Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

Post by TSonn »

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:27 pm I know I'm repeating myself but it really feels like this would be a good time to make big changes. Since we're talking about contracts, considering the results so far, I don't think it makes sense to extend Spielman, Zimmer or Cousins and having all 3 work through a "lame duck" season this year isn't a great idea either. I know it's probably wishful thinking but I'd like to see the Wilfs be assertive, make a good hire at GM, have the team take it's lumps with the cap in 2020 and work to set themselves up with plenty of draft picks, cap room and possibly a new QB in 2021.

This really is a pretty logical time to do a "hard reboot" of this team. They've finished the last 3 seasons by getting mauled in an important game. When you look at their personnel needs, cap situation, contract decisions (not to mentioned the way they've ping-ponged between 8-win seasons and playoff appearances over the last 5 years) it's very difficult to imagine they will be a Super Bowl team next season. If they don't extend Zimmer, Spielman and Cousins this offseason we're likely looking at a scenario where the organization will be making decisions about all 3 after another 8 or 9 win year and will the choice be any clearer at that point? What will have been accomplished by waiting?

I understand the counterarguments to this view but it feels like this particular run to win a Super Bowl is over and it may just be a question of how long the denouement will last.
I'm with you, Moth. But I think the Wilfs are complacent with average to slightly above average seasons simply to fill the seats in the brand new stadium. I know the Vikings social media, coaches, leadership all say they want a Superbowl, and on the surface I think everyone does, but I think they don't have the cahonies and the skill to make the moves to get it done.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Cut Rhodes
Let Waynes walk depending on price (nothing north of 10 million)
Target Trent Williams
Trade Barr and our 1st rounder, next year 2nd, and a 3rd to move up to select Chase Young.
Tank next year for Trevor Lawrence.

Linvel should be gone as should Cousins. Rudy should be cut and a decision on Harrison Smith would be made due to his pay.
We should have ample salary cap room to bring in one of two big time Free Agents that could turn the tables for the franchise.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:48 pm Cut Rhodes
Target Trent Williams
Trade Barr and our 1st rounder, next year 2nd, and a 3rd to move up to select Chase Young.

Linvel should be gone as should Cousins. Rudy should be cut and a decision on Harrison Smith would be made due to his pay.
We should have ample salary cap room to bring in one of two big time Free Agents that could turn the tables for the franchise.
No way I would trade that for Young, he is going to be a bust
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:58 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:38 pm No way I would overpay for Waynes. He struggled last year and isn't a ballhawk. Not a shutdown guy and doesn't get turnovers makes the decision pretty obvious to me. I'd offer average starting corner salary and he can take it or leave it. I'm good with Rhodes, Hughes, and Hill as the top 3 going into the draft. We play a lot more zone than people realize. Hughes was a first round pick it's time he starts playing like one. I'd keep Rhodes for another year to avoid the 4 million in dead cap space.
So you're OK with paying Xavier Rhodes $12.9 million to save $4 million in dead cap?

I'm not. Not at the level he played this year.
I look at it like this: with Waynes and Mac free agents I think keeping Rhodes is a necessity. Cutting him would save 8.1 million while costing 4.8 in dead cap. How would you spend that 8.1? Resigning Waynes? Is he really that much better? Could he have covered Michael Thomas as well as Rhodes? Can Rhodes play FS if they lose Harris? I just hate eating dead cap. I think Rhodes could conceivably bounce back too. I just can't see that 8.1 being used on a considerable upgrade. Maybe Sherff from Washington? Then your starting corners are Hughes and Hill. I don't know about that. Cutting Rhodes after next year if he doesn't bounce back is much more digestible.

https://overthecap.com/player/xavier-rhodes/2206/
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:27 pm I know I'm repeating myself but it really feels like this would be a good time to make big changes. Since we're talking about contracts, considering the results so far, I don't think it makes sense to extend Spielman, Zimmer or Cousins and having all 3 work through a "lame duck" season this year isn't a great idea either. I know it's probably wishful thinking but I'd like to see the Wilfs be assertive, make a good hire at GM, have the team take it's lumps with the cap in 2020 and work to set themselves up with plenty of draft picks, cap room and possibly a new QB in 2021.

This really is a pretty logical time to do a "hard reboot" of this team. They've finished the last 3 seasons by getting mauled in an important game. When you look at their personnel needs, cap situation, contract decisions (not to mentioned the way they've ping-ponged between 8-win seasons and playoff appearances over the last 5 years) it's very difficult to imagine they will be a Super Bowl team next season. If they don't extend Zimmer, Spielman and Cousins this offseason we're likely looking at a scenario where the organization will be making decisions about all 3 after another 8 or 9 win year and will the choice be any clearer at that point? What will have been accomplished by waiting?

