Vikings trade for Vedvik

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Martin
Starter

Re: Vikings trade for Vedvik

Post by Purple Martin »

I wish I could be so optimistic. I think Bailey is finished, and will return to 2018 form as soon as the season starts. Kickers rarely come back from the dead, and this team destroys kickers. Once that bug of doubt gets into their head it eats all the way through their tiny brains. Bailey was stinking up the place before Vedvik got here, anyone really think 2 weeks of Vedvik stinking even worse somehow cured him?
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 0730707973
Jets claimed K Kaare Vedvik on waivers from Minnesota, per source. Jets tried trading for him with Baltimore; now get him for no draft comp.
What an absolutely embarrassing saga for this team and FO. I at least give them some credit for cutting their losses and moving on instead of trying to roster the guy to save face.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:58 am
Vedvik will never play in the NFL. He couldn't hit a FG in college. And his punting.... I guess he will hit a 70 yarder and then a bunch of crap kicks. That don't work either. If it helped Baily then I guess it's ok. We should have hit this in January not the end of August.
I just hope Bailey has gotten whatever his problems were taken care of and he becomes a good reliable kicker. Trying to be optimistic .
It sucks that it took wasting a pick on a "gimmick" to try and figure it out, well I mean TRY and figure it out.
I sure miss the days of Fuad Revaiz where you you just figured it was a sure 3 pts of extra point when he took the field. Until the Falcons game Gary Anderson was that guy.

This garbage of holding our breaths on even a short routine kick just gets so old .
Like I said, I'm trying to channel some optimism for Bailey. Don't confuse that wishful thinking on my part as confidence in any way.
Now we have two kickers who know the team really don't want them. Baily is a good kicker. Now watch him shank a short game winner opening week. That's how I see it happening. Or Wile missing a punt attempt to lead to our downfall. We have much bigger problems than this.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Martin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:37 am I wish I could be so optimistic. I think Bailey is finished, and will return to 2018 form as soon as the season starts. Kickers rarely come back from the dead, and this team destroys kickers. Once that bug of doubt gets into their head it eats all the way through their tiny brains. Bailey was stinking up the place before Vedvik got here, anyone really think 2 weeks of Vedvik stinking even worse somehow cured him?
Actually yeah ... I think it's possible the Vedvik situation may have helped Bailey. Interesting, but the way you've phrased your question implies that you think anybody who's optimistic about this is a fool.

So here's my question. If Bailey does stink it up and you're right, what then? Is that somehow a source of pride?

Being pessimistic about the Minnesota Vikings is easy. It's what 9 out of 10 fans do. Being optimistic is way, way harder. Not only do you have to deal with any disappointment that may arise, but you also you have to deal with everybody who thinks you're a fool for being optimistic.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:24 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:39 am I say the trade for Vedvik helped Bailey get his head on straight. So it wasn't a failure.
Ding ding we have a WINNER. Perfect post. Had a guy come in driving the engine of the Hype Train to come in and kick, punt, hold and maybe make T bones for the team after the games. Put some pressure on Bailey, and he started kicking better and won the job.
If THAT made Bailey turn back into the reliable kicker of old, and we can count on him every time he trots out there... well worth the 5th rd pick and the drama for me.
Just my opinion. Might be " Just What the Doctor Ordered"...thanks Nuge... for Bailey and his success for the Vikes. I hope so
Lmao.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I don’t think our kicking woes are over but not for the same reasons others think. Not only do we have a rookie LS but we also have one of the most injury prone players as holder. Beebe wasn’t asked to do much last year and was only active for 3 games. Now he’s tasked with being the #3 guy and staying healthy for 16 games. It’s hard not to be pessimistic when there’s such an obvious flaw in their logic.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:59 pm
Purple Martin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:37 am I wish I could be so optimistic. I think Bailey is finished, and will return to 2018 form as soon as the season starts. Kickers rarely come back from the dead, and this team destroys kickers. Once that bug of doubt gets into their head it eats all the way through their tiny brains. Bailey was stinking up the place before Vedvik got here, anyone really think 2 weeks of Vedvik stinking even worse somehow cured him?
Actually yeah ... I think it's possible the Vedvik situation may have helped Bailey. Interesting, but the way you've phrased your question implies that you think anybody who's optimistic about this is a fool.

