Week 1 Win!: Falcons Post-Game Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Week 1 Win!: Falcons Post-Game Discussion

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:19 pm
Raptorman wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 pm The only thing I want the Vikings to do is to keep trying to score. I don't care if you are up 35-0, never let your foot off the gas. It's the other teams' job to stop you from scoring. If they can't, that is their problem, not yours.
Yeah, I lean that way, too.

I get the idea of running the ball to shorten the game when you're up 4 scores. But it felt like the Vikings got TOO conservative against Atlanta. The stretch outside zone plays and the toss sweeps and misdirection stopped. The straight-ahead runs took over, and that's not what we're going to be good at in the running game.
I agree. People in the section that I was sitting were saying the same thing. It's probably my second biggest gripe about Zimmer.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Raptorman wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 pm The only thing I want the Vikings to do is to keep trying to score. I don't care if you are up 35-0, never let your foot off the gas. It's the other teams' job to stop you from scoring. If they can't, that is their problem, not yours.

I get the idea of running the ball to shorten the game when you're up 4 scores. But it felt like the Vikings got TOO conservative against Atlanta. The stretch outside zone plays and the toss sweeps and misdirection stopped. The straight-ahead runs took over, and that's not what we're going to be good at in the running game.
I completely agree with this. I wanted them to keep piling on. It seemed they went ultra-conservative. I didn't want them to pass necessarily, but there were more effective runs that could have been called. Maybe Atlanta made some adjustments that caused the change.
Damian
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Nice breakdown of Irv Smith's game 1.
Irv Smith didn’t have a stat line that anyone dreams about for their rookie debut. Zero catches on zero targets for zero yards. But a closer analysis of the coaches film from Sunday’s 28-12 win by the Minnesota Vikings over the Atlanta Falcons showed a number of things that bode well for Smith’s 2019 season. Let’s have a look…
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/201 ... lid-debut/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

I suspect they felt they could wrap things up that way without showing Green Bay any more of their cards.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

PsyDanny wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:24 pm I suspect they felt they could wrap things up that way without showing Green Bay any more of their cards.
Not sure if that's true, but I like the take and am willing to accept it. :smilevike:
Damian