Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings/49ers Pre-Game Thread

Post by Dames »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:52 pm Speaking of that, I think it is important to note that this is Jimmy G's first ever playoff game as a starting QB. He's played well all year, but if Zimmer was able to throw Brees off with some unique looks, I hope he can do some of the same to Garappolo.
I'm really hoping that SF's inexperience in the playoffs plays a factor. I suspect the Vikings have a lot more players who have some recent playoff experience. 2017, and even the playoff game last week has to help them mentally at least in some regard. The 49ers are young and inexperienced, and the playoffs are a different animal. I don't think it's a major factor, but it could definitely play a part, especially if they come out tight and have a couple things go the wrong way for them early. I know one thing, they have a lot of pressure on them to perform. #1 seed carries a heavy weight. The Vikings are under pressure too, but should be playing a little more loosely this week. Of course, this is all conjecture... but it makes some sense at least.
Damian
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

My biggest fear right now is the fact this is a Saturday Game on the west coast. Shortened week and big travel. Never good.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 pm So here is what I have learned two days of speaking to 49ers fans.

1. They are highly convinced that we can't win.
2. They think Zimmer is overrated
3. They Think Jimmy G is elite
4. Their WRs and Kyle scheming will be trouble for us
5. Their defense is finally healthy and they will unleash the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.
6. We have no chance.

Some were reasonable but most are like We just won a game and we arent anything. Miami is in the bag
In their defense everywhere they look the sports media is agreeing with them. I agree with those who opined that the same meeting told the Saints fans the same thing.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 am My biggest fear right now is the fact this is a Saturday Game on the west coast. Shortened week and big travel. Never good.
Short rest, maybe, but Teams travelling East to West typically isnt as big a factor as teams going West to East due to losing time and generally playing earlier in the day on the "body clock."

I believe Minnesota's experience is going to help and I think they're going to come out sharp and San Francisco will take a bit to get their feet under them. On the short rest, itl'l almost feel to them like a continuation of last week and keep it rolling. I'm assuming the game will be close, but I think the national media and many others are overlooking how the Vikings can turn this situation into a positive. Ideally, SFs defense comes out overly aggressive and their offense is stagnant due to the layoff -- both of which aren't completely uncommon for teams with a bye.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 am My biggest fear right now is the fact this is a Saturday Game on the west coast. Shortened week and big travel. Never good.
A grass field is another factor I worry about. Does anyone know if we have a grass practice facility we are using this week that is not in the sub zero temps?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 pm So here is what I have learned two days of speaking to 49ers fans.

5. Their defense is finally healthy and they will unleash the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.
6. We have no chance.

Some were reasonable but most are like We just won a game and we arent anything. Miami is in the bag
When I was younger I felt like that about several Vikings teams, the most recent being probably the 2009 team with Favre at the helm.

As I get older and gain more experience, I know literally *nothing* is ever truly in the bag no matter the pre-game hype, especially in the playoffs.

Still can't say that the Vikings will win, but I am pretty confident they won't get blown out if they lose. If the 49er players are looking past the Vikings at all, they're likely in for a rude awakening.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Obviously every year I want the Vikings to win a SB. I think the reason 2017 was so hard to take was because I wanted the Vikings to be the first team to play one at their home stadium, and I kinda thought after the miracle game that might be the team of destiny.

But I must say, that I am REALLY wanting it this year. I am getting sick and tired of all the Desean, Jackson, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes and Jimmy Garoppolo talk. How great it would be to have Cousins and teaqm knock off all the big names and win it all.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Dames wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:53 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:52 pm Speaking of that, I think it is important to note that this is Jimmy G's first ever playoff game as a starting QB. He's played well all year, but if Zimmer was able to throw Brees off with some unique looks, I hope he can do some of the same to Garappolo.
I'm really hoping that SF's inexperience in the playoffs plays a factor. I suspect the Vikings have a lot more players who have some recent playoff experience. 2017, and even the playoff game last week has to help them mentally at least in some regard. The 49ers are young and inexperienced, and the playoffs are a different animal. I don't think it's a major factor, but it could definitely play a part, especially if they come out tight and have a couple things go the wrong way for them early. I know one thing, they have a lot of pressure on them to perform. #1 seed carries a heavy weight. The Vikings are under pressure too, but should be playing a little more loosely this week. Of course, this is all conjecture... but it makes some sense at least.
Along those lines, Nate Burleson put it really well on NFL Network yesterday. He said that Kirk Cousins is like the guy who's rolling into the bar with all his boys behind him. Confident. When you're on your own, it's harder, but when all your boys are behind you, there's a feeling you're in good shape.

Cousins has newfound confidence. He can say all he wants that none of the chatter bothered him, but you know he's just putting on a brave face for the media and for his team. Now he KNOWS he can do it when it counts, and so does his team. That locker room scene from Sunday proves they're squarely behind him. So they should roll into SF like the posse rolling into the bar. Kirk's got his boys behind him.