So here's my question. If Bailey does stink it up and you're right, what then? Is that somehow a source of pride?

Being pessimistic about the Minnesota Vikings is easy. It's what 9 out of 10 fans do. Being optimistic is way, way harder. Not only do you have to deal with any disappointment that may arise, but you also you have to deal with everybody who thinks you're a fool for being optimistic.

Don't put words in my mouth. I think its extremely unlikely that bringing in a worse kicker for 2 weeks will have any lasting positive impact on a veteran who has been subpar for several years now.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Martin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:23 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Don't put words in my mouth. I think its extremely unlikely that bringing in a worse kicker for 2 weeks will have any lasting positive impact on a veteran who has been subpar for several years now.
You know what, man? Whatever. Perception is in the eye of the perceiver, and to this perceiver, "does anyone really think" means "nobody could possibly disagree."

Well guess what? I disagree. I choose to believe that Dan Bailey will have a bounceback year. Believe what you want. But you're not right just because you say "does anyone really think."
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:27 pm I don’t think our kicking woes are over but not for the same reasons others think. Not only do we have a rookie LS but we also have one of the most injury prone players as holder. Beebe wasn’t asked to do much last year and was only active for 3 games. Now he’s tasked with being the #3 guy and staying healthy for 16 games. It’s hard not to be pessimistic when there’s such an obvious flaw in their logic.
The guy weighs 170. Can you imagine that in the slot. Shouldn't take long. I have never witnessed a cluster F like this. Every piece of an important function is a question mark. This can't have a pretty ending.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:54 am https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 0730707973
Jets claimed K Kaare Vedvik on waivers from Minnesota, per source. Jets tried trading for him with Baltimore; now get him for no draft comp.
What an absolutely embarrassing saga for this team and FO. I at least give them some credit for cutting their losses and moving on instead of trying to roster the guy to save face.
Agreed. I love Spielman but this was a horrible trade. The guy had a few good kicks in the preseason (was going to be released with tucker there) and we traded a 5th for him. The ravens got a 4th for fricken Joe Flacco! We gave up a 5th for a no-name kicker.

I will say though, like the signing of McLaughlin to the PS. I was at the bills game and watched him warmup, the kid is pretty good. He nailed a big kick in the end of that game too. I remember saying at the game, “the bills backup kicker is 10x better than the guy we just traded a 5th for”
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The one good thing is the Vikings are projected to have 11 picks next year so it won’t be as big an impact.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Thanks for the great post. Got a laugh out of it.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:27 pm I don’t think our kicking woes are over but not for the same reasons others think. Not only do we have a rookie LS but we also have one of the most injury prone players as holder. Beebe wasn’t asked to do much last year and was only active for 3 games. Now he’s tasked with being the #3 guy and staying healthy for 16 games. It’s hard not to be pessimistic when there’s such an obvious flaw in their logic.
I feel that the holder duty is one of the reasons they brought in Vedvik, and now one of the reasons they went with Colquitt. Stinks to waste a 5th round pick on the guy, but relying on Beebe to fulfill that task and presumably get some playing time in the slot was probably also concerning to people higher up in the organization that either one of us!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm
I feel that the holder duty is one of the reasons they brought in Vedvik, and now one of the reasons they went with Colquitt. Stinks to waste a 5th round pick on the guy, but relying on Beebe to fulfill that task and presumably get some playing time in the slot was probably also concerning to people higher up in the organization that either one of us!
I'd be curious to see a holding analysis of Matt Wile vs. Colquitt. I'm just curious if there was fire there or just smoke.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:16 pm
fiestavike wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm

I'd be curious to see a holding analysis of Matt Wile vs. Colquitt. I'm just curious if there was fire there or just smoke.
That's a good question. I don't remember where the report emerged but it suddenly became gospel among Vikings faithful...though having Beebe hold at all indicates there may have been something to it.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins