Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 am

Just a stat to throw out there, for those that say "Kirk is a glorified game manager", "too conservative", "scared to take deep shots", etc.

Do you want to know who ranked LAST in depth of target average this season? Teddy Bridgewater. Heard that on Norsecode Podcast last night. So not only did it seem to me that Teddy was an ultra conservative QB that's scared to take deep shots, it's actually a proven fact.
Go Kirk!
lol but Teddy is the guy you want.... makes sense
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:31 am

I hope you are right. We could trade Kirk and sign Teddy for cheap. :rofl:

Kirk might even bring in a 2nd round pick!

We could use that to help trade up for an earlier pick in the 1st so we could draft one too.
Just a stat to throw out there, for those that say "Kirk is a glorified game manager", "too conservative", "scared to take deep shots", etc.

Do you want to know who ranked LAST in depth of target average this season? Teddy Bridgewater. Heard that on Norsecode Podcast last night. So not only did it seem to me that Teddy was an ultra conservative QB that's scared to take deep shots, it's actually a proven fact.
Drew Brees playing in the same offense was 4th lowest. This season's Saints offense was all about the short to intermediate passing attack with only one reliable wide receiver.

It also doesn't help that in his first meaningful start since 2015, he threw for a meager 3.3 air yards per attempt in the rain. That will bring the average down. He was significantly better by week 7 when he just torched the Bears.

His deep ball has gotten better and he is putting more air under his passes, where before he was throwing a lot of line drive balls that had to be perfect to complete. If it makes you feel better, his intermediate and short passing has gotten less accurate. Not sure if it was rust, him over thinking things in a pretty complex offense that he hasn't run a lot, or if his mechanics are off due to the injury.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:05 am
Teddy was never a good QB. If he is he will bring attention during FA just like Cousins did. He will get multiple offers from teams and get a offer that beats all QB deals. I'll break the news. That won't happen. The guy is a backup. Teams that need a backup will take a look. But some here think he's a top flight guy.

We could use that to help trade up for an earlier pick in the 1st so we could draft one too.
I think you wrote that wrong. It would take a 2nd round pick to get someone to take on his contract.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:50 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 am

Go Kirk!
lol but Teddy is the guy you want.... makes sense
:spanking:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 am

Drew Brees playing in the same offense was 4th lowest. This season's Saints offense was all about the short to intermediate passing attack with only one reliable wide receiver.

It also doesn't help that in his first meaningful start since 2015, he threw for a meager 3.3 air yards per attempt in the rain. That will bring the average down. He was significantly better by week 7 when he just torched the Bears.

His deep ball has gotten better and he is putting more air under his passes, where before he was throwing a lot of line drive balls that had to be perfect to complete. If it makes you feel better, his intermediate and short passing has gotten less accurate. Not sure if it was rust, him over thinking things in a pretty complex offense that he hasn't run a lot, or if his mechanics are off due to the injury.
The Saints offense has been the same for how many years now? Do you think maybe the reason they were relying on the short to intermediate passes is because neither Teddy or Brees (at this stage of his career) cant throw the deep ball? The last two years Brees' yards per game have dipped considerably. That's simply a coach making a great adjustment and adapting to his QB. It's not because the Saints are this conservative offense we've seen for years. Brees is no longer a deep passer. You've stated it yourself. Teddy hasnt ever been one. Which is why I'm saying he's conservative. I can 100% guarantee that if he was our QB this year he wouldnt have done near what Cousins did when it comes to the deep pass game. And it wouldnt even be close.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 am

The Saints offense has been the same for how many years now? Do you think maybe the reason they were relying on the short to intermediate passes is because neither Teddy or Brees (at this stage of his career) cant throw the deep ball? The last two years Brees' yards per game have dipped considerably. That's simply a coach making a great adjustment and adapting to his QB. It's not because the Saints are this conservative offense we've seen for years. Brees is no longer a deep passer. You've stated it yourself. Teddy hasnt ever been one. Which is why I'm saying he's conservative. I can 100% guarantee that if he was our QB this year he wouldnt have done near what Cousins did when it comes to the deep pass game. And it wouldnt even be close.
Yes, in his long illustrious career of 2 seasons worth of starts, he has only been a decent deep ball passer in his rookie season and this year. In his one full season, that was the one place he struggled.

As for the Saints offense, it does appear Brees has been throwing it relatively short since 2016 when next gen started tracking that stat. So yes, you are right, the offense hasn't changed. It is still predicated on the short to intermediate passes and has been for years. :thumbsup:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

To have a good conversation, it requires participants who are both interested in learning and getting closer to the Truth and participants who are in good faith trying to understand what the other(s) is/are saying. In short, it requires earnest, sincere, and intellectually honest participants. I was kind of trolling out of frustration earlier, which was a mistake, but the truth is, it really is frustrating to try to engage earnestly knowing that it will be misrepresented, straw-manned, and generally dealt with dishonestly. I'm pretty darn well over it. Its not really an enjoyable exercise.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:27 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Yes, in his long illustrious career of 2 seasons worth of starts, he has only been a decent deep ball passer in his rookie season and this year. In his one full season, that was the one place he struggled.

