Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:27 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 am Hue Jackson as offensive coordinator and Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator would be perfect
I forgot about Jackson but again, not the same scheme. Cousins 3rd offense in 3 years and zero continuity. No thanks
Unless Cousins is not the Vikings starter next year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:26 pm

I forgot about Jackson but again, not the same scheme. Cousins 3rd offense in 3 years and zero continuity. No thanks
You planning on him getting hurt this off-season?
Damian
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:23 am Hue is a great OC. I'd be for that too.

Yeah big name but this is what I said earlier is that’s what I think fans are hunting for is the “big name” OC/DC and they aren’t going to like anyone that’s not the big name. Why implement a completely new offense for the 3rd time in 3 years? It doesn’t provide any continuity at all. I know I don’t want that
That makes sense. It doesn't have to be a new scheme though. If you aren't evolving in the NFL or just standing still, you're moving backwards. Look how Kyle Shannahan transcended his father's scheme. Kubiak still runs the same one from the 90s. Granted, Kyle has had time to do so, but he has, based on his time spent in different programs. The way I see it, as long as Kubiak is still around, the base won't change, but they need more creativity, as evidenced in a lot of their losses and ways to attack a team after adjustments. That cant all be on Stefanski. I'd be comfortable with Hue because he and Zimmer, I'm assuming, have rapport. And a lot of these coordinators like Hue who fail as a HC, generally don't cause issues and respect the head guy.

As it stands, hoping the same formula works is asking for failure. They need to change up the roster based on their cap, so you can't expect that they simply just get better via personnel only. I'd take the risk, because I still fully believe it's getting blown up after next season anyway, without a SB ring.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Do you pay attention to contracts at all? If the Vikings just let him go we lose every bit of that $31 million. Second, not many team not picking early in the draft have cap room to trade for him. And teams with early picks will look to draft a QB. Third, trade him then what? Draft our future at 25th? Good plan. Fourth, no we aren’t going after Teddy because he simply isn’t a good QB and has a noodle arm. He’s an average game manager at best.

I don’t get why you somehow think cousins won’t be here. He will be the Vikings starter next year barring crazy injury. No he’s not getting traded, no he’s not getting cut and no he’s certainly not getting benched at the start of the season for Teddy noodle arm bridgewater.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 am

Yeah big name but this is what I said earlier is that’s what I think fans are hunting for is the “big name” OC/DC and they aren’t going to like anyone that’s not the big name. Why implement a completely new offense for the 3rd time in 3 years? It doesn’t provide any continuity at all. I know I don’t want that
That makes sense. It doesn't have to be a new scheme though. If you aren't evolving in the NFL or just standing still, you're moving backwards. Look how Kyle Shannahan transcended his father's scheme. Kubiak still runs the same one from the 90s. Granted, Kyle has had time to do so, but he has, based on his time spent in different programs. The way I see it, as long as Kubiak is still around, the base won't change, but they need more creativity, as evidenced in a lot of their losses and ways to attack a team after adjustments. That cant all be on Stefanski. I'd be comfortable with Hue because he and Zimmer, I'm assuming, have rapport. And a lot of these coordinators like Hue who fail as a HC, generally don't cause issues and respect the head guy.

As it stands, hoping the same formula works is asking for failure. They need to change up the roster based on their cap, so you can't expect that they simply just get better via personnel only. I'd take the risk, because I still fully believe it's getting blown up after next season anyway, without a SB ring.
I’m not saying everything needs to be exact. I wasn’t always happy with stefanskis play calling and he did lack creativity at times. But if you’re referring to Kyle evolving his dads scheme, then let’s let Klint Kubiak try to do the same.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

What do we think of the qbs who could be available at 25 the Georgia one could be there maybe the Oregon one
I have a bad feeling about the coming year
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Raz wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:07 pm What do we think of the qbs who could be available at 25 the Georgia one could be there maybe the Oregon one
Vikings are not drafting a quarterback in the first round, Vikings are drafting offensive line or cornerback
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:48 pm

Do you pay attention to contracts at all? If the Vikings just let him go we lose every bit of that $31 million. Second, not many team not picking early in the draft have cap room to trade for him. And teams with early picks will look to draft a QB. Third, trade him then what? Draft our future at 25th? Good plan. Fourth, no we aren’t going after Teddy because he simply isn’t a good QB and has a noodle arm. He’s an average game manager at best.

I don’t get why you somehow think cousins won’t be here. He will be the Vikings starter next year barring crazy injury. No he’s not getting traded, no he’s not getting cut and no he’s certainly not getting benched at the start of the season for Teddy noodle arm bridgewater.
I didn't say won't be here, I said 'unless cousins is not the Vikings starter next year'.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:48 pm

I didn't say won't be here, I said 'unless cousins is not the Vikings starter next year'.
yeah they are going to put a 31 million dollar QB that played pretty darn well this year on the bench....for Teddy Bridgewater no less :confused:
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Raz wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:07 pm What do we think of the qbs who could be available at 25 the Georgia one could be there maybe the Oregon one
Depends on what you’re looking for. I like Fromm but he’s more of a pocket passer and unless we fix this OL, he’s going to get killed just like cousins has. Herbert has all the physical tools you need but his accuracy is a little shaky. He has a chance to be the next big thing but has just as much of a chance to be another Paxton Lynch (big body, physical tools but just not an nfl QB).

Both are big gambles and not a sure thing. I mean if he fell to the 2nd for whatever reason I would jump on him, same with Fromm but not sure about the first. I’d rather go defensive tackle, CB or OL there
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm
Vikings are not drafting a quarterback in the first round, Vikings are drafting offensive line or cornerback
How about a DT that can hold the point? Joseph is done. He gets pushed around. We need an anchor. How about another pass rusher for the inside. Another Millard type. Bring big time heat and the CB don't matter that much.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 am Hue Jackson as offensive coordinator and Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator would be perfect
If you want to be the Bengals.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:40 am

How about a DT that can hold the point? Joseph is done. He gets pushed around. We need an anchor. How about another pass rusher for the inside. Another Millard type. Bring big time heat and the CB don't matter that much.
I’m leaning towards keeping Joseph. I get what you’re saying but Joseph is still “good enough” in run defense that cutting him would not only create a hole at nose tackle but we already have one at 3 tech. So now we would need 2 starting DTs. Joseph isn’t a pass rusher. The nose rarely is. He did well enough vs the run this year that I’d rather extend him and knock his cap down and then find a 3 tech in the draft.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:40 am

Honestly offensive line and cornerback is a bigger need than defensive tackle but draft a defensive tackle in 3rd round?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:55 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 pm

yeah they are going to put a 31 million dollar QB that played pretty darn well this year on the bench....for Teddy Bridgewater no less :confused:
Ya!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins