Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Adam Zimmer the DC front-runner...

Just blow it up, now.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:16 pm Adam Zimmer the DC front-runner...

Just blow it up, now.
Iif Adam is the defensive coordinator, well, Pondering Her Percy got her wish but he better prove me wrong
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

How soon should we expect the announcement on who our new coordinators will be?
I wouldn't be real happy with the Father and Son coordinators.
I'm not expecting a lot from the upcoming season. Usually with Zimmers MO when he makes the playoffs the following year he Hasnt. Not sure if it is because we play a tougher schedule the following year or what.
I feel we have other needs than a 1st round DB. OL needs fixed..."priority"
Also picking up a couple better backup LBers and a backup QB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:16 pm Adam Zimmer the DC front-runner...

Just blow it up, now.
Like I don’t get why that is such a bad thing? He’s been around that specific defense his entire life. Half the guys on here didn’t even know who George Edwards was when he came in with zimmer. Adam isn’t going to have full reign anyways just like Edwards didn’t so I don’t get why guys are so bent out of shape over it.

Some of you guys act like we need some big flashy signing. I think promoting Adam Zimmer and Klint Kubiak is a smart move. Both young up and comers and they know the exact offense and defense we ran this year like the back of their hand. It’s better than starting from scratch and having someone completely knew come in that either doesn’t know this offense/defense or has their own scheme. A lot of continuity goes out the door. Like I said from the start, why bring in the 3rd different offense in 3 years? Especially for cousins sake? Given that he had a career year in this offense should make fans want that continuity back. Because he’s got that much more of a grasp in his 2nd year under it. Same goes for defense.

First of all, zimmer is going to hire someone with their own scheme. Second, it’s going to be someone that knows it, Zim Jr, Patterson or Lewis. Regardless, 2 of the 3 will be on our staff either way.

Does anyone really think big Zim is going to just let his kid call whatever and flop? Not a chance. So stop getting bent out of shape over it. They are young coaches, we have/had enough 60 year olds on this team calling shots. Give it to the young guys that understand the game and know the offense/defense like the back of their hand
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 am

Just blow it up, now.
Like I don’t get why that is such a bad thing? He’s been around that specific defense his entire life. Half the guys on here didn’t even know who George Edwards was when he came in with zimmer. Adam isn’t going to have full reign anyways just like Edwards didn’t so I don’t get why guys are so bent out of shape over it.

Some of you guys act like we need some big flashy signing. I think promoting Adam Zimmer and Klint Kubiak is a smart move. Both young up and comers and they know the exact offense and defense we ran this year like the back of their hand. It’s better than starting from scratch and having someone completely knew come in that either doesn’t know this offense/defense or has their own scheme. A lot of continuity goes out the door. Like I said from the start, why bring in the 3rd different offense in 3 years? Especially for cousins sake? Given that he had a career year in this offense should make fans want that continuity back. Because he’s got that much more of a grasp in his 2nd year under it. Same goes for defense.

First of all, zimmer is going to hire someone with their own scheme. Second, it’s going to be someone that knows it, Zim Jr, Patterson or Lewis. Regardless, 2 of the 3 will be on our staff either way.

Does anyone really think big Zim is going to just let his kid call whatever and flop? Not a chance. So stop getting bent out of shape over it. They are young coaches, we have/had enough 60 year olds on this team calling shots. Give it to the young guys that understand the game and know the offense/defense like the back of their hand
Yes men ruin programs. This undoubtedly gives full control to Zimmer when he needs to be a HC and not a babysitter for the defense.

If it happens, I hope it works out, but it rarely does. The reason it's being done is cause everyone's contract runs out after next season. The best coaches can re-invent and take on new perspective and ideas. They have 1 more season to get a SB or it's being blown up, regardless. There's pros and cons with going either way. I dont think this path is the right one, especially given that the defense is getting progressively worse, older and NFL offenses are much more privy to Zim's scheme than they use to be. They need someone that can, along with Zimmer, stretch the window. Not someone to help slam it shut.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I’ll throw a name out there... Hue Jackson. Once you’re done laughing, hear me out. Zimmer loves ex-HCs and he checks that box. They know each other from Cincinnati. And Hue has actually put together some solid offenses. He’s been successful at both running the ball and calling a bit more vertical passing game, which we badly need. He was a terrible HC but I think he’s one of those guys that’s better as a coordinator.

Maybe with Kubiak they can keep running the stretch zone but implement more routes downfield.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Hue is a great OC. I'd be for that too.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Nepotism is problematic for many reasons. I really hope that's not where this ship is headed.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Hue Jackson as offensive coordinator and Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator would be perfect
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:14 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 am

Yes men ruin programs. This undoubtedly gives full control to Zimmer when he needs to be a HC and not a babysitter for the defense.

