Giants post game discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Giants post game discussion

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:41 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:43 pm The next game we face a good team is the Chiefs. That's only my opinion and I need to see us play a great game against them. That's all.
I think you can put the Eagles on that list. The Eagles beat the Packers in Green Bay, and while they've got some warts for sure, they have the NFL's #1 rush defense and are a team that can credibly make the Vikings one-dimensional on offense and force Cousins into the types of situations that he's become infamous for not handling all that well. On offense, the Eagles sport one of the NFL's better QBs this year, at least statistically, dangerous receivers, and a ground game that is respectable.

The Eagles might not have enjoyed a great start out of the gate this year, and Wentz isn't Mahomes, but they're going to be a tall order nonetheless. I'm glad the game is at home.
The Eagles are a good team and they are also very well coached. They won a Super Bowl with Foles. Foles has bounced around for some reason. That came down to coaching. You're correct the Eagles are a very good team and I forgot about them. Being at home will help big time. I never thought we'd beat the Giants and I give our team and coaches credit for that. As I posted they were in a tough spot. We had more mishaps than I would like but that's my only ####. I'm sure others felt the same way.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

4th season in a row the Vikings play the Eagles...this is the first time they get them in Minnesota...thank goodness. Philly is usually a nightmare.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:48 pm 4th season in a row the Vikings play the Eagles...this is the first time they get them in Minnesota...thank goodness. Philly is usually a nightmare.
The last time I remember them playing in MN was in 2013, in a wild 48-30 Vikes win. Maybe the Vikes can put up 50 on 'em this time. :)
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:02 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:48 pm 4th season in a row the Vikings play the Eagles...this is the first time they get them in Minnesota...thank goodness. Philly is usually a nightmare.
The last time I remember them playing in MN was in 2013, in a wild 48-30 Vikes win. Maybe the Vikes can put up 50 on 'em this time. :)
Is there secondary getting healthier? Against GB everyone was open, and if that continues here, 50 is within reach.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am
Mothman wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:02 am

Is there secondary getting healthier? Against GB everyone was open, and if that continues here, 50 is within reach.
If your expectation is for Kirk to put up 50 points against the Philly defense it's pretty clear why you've been disappointed by him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

TSonn wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am

If your expectation is for Kirk to put up 50 points against the Philly defense it's pretty clear why you've been disappointed by him.
The expectations are high again after the Giant game. Trust me I was heading down the path myself until I thought "I have seen this one before. Don't get me wrong nice win no doubt but they are a bottom dweller for a reason. Maybe not this year because the Skins are looking for a QB and have thrown in the towel. They want the 1st pick. Good move by them and it's the only hope to fill the most important position. Outside of a Super Bowl getting that 1st pick is the ultimate victory. But it takes guts to get it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:41 pm Kirk looked different: not the anxious spazz who despite looking like he's overly aware of defenders about to strip sack him, doesn't protect the ball from said defenders. When he gets pumped up, I like the confidence and spunk he shows. When they went to commercial break yesterday they showed him slamming his helmet on its sideline 'mount' / resting place and he was just jacked up, intense, excited to exorcize some demons.
So even Kirk recognizes the duality I'd alluded to in this post.
Sean Borman
@SeanBormanNFL
·
11h
Kirk Cousins on #UnderCenter: "I play better when the 'You like that?!' guy comes out, and this last week did that... I'm going to try to channel that going forward and have a little edge to me."
:v):
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 am
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:41 pm Kirk looked different: not the anxious spazz who despite looking like he's overly aware of defenders about to strip sack him, doesn't protect the ball from said defenders. When he gets pumped up, I like the confidence and spunk he shows. When they went to commercial break yesterday they showed him slamming his helmet on its sideline 'mount' / resting place and he was just jacked up, intense, excited to exorcize some demons.
Sean Borman
@SeanBormanNFL
·
11h
Kirk Cousins on #UnderCenter: "I play better when the 'You like that?!' guy comes out, and this last week did that... I'm going to try to channel that going forward and have a little edge to me."
I definitely think he's better when he plays confidently, with that chip on his shoulder. Hopefully, we'll see a lot more of that going forward.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:33 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 am

