Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

Post by Purple Domination »

Yikes, Thielen's ankle injury was sustained today in practice. Hope it is minor or Diggsy can step it up. By the way, did anyone notice how well Sendejo played last week after his "illness"?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:46 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:02 pm

Pretty interesting take. I do find it funny though that all these analysts are now backpedaling when it comes to this team and Cousins. If the Saints beat us, you wouldnt hear the word "vikings" on NFL Network until next season. But NOW, some are saying we can be contenders and we have a shot now and Cousins this and Cousins that. They really tick me off sometimes. You doubted us and you were wrong. Period. Dont sit here and backpedal and try to praise the Vikings. You dug your hole, nobody cares what you have to say at this point. At this point, all I care to hear from is this board and fellow Vikings fans. We as fans are no different than this team. Everyone in the NFL is doubting the Vikings (no matter what you hear NOW) but the team believes. Just like we all believe. There arent many non-Vikings fans out there that think we can make any kind of run in the playoffs. We as Vikings fans do. What this team did all year means nothing now. It's about getting hot at the right time and right now, we're sizzling and need to continue that.
Last night my wife heard me in the basement say " Oh yeah, sure singing s different tune now dickhead" lol. She said What???
I started laughing and said come here and see who I'm talking to.
I reversed the DVR and she said He was one of the guys saying there was no way the Vikings would win!!
I said That's why I said that.
It was Micheal Robinson.
I know its human nature, but its sure amazing how many of them all of a sudden are on the "Beware those Vikings" bandwagon.
They hate to be wrong and most are big enough guys to say I was wrong. To Robinson's credit, he is the only guy I have seen look the camera in the eye and said, "Kirk, I was wrong about you". All the other guys just rolled passed it or focused on the OPI.
Of course, if we lose on Sat, its back to Kirk aint ####.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Purple Domination wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm Yikes, Thielen's ankle injury was sustained today in practice. Hope it is minor or Diggsy can step it up. By the way, did anyone notice how well Sendejo played last week after his "illness"?
Hopefully just a tweak and precaution. Hard to imagine anything severe like a high ankle sprain in practice. Doubt their going very hard, but never know, I guess.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Last night my wife heard me in the basement say " Oh yeah, sure singing s different tune now dickhead" lol. She said What???
I reversed the DVR and she said He was one of the guys saying there was no way the Vikings would win!!
It was Micheal Robinson.
I know its human nature, but its sure amazing how many of them all of a sudden are on the "Beware those Vikings" bandwagon.
They hate to be wrong and most are big enough guys to say I was wrong. To Robinson's credit, he is the only guy I have seen look the camera in the eye and said, "Kirk, I was wrong about you". All the other guys just rolled passed it or focused on the OPI.
Yes I should have also put that at the end of the post he did do that. But later on he once again did the will that Kirk or bad Kirk show up. Monday morning Nate Burleson said he was gonna pick the Vikings but was too much of a coward to. His exact words.
Media media.
Just watched a Rudy interviewed on Total Access. Pretty cool just hearing the confidence that it sounds like the whole team seems to have. It wasn't that standard cookie cutter answer either. It just seemed like the team really got galvanized this past week and really believe in their chances.
I felt good watching it. Gave me a shot of confidence.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Oh and another cool thing about Rudy's interview. Scott Hansen asked him if he may have hit away with a little OPI on the play. Rudy said well since every scoring play is reviewed, it was reviewed and it wasn't called so there was no OPI. Excellent the way he answered it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

It was Micheal Robinson.
Brees is the guy these people love. They should be talking about why a big time winner can't win a home playoff game. These NFL teams are aware of us. You need to get pressure on Cousins. He will have trouble. If we get pressure on Grapolo he will have trouble. I've seen Aikman struggle with pressure. That's why getting pressure is so important. Brady is the same way. Pressure and hits and he don't seem to be the same guy. All these teams know about the Vikings.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Brees is the guy these people love. They should be talking about why a big time winner can't win a home playoff game. These NFL teams are aware of us. You need to get pressure on Cousins. He will have trouble. If we get pressure on Grapolo he will have trouble. I've seen Aikman struggle with pressure. That's why getting pressure is so important. Brady is the same way. Pressure and hits and he don't seem to be the same guy. All these teams know about the Vikings.
Are you a robot?
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

And now for something completely different:
As a Vikes fan for the last 49 years, I’m wondering if the uniforms/helmets have become “too purple.” Almost fuchsia rather than purple. What say you Vikes fans?
4mnvikings82
Practice Squad

Post by 4mnvikings82 »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:43 pm And now for something completely different:
As a Vikes fan for the last 49 years, I’m wondering if the uniforms/helmets have become “too purple.” Almost fuchsia rather than purple. What say you Vikes fans?
I am not a huge fan of the new purple. I like the old purple from the Allen page era
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:43 pm And now for something completely different:
Great question man. One my dad and my buddies have talked about alot. I'm in the old school camp. I miss the good old dark purple. In my Vikings basement man cave I have posters of Eller, Page and Tark that my dad framed when I was a kid and hung on my bedroom walls. They now hang on the walls in the Cave. Many times during games I will look at those uniforms and look at the current ones and really miss the old dark purple.
But my wife's young nephew is a Vikes fan , and when he is here he looks at the posters, my J.C. Penney helmet I wore all the time as a kid and all the old memorabilia from my younger days and he thinks the old colors are boring looking to him and likes the new unis alot more.
It's a difference in our Eras I guess.
I say Old school dark purple for this old man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:02 pm

Pretty interesting take. I do find it funny though that all these analysts are now backpedaling when it comes to this team and Cousins. If the Saints beat us, you wouldnt hear the word "vikings" on NFL Network until next season. But NOW, some are saying we can be contenders and we have a shot now and Cousins this and Cousins that. They really tick me off sometimes. You doubted us and you were wrong. Period. Dont sit here and backpedal and try to praise the Vikings. You dug your hole, nobody cares what you have to say at this point. At this point, all I care to hear from is this board and fellow Vikings fans. We as fans are no different than this team. Everyone in the NFL is doubting the Vikings (no matter what you hear NOW) but the team believes. Just like we all believe. There arent many non-Vikings fans out there that think we can make any kind of run in the playoffs. We as Vikings fans do. What this team did all year means nothing now. It's about getting hot at the right time and right now, we're sizzling and need to continue that.
It was Micheal Robinson.
:lol: I cant stand Michael Robinson anyways. How he got a job is beyond me. The amount of times he has mispronounced players names, called someone by the wrong name, etc. is astonishing. Then add in the game picks he does throughout the year and he just doesnt seem like he has a clue. James Jones is no different. Blows the Packers any chance he gets and has a similar analyst IQ of Michael Robinson. It's like they simply got their jobs because they are former players. Nothing else.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Dmizzle0 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:41 pm
Are you a robot?
:lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:27 pm
Purple Domination wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm Yikes, Thielen's ankle injury was sustained today in practice. Hope it is minor or Diggsy can step it up. By the way, did anyone notice how well Sendejo played last week after his "illness"?
Hopefully just a tweak and precaution. Hard to imagine anything severe like a high ankle sprain in practice. Doubt their going very hard, but never know, I guess.
Supposedly he sustained a bad cut on his ankle and needed stitches but looks fine for the game. Must've taken a cleat to the ankle or something. I'd take that over him having an ankle sprain.
-Chazz Palminteri
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Exactly. This is true of every QB. Hit them, pressure them, take away their run game and then T off on obvious passing downs and every QB wilts more than not.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Nice lengthy article over on Daily Norseman breaking down the game. It's obviously biased towards the Vikings, being on a Vikings-centric website, but it's very encouraging, none-the-less.

Vikings vs. 49ers: The Match-Up

The article links to an ESPN article that it also very interesting.
Fatal flaws for playoff contenders

From that article:
On defense, though, the 49ers have struggled to stop opposing offenses when they fire up their own play-action opportunities. While the San Francisco defense has generally been great in 2019, Robert Saleh's unit has allowed teams to post a passer rating of 112.9 off play-action, which ranks 24th in the NFL. When teams haven't used play-action, the 49ers have allowed a passer rating of 66.6, which is second in the NFL behind the Patriots.

The Vikings have been the league's most devastating play-action team. They've actually turned to play-action on nearly 32% of their dropbacks, which is just ahead of the 49ers for the second-highest rate. It has unlocked a career year for Kirk Cousins, who has thrown 13 touchdown passes without an interception and posted a passer rating of 136.3 off play-action. No passer with 100 play-action attempts or more has been better.
Damian