Vikings trade for Vedvik

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings trade for Vedvik

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Martin wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:15 pm I'm confused. How does the fact that Bailey has hit 75% in camp with a VARIETY of holders prove that the holder matters? I need a head-scratching emo here. Doesn't sucking with a variety of holders only prove that the kicker sucks?
Try to look at this from the perspective of the kicker.

According to several articles I've read on the subject, it takes three things to happen for a field goal to have a good chance of being successful.

1. The long snapper needs to put the ball not only on the money to the holder, but also at the correct velocity, and he's got to spin it so that the holder gets the ball and can just set it down without having to rotate the laces.
2. The holder needs to place the ball at the correct angle and with the right amount of pressure. He can't be slow about it.
3. The kicker needs to execute the kick.

All of this needs to happen with precise timing. For punts, the standard in the NFL is 0.7 to 0.8 seconds for a snap to travel 15 yards, which is about 40 mph. Anything faster, and the punter has trouble catching it. Anything slower, and you run the risk of a punt block. I'm not sure of the timing for field goals, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't just as precise. Kevin McDermott has been quoted as saying that when he was in college, you could miss by a foot, and nobody would care as long as the holder could catch it. In the NFL, if he's off by a couple of inches, or it's not perfect in any way, he hears about it. They work very hard to learn to snap the ball the exact same way every time.

If you've got a rotating group of holders, all doing it just a little bit different (slightly different angles, one places the ball a fraction of a second slower than another guy, etc.) can you see how that might affect the kicker's performance?

Add in the fact that the Vikings were using two long snappers until last week, and you've got variables in two of the three elements of a successful kick. That's tough for a kicker.

Zimmer has said over and over that they need to stabilize the situation so they can get the snapper, holder and kicker in sync.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 pm

If you've got a rotating group of holders, all doing it just a little bit different (slightly different angles, one places the ball a fraction of a second slower than another guy, etc.) can you see how that might affect the kicker's performance?

Add in the fact that the Vikings were using two long snappers until last week, and you've got variables in two of the three elements of a successful kick. That's tough for a kicker.

Zimmer has said over and over that they need to stabilize the situation so they can get the snapper, holder and kicker in sync.

Hope that helps.
I see what you're saying but 75% is exactly what Bailey has been batting on field goals for the last 2 years, and one of those years he wasn't even a Viking. So when you change around all of the other parts except Bailey, and he's still hitting a paltry 75%, that strongly suggests Bailey is the major problem and the other parts are not.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Purple Martin wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:15 pm I'm confused. How does the fact that Bailey has hit 75% in camp with a VARIETY of holders prove that the holder matters? I need a head-scratching emo here. Doesn't sucking with a variety of holders only prove that the kicker sucks?

According to several articles I've read on the subject, it takes three things to happen for a field goal to have a good chance of being successful.

1. The long snapper needs to put the ball not only on the money to the holder, but also at the correct velocity, and he's got to spin it so that the holder gets the ball and can just set it down without having to rotate the laces.
2. The holder needs to place the ball at the correct angle and with the right amount of pressure. He can't be slow about it.

All of this needs to happen with precise timing. For punts, the standard in the NFL is 0.7 to 0.8 seconds for a snap to travel 15 yards, which is about 40 mph. Anything faster, and the punter has trouble catching it. Anything slower, and you run the risk of a punt block. I'm not sure of the timing for field goals, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't just as precise. Kevin McDermott has been quoted as saying that when he was in college, you could miss by a foot, and nobody would care as long as the holder could catch it. In the NFL, if he's off by a couple of inches, or it's not perfect in any way, he hears about it. They work very hard to learn to snap the ball the exact same way every time.

Hope that helps.
It was so important to them to stabilize things, that they cut the long snapper who was performing better to save a few bucks.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Purple Martin wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Hope that helps.
I see what you're saying but 75% is exactly what Bailey has been batting on field goals for the last 2 years, and one of those years he wasn't even a Viking. So when you change around all of the other parts except Bailey, and he's still hitting a paltry 75%, that strongly suggests Bailey is the major problem and the other parts are not.
I wasn't a kicker, I played LB and Guard. So I don't know alot of the dynamics of the correlation between the long snapper, holder and kicker. But as a great WR and a QB, or even a HC and his Coordinators, I'm sure there is a trust level for performance that is needed for success.
I believe that for success as a kicker for FGs, there has to be that trust. I think that trust has to come with trusting and knowing that the other 2 you are relying on will perform almost flawlessly and very fluid.
I understand what Kapp is saying. For me, I can use a different scenario that I totally understand the similarities in both situations. Mine is bowhunting/archery. When my dad started teaching me to shoot as a small kid he always said " To be s great shot shooting ur bow it comes down making yourself do the same thing, exactly the same way, over and over until it becomes natural. Then you learn to adapt when something changes your routine and learn to deal with it.
When shooting competition in my younger days it was easy to win. You stood the same way, you executed the shot the same way and I got to where it was automatic. It was SO easy, and I won so many competitions.
Then I graduated to bowhunting. Holy crap what a difference. Dad and I went out in the woods and shot different distances, through brush, leaning, on my knees etc etc. For a while after that I lost confidence and started sucking in competitions. Why.. because I lost faith in myself. Then I went thru a phase that every archer or Bowhunter here will understand and most likely went thru, called target panic. U get that its demoralizing and really messes with ur head. Instead of just drawing back, anchoring and fluidly releasing the arrow, you anticipate the shot. You may flinch , move ur bow arm, grab the bow handle etc.. and the arrow can go anywhere!! Thankfully there are cures for it. Mine was blind bale shooting. Standing on front of a big target a few ft away, closing my eyes and just shooting. No aiming or worrying about hitting the bullseye. It's hard to get the confidence back.
Now, I can't imagine the pressure on a kicker. Already having the pressure on a kicker. Potential game winners, losing ur job, etc. Then adding to the fact that you are relying on the performance of 2 others with your success in their hands also.
It would be stressful. So maybe Bailey had sone head issues and lost confidence. He was injured for a bit, so maybe he changed his mechanics to compensate.
I just hope that they get a solid group of 3 that perform perfectly and we can have confidence when our kicking unit trots out onto the field.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:03 am

I wasn't a kicker, I played LB and Guard. So I don't know alot of the dynamics of the correlation between the long snapper, holder and kicker. But as a great WR and a QB, or even a HC and his Coordinators, I'm sure there is a trust level for performance that is needed for success.
I believe that for success as a kicker for FGs, there has to be that trust. I think that trust has to come with trusting and knowing that the other 2 you are relying on will perform almost flawlessly and very fluid.
I understand what Kapp is saying. For me, I can use a different scenario that I totally understand the similarities in both situations. Mine is bowhunting/archery. When my dad started teaching me to shoot as a small kid he always said " To be s great shot shooting ur bow it comes down making yourself do the same thing, exactly the same way, over and over until it becomes natural. Then you learn to adapt when something changes your routine and learn to deal with it.
When shooting competition in my younger days it was easy to win. You stood the same way, you executed the shot the same way and I got to where it was automatic. It was SO easy, and I won so many competitions.
Then I graduated to bowhunting. Holy crap what a difference. Dad and I went out in the woods and shot different distances, through brush, leaning, on my knees etc etc. For a while after that I lost confidence and started sucking in competitions. Why.. because I lost faith in myself. Then I went thru a phase that every archer or Bowhunter here will understand and most likely went thru, called target panic. U get that its demoralizing and really messes with ur head. Instead of just drawing back, anchoring and fluidly releasing the arrow, you anticipate the shot. You may flinch , move ur bow arm, grab the bow handle etc.. and the arrow can go anywhere!! Thankfully there are cures for it. Mine was blind bale shooting. Standing on front of a big target a few ft away, closing my eyes and just shooting. No aiming or worrying about hitting the bullseye. It's hard to get the confidence back.
Now, I can't imagine the pressure on a kicker. Already having the pressure on a kicker. Potential game winners, losing ur job, etc. Then adding to the fact that you are relying on the performance of 2 others with your success in their hands also.
It would be stressful. So maybe Bailey had sone head issues and lost confidence. He was injured for a bit, so maybe he changed his mechanics to compensate.
I just hope that they get a solid group of 3 that perform perfectly and we can have confidence when our kicking unit trots out onto the field.
I think shooting a bow is a great analogy for kicking, and if a bowhunter goes from very accurate to missing all of their shots it is likely a mental issue, just like it is probably a mental issue for the kicker. Sometimes changing your bow can get you over the mental block, sometimes you will still miss all of your shots.

At the end of the day, the issue is probably mental for Bailey, and if changing holders gives him more confidence and gets him to kick better, great. Stranger things have happened.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:58 am

Hope that helps.
It was so important to them to stabilize things, that they cut the long snapper who was performing better to save a few bucks.
Purple Martin asked a reasonable question in a reasonable way, so I gave a reasonable answer. And all you can do is butt in with your worthless commentary. How do you know McDermott was performing better? Are you on the practice field? In the locker room? In the GM's office, or Zimmer's office when he's talking about it with his Special Team's Coordinator? No. You're not. All you've got is your painfully uninformed opinion.

Consider yourself foed. I'm done with you.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Hope that helps.
Two years ago, Bailey had an injury and tried to come back.

Last year, he had a first-time holder who had never done it before reporting to the Vikings. That's where the Mike Priefer quotes are applicable. Interesting how Carlson couldn't make a kick for us, then hit 16-of-17 for Oakland. Meanwhile, Dan Bailey came in and struggled. What's the common factor? The holder. In my opinion, that strongly suggests the holder contributed significantly, even if he wasn't the total problem.

This year, Bailey's had two snappers and God-knows-how-many holders.

