Browns plan to hire Stefanski

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Browns plan to hire Stefanski

Post by RandyMoss84 »

cogitator wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:38 pm From the Broncos beat reporter -

With Rich Scangarello fired league source says Vic Fangio will move fast to secure Pat Shurmur as Broncos new offensive coordinator. Shurmur has offers from multiple teams but Broncos are his top choice in large part because of talented young core led by Drew Lock.
That is disappointing but Shurmur will do a good job with Lock
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:28 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Kubiak has said he does not want to be head coach again due to his health issues so that is not happening
Head coach, that's true.

Coordinator, that's not true.

He wanted to be the OC in Denver, but Vic Fangio wanted his own staff. That's why Kubiak left Denver and became available to the Vikings.

My personal feeling -- Mike Zimmer will make Gary Kubiak the OC in a heartbeat if Kubiak wants it.
I sure hope so. A Zimmer/Kubiak Sr. combo, on the field, would be an excellent match. Having Kubiak Jr. in the wings for a move to OC would be an added bonus.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
The negotiator
Backup

Post by The negotiator »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:28 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Kubiak has said he does not want to be head coach again due to his health issues so that is not happening
Head coach, that's true.

Coordinator, that's not true.

He wanted to be the OC in Denver, but Vic Fangio wanted his own staff. That's why Kubiak left Denver and became available to the Vikings.

My personal feeling -- Mike Zimmer will make Gary Kubiak the OC in a heartbeat if Kubiak wants it.
I would love to have Kubiak as the OC. I think it would be a huge upgrade for us. Wish Stefanski well.
Gemfow
Rookie

Post by Gemfow »

Why do people want Shurmur back? Two reasons the offense looked better under Shurmur is because Sam Bradford could make a quick decision with the ball even though he was a statue back there. Case Keenum was very mobile and could escape pressure. Cousins doesn’t have any of those attributes to make a Zimmer offense( run on first down) go.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Gemfow wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:33 pm Why do people want Shurmur back? Two reasons the offense looked better under Shurmur is because Sam Bradford could make a quick decision with the ball even though he was a statue back there. Case Keenum was very mobile and could escape pressure. Cousins doesn’t have any of those attributes to make a Zimmer offense( run on first down) go.
Shurmar is very good at scheming players open. Play design is a big part of being an OC
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Gemfow wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:33 pm Why do people want Shurmur back? Two reasons the offense looked better under Shurmur is because Sam Bradford could make a quick decision with the ball even though he was a statue back there. Case Keenum was very mobile and could escape pressure. Cousins doesn’t have any of those attributes to make a Zimmer offense( run on first down) go.
I want Shurmur back because his players produce but it is too late now
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 pm
I want Shurmur back because his players produce but it is too late now
:hitfan:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:08 pm I hope he doesn't hire any of our talented staff away. If I'm not mistaken, many came with Kubiak, so they're unlikely to leave.
It's started, Patterson jumped off the Viking's ship:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 am
Texas Vike wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:08 pm I hope he doesn't hire any of our talented staff away. If I'm not mistaken, many came with Kubiak, so they're unlikely to leave.
I think you meant Edwards. :)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:59 am
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 am

I think you meant Edwards. :)
Good catch. I did, indeed, mean Edwards. It's probably telling, actually, that I have a stronger picture of WHO Andre Patterson is than who coach Edwards is. Zimmer's shadow on D looms large. I can see why Edwards might want to step out of it.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

For me the big thing I'm paying attend to is the quality of the hires for the coordinator positions. Here is why:

The cap situation we are in is ugly. We are likely to lose players. We might get some back if they are willing to sign team friendly deals (Griffen might be a candidate here.) but I doubt they get them all back. So unless we have some guy low on the depth chart that is ready to blow up, the team might take a step back on Defense. Even on offense they are not likely to make any major free agent splashes.

