Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Breaking

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter ... 5333949441

I heard rumors he wants to call his own plays awhile back.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Edwards out as Defensive Coordinator

Post by RandyMoss84 »

It is a good thing he is leaving since he will be able to call his own plays but what is the point of having a defensive coordinator if Zimmer is going to call plays?
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Surprises me
Really don't know what he had for responsibility
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:59 pm It is a good thing he is leaving since he will be able to call his own plays but what is the point of having a defensive coordinator if Zimmer is going to call plays?
Yeah was just going to post this. I’m guessing Edwards is going to Cleveland with Stefanski.

But to address your question, a lot of teams do this. I dont know how much say Edwards really had on defense here anyways. I’m sure if he was calling something Zim didn’t want it was quickly overturned so I don’t blame Edwards for leaving. Makes me wonder if Zim will do it or if he’ll promote someone to do it. I feel like this is just going to suck Zim back into just paying attention to the D.

I feel like at this rate, we should just have no head coach and have kubiak call the O and Zim call the D lol.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I literally just got done examining the staff shake-up in another thread and this happens :lol:

I feel Edwards not really got a chance to do anything here. I remember his defensive game in 2016 against Dallas was actually very good. We lost that game because of Thelien's fumble more than the defense letting us down.

Maybe Andre Patterson gets promoted? Or no true defensive coordinator?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm I literally just got done examining the staff shake-up in another thread and this happens :lol:

I feel Edwards not really got a chance to do anything here. I remember his defensive game in 2016 against Dallas was actually very good. We lost that game because of Thelien's fumble more than the defense letting us down.

Oooo I didn’t think about Patterson. Although I don’t know if I can see him as a coordinator. But if that did happen, I imagine he’s gone in a year and gets hired as a HC
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 pm
HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm I literally just got done examining the staff shake-up in another thread and this happens :lol:

Oooo I didn’t think about Patterson. Although I don’t know if I can see him as a coordinator. But if that did happen, I imagine he’s gone in a year and gets hired as a HC
They'll probably all be gone in a year. This Vikings ship is sinking.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:25 pm

Fine with me since that would hopefully mean Zimmer and Speilman getting fired
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Eh I wouldn’t go that far. A lot can happen in an offseason.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Eh I wouldn’t go that far. A lot can happen in an offseason.
True and it looks as if a lot will. It's already begun!
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Boy, I’ve never been this pessimistic about the next Vikings season since Brad Childress was the coach.

Best of luck to Edwards and the freedom of defensive plays he gets to call with his future NFL team.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:05 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:59 pm It is a good thing he is leaving since he will be able to call his own plays but what is the point of having a defensive coordinator if Zimmer is going to call plays?
Yeah was just going to post this. I’m guessing Edwards is going to Cleveland with Stefanski.

But to address your question, a lot of teams do this. I dont know how much say Edwards really had on defense here anyways. I’m sure if he was calling something Zim didn’t want it was quickly overturned so I don’t blame Edwards for leaving. Makes me wonder if Zim will do it or if he’ll promote someone to do it. I feel like this is just going to suck Zim back into just paying attention to the D.

I feel like at this rate, we should just have no head coach and have kubiak call the O and Zim call the D lol.
It's almost as if Zim hasn't really moved up to head coach anyway. How many HC do you see making the calls? He might be to involved with the day to day operations. He wants a running team. I'm not saying that's a bad thing and he brings in a guy like Flip first. That's a key position to fill and he hires the complete opposite of what he wants. Maybe he was too busy playing around with schemes for the defense. But losing this guy is no big deal. Creating a mid level D is nothing to be excited about. Can you imagine being a Brown fan and watching your new head coach perform against the 49ers and not being able to create anything. I don't see how this will be a great hire. But I've been wrong before. That's the guy they wanted. Maybe he will be better at the big picture. That's a possibility also.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Packers new head coach took them to the NFC title game and Rodgers didn't have a good year.
And he out coached Zimmer twice this year.
Be interesting to see who the new DC & OC will be. We will see if they can right this burning ship.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:05 pm

It's almost as if Zim hasn't really moved up to head coach anyway. How many HC do you see making the calls? He might be to involved with the day to day operations. He wants a running team. I'm not saying that's a bad thing and he brings in a guy like Flip first. That's a key position to fill and he hires the complete opposite of what he wants. Maybe he was too busy playing around with schemes for the defense. But losing this guy is no big deal. Creating a mid level D is nothing to be excited about. Can you imagine being a Brown fan and watching your new head coach perform against the 49ers and not being able to create anything. I don't see how this will be a great hire. But I've been wrong before. That's the guy they wanted. Maybe he will be better at the big picture. That's a possibility also.
This constantly switching OC and DC makes it hard to build a foundation. Since Cousins has been here this will be his 3rd offense to learn. Don't you want the QB to be a master of the offense? Plus all the other players go through the same thing.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

What about Adam zimmer for DC?
-Chazz Palminteri