I understand the counterarguments to this view but it feels like this particular run to win a Super Bowl is over and it may just be a question of how long the denouement will last.
I'm not going to share my opinion here. Mainly because I don't have one ... because it's useless.

All I'm going to say is that it's not going to happen. The Wilfs love Zimmer, and they love Spielman.

As they used to tell us in the military, "You can piss in one hand and wish in the other ... see which hand is fuller."
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

You guys crack me up
I'll tell you exactly how it will go linval and Wayne's will be the only notable ones gone
Cousins will restructer more cap friendly and be the qb for 3 more years
Cook will get paid
We draft a corner in the first round, d tackle in the second, wr in the third and some half project lineman in later rounds
Speilman and Zimmer will both be here for several more years
And a whole bunch of 9 win seasons
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm
So you're OK with paying Xavier Rhodes $12.9 million to save $4 million in dead cap?

I look at it like this: with Waynes and Mac free agents I think keeping Rhodes is a necessity. Cutting him would save 8.1 million while costing 4.8 in dead cap. How would you spend that 8.1? Resigning Waynes? Is he really that much better? Could he have covered Michael Thomas as well as Rhodes? Can Rhodes play FS if they lose Harris? I just hate eating dead cap. I think Rhodes could conceivably bounce back too. I just can't see that 8.1 being used on a considerable upgrade. Maybe Sherff from Washington? Then your starting corners are Hughes and Hill. I don't know about that. Cutting Rhodes after next year if he doesn't bounce back is much more digestible.

Shoot. Forgot all about Anthony Harris.

He's a must-sign. An absolute must. One of the top-rated safeties in the NFL.

I see what you're saying about Rhodes, but geez ... $13 million for a guy who either has lost about 2.5 steps or has regressed in his understanding of what he's doing out there ... seems really steep. That's four times as much as Tre'Davius White.

Love the idea of signing Brandon Scherff. He played outside zone at Iowa (at left tackle) and is a very solid pass blocker. Solid guard. He'll be expensive, but if we have the cap space, it's the kind of move we need to make. Elflein is lost out there.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:26 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm

Shoot. Forgot all about Anthony Harris.

He's a must-sign. An absolute must. One of the top-rated safeties in the NFL.

I see what you're saying about Rhodes, but geez ... $13 million for a guy who either has lost about 2.5 steps or has regressed in his understanding of what he's doing out there ... seems really steep. That's four times as much as Tre'Davius White.

Love the idea of signing Brandon Scherff. He played outside zone at Iowa (at left tackle) and is a very solid pass blocker. Solid guard. He'll be expensive, but if we have the cap space, it's the kind of move we need to make. Elflein is lost out there.
Scherff would be worth every penny if they could find the spare change. He would also be a great mentor for Bradbury. I would like to see Reiff and O' Neil trade spots on the line and draft an offensive tackle in the first 4 rounds to push/take over for Reiff asap.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:17 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:48 pm Cut Rhodes
Target Trent Williams

No way I would trade that for Young, he is going to be a bust
Whats your logic on this.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

There are teams that look good on paper and have semi-successful seasons that delude themselves into thinking they’re on the cusp. The Atlanta Falcons fit this mold. The Vikings are prime candidates to fall in the same trap.

The best we can hope for is Zimmer and Cousins aren’t extended and instead need to prove they can string together successful seasons to keep their jobs.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:20 pmI'm not going to share my opinion here. Mainly because I don't have one ... because it's useless.

All I'm going to say is that it's not going to happen. The Wilfs love Zimmer, and they love Spielman.
Is that why neither has a contract beyond 2020 right now?

You seem quite certain the Wilfs love Zimmer and Spielman and but it sure looks to me like they're keeping their options open.

I wasn't making a prediction anyway and I thought that was obvious. I was discussing a strategy. I don't care if it's probable. I care that it makes sense (and I believe it makes sense).

I have almost no expectation the Wilfs will act now. I just think they should.
As they used to tell us in the military, "You can piss in one hand and wish in the other ... see which hand is fuller."
Charming. :)
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Long-time fans (30+ years) correct me if I am wrong, but I can't remember heading into an offseason where everything seems so up in the air and fragile. Is this team close to re-contending? Is this a team near the end of its contending opportunity? Or is this team simply good enough to be 'pretenders?' Let us not forget the fact that the triumvirate of Spielman, Zimmer, and Cousins have one year left on their current deals. It is all very bizarre to me.