Thus, just as last year, the place they can improve is via coaching and that is why I think these hires are important. IMO, Stefanski was a step up from Defelippo, but he wasn't that much of a step up. There were a few games where the game planning was extremely lack luster this year. Also, there seemed to be an inability to adapt on the fly, adjustments just were not happening at a speed that one would consider comfortable. Lastly, we saw in a few games that the team really had issues with late 4Q playcalling. (Most notoriously vs. KC.) So IMO, there is room for improvement. (FYI, this is why I wanted Shurmer back, Shurmer is proven in this game planning and adjusting departments.)

On Defense it is less concerning although I'm curious as to why Edwards is not coming back. Did he resign, was he politely let go, what happened? Seems like there is more to this story? I suspect there is some internal stuff behind this change, but we'll never know. Defense had problems this season, that is obvious. Perhaps Edwards departure is a result of this? Or is he a scapegoat?

My biggest fear is that we see either an uninspired hire, like promoting Rick Dennison or making Kubiak full time OC. Or they bring in some NFL journeyman who has been everywhere but never produced. Guy I'd most like to see is Josh McDaniels, but I suspect that is extremely unlikely.

On Defense it will be interesting to see who they bring in. I have no idea who fits that mold or even what the mold is?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:12 am For me the big thing I'm paying attend to is the quality of the hires for the coordinator positions. Here is why:

The cap situation we are in is ugly. We are likely to lose players. We might get some back if they are willing to sign team friendly deals (Griffen might be a candidate here.) but I doubt they get them all back. So unless we have some guy low on the depth chart that is ready to blow up, the team might take a step back on Defense. Even on offense they are not likely to make any major free agent splashes.

Thus, just as last year, the place they can improve is via coaching and that is why I think these hires are important. IMO, Stefanski was a step up from Defelippo, but he wasn't that much of a step up. There were a few games where the game planning was extremely lack luster this year. Also, there seemed to be an inability to adapt on the fly, adjustments just were not happening at a speed that one would consider comfortable. Lastly, we saw in a few games that the team really had issues with late 4Q playcalling. (Most notoriously vs. KC.) So IMO, there is room for improvement. (FYI, this is why I wanted Shurmer back, Shurmer is proven in this game planning and adjusting departments.)

On Defense it is less concerning although I'm curious as to why Edwards is not coming back. Did he resign, was he politely let go, what happened? Seems like there is more to this story? I suspect there is some internal stuff behind this change, but we'll never know. Defense had problems this season, that is obvious. Perhaps Edwards departure is a result of this? Or is he a scapegoat?

My biggest fear is that we see either an uninspired hire, like promoting Rick Dennison or making Kubiak full time OC. Or they bring in some NFL journeyman who has been everywhere but never produced. Guy I'd most like to see is Josh McDaniels, but I suspect that is extremely unlikely.

On Defense it will be interesting to see who they bring in. I have no idea who fits that mold or even what the mold is?
He probably felt he was not given the credit for the defense that he deserves. The strength of this team has been the defense since 2014, and 2 OC's have been hired from it to be HCs, while he remains a DC. People assume it is all Zimmer, and so he probably feels he will never get a fair shake. He is probably right.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 am
mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:12 am For me the big thing I'm paying attend to is the quality of the hires for the coordinator positions. Here is why:

He probably felt he was not given the credit for the defense that he deserves. The strength of this team has been the defense since 2014, and 2 OC's have been hired from it to be HCs, while he remains a DC. People assume it is all Zimmer, and so he probably feels he will never get a fair shake. He is probably right.
You could be right, but why wait until now? If that was the case why not blow out in 2017 when the defense was #1 in the league and his stock would be at it's apex?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 am
You could be right, but why wait until now? If that was the case why not blow out in 2017 when the defense was #1 in the league and his stock would be at it's apex?
I'm guessing the answer to that is Stefanksi. Edwards has an in with Stef and a chance to be an actual DC who calls the plays. It's probably the best chance he'll get, because I think everyone in the league knew he was not calling plays in 2017, so I'm not sure he was getting that shot anywhere else.
Damian
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 amYou could be right, but why wait until now? If that was the case why not blow out in 2017 when the defense was #1 in the league and his stock would be at it's apex?
He was under contract and now he's not.