If any of these playoff games comes down to Kirk Cousins on a game winning drive can he do it?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: If any of these playoff games comes down to Kirk Cousins on a game winning drive can he do it?

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:25 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:31 pm
Cousins lead us back against the division champion Packers in their house. He was down 21 points. That's hard to make up. He drove us down at the end but he made a mistake and threw an interception. That was his mistake he lost the game for us. But he did get us in position. If we would have just ran the ball I felt we would have won. A cousins win.The Pack couldn't stop Cook all day long. Cousins didn't have a great game. But lead us at the end. Wilson drove his team down and didn't score and lost but that was great. Cousins did basically the same thing and it wasn't good. Not scoring at the end for one is great and for the other it's a colossal failure. Don't take this as I'm saying Cousins is better than Wilson. But Wilson had a very good D when he won a Super Bowl. Our D isn't close to that IMO.
I don't think you can count a drive where the QB threw one 5 yard pass and an interception as "driving us down".
Guys it was the wrong path I headed down. Wilson is a Super Bowl winner I can't take that away. Cousins isn't I can't take that away. either. We'll see what happens going forward.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: If any of these playoff games comes down to Kirk Cousins on a game winning drive can he do it?

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I will say that watching what Deshaun Watson just did sure makes me envy. Wow
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

w_huisman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:58 pm
StanM wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:21 pm I mentioned in another recent thread that I have been watching the Vikings since game one in 1961 when I was ten years old. My dad was a huge Gophers fan and a fan of Van Brocklin so he insisted that I follow our new team with him. I think with the Vikings and all teams getting to the big dance depends on all parts of the roster coming together at the same time, some good fortune avoiding injury and a few lucky bounces. Even the strongest Vikings teams as good as they were over the years couldn't catch a break from lady luck. It seems like either we have a great offense or a great defense or are strong at certain positions but the key to winning it all is for everything to come together at the right time.

Over the past decade it has always been something. Remember not too many years ago when we spent a few years dealing with question marks at wide receiver? Now it appears that the weaknesses are aging players on defense, a porous secondary and ongoing troubles at offensive line. We went all in on Cousins thinking he was the missing piece of the puzzle but now we're seeing players skills dropping off in other areas as they reach the end of their prime. It seems to me that efforts to fix things are like the game "whack a mole", whenever we try to hammer on one weakness another pops up somewhere else. On paper I have cheered most everything the Vikings have done over the past decade thinking that it sounded like a good roster move, draft choice or player coming to us through free agency.

So now the question at hand, can Kirk carry the team on his shoulders. I would say yes, if he gets on a hot streak and this team gels and plays a great game they are capable of winning and Cousins is capable of a game winning drive. Will it happen? Well, I'm posting on a Vikings message board so I want to say yes he will but there are so many factors and a lot of luck not to mention how loud it's going to be.

I think in my case at 68 years old and the Vikings obviously facing another rebuild with one hand tied behind their back by the Cousins contract I question whether my life long dream of seeing them win the Super Bowl will happen in my lifetime. So rather than bet on Cousins orchestrating a game winning drive the wagers should be placed on whether or not I will ever see them win the Super Bowl in my lifetime. We have come ever so close so many times and we've gone through some nightmare coaching staffs and lack of talent on the field but at the end of the day we haven't won the big one and I'm skeptical that I'll ever see that happen.
I can't thumbs up this one enough. Some of us are at the end of our rope when it comes to patience with this team.
I've been watching since 71. I'm old to. This core team is declining as I type. We are a step behind the top teams but we do have a good team. If they get hot and the breaks fall our way we can do some damage. .
The negotiator
Backup

Post by The negotiator »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:33 pm
w_huisman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:58 pm

