Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

Post by VikingLord »

StpViking wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:25 pm My entire attention will be focus on the Vikings OL. This is probably the worst match possible for them as a unit. The coaches better have a good game plan. If it's just let them play and giving the Ole You Can Do It speech, even if the the Vikings are given +30 points, I would still take the Niners.
I don't know about that.

Do the 49ers have a good defensive line? Yes. They are athletic and aggressive.

Do they have a weakness? Also yes. They are not large, especially in the middle.

So the real question for me in this matchup is can the Vikings expose the weakness while minimizing the strength? Doing that requires two things - first and foremost, they have to get and stay ahead or at worst even in the score so that they can credibly threaten play action, and second, they have to be able to run it, especially between the tackles and especially early on. Both things are necessary to compromise the 49er defensive front.

If the Vikings end up in a lot of 3rd-and-6 or longers and obvious passing situations, that maximizes every strength the 49ers have on defense. Their pass rushers can pin back their ears and come hard after Cousins while their pass defense can clamp down on the short and medium routes and make Cousins beat them.

Left unsaid in this is the role the defense has to play in not letting the score get out of hand, especially early. It won't surprise me at all if the Vikings struggle on offense for a bit. The 49ers have had 2 weeks of rest and are healthy. They will be jacked up and their fans will be loud. If the offense has a few early drives that aren't successful, the defense simply cannot allow the 49er offense to have early success either. If the Vikings can weather that likely early storm on both sides of the ball, I really like their chances for the game. If they get down by 10+ early, that tilts the field heavily in the favor of the 49ers.

Basic point is, the 49ers defense has a notable strength and a notable weakness, and Zimmer and the Vikings must expose that weakness and minimize that strength. Do that, especially early, and they likely win the game provided they avoid costly turnovers and penalties.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

One other item of note - the 49ers cooled as the season wound down. They started 8-0 and finished 5-3. Granted, it seemed their schedule got much more challenging down the stretch, but if you look at their defensive line, for example, all of them cooled notably in terms of sacks and pressures in the 2nd half of the season.

The 49ers are not a juggernaut. They're a solid all-around team, but they are far from dominant IMHO. The Vikings need to bring their A game to beat them, but I don't think there is a team in the NFC that the Vikings can't beat if they execute well on both sides of the ball.

There is no substantial talent gap between the two teams. This is a very winnable game.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

mrhusqvarna4 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:15 am New to your Vikings site😊 49er fan since 1964,and thought the 7.5 points is too much also.The 9ers are coached too well to take the Vikings lightly so no advantage there.Were not too bad against the run,its running QBs that get us! I'm looking forward to a close game,could go either way I think! More gray hairs too come🤣
Welcome to our board. I was born in 64, been a Vikes fan as soon as I knew I could understand what football was, Dad started me out right away. So you only have a little bit more time on me.
Its gonna be a heckuva match up.
I'm not saying this as any precursor excuse, but our secondary being so banged up, now Theilen getting cleareted and needing stitches in practice, and you guys getting healthy on D and getting some studs back doesn't help our situation. But that's football. I just wish it wasn't that way. I would really rather have both teams healthy on both sides of the ball and have it be an even slugfest.
But it's those situations that show a true test for the teams toughness and resolve, and how good a coaching staff is in making the necessary adjustments.
Its gonna be a fun game to see. And I will say this, of course I want us to win.. BADLY... but if we don't, I guarantee you that I will be rooting for the Niners to be the NFC SB participant.
But I really hope its us. If you have been a fan that long you have already got that satisfaction that has eluded us for TOO long.
I just want to experience it before I'm done on this earth.
I already have the gray hair, I'm worried about losing more tomorrow.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
mrhusqvarna4
Waterboy

Post by mrhusqvarna4 »