As for the Saints offense, it does appear Brees has been throwing it relatively short since 2016 when next gen started tracking that stat. So yes, you are right, the offense hasn't changed. It is still predicated on the short to intermediate passes and has been for years. :thumbsup:
how can you possibly sit there and say he's a decent deep ball passer this year when he had the lowest depth of target in the entire NFL. My entire point was, he's always been a conservative QB and still is. He's not going to take shots deep nor does he have the arm to do it. But somehow, you and a few others are defending this guy. The same guy that has done next to nothing for this franchise. Why are we even talking about this guy?
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:27 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:27 pm

how can you possibly sit there and say he's a decent deep ball passer this year when he had the lowest depth of target in the entire NFL. My entire point was, he's always been a conservative QB and still is. He's not going to take shots deep nor does he have the arm to do it. But somehow, you and a few others are defending this guy. The same guy that has done next to nothing for this franchise. Why are we even talking about this guy?
Someone wrote a two sentence post that was clearly not written as anything more than wishful thinking, and you responded with three paragraphs attacking a 2nd year QB for not playing like he was in his prime in 2015.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:05 pm Someone wrote a two sentence post that was clearly not written as anything more than wishful thinking
Nope he actually admitted that he was intentionally trolling
and you responded with three paragraphs attacking a 2nd year QB for not playing like he was in his prime in 2015.
:lol: :lol: Ok I'll make sure not to "attack" Teddy Bridgewater ever again...what was I thinking
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pm To have a good conversation, it requires participants who are both interested in learning and getting closer to the Truth and participants who are in good faith trying to understand what the other(s) is/are saying. In short, it requires earnest, sincere, and intellectually honest participants. I was kind of trolling out of frustration earlier, which was a mistake, but the truth is, it really is frustrating to try to engage earnestly knowing that it will be misrepresented, straw-manned, and generally dealt with dishonestly. I'm pretty darn well over it. Its not really an enjoyable exercise.
How am I suppose to know that you werent serious when you said you wanted to trade Kirk and sign Teddy? Because you didnt just say it once, you said it multiple times on here which was more reason to think you were being serious. But now you admit you were trolling. Am I suppose to have remorse or apologize for explaining my thoughts on Teddy?. I mean if you were trolling, you brought all of that onto yourself and were the entire root to the argument. I simply went into explaining how I think Teddy Bridgewater is an overly conservative QB that has shown very little and is somehow praised by fans for doing nothing for the franchise. I've said it on here before a good 10 times. I'm not sure how I could possibly be inaccurate by making that statement. I mean not trying to sound like a dic# and cheers to you for having the balls to admit you were trolling, but I dont feel bad that you got upset over peoples reactions on here. You asked for it
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:53 pm
fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pm To have a good conversation, it requires participants who are both interested in learning and getting closer to the Truth and participants who are in good faith trying to understand what the other(s) is/are saying. In short, it requires earnest, sincere, and intellectually honest participants. I was kind of trolling out of frustration earlier, which was a mistake, but the truth is, it really is frustrating to try to engage earnestly knowing that it will be misrepresented, straw-manned, and generally dealt with dishonestly. I'm pretty darn well over it. Its not really an enjoyable exercise.
How am I suppose to know that you werent serious when you said you wanted to trade Kirk and sign Teddy? Because you didnt just say it once, you said it multiple times on here which was more reason to think you were being serious. But now you admit you were trolling. Am I suppose to have remorse or apologize for explaining my thoughts on Teddy?. I mean if you were trolling, you brought all of that onto yourself and were the entire root to the argument. I simply went into explaining how I think Teddy Bridgewater is an overly conservative QB that has shown very little and is somehow praised by fans for doing nothing for the franchise. I've said it on here before a good 10 times. I'm not sure how I could possibly be inaccurate by making that statement. I mean not trying to sound like a dic# and cheers to you for having the balls to admit you were trolling, but I dont feel bad that you got upset over peoples reactions on here. You asked for it
You aren't an honest discussion partner, and I'm not really interested in trying to continue a dialogue with you. I could say more, but its probably better to leave it at that. I wish you well.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:53 pm

You aren't an honest discussion partner, and I'm not really interested in trying to continue a dialogue with you. I could say more, but its probably better to leave it at that. I wish you well.
Then PM me. Not sure what your deal is all of the sudden. You were just intentionally trolling and then went on another thread saying the board is taking a turn for the worst when everyone else is saying they had fun this year. Seems unlike you. Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dic#. I just thought it was wrong to intentionally do that and then complain about it after. PM me if you need to talk
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:05 am
Teddy was never a good QB. If he is he will bring attention during FA just like Cousins did. He will get multiple offers from teams and get a offer that beats all QB deals. I'll break the news. That won't happen. The guy is a backup. Teams that need a backup will take a look. But some here think he's a top flight guy.

I'm guessing you're kidding. But I'll throw this in.

We'd still be on the hook for Kirk's salary against the cap. Lotta dead money. More than $30 million.

Kirk's our QB next season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:02 pm

I'm guessing you're kidding. But I'll throw this in.

We'd still be on the hook for Kirk's salary against the cap. Lotta dead money. More than $30 million.

Kirk's our QB next season.
Yes, at that point I was kidding.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins