Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Actually how about Klint Kubiak at OC and Adam Zimmer at DC and we start a whole new era of coaching called the “Who’s your daddy” era?!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:16 am Actually how about Klint Kubiak at OC and Adam Zimmer at DC and we start a whole new era of coaching called the “Who’s your daddy” era?!!
That is an awful idea since they have no experience being a coordinator
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:45 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:16 am Actually how about Klint Kubiak at OC and Adam Zimmer at DC and we start a whole new era of coaching called the “Who’s your daddy” era?!!
Kevin stefanski has what for experience? 3 games the year before? And had none coming into this year with kubiaks offense. I don’t get why them not having experience makes it a bad idea? Where do you think all these young coaches in the nfl are getting their start? They are becoming coordinators which then leads to being a HC.

I could bet money Klint has just as good of a grasp on this offense as stefanski did. No less his father is right there to help him just like he did with Stefanski. And as for Adam Zimmer, same thing. Adam has been on his fathers staff most of his coaching career. You don’t think he knows this defense inside and out? No less it gives you young minds at both positions. Two guys that might have a little better grasp on how the game is evolving and not so stubborn and stuck in their own ways.

I personally think it’s a great idea. Not only because they have their teachers right there with them and they are young but ultimately, they both bring continuity to the positions. That’s the most important thing. Rather than bringing in someone that hasn’t called this defense before

Answer me this, what’s the difference between having coordinators like kubiak jr. and/or zimmer jr. vs bringing someone in that maybe has coordinator experience but has never called this defense before?

I’d take the two young ones any day of the week because they know the offense/defense a lot better than an outsider would. Which again, brings more continuity
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

You also have to find two coaches who don't mind their contract being uncertain after one year. If the Vikings under perform next season, I expect a clean sweep on the GM, and head coach. I'm just a bit disappointed we will probably be in this vortex for at least another year. I'm not getting any younger!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:59 am

Kevin stefanski has what for experience? 3 games the year before? And had none coming into this year with kubiaks offense. I don’t get why them not having experience makes it a bad idea? Where do you think all these young coaches in the nfl are getting their start? They are becoming coordinators which then leads to being a HC.

I could bet money Klint has just as good of a grasp on this offense as stefanski did. No less his father is right there to help him just like he did with Stefanski. And as for Adam Zimmer, same thing. Adam has been on his fathers staff most of his coaching career. You don’t think he knows this defense inside and out? No less it gives you young minds at both positions. Two guys that might have a little better grasp on how the game is evolving and not so stubborn and stuck in their own ways.

I personally think it’s a great idea. Not only because they have their teachers right there with them and they are young but ultimately, they both bring continuity to the positions. That’s the most important thing. Rather than bringing in someone that hasn’t called this defense before

Answer me this, what’s the difference between having coordinators like kubiak jr. and/or zimmer jr. vs bringing someone in that maybe has coordinator experience but has never called this defense before?

I’d take the two young ones any day of the week because they know the offense/defense a lot better than an outsider would. Which again, brings more continuity
So if they are both become coordinators and they call stupid plays because they do not know what they are doing that costs Vikings games, you are going to be wishing they should never become coordinators
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Would be really funny if Stefanski and Edwards shine in Cleveland. Could say a lot of about Zimmer.

But really, don't think either of those guys are great (mostly because I they didn't have 100% control of their areas). It will be interesting to see how they do.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

While I generally agree, I think there's something to be said about guys who know the ins and outs of football but who have never run a practice and game-planned a game. That's where I think it's tough to find guys who are analytics driven coaches (or coordinators) but who ALSO can prepare and lead their guys.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:59 am I could bet money Klint has just as good of a grasp on this offense as stefanski did. No less his father is right there to help him just like he did with Stefanski. And as for Adam Zimmer, same thing. Adam has been on his fathers staff most of his coaching career. You don’t think he knows this defense inside and out? No less it gives you young minds at both positions. Two guys that might have a little better grasp on how the game is evolving and not so stubborn and stuck in their own ways.

I'm normally very uninspired by promoting from within after a year ends like this, but there is a lot up in the air with the staff. Both the GM and HC are on unsigned after 2020, IIRC. And while another extension this off-season wouldn't surprise me, I'm really hoping I don't see it. So... promoting those 2 guys probably makes a ton of sense even if I'm not excited about it, and even if it means more of the same. Having yet another offensive coordinator is so frustrating. Has it been 6 years since we had the same guy back-to-back years (full)? I can't even recall who it was.

I guess it probably makes more sense than bringing in someone completely new at this point. I hate the thought of a lame-duck year for this team, be it's very possible that is what we are about to see.

On the positive side, if you look at the year on offense, we were actually very good with some really ugly exceptions. The common denominator amongst those teams we faced was great interior pressure on the Oline. Those teams completely blew up what we were trying to do. If our OLine could have held up to those types of attacks we would have won 2-3 more games probably, and it changes everything for the year. But, like every year... our OLine continues to be an issue for us. It was overall better this year, but obviously not nearly good enough. So, maybe the scheme is fine, but the personnel is wrong. I wish I had faith that our staff could fix it though.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:21 am

So if they are both become coordinators and they call stupid plays because they do not know what they are doing that costs Vikings games, you are going to be wishing they should never become coordinators
Again, how did you know Stefanski knew what he was doing? Because he was the OC for 3 games in 2018? No less he struggled in the game that matter most in 2018, Chicago.

Like of course I'm going to be mad if they call stupid plays. If we land a highly touted OC that you want and you're excited that we signed him, but then he calls stupid plays next year, are you going to be happy?

Stefanski wasnt a coordinator before either. So why is Kubiak any different. Do you not think Gary Kubiak is going to groom his son just like he did with Stefanski this year? I trust Klint Kubiak taking over more than I probably did Stefanski because this offense was new to Stefanski. It's far from new to Klint Kubiak and his father is on the damn staff.

I dont know where you think we are going to pull an OC from? Anyone that runs a different offense than Kubiak pretty much trumps Kubiak and will mean he's gone. You now hire someone that has to now implement Cousins' THIRD offense in 3 years which means zero continuity. Like why do that? This is arguably the best style offense for Cousins given he's ran it most of his career. You'd want someone that knows this offense inside and out calling the shots. That's either Gary, Klint, or Dennison (who I dont want)
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Everyone has to start somewhere.
My concern isn't that neither has been a coordinator, but rather nepotism. When there is some adversity (and that's not if it's when as all teams face some adversity throughout the year) will they be able to command the respect of the players to rally the troops? Or will the players resent them and always be thinking "you only have this job because of your daddy. I had to EARN my spot on this roster". And I would have to ask the same question.....Are these two really the best options, or is it just favoritism?

That said, if they are successful then things will work out on their own
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Not sure I agree PHP. I think if they hire someone it is to be in charge, but with an expectation of collaboration with Kubiak's existing structure. Let's be honest here, the zone scheme was effective. The stuff with the screens, RB passes, bootlegs, and playaction all worked well. It would be foolish to abandon that stuff. Where they need to be better was in shotgun and better use of their WR/TE. I suspect that a lot of the frustration we saw from Diggs this year was the fact that the WR took a step backwards under Stefanski. IMO, this is where there is an opportunity for a new OC to come in and make a name for himself.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:48 am Not sure I agree PHP. I think if they hire someone it is to be in charge, but with an expectation of collaboration with Kubiak's existing structure. Let's be honest here, the zone scheme was effective. The stuff with the screens, RB passes, bootlegs, and playaction all worked well. It would be foolish to abandon that stuff. Where they need to be better was in shotgun and better use of their WR/TE. I suspect that a lot of the frustration we saw from Diggs this year was the fact that the WR took a step backwards under Stefanski. IMO, this is where there is an opportunity for a new OC to come in and make a name for himself.
DeFillippo is available again. Diggs and Thielen wold certainly love all the targets again. ;)
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:47 am Everyone has to start somewhere.
My concern isn't that neither has been a coordinator, but rather nepotism. When there is some adversity (and that's not if it's when as all teams face some adversity throughout the year) will they be able to command the respect of the players to rally the troops? Or will the players resent them and always be thinking "you only have this job because of your daddy. I had to EARN my spot on this roster". And I would have to ask the same question.....Are these two really the best options, or is it just favoritism?

That said, if they are successful then things will work out on their own
It's a very valid concern, especially if things don't go well immediately. I'm sure the players already have some opinion of both of those guys already, and if they are not good opinions already, promoting them is not going to make them more respected suddenly. We don't know what they think though.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

DB coach, Jerry Gray was just fired too.
Damian
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Dames wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:52 pm DB coach, Jerry Gray was just fired too.
WR coach Drew Petzing is out too.