My personal opinion is Spielman needs to go. I am done with him. He has failed to adequately address the offensive line year in and year out. It should have cost him his job years ago. And, no, throwing a bunch of late round picks and throwing money at average to below-average free agents is NOT adequately addressing the offensive line. His drafts have been average. Some big hits for sure, but most of his picks are average at best.

IMO, George Patton should be promoted to GM. It would give the team new visions of team building. I think Zimmer should get another season at least. Cousins should get a one-year extension contingent on lowering his cap hit. $31 million is just too crippling to the team. Ideally, the extension would offer some way out of the contract for Minnesota in case things go south in 2020. At least with Patton as the GM, it would at least give us continuity for one more season. If the team fails, then Patton can make the next coaching hire and the next QB decision.

In reality, nothing organizationally is going to happen at the top. I bet Spielman will stay. Zimmer is not going anywhere. Cousins will not be extended. We could easily lose guys like Patton, George Edwards, Andre Patterson, etc. I highly doubt the Kubiaks are leaving.

Player personnel team-wise: Rhodes, Reiff, Joesph, Griffen, Elflein should go. It hurts, but Griffen won't want to come back on a new reduced deal - might as well just let him walk. I would hope Anthony Harris, Britton Colquit, Dan Bailey, Brett Jones, and Mac Alexander stay. Couldn't care less about the rest of the free agents going away (for the love all things dear please DO NOT re-sign Sean Mannion).

Free Agency: OG, DT, CB, back-up QB. Top tier offensive lineman is a must, but don't over pay for meddling talent (i.e. Mike Remmers in 2017). Starting 3-tech would be ideal as well. Cornerback who can excel in man would be ideal. Case Keenum please as our back-up.

Draft: Offensive line (1st, 2nd round minimum), cornerback, defensive line, quarterback, nickel linebacker.

I am sure we will have more clarity in the coming days. There could be total staff chaos or relative peace. Whatever happens, strap-in.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

TSonn wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm I don't think we'll bring in Mariota with Cousins still as the starter but I'd be interested to see that. Mariota was supposed to be the original Mahomes. I don't think Mariota is necessarily better than Cousins, but he might be a better fit for our line and Mariota + Cook would probably be deadly.
I think Mariota is terrible. As a backup, if we don’t draft a QB early. But Mariota isn’t the future by any means
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Rhodes did play well in the playoffs though
He did get torched once. Keeping him as a backup and that price is just not realistic. It’s unheard of. He needs to go IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:01 pm Long-time fans (30+ years) correct me if I am wrong, but I can't remember heading into an offseason where everything seems so up in the air and fragile. Is this team close to re-contending? Is this a team near the end of its contending opportunity? Or is this team simply good enough to be 'pretenders?' Let us not forget the fact that the triumvirate of Spielman, Zimmer, and Cousins have one year left on their current deals. It is all very bizarre to me.
It definitely feels like the team is on shaky ground. As for your question: I think they're pretenders, not contenders.
My personal opinion is Spielman needs to go. I am done with him. He has failed to adequately address the offensive line year in and year out. It should have cost him his job years ago. And, no, throwing a bunch of late round picks and throwing money at average to below-average free agents is NOT adequately addressing the offensive line. His drafts have been average. Some big hits for sure, but most of his picks are average at best.

IMO, George Patton should be promoted to GM. It would give the team new visions of team building.
Personally, even though Paton seems highly respected around the league, I'd prefer to see them go outside the organization. I'd like to see the Vikes break from the past 13 or 14 years. I think the Vikings needs fresh ideas and a better approach. Paton's been attached to Spielman's hip for a long time and he's repeatedly turned away from GM opportunities with other teams. Maybe that's about loyalty, maybe it's about continuing to live in Minnesota or maybe he just doesn't want that level of responsibility. Whatever the reason, I want to see the team break away from the mediocrity and postseason futility of the recent past, not extend it.
Player personnel team-wise: Rhodes, Reiff, Joesph, Griffen, Elflein should go. It hurts, but Griffen won't want to come back on a new reduced deal - might as well just let him walk. I would hope Anthony Harris, Britton Colquit, Dan Bailey, Brett Jones, and Mac Alexander stay. Couldn't care less about the rest of the free agents going away (for the love all things dear please DO NOT re-sign Sean Mannion).
:lol: