Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am hoping that Zimmer will hire Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator than promote his son to defensive coordinator
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

It will be very interesting to see who the replacements will be
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

TSonn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 am Would be really funny if Stefanski and Edwards shine in Cleveland. Could say a lot of about Zimmer.
I think it would say a lot of positive things about Zimmer if he had developed 2 coaches who were able to turn that dumpster fire around.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:21 am

So if they are both become coordinators and they call stupid plays because they do not know what they are doing that costs Vikings games, you are going to be wishing they should never become coordinators
Again, how did you know Stefanski knew what he was doing? Because he was the OC for 3 games in 2018? No less he struggled in the game that matter most in 2018, Chicago.

Like of course I'm going to be mad if they call stupid plays. If we land a highly touted OC that you want and you're excited that we signed him, but then he calls stupid plays next year, are you going to be happy?

Stefanski wasnt a coordinator before either. So why is Kubiak any different. Do you not think Gary Kubiak is going to groom his son just like he did with Stefanski this year? I trust Klint Kubiak taking over more than I probably did Stefanski because this offense was new to Stefanski. It's far from new to Klint Kubiak and his father is on the damn staff.

I dont know where you think we are going to pull an OC from? Anyone that runs a different offense than Kubiak pretty much trumps Kubiak and will mean he's gone. You now hire someone that has to now implement Cousins' THIRD offense in 3 years which means zero continuity. Like why do that? This is arguably the best style offense for Cousins given he's ran it most of his career. You'd want someone that knows this offense inside and out calling the shots. That's either Gary, Klint, or Dennison (who I dont want)
Which do you rather have? Marvin Lewis or Adam Zimmer as defensive coordinator?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pm
TSonn wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 am Would be really funny if Stefanski and Edwards shine in Cleveland. Could say a lot of about Zimmer.
I think it would say a lot of positive things about Zimmer if he had developed 2 coaches who were able to turn that dumpster fire around.
I don't think he could take credit for developing either one, although he probably had some influence on them. Edwards has been coaching in the NFL since the late '90s and coached at the college level before that.

Stefanski's been with the Vikings since 2006 and has worked under Childress, Frazier and Zimmer. Plus, we all know Zimmer's not exactly heavily involved with the offense.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

The Browns have requested an interview for Paton for GM now also.

Skol Cleveland Vikings.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:47 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am

Again, how did you know Stefanski knew what he was doing? Because he was the OC for 3 games in 2018? No less he struggled in the game that matter most in 2018, Chicago.

Like of course I'm going to be mad if they call stupid plays. If we land a highly touted OC that you want and you're excited that we signed him, but then he calls stupid plays next year, are you going to be happy?

Stefanski wasnt a coordinator before either. So why is Kubiak any different. Do you not think Gary Kubiak is going to groom his son just like he did with Stefanski this year? I trust Klint Kubiak taking over more than I probably did Stefanski because this offense was new to Stefanski. It's far from new to Klint Kubiak and his father is on the damn staff.

I dont know where you think we are going to pull an OC from? Anyone that runs a different offense than Kubiak pretty much trumps Kubiak and will mean he's gone. You now hire someone that has to now implement Cousins' THIRD offense in 3 years which means zero continuity. Like why do that? This is arguably the best style offense for Cousins given he's ran it most of his career. You'd want someone that knows this offense inside and out calling the shots. That's either Gary, Klint, or Dennison (who I dont want)
Which do you rather have? Marvin Lewis or Adam Zimmer as defensive coordinator?
I mean I like the idea of Lewis. Or even bring Lewis in a Kubiak type role and have him groom Adam. I'm not saying Adam is a must for DC. It's just I do like the idea of it. It going to come down to 3 guys, Lewis, Zimmer Jr. or Patterson.

I would order those:
1.) Patterson
2.) Lewis
3.) Zimmer

But #3 is something I would be a fan of as well. In all honesty, as long as Zim is the HC, he's going to choose wisely for his defense. Edwards and Gray are gone and probably heading to Cleveland. Stefanski is going to poach as much as he can from us and trying to get Paton as well. I'm not worried about who is hired for defense because I know Zim wont be hiring or promoting a dud to run HIS defense.

