Vikings/Saints Post-Game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings/Saints Post-Game

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

quiznut1 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:22 am 2 years ago when we beat the Saints with the Minneapolis Miracle, I remember hearing of guys watching replays for quite a while into the ensuing day (maybe a couple days after). In retrospect I think it could have affected them mentally going into Philadelphia.

While the emotional high is not (in my opinion) as much as the Minneapolis Miracle, My hope is Zimmer will put the clamps down and not let the guys look at any replays after yesterday evening.

As I stated before, the road is not going to get easier. They are going to need as much mental/emotional preparedness for the next game as physically, in order to be ready to play.

I hope they continue to embrace the role of "underdog" - I do think it takes some pressure off in playing more loose (whereas we were slight favorites going to Philadelphia 2 years ago).
It was cool in the locker room after the game how Zim reminded them of that very fact.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

quiznut1 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:22 am 2 years ago when we beat the Saints with the Minneapolis Miracle, I remember hearing of guys watching replays for quite a while into the ensuing day (maybe a couple days after). In retrospect I think it could have affected them mentally going into Philadelphia.

While the emotional high is not (in my opinion) as much as the Minneapolis Miracle, My hope is Zimmer will put the clamps down and not let the guys look at any replays after yesterday evening.

As I stated before, the road is not going to get easier. They are going to need as much mental/emotional preparedness for the next game as physically, in order to be ready to play.

I hope they continue to embrace the role of "underdog" - I do think it takes some pressure off in playing more loose (whereas we were slight favorites going to Philadelphia 2 years ago).
There's been a lot of chatter about some veterans really trying to keep the guys focused and not letting it go like 2017. It think that's important. I hear both Harrison Smith and Thielen have been preaching about getting back to work and not celebrating too much in the locker room immediately following the game. Those guys remember the sting of 2017 clearly, I'm sure Zimmer does too.
Damian
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am Instead of a celebration of victory it seems this thread is increasingly focused on resentment about the media and the Saints. The Vikings won the game. Who cares if the media didn't think they could do it? They were a 6th seeded team going on the road against a 13-3 team with an excellent home playoff record. Of course they were doubted. Of course they weren't expected to win. There were Vikings fans who didn't expect them to win!

They won anyway.

The 2009 Championship game was a decade ago and the Vikes lost it with their own sloppy performance. Maybe it's time to let that go?

... or hang onto it if you'd like. I look at it this way: the shoe could be on the other foot in a week or two. Another team's fans might be crowing and Vikes fans might be #### about a call or non-call that didn't go our way. Hopefully, things won't work out like that but once in a while it's okay to just stop and smell the (purple) roses.

The Vikings won! Let's focus on some of the really positive aspects of the game: a strong game plan, a huge performance by the d-line, Cousins making great, critical plays in OT, Thielen overcoming a rough start to make an impact, effective run blocking hard running by Cook and Mattison, the secondary stepping up big despite some injuries...

They won! :smilevike:

Most of the Fox crew was predicting we'd get beat by 17 points, not one said we could win. Local radio stations in the Twin Cities are running all kinds of narratives about how bad the Vikings are, carting Zim to Dallas on a silver platter, etc. The MNF broadcasts this year have been woefully one-sided in commentary and not for us. (Recall McFarlands Russel Wilson 3 hour lovefest) In some ways we did deserve this label as this team failed to produce on the big stage. However, as i've said all year, there were a lot of circumstances that went into these results.

This win upended all of the narratives. It made a huge statement to the national scene that the Vikings are more than just some team lucky to be in the playoffs. As fans we've waited all season to see a quality win like this one. Kirk Cousins blew up the media narrative on him in big games / playoff games / and road games as well. That it came against one of our more hated non-conference rivals only adds fuel to the fire.

it shouldn't be surprising at all that a lot of fans are relishing in the media getting egg in their face. I know I am.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

40for60 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:21 pm
StanM wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:11 pm