I can't thumbs up this one enough. Some of us are at the end of our rope when it comes to patience with this team.
I've been watching since 71. I'm old to. This core team is declining as I type. We are a step behind the top teams but we do have a good team. If they get hot and the breaks fall our way we can do some damage. .
There are a few of us getting long in tooth here on the board. As a lifelong Lions fan, we never got a sniff of what it would be like to have a winner. We’ve been conditioned to lose for 62 years. Here at least there is a ray of hope. Like everyone’s been saying, we need a few breaks to go our way and for the team to overachieve tomorrow. We can beat this team but it was ll take our best effort and some great play calling.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The negotiator wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:36 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:33 pm
There are a few of us getting long in tooth here on the board. As a lifelong Lions fan, we never got a sniff of what it would be like to have a winner. We’ve been conditioned to lose for 62 years. Here at least there is a ray of hope. Like everyone’s been saying, we need a few breaks to go our way and for the team to overachieve tomorrow. We can beat this team but it was ll take our best effort and some great play calling.
Being a Lion fan must be very hard. Basically year after year of no chance. I use to live and die based on the outcome of our team. I'd watch every second of every game. Sunday ticket came out I had it. Before that Bars. I don't know if it's age or just the fact that it's not a life changing event I don't get mad anymore. Us Viking fans have had our chances but the end has been the same. No Super Bowl. I read Bud Grant being asked about losing 4 Super Bowls and if that bothered him. He said no. It's entertainment. I have a family ect.... that's much more important. I think I took that to heart. It's entertainment. Sure I'd like to see a Super Bowl victory but if I don't I can live ok. But it's good to be in the tournament. I don't even know how it will go. We could get beat bad no surprise or win no surprise.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:46 pm
The negotiator wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:36 pm
Being a Lion fan must be very hard. Basically year after year of no chance. I use to live and die based on the outcome of our team. I'd watch every second of every game. Sunday ticket came out I had it. Before that Bars. I don't know if it's age or just the fact that it's not a life changing event I don't get mad anymore. Us Viking fans have had our chances but the end has been the same. No Super Bowl. I read Bud Grant being asked about losing 4 Super Bowls and if that bothered him. He said no. It's entertainment. I have a family ect.... that's much more important. I think I took that to heart. It's entertainment. Sure I'd like to see a Super Bowl victory but if I don't I can live ok. But it's good to be in the tournament. I don't even know how it will go. We could get beat bad no surprise or win no surprise.
Ya know I just turned 55 this past October. I became a Viking fan when I knew what football was. The 2 things my dad started teaching me, and that I remember my first loves, were hunting and football. I was in hunting gear and my Viking P.J.s amd little Viking helmet, the NFL bedding sets from J.C. Penney starting about 4 or 5. I've been hardcore on both ever since.
I've never wavered on either one either. I've lived and breathed both my whole life. If you came to my hometown , or talked to family members and friends and anyone who really knows me and said tell me about what he loves, after my family they would definitely tell u the Vikings and Bowhunting.
I understand that the older we get, as u stated , and as one of my heroes Bud Grant said, it is just a game and entertainment.
When my daughter was born, and started to grow up and became involved in about every activity through school and summer activities, I did start limiting the amount of time I spent in a treestand every fall ( actually just started being as picky and filled tags quicker), didn't spend as much time on the water fishing, frog gigging, setting turtle lines and all the other stuff I spent my life doing. And I was really OK with it because I learned that those things weren't quite as important as being a dad and husband.
2 seasons ago, the year of the Minny Miracle, my mom had a severe stroke right before the playoffs. We were at that hospital from morning till we left at night for 3 wks. My dad made me go home for the games to get a break. I was crushed at the end of the Eagles blowout. But the next afternoon Mom was released from the ICU unit and moved to a rehab facility. Thankfully the Lord blessed us and she is doing great now. I realized that it is just a game.
But ya know , when ur this passionate about being a fan of the team, stick with them thru thick and thin and just want so bad to see us finally win that SB, it's hard to let that dream go.
I bought the Sunday Ticket the 1st season it came out and have had it ever since. I love my Vikes and wanna see them every week. Yes I've been frustrated and heart broken. But I also still dream . I just want to see us win 1 Super Bowl before I die. It's just a goal. Just like killing some truly big bucks, killing an Elk on a public land hunt and a Turkey with a bow. Fortunately I was able to do all those things.
I got to see my daughter graduate early with a Masters degree and now secure a very successful and lucrative career that also allows her to help make the world a better place by helping those who really need help, not just lining the pockets of wealthy board members who already have enough money. So for all that I'm blessed and happy.
BUT.. even though I'm only 55, I've survived 2 major heart attacks from genetics. So I guess on my highway of life, I know my final exit may be close.
It would be awesome to finally see us win that Trophy just once before I turn off on that last exit lol.
So I will be honest, It is still an important thing for me to still experience. Is it life or death or really needed to feel content in my life journey.
Nahh... BUT I sure ain't gonna say that i wouldn't truly love it and see it happen.
So maybe before it's all over with it will happen finally. I hope so, amd will continue to hope so. If it doesn't happen.. Oh well.
If it does.. AWESOME!!.
I'm hoping for the AWESOME this year still.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Pregame show, they show Cousins warming up....taking deep breaths...blowing out through puffed cheeks...looking like he was going to throw up. Then they show Brees signing autographs, smiling, hugging.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:33 pm Pregame show, they show Cousins warming up....taking deep breaths...blowing out through puffed cheeks...looking like he was going to throw up. Then they show Brees signing autographs, smiling, hugging.
Crap. We need angry Cousins and that sounds like the guy who over thinks things and feels too much pressure to succeed.
quiznut1
Practice Squad

Post by quiznut1 »

