Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:27 pm
Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:15 pm

They've averaged nearly 10 wins per season under Zimmer. Is that what you meant? They've only won more than 8 games in half of his seasons as head coach.

Whether to pay Waynes or not will be a tough decision. I wouldn't extend Cook this offseason. Let him show he can stay healthy for the majority of another season and then make the decision.

I also wouldn't extend Cousins. I'd rather see them take the cap hit and make it easy to move on in 2021 if necessary.
There is no reason to extend him. He will want to be paid as much as the highest paid QBs this year, he will want the same next year. If the Vikings want to move cap, there are better options in Hunter, Diggs, Barr and Kendricks.
I don’t think cousins is a money hungry guy at all. He simply set the market because he was a rare commodity hitting free agency. If he was money hungry he would’ve went to the jets. I don’t see him wanting highest paid money. I’m sure he’s somewhat aware of the situation the team is in cap wise. I can see him taking less. The guy is already set for life.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I’m going to start on a mock offseason tomorrow for you guys. Usually takes me a week or two to do but I’ll get started on it. These cap numbers are going to screw with my brain lol
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:26 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm

I look at it like this: with Waynes and Mac free agents I think keeping Rhodes is a necessity. Cutting him would save 8.1 million while costing 4.8 in dead cap. How would you spend that 8.1? Resigning Waynes? Is he really that much better? Could he have covered Michael Thomas as well as Rhodes? Can Rhodes play FS if they lose Harris? I just hate eating dead cap. I think Rhodes could conceivably bounce back too. I just can't see that 8.1 being used on a considerable upgrade. Maybe Sherff from Washington? Then your starting corners are Hughes and Hill. I don't know about that. Cutting Rhodes after next year if he doesn't bounce back is much more digestible.

https://overthecap.com/player/xavier-rhodes/2206/
Shoot. Forgot all about Anthony Harris.

He's a must-sign. An absolute must. One of the top-rated safeties in the NFL.

I see what you're saying about Rhodes, but geez ... $13 million for a guy who either has lost about 2.5 steps or has regressed in his understanding of what he's doing out there ... seems really steep. That's four times as much as Tre'Davius White.

Love the idea of signing Brandon Scherff. He played outside zone at Iowa (at left tackle) and is a very solid pass blocker. Solid guard. He'll be expensive, but if we have the cap space, it's the kind of move we need to make. Elflein is lost out there.
Ok so after doing some research on Scherff I've changed my mind about wanting to give him a big deal. He has a pretty lengthy injury history and has finished the last 2 years on IR. Offensive lineman have to be durable or else the unit as a whole won't gel.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:20 pmI'm not going to share my opinion here. Mainly because I don't have one ... because it's useless.

All I'm going to say is that it's not going to happen. The Wilfs love Zimmer, and they love Spielman.
Is that why neither has a contract beyond 2020 right now?

You seem quite certain the Wilfs love Zimmer and Spielman and but it sure looks to me like they're keeping their options open.

I wasn't making a prediction anyway and I thought that was obvious. I was discussing a strategy. I don't care if it's probable. I care that it makes sense (and I believe it makes sense).

I have almost no expectation the Wilfs will act now. I just think they should.
As they used to tell us in the military, "You can piss in one hand and wish in the other ... see which hand is fuller."
Charming. :)
Sorry to offend your sensibilities.It's simply a no-nonsense (perhaps Zimmer-like) way of saying that it's always wise to stay grounded in reality, rather than wishful thinking.

Based on what I read, the only reason Zimmer and Spielman haven't been extended is because we're less than 48 hours into the offseason. I've got a dozen different sports apps all set up to push notifications for any Vikings news, so I don't miss much. Here's an example from one hour ago.
NBCSports.com wrote:Zimmer said today that he expects to have conversations with ownership about his contract and a possible extension soon, and that he’s confident he’ll be happy with the outcome of those conversations.
You may not want Zimmer and Spielman to be extended, but you need to face the fact that it's an impending reality. He or his agent likely have already had preliminary conversations with management about it. And if Zimmer's extension is in the works, it stands to reason that Spielman's is, as well.

Again, I'm not sharing an opinion on this. I've said before that I've begun to have doubts about Zimmer's ability to get this franchise over the top, even though he's my favorite coach since Bud Grant. I'm just reporting the news. You all need to prepare yourselves for the reality that Zimmer and Spielman are going to be extended. It's just a matter of time.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:26 pm
Shoot. Forgot all about Anthony Harris.

He's a must-sign. An absolute must. One of the top-rated safeties in the NFL.

I see what you're saying about Rhodes, but geez ... $13 million for a guy who either has lost about 2.5 steps or has regressed in his understanding of what he's doing out there ... seems really steep. That's four times as much as Tre'Davius White.

Love the idea of signing Brandon Scherff. He played outside zone at Iowa (at left tackle) and is a very solid pass blocker. Solid guard. He'll be expensive, but if we have the cap space, it's the kind of move we need to make. Elflein is lost out there.
Ok so after doing some research on Scherff I've changed my mind about wanting to give him a big deal. He has a pretty lengthy injury history and has finished the last 2 years on IR. Offensive lineman have to be durable or else the unit as a whole won't gel.
OK great. Who then?

Andrus Peat? The guy who got owned in the Wild Card game by our D-line?

Mike Iupati at 33 years old?

Ereck Flowers? Not bad ... ranked 38th out of 70 guards, so bottom half.

Two players down from those four ... Rashod Hill.

So again, what free agent would you sign instead?

Look, Scherff has indeed had some injuries. But everyone out there has warts. Scherff is among the very best at pass blocking on plays that take longer than 2.5 seconds. That's exactly where we're weak. He also grades out well in run blocking, making him Top 10 overall at his position, and he's got experience playing outside zone at Iowa. Not to mention, fellow Iowa alum Riley Reiff plays for the Vikings, so that might be an attraction.

I have no idea who's coming out in the draft at guard, but our last two picks along the interior O-line haven't exactly shined. Hopefully Bradbury will come back bigger and stronger, but Elflein is backup material at best. So if we're talking free agent guards, Brandon Scherff is the best option. The only holdup would be if Washington uses the franchise tag on him. Otherwise, I'd say send his Iowa buddy Reiff to recruit him. Might be the most worthwhile thing Reiff has done this year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am

OK great. Who then?

Look, Scherff has indeed had some injuries. But everyone out there has warts. Scherff is among the very best at pass blocking on plays that take longer than 2.5 seconds. That's exactly where we're weak. He also grades out well in run blocking, making him Top 10 overall at his position, and he's got experience playing outside zone at Iowa. Not to mention, fellow Iowa alum Riley Reiff plays for the Vikings, so that might be an attraction.

I have no idea who's coming out in the draft at guard, but our last two picks along the interior O-line haven't exactly shined. Hopefully Bradbury will come back bigger and stronger, but Elflein is backup material at best. So if we're talking free agent guards, Brandon Scherff is the best option. The only holdup would be if Washington uses the franchise tag on him. Otherwise, I'd say send his Iowa buddy Reiff to recruit him. Might be the most worthwhile thing Reiff has done this year.
Not saying I'd be mad if they signed him but I doubt they'll have the money anyway. I'd prefer drafting someone in the first 3 rounds who has a clean bill of health and will help us keep the cap in check. Eventually you have to develop some offensive lineman from within. We've invested quite a few mid round picks in guys you never hear about again after draft day.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:41 amSorry to offend your sensibilities.It's simply a no-nonsense (perhaps Zimmer-like) way of saying that it's always wise to stay grounded in reality, rather than wishful thinking.
I understood it and my sensibilities weren't offended.
Based on what I read, the only reason Zimmer and Spielman haven't been extended is because we're less than 48 hours into the offseason. I've got a dozen different sports apps all set up to push notifications for any Vikings news, so I don't miss much. Here's an example from one hour ago.
NBCSports.com wrote:Zimmer said today that he expects to have conversations with ownership about his contract and a possible extension soon, and that he’s confident he’ll be happy with the outcome of those conversations.
I saw that too and I'll simply note that's Zimmer talking about his expectations. It doesn't mean they will be met, although that's my expectation.
You may not want Zimmer and Spielman to be extended, but you need to face the fact that it's an impending reality.
I faced it a long time ago and I've made that clear many, many times, including to you. I know a change in GM or head coach is unlikely, at least this year. As I said, I'm expressing my opinion about what I believe should happen, not what I think will happen. That seems particularly appropriate in this thread, considering the title.
He or his agent likely have already had preliminary conversations with management about it. And if Zimmer's extension is in the works, it stands to reason that Spielman's is, as well.
... IF it's in the works. It probably is but we've both followed sports long enough to know a late season vote of confidence from a team's ownership can be meaningless, that preliminary conversations are not the equivalent of a final deal and that a coach's publicly-voiced expectations about what he thinks will happen with his contract aren't necessarily what will actually happen. Contract negotiations and public posturing go hand in hand.

