Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CanUDiggsIt?
Rookie

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

Post by CanUDiggsIt? »

I have a bad feeling about this game for one reason: Team health. Joseph, Diggs, Kearse, Thielen currently listed as Questionable, and recent injuries or the flu bug affecting Cook, Kendricks, Rhodes, Waynes, Sendejo, and Mattison (among others). The 49ers only have their right guard, backup DE, and Dee Ford on the injury list, with no notable recent injuries and a week off to recover. We are going to have to show grit and toughness to turn this game into a W!!
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

My entire attention will be focus on the Vikings OL. This is probably the worst match possible for them as a unit. The coaches better have a good game plan. If it's just let them play and giving the Ole You Can Do It speech, even if the the Vikings are given +30 points, I would still take the Niners.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Seattle49er
Waterboy

Post by Seattle49er »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 pm So here is what I have learned two days of speaking to 49ers fans.

1. They are highly convinced that we can't win.
2. They think Zimmer is overrated
3. They Think Jimmy G is elite
4. Their WRs and Kyle scheming will be trouble for us
5. Their defense is finally healthy and they will unleash the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.
6. We have no chance.

Some were reasonable but most are like We just won a game and we arent anything. Miami is in the bag
Not sure where you're reading this but most of the 9er fans I know are definitely not looking past the Vikings let alone the Hawks or Packers.

I think you have it backwards, most are reasonable and like most fan bases there are some that really don't understand football.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StpViking wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:25 pm My entire attention will be focus on the Vikings OL. This is probably the worst match possible for them as a unit. The coaches better have a good game plan. If it's just let them play and giving the Ole You Can Do It speech, even if the the Vikings are given +30 points, I would still take the Niners.
I dont know why but I just noticed your sig. Are you mimicking what Cousins' cadence??!! If so, this couldnt be more accurate :lol: :lol: :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'd rather the media think this team has no chance, this team seems to play better when they have something to prove. It's a little odd actually that they can't self-motivate themselves. It shouldn't take a "you like that" type of situation to come ready to play on Sunday. Hopefully they learned from the last time they beat the Saints.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:51 pm I'd rather the media think this team has no chance, this team seems to play better when they have something to prove. It's a little odd actually that they can't self-motivate themselves. It shouldn't take a "you like that" type of situation to come ready to play on Sunday. Hopefully they learned from the last time they beat the Saints.
The media is starting to switch now. People will be picking us. Others will call it a close game blah blah blah. I don't give a blank about that stuff. We need to have a solid effort. I don't know this team but if Zim develops a great scheme and Cook gets rolling we will give them a battle. Heading to the west cost is never easy. I hope we pound this Grapollo. Here's a guy who has done nothing and is considered a great QB. He threw 13 ints this year. That's a high number. I don't understand the hype.
Seattle49er
Waterboy

Post by Seattle49er »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:44 pm
S197 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:51 pm I'd rather the media think this team has no chance, this team seems to play better when they have something to prove. It's a little odd actually that they can't self-motivate themselves. It shouldn't take a "you like that" type of situation to come ready to play on Sunday. Hopefully they learned from the last time they beat the Saints.
The media is starting to switch now. People will be picking us. Others will call it a close game blah blah blah. I don't give a blank about that stuff. We need to have a solid effort. I don't know this team but if Zim develops a great scheme and Cook gets rolling we will give them a battle. Heading to the west cost is never easy. I hope we pound this Grapollo. Here's a guy who has done nothing and is considered a great QB. He threw 13 ints this year. That's a high number. I don't understand the hype.
Besides the INTs, his stats are equal to Cousins. The INT stat is deceiving because a lot of them were the result of balls bouncing off receiver's hands.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Seattle49er wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:04 pm
Besides the INTs, his stats are equal to Cousins. The INT stat is deceiving because a lot of them were the result of balls bouncing off receiver's hands.
You're new here. Welcome.

CharVike is very opinionated. Good dude who tends to be pretty extreme in the way he voices his views.

I'm glad most Niner fans aren't taking the Vikings for granted. Saints fans (and the media, and just about everybody else) took us for granted, and now they're watching the rest of us play.

I know for a fact that we don't take the 49ers for granted (I mean, we're the 6 seed). Yours is a solid team on virtually every level, and we're going to have to be at our very best to come away with a win, especially on the road.

Here's my mind dump on this game. I'd be interested in your take.