If it happens, I hope it works out, but it rarely does. The reason it's being done is cause everyone's contract runs out after next season. The best coaches can re-invent and take on new perspective and ideas. They have 1 more season to get a SB or it's being blown up, regardless. There's pros and cons with going either way. I dont think this path is the right one, especially given that the defense is getting progressively worse, older and NFL offenses are much more privy to Zim's scheme than they use to be. They need someone that can, along with Zimmer, stretch the window. Not someone to help slam it shut.
I mean nobody is more qualified than Patterson who is my number one choice. Marvin Lewis would be number 2. And then Adam zimmer. But I’m also not opposed to Adam either. I don’t think Zim would have to necessarily babysit this defense. Again, this is something Adam has been around this defense longer than even someone like Patterson. By no means am I saying he’s a better choice but Adam is just as familiar with the scheme than anyone. Zim is probably calling plays regardless of who is hired. So I guess you could say he’s “babysitting” the defense no matter what. I don’t think that’s a big deal if he’s calling plays. Andy Reid and plenty of other head coaches call their own plays. And they still have success obviously.

Again I’m not pushing for Adam nearly as much as I am Klint Kubiak (if Gary doesn’t take it). As for the DC, whether it’s Patterson, Lewis or zimmer, big Zim is going to call plays regardless I’m guessing. It’s his scheme and he’s too stubborn to let someone else call the shots and all it will do IMO is cause disagreements among the coaching staff.

If the offense isn’t one of the kubiaks I’d be shocked given Zim said he wants to keep the same scheme, play calling, etc. However the DC I’m not nearly worried about because I know Zim will still have control there. Again I think Patterson is the smartest hire but they will all be working hand in hand if Adam zimmer is hired. I’m just saying I’m not opposed to it if it happens.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 am Hue Jackson as offensive coordinator and Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator would be perfect
I forgot about Jackson but again, not the same scheme. Cousins 3rd offense in 3 years and zero continuity. No thanks
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:23 am Hue is a great OC. I'd be for that too.
Yeah big name but this is what I said earlier is that’s what I think fans are hunting for is the “big name” OC/DC and they aren’t going to like anyone that’s not the big name. Why implement a completely new offense for the 3rd time in 3 years? It doesn’t provide any continuity at all. I know I don’t want that
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 am I’ll throw a name out there... Hue Jackson. Once you’re done laughing, hear me out. Zimmer loves ex-HCs and he checks that box. They know each other from Cincinnati. And Hue has actually put together some solid offenses. He’s been successful at both running the ball and calling a bit more vertical passing game, which we badly need. He was a terrible HC but I think he’s one of those guys that’s better as a coordinator.

Maybe with Kubiak they can keep running the stretch zone but implement more routes downfield.
We were one of the best vertical passing offenses this year...

And that’s the only way I’d be ok with a non-kubiak OC is if whoever comes in is willing to use the same scheme and bounce ideas off each other. If Hue or whoever wants to come in and run it their own way I want no part of that. This is the best scheme for cousins with the play action and such. I think the way you see improvement is another year under this offense. Not a new offense
-Chazz Palminteri
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 am
S197 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 am I’ll throw a name out there... Hue Jackson. Once you’re done laughing, hear me out. Zimmer loves ex-HCs and he checks that box. They know each other from Cincinnati. And Hue has actually put together some solid offenses. He’s been successful at both running the ball and calling a bit more vertical passing game, which we badly need. He was a terrible HC but I think he’s one of those guys that’s better as a coordinator.

We were one of the best vertical passing offenses this year...

And that’s the only way I’d be ok with a non-kubiak OC is if whoever comes in is willing to use the same scheme and bounce ideas off each other. If Hue or whoever wants to come in and run it their own way I want no part of that. This is the best scheme for cousins with the play action and such. I think the way you see improvement is another year under this offense. Not a new offense
I'm with PHP on this one. I don't want a new OC with a whole new scheme. Based on the contract situations with Zim and Spielman, it make very little sense to do it now. More importantly, the Viking's offense was overall very good this year. There were a handful of games where we were shut down, but honestly it was just 3 teams. GB, Chicago and SF. Granted those were huge games, but it doesn't suggest we need to blow up our offensive scheme. We were vastly better in 2019 than in 2018. The scheme works overall.

My belief is it's mostly related to the interior of the Oline. We get better there and suddenly we are at least competitive vs those 3 teams. I won't get into QB play, but based on history, if Kirk is comfortable, the offense clicks for the most part.
Damian
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

They need an OC that can coax more out of Cousins and better develop the passing attack at the short and intermediate level. More creativity in game planning and play design also a positive. Also, some design that helps the OL. Above, all they need someone who can be an asset in the 4Q not a liability.

Seems like a lot, but it put it against the back drop of the zone scheme that is already very successful here. We just need someone who can do more in those areas, not build them from scratch. I suspect Zimmer values quality game planning and ability to adjust more than the passing stuff.

Hue Jackson isn't a bad idea.

On the Nepotism thing, just going to toss it out there than Kyle Shanahan, a nepotism guy through and through, was the OC of the Superbowl Falcons 2 season and ago and is the HC for the #1 seed in the NFC playing a home game this Sunday. I get the feeling of it being an uninspired hire, I share the sentiment. However, it isn't an automatic failure. Sean McVay's grandfather was the GM of the 49ers in the 80s also, he has done pretty well also. One thing the nepotism guys have going for them is they have literally grown up in NFL football. They have more experience than we might realize.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi