Eagles pre game thread!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Eagles pre game thread!

Post by Dmizzle0 »

This is a big game. I'm sick of hearing that the Vikings only can beat bad teams. This will be the game that will show everyone that the Vikings are the real deal!

Skol!
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Eagles pre game thread!

Post by Dames »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am This is a big game. I'm sick of hearing that the Vikings only can beat bad teams. This will be the game that will show everyone that the Vikings are the real deal!

Skol!
Being at home should help a lot. We played the Eagles well last year in Philly, so I'm sorta optimistic at least. If they have a fast start, then I think we'll play them tough.

The Eagles can score a lot of points, but their D can definitely be scored on also. Every team but the Jets have scored 24+ points against them (avg 26.3/game before the Jets game - down to 22.2 now).
Their Rushing Def stats are fantastic. Only 63 yds/game. Not entirely sure how much of that is game flow, or the fact that Philly is bad against the pass. 271 yd/game. Those stats are skewed a lot by the last game against the Jets... who are awful. It was over 300 yds/games passing before that.

So, this is an important game for Cousins, because it does appear that running the ball could be difficult. If he can continue what he did vs Giants, then we should win.

I think if our Defense can keep them to 20 or less, then we have a very good shot at this. that's certainly possible with our D (we've given up an avg of 14.6 so far this year).

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good about it... as long as Cousin's keeps his edge.
Damian
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Dames wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:27 pm
Dmizzle0 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am This is a big game. I'm sick of hearing that the Vikings only can beat bad teams. This will be the game that will show everyone that the Vikings are the real deal!

Skol!
Being at home should help a lot. We played the Eagles well last year in Philly, so I'm sorta optimistic at least. If they have a fast start, then I think we'll play them tough.

The Eagles can score a lot of points, but their D can definitely be scored on also. Every team but the Jets have scored 24+ points against them (avg 26.3/game before the Jets game - down to 22.2 now).
Their Rushing Def stats are fantastic. Only 63 yds/game. Not entirely sure how much of that is game flow, or the fact that Philly is bad against the pass. 271 yd/game. Those stats are skewed a lot by the last game against the Jets... who are awful. It was over 300 yds/games passing before that.

So, this is an important game for Cousins, because it does appear that running the ball could be difficult. If he can continue what he did vs Giants, then we should win.

I think if our Defense can keep them to 20 or less, then we have a very good shot at this. that's certainly possible with our D (we've given up an avg of 15.8 so far this year).

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good about it... as long as Cousin's keeps his edge.
How many yards per carry do the eagles give up? That's the true test of a good run defense imo.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:45 pm How many yards per carry do the eagles give up? That's the true test of a good run defense imo.
Great point. 3.2 yds... 2nd best behind Tampa.

Vikings are 3.6 FYI
Damian
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Every time the Vikings head into a game like this I keep thinking they should be primed to pounce on a flawed opponent, and so far at least, every time it has been the Vikings that look like the team with the greater flaws.

But stepping back to look at the overall setup of the game and trying to be objective, here are the keys as I see them:

- The Eagles have a very good, very active front 7 that rotates guys well and stays fresh throughout an entire game. They are the best in the NFL against the run so far this year by quite a bit, and also can get pressure on the QB. In fact, in terms of their front 7, they look like they are better than the Bears defense, at least statistically. This is the kind of defensive front 7 that the Vikings under Kirk Cousins have classically struggled against, both to maintain offensive balance as it is difficult to establish a ground game, and also to protect the QB in passing situations. So this is going to be a real test of whether the Vikings offense has found effective ways to counter that sort of pressure, or whether they are going to wilt again as they did against the Bears two weeks ago.
- As effective as the Eagles are up front on defense, they are relatively vulnerable in the secondary. If (and that is a big IF) the Vikings can establish some sort of ground game and protect Cousins, and if (once again, a big IF) Cousins himself can keep his poise, find his receivers downfield, and deliver the ball on time and accurately, then the Vikings could put up some numbers on the Eagles through the air. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening, or at least there is little evidence to suggest the Vikings are capable of neutralizing the strength of the Eagles defense that will allow this to happen.
- Defensively, the Vikings match up well against the Eagles offense and are at home, which also should help. Wentz has played well and the Eagles have an effective passing game, but the Vikings have personnel that can counter that and make life difficult for the Eagles passing game. The key, as it's been all year, is going to be stopping the Eagles on the ground and forcing 3rd-and-long situations that favor the Vikings. Wentz isn't particularly mobile, but the Vikings need to remain disciplined in the pass rush and contain him. Overall, I think from a defensive perspective, this is a game the Vikings defense has to be solid from start to finish if they have a chance of winning, which leads to the next key.
- In their two losses so far, the team has fallen behind early. While the offense wasn't forced to radically alter its approach to the game because of that, I think its very important for the Vikings to get out to the early lead. If the offense starts, they need to score some points, and if the defense starts, they need to get off the field. If either isn't true and the Eagles strike first, it's going to be very challenging for the team not to let the mental image of deja vu creep into the back of their minds. Of course, giving up the first points doesn't have to spell doom, but this is a demon that needs to be exorcised, especially against better competition, and a home game against the Eagles is the perfect setting to do that.