To me, the first key for the Vikings is to keep the 49ers from running all over us. The Niners are a lot like the Vikings in that when the running game works, everything else tends to work. And while we have two very good running backs (one is among the very best in the game), you guys have THREE. That means you always have fresh legs in the game, which is tough for your opponents. Like us, you run a lot of 21 and 22 personnel, but Kittle at tight end is like a wide receiver in the passing game. That makes you guys very dangerous in play action ... much like us. You guys run the most play-action of any team in the league, and we're second.

During the season, we only ran about 20% of our plays in 3-receiver sets, which was among the lowest in the league. Against the Saints, though, we ran a lot more 3-receiver sets than we ever do in the season. I think it caught them off guard. I'll be interested to see what Kevin Stefanski cooks up against SF.

Our rush defense is statistically a little better than yours, but your pass defense is definitely better than ours (although we've played really well in pass defense the past 5 weeks). I know you guys have a great pass rush, but so do we. Pass rushing feels like a push to me ... same number of sacks, and about the same number of pressures. As for protecting quarterbacks, Jimmy G was sacked 8 more times than Cousins was, but that's fairly insignificant given that Jimmy G played 16 games to Cousins' 15.

If we can establish the run, we'll stay in this game. We may not win it, but we'll be in it to the end. If not, we could be in for a very long day. When Kirk Cousins throws fewer than 32 passes, we almost never lose. If he throws more than that, we rarely win. A lot of people think it's because Cousins can't carry the team, but that's not really true. The real reason is that if we're throwing a lot, we're typically at least 2 scores behind. We came back against Denver, but it's not a sustainable formula for our team. Just as it's not really your team's M.O. to throw 45 times.

The X-factor that scares me with your offense is Kyle Juszczyk out of the backfield. It's tough to cover really good receiving fullback because you just can't account for everybody, and the fullback often gets left unattended. We tend to get burned by tight ends over the middle because we play so much Cover 2, so I suspect Zimmer will change that up. But if we try to play more man, I don't know who's gonna play nickel corner in sub packages. Our "big nickel," Jayron Kearse, has been battling injuries, and our other slot corners are both injured. Against the Saints, we used a safety, Andrew Sendejo. I don't think he can stay with your slot receivers. Zimmer is going to have to get really creative.

If we have one fairly significant advantage, it's experience. For many guys on the Vikings, this is their third or fourth trip to the playoffs. For you guys, obviously Richard Sherman is very experienced in the playoffs. Jimmy G has been to Super Bowls, but he's never played a postseason down. Not sure about the rest of your guys. Who else has playoff experience?

The advantages for you guys, at least from where I sit ... you're healthier than we are, and you're at home.

I think it's significant that Kirk Cousins played the way he did last week, especially in overtime. In the past, if we needed a drive at the end, you could pretty much chalk up an "L" for the Vikings. I'm not so sure anymore. Cousins was REALLY good on that drive in overtime against the Saints. He may have turned a corner.

It's gonna be quite the chess game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Grap had a great year. I didn't realize what he had done so I looked at the final numbers. I agree stats can be deceiving. I was surprised with the ints. Not saying he's a bum or anything like that. The guy runs the offense very well. The one stat that isn't deceiving is W and L. He lead your team to a first round by. That's impressive no matter how it's sliced. Cousins couldn't do that.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

It worked well the first time I have ever picked the Vikings to lose a playoff game, so let me try it again.

The Vikings lose 17-13 in a low scoring defensive battle. The offensive line struggles against a great SF pass rush, the passing game is a disaster and the only bright spots are a few big splash plays by Diggs and Cook.

Jimmy G is completely overwhelmed in his first playoff game, but a defensive score is the difference in this one.

SF is the better team, they are at home, but I could easily see the 9ers take a massive dump and get blown out by 20 by the Vikings. I don't think this will be a high scoring game, but will either be a blowout one way or the other, or a low scoring defensive battle.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Just heard news per Tom Pelissero that Adam Thielen suffered a cut on his ankle (got cleated) that required stitches. It’s not a structural injury, and he should be able to play on Saturday. They’re just being cautious with him.

Digs has been sick but is feeling better and will play.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:34 pm

You're new here. Welcome.

CharVike is very opinionated. Good dude who tends to be pretty extreme in the way he voices his views.

I'm glad most Niner fans aren't taking the Vikings for granted. Saints fans (and the media, and just about everybody else) took us for granted, and now they're watching the rest of us play.

I know for a fact that we don't take the 49ers for granted (I mean, we're the 6 seed). Yours is a solid team on virtually every level, and we're going to have to be at our very best to come away with a win, especially on the road.

Here's my mind dump on this game. I'd be interested in your take.

