfan »

Per Ian Rapoprt
The #Vikings are turning to a familiar face for their new OC: Gary Kubiak, who has been an assistant head coach and offensive advisor, is taking over as the offensive coordinator, sources say. His impact was felt quickly in Minnesota and now he sticks around.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Gary Kubiak Named OC

Post by Mothman »

As we all reel in shock... ;)

It's a logical choice that will provide continuity from last year's scheme and Kubiak obviously has the qualifications for the job.
CanUDiggsIt?
Rookie

Post by CanUDiggsIt? »

I believe he uses this position to once again become a HC after next season (maybe take over for Zimmer?)
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I am a little disappointed in this decision. But it makes sense. There is the continuity from this year to next, Cousins will be playing in the same offense with the same terminology, and Kubiak clearly runs the type of offense that Zimmer wants. But this style of offense just isn't what I want to see with the playmakers on this team. I feel that they could get a lot more out of the offense by running a different scheme. I would have liked to have seen a more innovative guy brought in, but I understand this pick and it makes sense - Zimmer and Kubiak are both old school, their schemes and plans go hand in hand. I just don't see it as being the winning formula in 2020 or beyond. I feel that with Zimmer/Kubiak this team will get 10-12 wins, then flat line in the playoffs, I could be wrong - and hope that I am.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I've been an outspoken proponent of the Kubiak hire from Day 1, so obviously I'm happy with the choice. More accurately, I'm happy HE chose to do it.

One thing I do hope is that he takes a look at what Shanahan and the 49ers did to Green Bay. The Packers, with the Smiths and all, are all about getting upfield as fast as possible. The 49ers, normally an outsize zone running team like us, instead went with power running concepts -- traps, counters, etc. Most of their success against Green Bay was between the tackles, and they had an incredible day on the ground.

In other words, I hope Kubiak doesn't just say, "We're outside zone ... that's what we do," but instead adapts to attack the other team's tendencies.

I'm never enamored with coaches who are in the "we do what we do, and we do it better than you" camp. It's especially important to be flexible in the NFL, where you don't have the huge mismatches in talent you often see in college. I feel that coaches who BASICALLY do what they do, but have the ability to change it up for a given opponent who might be able to stop "what you do" ... those are the ones who succeed.

In general, I think it's a good move that isn't a surprise.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm pleasantly surprised that he chose to take it on. I didn't think he wanted that much on his plate anymore. I doubt he leaves to be a HC again either. Him and Zimmer are tough to bear as a one two punch of a coaching staff imo and barring a collapse next season I want to see them remain in their roles for the next few years.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

akvikingsfan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 am I am a little disappointed in this decision. But it makes sense. There is the continuity from this year to next, Cousins will be playing in the same offense with the same terminology, and Kubiak clearly runs the type of offense that Zimmer wants. But this style of offense just isn't what I want to see with the playmakers on this team. I feel that they could get a lot more out of the offense by running a different scheme. I would have liked to have seen a more innovative guy brought in, but I understand this pick and it makes sense - Zimmer and Kubiak are both old school, their schemes and plans go hand in hand. I just don't see it as being the winning formula in 2020 or beyond. I feel that with Zimmer/Kubiak this team will get 10-12 wins, then flat line in the playoffs, I could be wrong - and hope that I am.
It makes perfect sense, although I understand why it's not exciting to many. For me, it is the best way to keep the continuity. The thing is, the offense was overall very good this year. We had some awful games vs GB, Chi, and SF, but otherwise it was actually very effective. Considering the contact situation with Zim and Spielman, I don't think there was a better option. I certainly don't think it was time to blow up the offense... unless you were going get rid of the HC at the same time.

This style of offense fits Cousins very well. Our WRs are probably not in love with it because the targets are a lot less than other offenses, but there are still plenty of big plays to be had in it. We averaged 24.6 points per game. That's 11th in the league. So, it's not exactly like we are a grind-it-out team.

You may be right on the ceiling though. 10-12 wins and a playoff loss. Kinda strange to be complain about winning that many games, but I feel the same. It gets old being good enough to get the playoffs, but never good enough to win it all. I'm always hopeful that one of these years it will be different, but... you know.
Damian
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

As predicted by many on here.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 am In other words, I hope Kubiak doesn't just say, "We're outside zone ... that's what we do," but instead adapts to attack the other team's tendencies.

I'm never enamored with coaches who are in the "we do what we do, and we do it better than you" camp. It's especially important to be flexible in the NFL, where you don't have the huge mismatches in talent you often see in college. I feel that coaches who BASICALLY do what they do, but have the ability to change it up for a given opponent who might be able to stop "what you do" ... those are the ones who succeed.
Couldn't agree more that sentiment. I hope that is what he brings to the position.