I'm confident that they'd have made the field goal so their protesting the TD is a moot point. There was some contact but the fact that they didn't review and flag Rudy tells me that my observations aren't too far off for being just a fan.
Not exactly a moot point. If the Vikes had kicked a FG instead, the saints would get a possession. If they get a TD, they win. If the Vikes stop them without points, they win. If the saints get a FG, then the game continues and becomes sudden death at that point.
Well, you'll have to excuse me for not knowing the fine points of the OT rules. After all, us Vikings fans have seldom been in a position to even have to consider them. Whether they would have scored or not on subsequent downs had there been OPI called can be debated ad nauseam. I referred to luck in previous posts as well, call it the power of the cosmos, karma or what have you but I'm referring to those favorable bounces and referee calls that always seem to go against us. Teams can prepare, have the greatest athletes and be the most heavily favored to win it all but that intangible has been missing from Minnesota sports for most of my 68 years. Or to put it another way, we're going to need the "Force to be with us" in the form of good karma combined with excellent play and coaching on this ride or we won't go any further. :v):
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:41 amI hope I wasn't one you were talking about, but I could see if you took it that way.
I wasn't directing that post at any individual in particular. I was just referring to the overall direction the thread had taken and trying to encourage everybody to enjoy the win and remember that, for once after a playoff game, there's a lot to celebrate about the team. It's easy to get caught up in grievance and forget to enjoy the good stuff. We all do that at times. I think I'm extra focused on a positive perspective today because, even though I sat down yesterday to cheer on the Vikes and hope for a win, I was doubting them as much as the next guy. I'm really enjoying the pleasant surprise they delivered. I even wore Vikes gear to a Blackhawks game last night because I was still pumped about the win.

I understand that seeing the team disrespected gets old but if the Vikes keep playing like they did yesterday they will eventually find themselves playing the respected, prohibitive favorite role rather than the underdog. The pundits love proven winners.

Regarding the media: earlier this season, I recall someone on the NFL Network (I forget who) referring to the Vikes as a "sleeping giant" who could make a run through the conference to a Super Bowl this season if they woke up.

Here's hoping yesterday's win means the giant has awakened.

PS.) Congrats on the new high-powered workspace. Remember to actually do some work in it! :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 amIt was cool in the locker room after the game how Zim reminded them of that very fact.
I saw Rudolph talking about it on ESPN last night too. It sounds like they understand the need to quickly move past this win and stay on task.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Dames wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:26 am I think people are making too big of a deal about the Digg's sideline blow up. We have no idea what it was about. I'll admit it looked bad on camera, and I didn't like seeing it either. The announcers made the immediate leap that it was because he wasn't getting the ball, and we all bought into it. They have no idea what the real story is at that point, and neither did anyone else watching. Diggs is super emotional, and he obviously hates when things aren't going his way. But, we don't know WHAT wasn't going his way.

The explanation could be just as likely:
808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 am Listened to Diggs interview in the locker room. His frustration stemmed from the type of coverages he was getting. Nothing toward his teammates. That's what I thought. He is a team guy. I think he's happier when Thielen makes a play than when he does. I'm thinking he was also frustrated because he was getting mugged without a call on a few plays.
Or that could be a load of bunk too :)
I think it's a philosophical difference among fans speculating on how they would handle it if we were coaching. Apparently you're thinking is that if you were in charge you would be more flexible with the disruption. Myself on the other hand, it has happened several times on national tv and we have no idea how much disruption it's causing from Monday to Saturday. I would opt for trading and picking up some much needed salary cap space for free agents and I presume it would make Diggs happy. As far as Rhodes, he has done something similar on the sidelines and his play has fallen off to the point where I don't think I'd get any flak for saying the same thing about him. I've seen both in interviews and they have been gracious and humorous so maybe there isn't any disruption in the locker room. In his post game locker room interview Cook when asked about brushed it off as it just being Digg's personality so maybe the media's concern is unfounded. Half the time they're the ones starting these narratives just to get views, one Vikings show I watch on YouTube sometimes has a woman commentator who's first reaction always seems to be skeptical and full of drama about our dire circumstances. I would expect the actual truth to lie somewhere between a homer like PA and a skeptic like this gal who's name escapes me.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll all agree as Vikings fans that so far this has been a fun ride and hope it continues. The narrative will likely go from hero to zero faster than I can type this sentence if we have a poor showing next week of after if we get past SF. The prospect of a cold weather game in Lambeau is floating around in the back of my mind and how satisfying it would be to knock off Green Bay in a winter championship game. I happened to be flipping channels on a little black and white TV many years ago and stumbled across a Green Bay and Dallas game. It got my attention and I watched Bart Starr win the game on a goal line sneak in what is now called the Ice Bowl and is considered a historic game. It would be cool to see the Vikes go in there and win a trip to the Super Bowl this time of year. We shall see, it's going to be getting interesting.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Maan I slept so good. First we survive the wild card and we took out a team that I absolutely despise.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Super pumped about the win yesterday. Admittedly I have not been productive at work today because all I'm doing is watching highlights and commentary on the game. WOOOT!

I will say... was Zimmer doing some Belichick-level mind games this season? The team has consistently let him/us down when they gain momentum and start receiving media praise while they tend to play a lot better with a chip on their shoulder. So... did Zimmer purposely tank the GB game week 16 to guarantee that we'd be underdogs all playoffs?