I'll be rooting for Minnesota if you beat us tomorrow, can't stand media boys Rodgers,Wilson and his gun chewing dirty coach Pete! It is pretty nice that the four remaining teams are from only two divisions.No east coast south nfc teams left.I also enjoyed you beating ferret face in New Orleans last week😊.People over analyze football,who ever wants it more shows up all the time! If you block and tackle well you probably win.Not flashy but it's never fails.Dalvin Cook won't be much if your line has problems with our defense,and the same goes with our backs! Other than that I'm wondering how well the Vikings play on grass? I know both teams will be slower but the 9ers have an advantage in being on their home turf I would think.Good luck to the Vikes and pray the refs dont leave too big of mark on the game!
Seattle49er
Waterboy

Post by Seattle49er »

mrhusqvarna4 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 am I'll be rooting for Minnesota if you beat us tomorrow, can't stand media boys Rodgers,Wilson and his gun chewing dirty coach Pete! It is pretty nice that the four remaining teams are from only two divisions.No east coast south nfc teams left.I also enjoyed you beating ferret face in New Orleans last week😊.People over analyze football,who ever wants it more shows up all the time! If you block and tackle well you probably win.Not flashy but it's never fails.Dalvin Cook won't be much if your line has problems with our defense,and the same goes with our backs! Other than that I'm wondering how well the Vikings play on grass? I know both teams will be slower but the 9ers have an advantage in being on their home turf I would think.Good luck to the Vikes and pray the refs dont leave too big of mark on the game!
If we lose I will root for Vikings to go to SB, sick of AR, and especially RW. Try living here with all these 1-2s, worst fans ever, worse than Cowboy fans.

Here's to a good game with no injuries on either side.

Go 9ers!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

mrhusqvarna4 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 am I'll be rooting for Minnesota if you beat us tomorrow, can't stand media boys Rodgers,Wilson and his gun chewing dirty coach Pete! It is pretty nice that the four remaining teams are from only two divisions.No east coast south nfc teams left.I also enjoyed you beating ferret face in New Orleans last week😊.People over analyze football,who ever wants it more shows up all the time! If you block and tackle well you probably win.Not flashy but it's never fails.Dalvin Cook won't be much if your line has problems with our defense,and the same goes with our backs! Other than that I'm wondering how well the Vikings play on grass? I know both teams will be slower but the 9ers have an advantage in being on their home turf I would think.Good luck to the Vikes and pray the refs dont leave too big of mark on the game!
Buddy if u ever decide to switch teams for some reason, and I can tell ur a dedicated loyal Niners fan. But if somehow you did, I will invite you with open arms over to our our Purple blood spilling Viking family. We will adopt you.
When you referred to Wilson and Erin Rodgers as media boys, and gum chewing Dirty Pete ya made me like ya alot. But when you stated you were glad we beat Ferret Face, well ya became a brother in my book lol. I must say I've never likes an opposing teams fan as well as you. Well , except for my best friend and bowhunting partner who is a die hard Bears fan.
But no matter what happens tomorrow, you are welcome her bro, cuz you ain't a troll. Your a respectable dude who just happens to root for the other team. Really cool attitude you came with. Your alright brother. But I still hope we win. If not, then I will wish you the best of luck.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Stanley49
Waterboy

Post by Stanley49 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:22 am One other item of note - the 49ers cooled as the season wound down. They started 8-0 and finished 5-3. Granted, it seemed their schedule got much more challenging down the stretch, but if you look at their defensive line, for example, all of them cooled notably in terms of sacks and pressures in the 2nd half of the season.

The 49ers are not a juggernaut. They're a solid all-around team, but they are far from dominant IMHO. The Vikings need to bring their A game to beat them, but I don't think there is a team in the NFC that the Vikings can't beat if they execute well on both sides of the ball.

There is no substantial talent gap between the two teams. This is a very winnable game.

Our defensive line has struggled because we lost Ford, and two lesser known but highly productive player in DJ Jones and Ronald Blair. DJ Jones was a force in the middle next to Buckner, and Blair was a rotational DE that was ALWAYS around the QB.

The return of Kwon and Tartt also helps get this defense back to where it was.