Basically the opposite of Childress, who thought his "kick-#### offense" was the best, and never seemed to adjust to anything.
Damian
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I'm not surprised like many above. I see this as the best case scenario given that Zimmer is obviously staying for this year and that he talked about wanting to have continuity in the offensive system. I was concerned that Kubiak didn't want the responsibility and that we'd have his son calling plays, but given the decisions already made about coaching retention, I think it's for the best.

I really hope the Wilfs use this as a "prove it" season to see whether this current roster of coaches/players/GM can make the current philosophy work. I have serious doubts and I share Kapp's concerns about rigidness to a system as opposed to attacking opponent's weaknesses, although when you commit to getting players that fit a certain scheme, sometimes that can be challenging.

I really think there is a lack of enough talent at enough significant positions to make me skeptical that this would work regardless of what they do for the upcoming year. This isn't to say that the Vikes don't have a good amount of talent (they certainly do) and can't make the playoffs (I think they could) but I don't think they have enough talent to overcome bad match ups and weaker players to be able to beat the elite teams.

My real hope is that they start looking longer term for maybe a couple/few years down the line (which is really depressing to think about) and which younger players could still be contributors at that time and start cutting bait on those who don't fit that plan. But I don't think that will be the case with a coach and GM who want to win now for obvious and understandable reasons.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MikethePurple wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:36 pm I'm not surprised like many above. I see this as the best case scenario given that Zimmer is obviously staying for this year and that he talked about wanting to have continuity in the offensive system. I was concerned that Kubiak didn't want the responsibility and that we'd have his son calling plays, but given the decisions already made about coaching retention, I think it's for the best.

I really hope the Wilfs use this as a "prove it" season to see whether this current roster of coaches/players/GM can make the current philosophy work.

I do too and I'm hoping this decision is an indication that's what we'll see in 2020.
Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 am I've been an outspoken proponent of the Kubiak hire from Day 1, so obviously I'm happy with the choice. More accurately, I'm happy HE chose to do it.

One thing I do hope is that he takes a look at what Shanahan and the 49ers did to Green Bay. The Packers, with the Smiths and all, are all about getting upfield as fast as possible. The 49ers, normally an outsize zone running team like us, instead went with power running concepts -- traps, counters, etc. Most of their success against Green Bay was between the tackles, and they had an incredible day on the ground.

In other words, I hope Kubiak doesn't just say, "We're outside zone ... that's what we do," but instead adapts to attack the other team's tendencies.

Kubiak was Shanahan's boss while they were in Hous and I'm sure Kyle learned a lot of his tactics and philosophy from Gary, as well as his dad. The Vikings offense was neck in neck with The 49ers and The Rams who all come from the Shanahan coaching tree. Now that's GK is running the show as opposed to being a consultant there will be a major upgrade to the offensive unit.

Plus I think Zimmer will be more hands off with Kubiak and let him run his side of the ball with no interference.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

It gives this team the best chance it can have for next year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Vikings CrucifiXS wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 am I've been an outspoken proponent of the Kubiak hire from Day 1, so obviously I'm happy with the choice. More accurately, I'm happy HE chose to do it.

Kubiak was Shanahan's boss while they were in Hous and I'm sure Kyle learned a lot of his tactics and philosophy from Gary, as well as his dad. The Vikings offense was neck in neck with The 49ers and The Rams who all come from the Shanahan coaching tree. Now that's GK is running the show as opposed to being a consultant there will be a major upgrade to the offensive unit.

Plus I think Zimmer will be more hands off with Kubiak and let him run his side of the ball with no interference.
I live the decision for many reasons. Many have already been posted here so I feel no reason to repeat them and cause more reading.
But Vikings CrucifexS , I absolutely LOVED your last point that maybe his Zimmer's confidence in Kubiak will lead him to be hands off , let Kubiak do his thing, which hopefully in turn will keep Zim out of the QBs heads, and I'm including any QB on the roster. But I believe this could greatly benefit Cousins the most. Maybe it will give him more freedom to loosen up and just give out play, and be able to turn it loose. Please God , don't let this point turn into a Cousins debate and hijack this thread. I'm just alluding to that belief that Cousins had Zim in his ear and his head, as well as other QBs.
And . With Kubiaks history and his knowledge and respect, MAYBE he will have the ability to persuade Spielman, Zim and the Wilfs to start trying to find a way to draft or visit free agency to finally put a quality O line out there to provide some improvement to our weakest area.
And just maybe Gary K can mold Clint K like Mike S did with Kyle S and someday he can take over here and be as successful as Kyle is in just a few years in San Fran . Just a dream
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

CanUDiggsIt? wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 am I believe he uses this position to once again become a HC after next season (maybe take over for Zimmer?)
Gary said he does not want to be head coach again due to his health issues so it is not going to happen