I guess he DID. :)
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:46 pm
Ya know I just turned 55 this past October. I became a Viking fan when I knew what football was. The 2 things my dad started teaching me, and that I remember my first loves, were hunting and football. I was in hunting gear and my Viking P.J.s amd little Viking helmet, the NFL bedding sets from J.C. Penney starting about 4 or 5. I've been hardcore on both ever since.
I've never wavered on either one either. I've lived and breathed both my whole life. If you came to my hometown , or talked to family members and friends and anyone who really knows me and said tell me about what he loves, after my family they would definitely tell u the Vikings and Bowhunting.
I understand that the older we get, as u stated , and as one of my heroes Bud Grant said, it is just a game and entertainment.
When my daughter was born, and started to grow up and became involved in about every activity through school and summer activities, I did start limiting the amount of time I spent in a treestand every fall ( actually just started being as picky and filled tags quicker), didn't spend as much time on the water fishing, frog gigging, setting turtle lines and all the other stuff I spent my life doing. And I was really OK with it because I learned that those things weren't quite as important as being a dad and husband.
2 seasons ago, the year of the Minny Miracle, my mom had a severe stroke right before the playoffs. We were at that hospital from morning till we left at night for 3 wks. My dad made me go home for the games to get a break. I was crushed at the end of the Eagles blowout. But the next afternoon Mom was released from the ICU unit and moved to a rehab facility. Thankfully the Lord blessed us and she is doing great now. I realized that it is just a game.
But ya know , when ur this passionate about being a fan of the team, stick with them thru thick and thin and just want so bad to see us finally win that SB, it's hard to let that dream go.
I bought the Sunday Ticket the 1st season it came out and have had it ever since. I love my Vikes and wanna see them every week. Yes I've been frustrated and heart broken. But I also still dream . I just want to see us win 1 Super Bowl before I die. It's just a goal. Just like killing some truly big bucks, killing an Elk on a public land hunt and a Turkey with a bow. Fortunately I was able to do all those things.
I got to see my daughter graduate early with a Masters degree and now secure a very successful and lucrative career that also allows her to help make the world a better place by helping those who really need help, not just lining the pockets of wealthy board members who already have enough money. So for all that I'm blessed and happy.
BUT.. even though I'm only 55, I've survived 2 major heart attacks from genetics. So I guess on my highway of life, I know my final exit may be close.
It would be awesome to finally see us win that Trophy just once before I turn off on that last exit lol.
So I will be honest, It is still an important thing for me to still experience. Is it life or death or really needed to feel content in my life journey.
Nahh... BUT I sure ain't gonna say that i wouldn't truly love it and see it happen.
So maybe before it's all over with it will happen finally. I hope so, amd will continue to hope so. If it doesn't happen.. Oh well.
If it does.. AWESOME!!.
You sound very thankful and happy which is great to hear. Nothing wrong with wanting that Super Bowl and I'm 59 and started realizing a few years ago, around your age, this is just a side deal. Life and whats around it is much more important. When Adam fumbled early I started thinking "I wish you didn't get healthy" that's pretty bad and sad really. Then I just settled down and figured it will be what it will be. Just watch and enjoy. Yes it was enjoyable I will admit that. We get at least another week. I'm sure I'll #### about a few players and maybe Zim to before the game. But the talk back and forth makes it enjoyable also. Most know the Vikes and the game very well.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:05 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm

If it does.. AWESOME!!.
You sound very thankful and happy which is great to hear. Nothing wrong with wanting that Super Bowl and I'm 59 and started realizing a few years ago, around your age, this is just a side deal. Life and whats around it is much more important. When Adam fumbled early I started thinking "I wish you didn't get healthy" that's pretty bad and sad really. Then I just settled down and figured it will be what it will be. Just watch and enjoy. Yes it was enjoyable I will admit that. We get at least another week. I'm sure I'll #### about a few players and maybe Zim to before the game. But the talk back and forth makes it enjoyable also. Most know the Vikes and the game very well.
Thanks buddy. Sounds like we think alot alike. Hey it will be a great bonus if we get to enjoy a Viking SB win in our lifetime. Would be another great life experience! SKOL my Friend
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I was just thinking that this game against the Saints might possibly be the most difficult opponent that the Vikings will see in the NFC Playoffs. No easy games, and I wouldn't really relish playing the Packers in Lambeu, but I think our chances of a SB berth increased significantly today.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 pm I was just thinking that this game against the Saints might possibly be the most difficult opponent that the Vikings will see in the NFC Playoffs. No easy games, and I wouldn't really relish playing the Packers in Lambeu, but I think our chances of a SB berth increased significantly today.
Agree totally buddy. Hope to beat SF, then get either the Pukers or Seachickens at home, and shock the world!!! How sweet it would be to finally win that coveted SB ring and trophy, as a 6th seed and a team that the NFL dismissed so badly they didn't even include us in the playoff commercial!! How freakin great would that be?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:46 pm
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 pm I was just thinking that this game against the Saints might possibly be the most difficult opponent that the Vikings will see in the NFC Playoffs. No easy games, and I wouldn't really relish playing the Packers in Lambeu, but I think our chances of a SB berth increased significantly today.
Agree totally buddy. Hope to beat SF, then get either the Pukers or Seachickens at home, and shock the world!!! How sweet it would be to finally win that coveted SB ring and trophy, as a 6th seed and a team that the NFL dismissed so badly they didn't even include us in the playoff commercial!! How freakin great would that be?
Heck, we could get to the Super Bowl, and they'd probably leave us off THAT commercial.

And I LOVE it. Let 'em keep disrespecting this team. Don't they know it's just fuel for the fire?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purplepain2018
Backup

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Well this is my thread and today I got my answer. Kirk played great and yes he can command a game winning drive!!!