I kinda hope so.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

TSonn wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 pm Super pumped about the win yesterday. Admittedly I have not been productive at work today because all I'm doing is watching highlights and commentary on the game. WOOOT!

I will say... was Zimmer doing some Belichick-level mind games this season? The team has consistently let him/us down when they gain momentum and start receiving media praise while they tend to play a lot better with a chip on their shoulder. So... did Zimmer purposely tank the GB game week 16 to guarantee that we'd be underdogs all playoffs?

I kinda hope so.
IMO giving the guys a week off was the deal. We just looked fresh. Cook looked like the early version. He needed a break I think.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:37 am
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:50 pm

You guys are giving it your own narrative. He was frustrated, doesn't mean he was frustrated at his teammates of not getting the ball. Sometimes, its because of the coverage he is getting, or you not being able to beat a guy that is outplaying you. Him and Kirk were always on the sideline talking.
Kirk had to settle his lame $ss down. It's hard enough to keep our team in the game without having to hug some cry baby. Maybe Diggs needs to contribute something. I give Adam credit big time. He had a tough time early. But he didn't cry he want out there and made some plays. That deep route was a thing of beauty. That's a play that needed to be made and he made it. That's how a team player and winner contributes. Suck it up and make a big play. This other guy is looking for his own stats. That's a loser mentality and not a team player. Make a big time play. He should be helping out by volunteering to return punts and take it the distance. We need that. But that's below him. He's the star of the show in his mind. That's the only player I can complain about after this great game. Just a loser big time. I'm sure he was #### all the way back home. He's above the team.
Again. You are creating a narrative without the facts.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:06 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:37 am
Kirk had to settle his lame $ss down. It's hard enough to keep our team in the game without having to hug some cry baby. Maybe Diggs needs to contribute something. I give Adam credit big time. He had a tough time early. But he didn't cry he want out there and made some plays. That deep route was a thing of beauty. That's a play that needed to be made and he made it. That's how a team player and winner contributes. Suck it up and make a big play. This other guy is looking for his own stats. That's a loser mentality and not a team player. Make a big time play. He should be helping out by volunteering to return punts and take it the distance. We need that. But that's below him. He's the star of the show in his mind. That's the only player I can complain about after this great game. Just a loser big time. I'm sure he was #### all the way back home. He's above the team.
Yeah dude I dont even know what you just said.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:05 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 amIt was cool in the locker room after the game how Zim reminded them of that very fact.
I saw Rudolph talking about it on ESPN last night too. It sounds like they understand the need to quickly move past this win and stay on task.
Right after Rudy's TD, there's a report that Harrison Smith was already telling every one to calm down. Not because the TD might be reviewed and called back, but because of what happened in 2017 vs the Eagles.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:41 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:06 pm

Yeah dude I dont even know what you just said.
I'll make it simple. Catch a short pass and take it to the house. Do something big. Turn the game. I'm not creating a narrative, We are winning and guys are playing like hell and he's having an issue with something. We will never know the issue. I've watch this a long time and he looked POed. Maybe that's how people act when they are happy and I'm wrong. I've seen happy players and that's a new one. Maybe he's looking to create a brand. It's simple turn the game. Put it out of reach. If he did that do you think he would act like he did during that game. I doubt it. We he scored on the miracle he didn't act like that.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:01 am I'll make it simple. Catch a short pass and take it to the house. Do something big. Turn the game. I'm not creating a narrative, We are winning and guys are playing like hell and he's having an issue with something. We will never know the issue. I've watch this a long time and he looked POed. Maybe that's how people act when they are happy and I'm wrong. I've seen happy players and that's a new one. Maybe he's looking to create a brand. It's simple turn the game. Put it out of reach. If he did that do you think he would act like he did during that game. I doubt it. We he scored on the miracle he didn't act like that.
I think it's exactly how he acted on the miracle though. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. Sure, the emotion was different, because he was clearly angry about something on Sunday.... but it was all emotion, and when he scored on the miracle, he was all emotion. I'm old and pretty mellow now, but when I was younger, sometimes the competitive juices got me a little fired up like that too.... hell, just watching the Vikings now makes me overreact. :)

The key here is nobody knows exactly what he was mad about. We all just made assumptions, and honestly, most of those assumptions were probably wrong. Like I said previously, I didn't like it when it was happening either, but I bought into what the announcers were saying. When I thought about it for a minute, I realized that I had no idea what was actually going on. I guess it's always a fine line with some players, but I don't know that you can just tell Diggs to just be mellow during a game without him losing a bit of that edge he has.

If you see him after the game, he was extremely happy and celebrating... so I definitely don't think it was because he was pouting about getting the ball, or he probably would have been after the game ended too.
Damian