I definitely think he's better when he plays confidently, with that chip on his shoulder. Hopefully, we'll see a lot more of that going forward.
Anything is better than robot Cousins.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:45 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:59 pmOf course, it's just a theory. It could be that defenses relax late when they have large leads and Cousins just takes what they give him.
That was definitely the case in the Bears game. You may be right that Cousins felt less psychological pressure at that point too but Chicago was clearly playing to defend the big play and willing to give up the underneath stuff.
They may have been playing a bit looser in the back but they were still coming after him in the front.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:33 am
I almost get the sense that it is more than just confidence. It seems like he is an entirely different human being. "You like that?!" guy is his doppelgänger, whereas Beaker is his normal self. He needs to learn how to summon that darker, fiery, vicious Kirk jerk that inhabits his innermost heart. :flamed: haha.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Giants got after Brady pretty good Thursday night and I would say our line outperformed theirs by quite a bit. A good sign for things to come.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 pm Giants got after Brady pretty good Thursday night and I would say our line outperformed theirs by quite a bit. A good sign for things to come.
They sure did but Patriots know how to adjust when their line is getting out performed.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 pm Giants got after Brady pretty good Thursday night and I would say our line outperformed theirs by quite a bit. A good sign for things to come.
I mean the patriots OL isn’t very good it’s just well coached and they make adjustments. They’ve never had a loaded OL. It’s usually the coaching that benefits.

As for our OL, it still doesn’t make our OL any better at pass blocking. I know where you’re trying to go with this. O’Neill is good and Kline is decent. The other 3 are struggling quite a bit. And Rudy is also terrible at blocking.

I don’t care what the giants did vs the patriots. Just like I don’t care what the raiders DL did against KC. Our OL is not good at pass blocking. O’Neill needs to be our LT. I’ve been saying it for the past year. Either way, this is not a good sign. Teams scheme differently, adjustments are made, etc. Just because something happened in one game doesn’t mean it translates to when we play them.

That’s like saying the titans are going to be a good team because they blew out New England last year. And they are still, not a good team. Every game is different. And the giants game we played vs the giants game New England played aren’t the same. They really aren’t comparable. Teams do “surprising” things all the time. Teams upset others. Teams with a terrible pass rush might have a day against a good OL. Teams with a horrible defense might have a day against a good offense and vice versa. Every dog has its day. One week compared to season long consistency are two completely different things. Nobody is raving about the giants pass rush, but you’re trying to talk them up. Nobody raved about Oakland’s pass rush but you’re trying to talk them up. Nobody even mentions these defensive lines. You are. You do because you wanna find as much reason as you can to blame Kirk cousins for anything and everything that goes wrong with the team. Like I’ve said before, you try too hard.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:41 pm
I mean the patriots OL isn’t very good it’s just well coached and they make adjustments. They’ve never had a loaded OL. It’s usually the coaching that benefits.

As for our OL, it still doesn’t make our OL any better at pass blocking. I know where you’re trying to go with this. O’Neill is good and Kline is decent. The other 3 are struggling quite a bit. And Rudy is also terrible at blocking.

I don’t care what the giants did vs the patriots. Just like I don’t care what the raiders DL did against KC. Our OL is not good at pass blocking. O’Neill needs to be our LT. I’ve been saying it for the past year. Either way, this is not a good sign. Teams scheme differently, adjustments are made, etc. Just because something happened in one game doesn’t mean it translates to when we play them.

That’s like saying the titans are going to be a good team because they blew out New England last year. And they are still, not a good team. Every game is different. And the giants game we played vs the giants game New England played aren’t the same. They really aren’t comparable. Teams do “surprising” things all the time. Teams upset others. Teams with a terrible pass rush might have a day against a good OL. Teams with a horrible defense might have a day against a good offense and vice versa. Every dog has its day. One week compared to season long consistency are two completely different things. Nobody is raving about the giants pass rush, but you’re trying to talk them up. Nobody raved about Oakland’s pass rush but you’re trying to talk them up. Nobody even mentions these defensive lines. You are. You do because you wanna find as much reason as you can to blame Kirk cousins for anything and everything that goes wrong with the team. Like I’ve said before, you try too hard.
I said the Raiders have an improved pass rush over last year. They have 9 sacks in 5 games versus 13 in 16 games.

I was right, you were wrong, get over it. :D