As for offense, I think Klint is the front runner for me. I just hope we dont go with a bunch of old dogs all the way around. I think Klint just makes perfect sense. Zim said in his presser that he wants to keep the same scheme, play calling, etc. That points to the Kubiaks or Dennison (who again, I dont want as OC).

Go with the youth!!

And a sidenote: Zim said in his end of the year presser, "it's a young man's game". Is that hinting towards looking at younger OCs and DCs?? I'm hoping so although I would love Patterson as a DC.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:57 pm

And a sidenote: Zim said in his end of the year presser, "it's a young man's game". Is that hinting towards looking at younger OCs and DCs?? I'm hoping so although I would love Patterson as a DC.
I thought the context for that made it clear he was talking about players, particularly the OL (Samia and Udoh). So those of us clamoring for OL high in the draft may be disappointed (again).

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sp ... nce-monday
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/284 ... -oc-search

Bunch of stuff in there I don't particularly care for, including:
"I like the scheme, I like the continuity that we have offensively with the coaches, and I feel like if we add a couple more pieces and continue to work on the execution of staying with the same playcalls, the same system, the same motions and formations and things like that, it'll definitely help the offensive players," Zimmer said.

Maybe.

Our offense certainly had it's plusses, and I don't want to be too negative and hang most problems on the coaches and therefore schemes (and lack of misdirection in our offense). But it looks like we are getting staff turnover whether we like it, planned for it, or not. And I'm far from sold on our current OL coaching staff. I'd really like some fresh ideas from the new OC.

Edit: sorry to have posted this in the DC thread!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I wonder if Zimmer might hang 'em up soon.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Dames wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 pm
mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:48 am Not sure I agree PHP. I think if they hire someone it is to be in charge, but with an expectation of collaboration with Kubiak's existing structure. Let's be honest here, the zone scheme was effective. The stuff with the screens, RB passes, bootlegs, and playaction all worked well. It would be foolish to abandon that stuff. Where they need to be better was in shotgun and better use of their WR/TE. I suspect that a lot of the frustration we saw from Diggs this year was the fact that the WR took a step backwards under Stefanski. IMO, this is where there is an opportunity for a new OC to come in and make a name for himself.
DeFillippo is available again. Diggs and Thielen wold certainly love all the targets again. ;)
What is funny is I actually thought about writing something along the lines of "They need a bit more JDF in the passing game, like diet coke JDF". They do miss some of what he brought in the passing game. They don't miss what he lacked just about everywhere else.

They need a guy with some chops, but who is willing to work within Kubiak's zone running scheme. I'm really worried they are going to mail it in and just promote Dennison.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 pm I wonder if Zimmer might hang 'em up soon.
I'm wondering that also. I think they face a significant rebuild in 1-3 seasons unless they hit on a young QB pick. (It won't shock me to see a QB pick early this year for precisely this reason.) The weight of the contracts on the salary cap all point in that direction. The question is if he wants the challenge or wants to let a younger guy navigate those waters. Pete Carrol has done it, although bringing back Lynch was uninspiring. Anything is possible.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:05 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 pm I wonder if Zimmer might hang 'em up soon.
I'm wondering that also. I think they face a significant rebuild in 1-3 seasons unless they hit on a young QB pick. (It won't shock me to see a QB pick early this year for precisely this reason.) The weight of the contracts on the salary cap all point in that direction. The question is if he wants the challenge or wants to let a younger guy navigate those waters. Pete Carrol has done it, although bringing back Lynch was uninspiring. Anything is possible.
Zimmer seems to have mellowed out tremendously from his "Better get your mind right or I'll get it right for ya!" days. If teams take on the demeanor of their coach, it might explain why this team seems, old, tired, and just doesn't have all that much fight left in them.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:05 pmPete Carrol has done it, although bringing back Lynch was uninspiring. Anything is possible.
I'm no PC fan, but in his defense, he did lose his 1st, 2nd and 3rd string RB's this year.

On the other note, it would surprise me greatly if Zim stepped down - I don't think he feels he's done all he can for Adam yet. And I don't have an issue with that, tbh.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I have been hearing that Jay Gruden is a candidate for offensive coordinator, thoughts?