I think it's spinning a bit to suggest the only reason Zimmer and Spielman haven't been extended is because we're less than 48 hours into the offseason. There's an element of truth to that but they could have been extended long before this point. That they weren't speaks to the Wilfs keeping their options open (or perhaps to Zimmer and Spielman keeping theirs open, which seems less likely). Maybe the Wilfs liked what they saw enough this season that they're sold on Spielman/Zimmer and will extend them for another 5 years. Maybe extending those deals has always been their intent but until the extensions are actually reached, the future of those positions remains a question mark beyond this upcoming season and a worthy topic for discussion (at least I think so).

Again, having said all that, I understand that Zimmer and Spielman are very likely to be with the team in 2020 and that both may receive extensions. Assuming that happens, the exact nature of those extensions will be interesting.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 am
... IF it's in the works. It probably is but we've both followed sports long enough to know a late season vote of confidence from a team's ownership can be meaningless, that preliminary conversations are not the equivalent of a final deal and that a coach's publicly-voiced expectations about what he thinks will happen with his contract aren't necessarily what will actually happen. Contract negotiations and public posturing go hand in hand.

I think it's spinning a bit to suggest the only reason Zimmer and Spielman haven't been extended is because we're less than 48 hours into the offseason. There's an element of truth to that but they could have been extended long before this point. That they weren't speaks to the Wilfs keeping their options open (or perhaps to Zimmer and Spielman keeping theirs open, which seems less likely). Maybe the Wilfs liked what they saw enough this season that they're sold on Spielman/Zimmer and will extend them for another 5 years. Maybe extending those deals has always been their intent but until the extensions are actually reached, the future of those positions remains a question mark beyond this upcoming season and a worthy topic for discussion (at least I think so).

Again, having said all that, I understand that Zimmer and Spielman are very likely to be with the team in 2020 and that both may receive extensions. Assuming that happens, the exact nature of those extensions will be interesting.
Last year they essentially gave Zim and Rick a 1-year extension. They made the playoffs, so it would be a shock if they are not here in 2020. But, the fact that they didn't extend them beyond 2020 says a lot, doesn't it? I know, from the horses mouth, that the FO loves Zim. I was told that before the season started. What I don't know is whether or not this year changed anything. I guess reading between the lines is they may love him, but they probably weren't ready to go all in last year. There is some hesitation there, or why wouldn't they have given them both 5 more years?

IMHO, I don't think that Zim or Spielman have proven anything more this year. Together, they are good to very good, but it seems they are short of excellent. Whether it's one of them or both, I don't know. It's difficult because the Vikings are competitive most years. Multiple NFL teams can't say the same. But it is very frustrating that we can never go over the hump... EVER, even if the talent seems to be there. I don't know if changing the GM and/or coach would make it worse or better though.

It would not be a shock if extensions were given, but my stance is the same as last year. I just want them to ride it out and see what happens. I also don't want an extension for Cousins, let them all play for the contracts. But, that rarely happens, so I would guess that something is in the works for all 3. An extension doesn't exactly mean anyone is safe either, although it does lessen the chance.
Damian
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

If Brady walks, I don't care what it takes, I want him. He lights a fire under guys and with our weapons.... The sky is the limit. Cut everyone and trade Cousins.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

This might be really unpopular with some, but I think the Vikings will have the exact same line next year as this one. Elf might get replaced with Hill or a guy currently on the roster, but I could see them thinking the line is good enough and drafting almost all defense.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 pm This might be really unpopular with some, but I think the Vikings will have the exact same line next year as this one. Elf might get replaced with Hill or a guy currently on the roster, but I could see them thinking the line is good enough and drafting almost all defense.
I hate you for saying that.
Damian
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Here is my view:

OC/DC hires are a big deal. DC maybe less so depending on how much Zimm wants to wear that hat. (BB wears it just fine, so this isn't unprecedented.) Lots of coaches do the play calling for one side of the ball these days, so this isn't a bad thing.