I am optimistic that the team can get on the right track in this game. I would love to see them do to the Eagles what they've done to the Falcons, Raiders and Giants so far, which is dominate on both sides of the ball. If they come out flat again, though, especially on offense, that will bode very poorly for the prospects of the rest of this season.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Fletcher Cox and that front 7 are scary. Hopefully they can run and protect but certainly past performance doesn't bode well. At least they're at home.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:22 pm
- The Eagles have a very good, very active front 7 that rotates guys well and stays fresh throughout an entire game. They are the best in the NFL against the run so far this year by quite a bit, and also can get pressure on the QB. In fact, in terms of their front 7, they look like they are better than the Bears defense, at least statistically. This is the kind of defensive front 7 that the Vikings under Kirk Cousins have classically struggled against, both to maintain offensive balance as it is difficult to establish a ground game, and also to protect the QB in passing situations. So this is going to be a real test of whether the Vikings offense has found effective ways to counter that sort of pressure, or whether they are going to wilt again as they did against the Bears two weeks ago.
This is really points 1, 2 and 3. Last week Kirk had ample time to throw due to going up against a very poor front 7 (and secondary). Against tough defensive lines, the entire offense is kneecapped due to one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Kline, who has been surprisingly decent, missed practice today with a foot injury. I have zero faith in our interior line against the Eagles, and thus Kirk Cousins and the entire offense. We're lucky we're at home, but I think the difference in quality of the trenches is too great. I fear a repeat of the Chicago game and will be pleasantly thrilled if I'm wrong.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I have the same fears I did in the Bears game. What happens when a team is able to stop the run. What happens when a team is able to get pressure with 4 guys. The giants game did not alleviate those fears because they lack a pass rush.
EagleRob
Practice Squad

Post by EagleRob »

Cheers.
It's been a while (last February). I hope everyone is doing well. I'll keep it simple, I would love to say my Eagles would be 5-0 if it weren't for two Nelson Aguliar dropped passes. At the same time, we could have lost both the Redskins and Packers games and be 1-4. We are good, but nowhere near great. We make a lot of stupid, stupid, self-inflicted mistakes, that have cost us games.
We are also banged up, both in the secondary, DLine and we are missing Desean Jackson.

What we have going for us is we are stout against the run. We contained Bell and we basically made the Pack, who is a good running team abandon the run. That being said, we are atrocious against the pass. Every week we do have a guy coming back and our D coordinator is starting to find ways to try to cover up for the fact that we are so bad. I know we can't shut down your passing game... we just aren't that good enough. You will put up points on us. If we allow you guys over 24... I think we lose the game because our Offense is inconsistent. We should have put up 40+ vs the Jets. We can't be that sloppy vs better teams. Btw, I respect Cook and think he's a monster. I'm hoping we will be able to contain him like we've contained every other back this year. IF... you guys beat us it will be through the air, and not because Cook and company run wild. I hate Adam Thielen, cause the sucker seems to always be open and he catches everything. Diggs, of course, scares me as well.

IF... we win, is because we contain your run, slow... but not stop your passing game enough to keep you guys under 24 points. We have a run attack that's pretty good (Howard/Sanders). Neither one of those guys are good, but they complement each other because one is power... one is speed. Ertz is Ertz, but Goodard is starting into a pretty good Ertz 2.0. We are starting to play a little bit more balance in our rush/pass attack, which I prefer to cause Wentz, who shows moments of brilliance, can also show moments of mediocrity. I know this makes ZERO football sense, but I think we still have your number... for now, so I'm going to go with my team.

Eagles 27
Vikings 23

Here's to a good game. :rock:

And I'm out! :gone:
When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like discrimination.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I'll see if I can keep my losing streak alive. We are at home which always helps. We are no 6 in passing D so we should keep them in the 20s for points. I'll give 24. Running the ball is very hard against them. Our OCs are heavy run guys so they will be going against the strength of that D. You are what you are. That means they will need to pass. The Eagles have 13 total sacks which is the same as the Giants. So I don't think they have a great pass rush. However this Graham guy seems to be a good player. Hopefully they don't expect Cook to help block him. Creatures of habit of course. This HC for the Eagles is extremely good. He won a Super Bowl with a bum QB who goes from team to team. Cousins can't beat a winner so I think 24-20 Eagles.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I know this sounds crazy but I actually think the Eagles line forcing Cousins to react faster might be a good thing. If he actually reacts faster, of course. Sometimes he gets into his own head it seems. Perhaps he'll be more decisive because he has to be.