San Francisco's players have very little postseason experience. Garoppolo has been to Super Bowls, but he's never played a down in a playoff game. Most everybody else has nothing. At least half our roster was here in '17. They know what it's like to win, and they know what it's like to let a win one week derail a game the following week. Several of our players were here in '15, when Walsh choked away a game where we outplayed the Seahawks. We're a seasoned playoff team. Obviously I'm biased, but I believe that means we've got as good a shot as anybody to get to Miami.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:38 pm Along those lines, Nate Burleson put it really well on NFL Network yesterday. He said that Kirk Cousins is like the guy who's rolling into the bar with all his boys behind him. Confident. When you're on your own, it's harder, but when all your boys are behind you, there's a feeling you're in good shape.

Cousins has newfound confidence. He can say all he wants that none of the chatter bothered him, but you know he's just putting on a brave face for the media and for his team. Now he KNOWS he can do it when it counts, and so does his team. That locker room scene from Sunday proves they're squarely behind him. So they should roll into SF like the posse rolling into the bar. Kirk's got his boys behind him.

San Francisco's players have very little postseason experience. Garoppolo has been to Super Bowls, but he's never played a down in a playoff game. Most everybody else has nothing. At least half our roster was here in '17. They know what it's like to win, and they know what it's like to let a win one week derail a game the following week. Several of our players were here in '15, when Walsh choked away a game where we outplayed the Seahawks. We're a seasoned playoff team. Obviously I'm biased, but I believe that means we've got as good a shot as anybody to get to Miami.
I saw that from Burleson too. I think he's right on. They really have to be feeling good about themselves. I hope it's enough to carry them to a victory. I can't imagine they'll be over-confident, but you can be sure they'll be ready to play at least.

Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

6. We have no chance.

Sounds like a bunch of tools if you ask me :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:38 pm
Dames wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:53 am
Along those lines, Nate Burleson put it really well on NFL Network yesterday. He said that Kirk Cousins is like the guy who's rolling into the bar with all his boys behind him. Confident. When you're on your own, it's harder, but when all your boys are behind you, there's a feeling you're in good shape.

Pretty interesting take. I do find it funny though that all these analysts are now backpedaling when it comes to this team and Cousins. If the Saints beat us, you wouldnt hear the word "vikings" on NFL Network until next season. But NOW, some are saying we can be contenders and we have a shot now and Cousins this and Cousins that. They really tick me off sometimes. You doubted us and you were wrong. Period. Dont sit here and backpedal and try to praise the Vikings. You dug your hole, nobody cares what you have to say at this point. At this point, all I care to hear from is this board and fellow Vikings fans. We as fans are no different than this team. Everyone in the NFL is doubting the Vikings (no matter what you hear NOW) but the team believes. Just like we all believe. There arent many non-Vikings fans out there that think we can make any kind of run in the playoffs. We as Vikings fans do. What this team did all year means nothing now. It's about getting hot at the right time and right now, we're sizzling and need to continue that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:02 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:38 pm

Pretty interesting take. I do find it funny though that all these analysts are now backpedaling when it comes to this team and Cousins. If the Saints beat us, you wouldnt hear the word "vikings" on NFL Network until next season. But NOW, some are saying we can be contenders and we have a shot now and Cousins this and Cousins that. They really tick me off sometimes. You doubted us and you were wrong. Period. Dont sit here and backpedal and try to praise the Vikings. You dug your hole, nobody cares what you have to say at this point. At this point, all I care to hear from is this board and fellow Vikings fans. We as fans are no different than this team. Everyone in the NFL is doubting the Vikings (no matter what you hear NOW) but the team believes. Just like we all believe. There arent many non-Vikings fans out there that think we can make any kind of run in the playoffs. We as Vikings fans do. What this team did all year means nothing now. It's about getting hot at the right time and right now, we're sizzling and need to continue that.
Last night my wife heard me in the basement say " Oh yeah, sure singing s different tune now dickhead" lol. She said What???
I started laughing and said come here and see who I'm talking to.
I reversed the DVR and she said He was one of the guys saying there was no way the Vikings would win!!
I said That's why I said that.
It was Micheal Robinson.
I know its human nature, but its sure amazing how many of them all of a sudden are on the "Beware those Vikings" bandwagon.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Diggs still on injury report with illness, and now Theilen added with ankle ?? That's not good. Wish we played Sunday instead of Saturday. Hope they are both ready.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:52 pm Diggs still on injury report with illness, and now Theilen added with ankle ?? That's not good. Wish we played Sunday instead of Saturday. Hope they are both ready.
Yeah, that sucks big time. I'm sure they'll both find a way to play, but hopefully it's not at 80% :(
Damian
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

They'll be fine. It's only Wednesday.