To me, the first key for the Vikings is to keep the 49ers from running all over us. The Niners are a lot like the Vikings in that when the running game works, everything else tends to work. And while we have two very good running backs (one is among the very best in the game), you guys have THREE. That means you always have fresh legs in the game, which is tough for your opponents. Like us, you run a lot of 21 and 22 personnel, but Kittle at tight end is like a wide receiver in the passing game. That makes you guys very dangerous in play action ... much like us. You guys run the most play-action of any team in the league, and we're second.

During the season, we only ran about 20% of our plays in 3-receiver sets, which was among the lowest in the league. Against the Saints, though, we ran a lot more 3-receiver sets than we ever do in the season. I think it caught them off guard. I'll be interested to see what Kevin Stefanski cooks up against SF.

Our rush defense is statistically a little better than yours, but your pass defense is definitely better than ours (although we've played really well in pass defense the past 5 weeks). I know you guys have a great pass rush, but so do we. Pass rushing feels like a push to me ... same number of sacks, and about the same number of pressures. As for protecting quarterbacks, Jimmy G was sacked 8 more times than Cousins was, but that's fairly insignificant given that Jimmy G played 16 games to Cousins' 15.

If we can establish the run, we'll stay in this game. We may not win it, but we'll be in it to the end. If not, we could be in for a very long day. When Kirk Cousins throws fewer than 32 passes, we almost never lose. If he throws more than that, we rarely win. A lot of people think it's because Cousins can't carry the team, but that's not really true. The real reason is that if we're throwing a lot, we're typically at least 2 scores behind. We came back against Denver, but it's not a sustainable formula for our team. Just as it's not really your team's M.O. to throw 45 times.

The X-factor that scares me with your offense is Kyle Juszczyk out of the backfield. It's tough to cover really good receiving fullback because you just can't account for everybody, and the fullback often gets left unattended. We tend to get burned by tight ends over the middle because we play so much Cover 2, so I suspect Zimmer will change that up. But if we try to play more man, I don't know who's gonna play nickel corner in sub packages. Our "big nickel," Jayron Kearse, has been battling injuries, and our other slot corners are both injured. Against the Saints, we used a safety, Andrew Sendejo. I don't think he can stay with your slot receivers. Zimmer is going to have to get really creative.

If we have one fairly significant advantage, it's experience. For many guys on the Vikings, this is their third or fourth trip to the playoffs. For you guys, obviously Richard Sherman is very experienced in the playoffs. Jimmy G has been to Super Bowls, but he's never played a postseason down. Not sure about the rest of your guys. Who else has playoff experience?

The advantages for you guys, at least from where I sit ... you're healthier than we are, and you're at home.

I think it's significant that Kirk Cousins played the way he did last week, especially in overtime. In the past, if we needed a drive at the end, you could pretty much chalk up an "L" for the Vikings. I'm not so sure anymore. Cousins was REALLY good on that drive in overtime against the Saints. He may have turned a corner.

It's gonna be quite the chess game.
Good post Kapp. And Jimmy G has also had a few more fumbles than Cousins as well.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Wow just saw an interesting stat! Since Mike Zimmer has been here, he is 40-0 when they run the ball 30+ times on offense. That is pretty darn impressive. Maybe that's why he was so ticked with Flip last year when the guy flat out refused to run the ball.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I keep looking at this Atlanta/SF game wondering what the cause was for SF losing. By the looks of it, Atlanta ran a solid amount of play action (something SFs defense REALLY struggles with). And they have a much less dangerous RB to pay attention to in Freeman compared to Cook. Atlanta also played good defense that game holding SFs run offense in check.

I think that is the key in our game tomorrow. Take advantage of SFs defense weaknesses and stop the run on defense. Make Garoppolo beat us. I dont think he can, ESPECIALLY if we can find ways to pressure him. I think Zim needs to bring more blitzes against Jimmy than he did Brees. Brees is very good at diagnosing the blitz and getting it out so we sat back alot that game and our front 4 did the work. Moving Hunter and Griff inside was genius and I expect to see some of that this week given SFs guards are just as weak. Jimmy is VERY shaky when blitzes are coming. He was very shaky against us last year. Disguising is key because that's going to make him panic.

I had a great feeling all week about that Saints game and I feel the same exact way with this game. I think we match up well with SF.

I'm calling 27-20 Vikings!!
-Chazz Palminteri
mrhusqvarna4
Waterboy

Post by mrhusqvarna4 »

New to your Vikings site😊 49er fan since 1964,and thought the 7.5 points is too much also.The 9ers are coached too well to take the Vikings lightly so no advantage there.Were not too bad against the run,its running QBs that get us! I'm looking forward to a close game,could go either way I think! More gray hairs too come🤣