In reality the Eagles have an above average defense and historically Kirk doesn't look great against them. He really needs to turn that stereotype around in this game. The Vikings as a whole have to. This is where the season can start to slip away. PHI, DET, KC, and DAL are 4 of the next 5 games. If we can't beat PHI we probably won't beat KC or DAL either. Maybe not even Detroit. Things could get bleak fast.

I expect the Eagles to start the day making sure the run game is in check and making Cousins beat them. It's starting to feel like the Peterson days all over again with this offense.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I know this sounds crazy but I actually think the Eagles line forcing Cousins to react faster might be a good thing.
Yes! I believe you're right about this but I actually thought Cousins should have learned to do that at the Bears game.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cliff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:33 am I know this sounds crazy but I actually think the Eagles line forcing Cousins to react faster might be a good thing. If he actually reacts faster, of course. Sometimes he gets into his own head it seems. Perhaps he'll be more decisive because he has to be.

In reality the Eagles have an above average defense and historically Kirk doesn't look great against them. He really needs to turn that stereotype around in this game. The Vikings as a whole have to. This is where the season can start to slip away. PHI, DET, KC, and DAL are 4 of the next 5 games. If we can't beat PHI we probably won't beat KC or DAL either. Maybe not even Detroit. Things could get bleak fast.

I expect the Eagles to start the day making sure the run game is in check and making Cousins beat them. It's starting to feel like the Peterson days all over again with this offense.
That does sound crazy. Only Kidding of course. I would rather see Cousins stand there all day like he did against the Giants. I think he functions better like that. At least there's no Mack to worry about. I think the Eagles had 10 sacks in one game and only 3 in all the others. If that's true that tells me their pass rush sucks. Basically they don't have one. Even their best pass rusher had all sacks in one game. So who knows. Based on that we should be able to pass easily with the weapons we have.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

EagleRob wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 am What we have going for us is we are stout against the run. We contained Bell and we basically made the Pack, who is a good running team abandon the run. That being said, we are atrocious against the pass. Every week we do have a guy coming back and our D coordinator is starting to find ways to try to cover up for the fact that we are so bad. I know we can't shut down your passing game... we just aren't that good enough. You will put up points on us. If we allow you guys over 24... I think we lose the game because our Offense is inconsistent. We should have put up 40+ vs the Jets. We can't be that sloppy vs better teams. Btw, I respect Cook and think he's a monster. I'm hoping we will be able to contain him like we've contained every other back this year. IF... you guys beat us it will be through the air, and not because Cook and company run wild. I hate Adam Thielen, cause the sucker seems to always be open and he catches everything. Diggs, of course, scares me as well.

IF... we win, is because we contain your run, slow... but not stop your passing game enough to keep you guys under 24 points. We have a run attack that's pretty good (Howard/Sanders). Neither one of those guys are good, but they complement each other because one is power... one is speed. Ertz is Ertz, but Goodard is starting into a pretty good Ertz 2.0. We are starting to play a little bit more balance in our rush/pass attack, which I prefer to cause Wentz, who shows moments of brilliance, can also show moments of mediocrity.

Welcome back Rob.
I do think the Viking's D is up to the task but they will give up some points. The Eagles can score. I think it comes down to one major thing, and that's Kirk Cousins. I don't think we'll have a ton of success running against that front 7 of the Eagles. But, if Cousins has success throwing, we'll be fine. That is a huge IF lately, and I don't think any Viking's fan can be seriously confident in it happening. Hopeful of course. Kirk's coming off his best game of the year last week. It was against the Giants, but the Eagle's pass defense is not exactly awe-inspiring either. On the other hand, it certainly seems that if the Eagles can get into his head early, it's going to be a long game for Viking's fan.
EagleRob wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 amI know this makes ZERO football sense, but I think we still have your number... for now, so I'm going to go with my team.
You're right. That makes ZERO sense. :tongue: I'm pretty sure we beat you last year. In Philly, no less.
Damian
EagleRob
Practice Squad

Post by EagleRob »

EagleRob wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 amI know this makes ZERO football sense, but I think we still have your number... for now, so I'm going to go with my team.
You're right. That makes ZERO sense. :tongue: I'm pretty sure we beat you last year. In Philly, no less.
[/quote]

Crap!
You're right. I could sware we beat you last year.
My bad!

This is why you come to people's board humble. It lessons "some" of the sting when you are this blatantly wrong. :D
When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like discrimination.