Looking forward to this game to see how it all shakes out :beerock:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

It seems like all the "experts" have shifted slowly over the past week and are now mostly on the Vikings. I don't like that. Joe public is backing the Niners though.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:38 pm It seems like all the "experts" have shifted slowly over the past week and are now mostly on the Vikings. I don't like that. Joe public is backing the Niners though.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think you are seeing experts pick the Vikings, but only against the spread. 7 points is a stupid spread IMO, and I think the Vikings will cover that. Doesn't mean they will win. I think the vast majority still think the 49ers will win outright though, unless I'm not seeing what you are.
Damian
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Dames wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:23 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:38 pm It seems like all the "experts" have shifted slowly over the past week and are now mostly on the Vikings. I don't like that. Joe public is backing the Niners though.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think you are seeing experts pick the Vikings, but only against the spread. 7 points is a stupid spread IMO, and I think the Vikings will cover that. Doesn't mean they will win. I think the vast majority still think the 49ers will win outright though, unless I'm not seeing what you are.
Could be. One of my good friends is a Niner fan and he was sending me screenshots and it was almost all Vikings.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I still think the point spread between the teams is insulting to the Vikings. The Vikings are a solid team that has tended to underperform in key situations all year. If they regress (progress?) towards the mean, it stands to reason they'll overperform at some point, and what better point than this point for that to happen? It certainly did in OT against the Saints.

Any way, hard to justify more than a slightly larger than 3 point spread IMHO.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 pm
Dames wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:23 pm
Could be. One of my good friends is a Niner fan and he was sending me screenshots and it was almost all Vikings.
Fake news...

:lol:
Nc49erfan
Waterboy

Post by Nc49erfan »

Niner fan here. I’m excited for tomorrow should be a great game. I see a lot of you are sure about Jimmy g getting rattled. In all honesty he has had ice in his veins the only game I’d say he got rattled was our first game against Seattle he was cool until the final drive . He got some happy feet but he still drove down the field and we lost by a missed field goal by a temporary kicker. We are also getting dee ford, jaquiski tartt and Kwon Alexander back opposing qbs have a total qbr of 3 out of a 100 when they are on the field. We were a dominant unit until these guys got hurt now they are back. Please feel free to Ask any questions here for some good conversations
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Kearse ruled out. There goes the plan to have him cover Kittle.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Nc49erfan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:54 pm Niner fan here. I’m excited for tomorrow should be a great game. I see a lot of you are sure about Jimmy g getting rattled. In all honesty he has had ice in his veins the only game I’d say he got rattled was our first game against Seattle he was cool until the final drive . He got some happy feet but he still drove down the field and we lost by a missed field goal by a temporary kicker. We are also getting dee ford, jaquiski tartt and Kwon Alexander back opposing qbs have a total qbr of 3 out of a 100 when they are on the field. We were a dominant unit until these guys got hurt now they are back. Please feel free to Ask any questions here for some good conversations
Welcome.

Now for the bad news. The thing about your QBR stat is that it's based on a grand total of 108 snaps. That's about a game and a half. The most important ability for any football player is availability. If your big three has played 108 snaps together, I'm not sure I'd be bragging about that. And who were those snaps against? Whoever is citing this stat doesn't say. Convenient.

Look, I'm not here to start World War III. Your team is really good, and your defense is really good. We all know that. You don't need meaningless cherry-picked stats to prove it.

As for Jimmy G., he's had a good season. He's been a major reason for your success. But I wouldn't say he's better than our guy. His stats are virtually identical except he has roughly twice the turnovers. He finished fairly strong and dropped his INT rate from more than 3.5% after 10 games, which was one of the highest in the league, to 2.8%. That's exactly twice the INT rate of Kirk Cousins. And the Vikings have forced 13 turnovers in their last 4 games, so Jimmy G had best take care of the football because our defense has been really opportunistic (and good) over the past month.

You guys are favored, and you should be. Our win over New Orleans doesn't suddenly turn us into a better team than the 13-3 Niners. But y'know, a funny thing is happening. After fawning over the Vikings until about Tuesday, the media are regressing to the mean ... everybody is picking the 49ers, and number of "experts" are predicting a blowout. Fine by us. Disrespect does interesting things to men. The Vikings are better when they're disrespected. Ask the Saints.

Should be a great game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.