OC hire probably biggest move in the offseason.

Cap issues and how that translated to who stays and who goes will impact what I say next:

Draft Priorities:
Interior OL, interior DL, CB, QB

We are picking 25th, so BPA within those groups is probably order of the day. They really need a game changer on the OL though. Someone like Yanda or Hutchinson that can win vs. elite DL. The OL lacks anybody like that. Would really like to see them get a legit competitor at Guard.

That being said it feels like it is a lot easier to find a DL that can cause OL fits than it is to find the opposite. So maybe they draft in that direction instead? I'd honestly prefer they draft both sides of the trenches both.

I expect there to be a run on mobile QBs this year, but really what I'd like them to find is a guy with the arm strength to make off balance throws. That to me is the biggest difference between a guy like Cousins and a Mahomes. Mahomes can side arm it anywhere, even if he is moving. Kirk needs to get his feet set and have good mechanics. This is a talent thing more than anything else. Not sure we'll find that guy drafting 25th...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 pm This might be really unpopular with some, but I think the Vikings will have the exact same line next year as this one. Elf might get replaced with Hill or a guy currently on the roster, but I could see them thinking the line is good enough and drafting almost all defense.
To answer this seriously, I think you're right. I highly doubt we'll see an overhaul to the line. I think we need to fix the interior more than anything. We got by okay with it against most teams, but the teams that really beat us, all exposed us in the middle (GB, Bears,and SF). Fix that issue, and we are probably really good (again) on Offense next year, and can compete better against the teams that dominated us this year. Keep Kirk comfortable and he is really good.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 am
OK great. Who then?

Not saying I'd be mad if they signed him but I doubt they'll have the money anyway. I'd prefer drafting someone in the first 3 rounds who has a clean bill of health and will help us keep the cap in check. Eventually you have to develop some offensive lineman from within. We've invested quite a few mid round picks in guys you never hear about again after draft day.
That would be ideal, for sure.

I'm just looking at our track record for drafting and developing O-linemen. Not the best lately.

If they restructure Cousins, cut Griffen, cut Rhodes, etc., there would be money for a guy like Scherff.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Dames wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm
To answer this seriously, I think you're right. I highly doubt we'll see an overhaul to the line. I think we need to fix the interior more than anything. We got by okay with it against most teams, but the teams that really beat us, all exposed us in the middle (GB, Bears,and SF). Fix that issue, and we are probably really good (again) on Offense next year, and can compete better against the teams that dominated us this year. Keep Kirk comfortable and he is really good.
I just don't see how we fix that with the personnel we have.

Bradbury needs to get stronger and add some bulk. I think he'll do that. He seems to be a conscientious kid and a hard worker.

Elflein is what he is. He's played 3 years in the league now. All we heard last offseason was that he was healthy and not coming off any kind of surgery and poised for a good year. That didn't happen, unless you call announcers mentioning his name repeatedly for getting beat a good year.

Kline is probably serviceable if Bradbury gets better.

We can beat the Detroits and NYGs of the world. And we're fine against big bruising lines, where our O-linemen can use their athleticism for leverage and getting their opponents off balance. But we can't hold up against Green Bay and San Francisco, teams with super-athletic defensive lines who are better athletes than our O-linemen. You've either got to be bigger/stronger than the opponents' D-line, or you've got to be better athletes. We're neither against SF and Green Bay, and Chicago to a lesser degree.

To me, the best course of action is to sign a quality guard in free agency. I know we're hurting with the cap, but that's where Brzezinski has to get creative, and we've got to decide which highly paid guys we can live without.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.