You asked how a holder can affect a kicker. I've given you the best answer I know how to give. Feel free to disagree. But in all likelihood, Dan Bailey will be kicking for the Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here's what I hear you saying, Bowhunter.

You were (are) a really good archer. You'd done it for a long time, and you had confidence you could win any competition you entered. But then, outside factors (bowhunting, shooting from unfamiliar positions, different distances, obstacles, etc.) caused you to go into a slump in your competitions.

I see that as the same thing with Dan Bailey. He was a longtime NFL kicker, for whom making field goals was pretty easy. Then he ran into some outside factors. He was injured. When he came back, he was off. Probably lost a little confidence. Came to the Vikings and ran into more outside factors, such as a first-time holder. Continued to have issues.

Just as you never actually lost the ability to shoot straight, Bailey never lost the ability to kick straight. You had things to work through, and so did (does) Bailey.

I'm not saying NONE of this is Bailey's doing. I'm saying there are other factors at play. And here's something else. Bailey isn't missing practice kicks that aren't live, and where holder and snapper aren't involved. He's missing kicks when the three of them have to work together.

If people can't admit that having two long snappers and several different holders might exacerbate issues that a kicker is already having, then their minds are made up and there's nothing else I can say to change it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Here's what I hear you saying, Bowhunter.

You were (are) a really good archer. You'd done it for a long time, and you had confidence you could win any competition you entered. But then, outside factors (bowhunting, shooting from unfamiliar positions, different distances, obstacles, etc.) caused you to go into a slump in your competitions.

I see that as the same thing with Dan Bailey. He was a longtime NFL kicker, for whom making field goals was pretty easy. Then he ran into some outside factors. He was injured. When he came back, he was off. Probably lost a little confidence. Came to the Vikings and ran into more outside factors, such as a first-time holder. Continued to have issues.

Just as you never actually lost the ability to shoot straight, Bailey never lost the ability to kick straight. You had things to work through, and so did (does) Bailey.

I'm not saying NONE of this is Bailey's doing. I'm saying there are other factors at play. And here's something else. Bailey isn't missing practice kicks that aren't live, and where holder and snapper aren't involved. He's missing kicks when the three of them have to work together.

If people can't admit that having two long snappers and several different holders might exacerbate issues that a kicker is already having, then their minds are made up and there's nothing else I can say to change it.
Yes sir exactly. I will be 55 this October and have been hunting since I was old enough to be the rabbit "dog" and start helping blood trail. Then I was able to sit with dad on stand, then finally when dada and grandpa were confident I was ready, and able, to shoot at a live deer I was able to hunt . I've been at it ever since. Last season I killed a beautiful buck in the 1st wk of the bow season ( I only bowhunt big game only use gun for rabbit hunting). This buck made my 45th deer here in Ohio. Many years we were only allowed 1 tag. I also shot 3 d shoots for many years.
But sometimes something happens and u just get a mental block... ir 2 years I had shoulder issues.. and it can really screw up ur confidence. Almost every Bowhunter I know has had it happen at one or another. As an old famous Bowhunter who authored books, was one of the first to start making hunting videos and did seminars said.. Target Panic...if you shoot bows long enough it's not a matter of IF, but its WHEN you will get it.
Fortunately I was able to get past it pretty quickly and have never had it again. And hope I never so.
I shoot alot, and it gives u a confidence when drawing and preparing to try and take the life of a beautiful animal. Very few things gnaw at you as bad as making a bad shot on an animal and wounding and /or losing it. It's terrible.
That's where the confidence thing comes in. PRACTICE.. LOTS of it.. causes you to do it naturally on stand. When ur shooting great before the season, that translates into confidence out in the woods.
Now I cant imagine a kicker, game on the line, on front of a stadium full of ppl, already stressed out, then doubting his own ability, AND the 2 guys working with him.
I hate it when they miss and blow games.. Blair Walsh.. Gary Anderson.. and get mad at them, but also feel for them.
I remember Scott Norwood talking in an interview a few years ago how for so long it ruined he and his family's lives.
I really hope the Vikes settle on who they are using and let them practice and gel together and hope whoever is kicking gets the confidence and the mojo going.
Dont want whoever it is getting a case of Kicking Panic.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I can only imagine what everyone has already said, but at this point, I'm just gonna go with "the curse of Gary Andersen" for this team with kickers...

Their only saving grace is that this guy will potentially be the punter and kickoff guy, but trading for a 5th should have meant he's a long-term option at place kicker. I thought Bailey was a goner, but now I'm back to trying to believe in the kicker he used to be with Dallas. :lol:

And on and on this goes...

Carli Lloyd anyone?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 am I can only imagine what everyone has already said, but at this point, I'm just gonna go with "the curse of Gary Andersen" for this team with kickers...

Their only saving grace is that this guy will potentially be the punter and kickoff guy, but trading for a 5th should have meant he's a long-term option at place kicker. I thought Bailey was a goner, but now I'm back to trying to believe in the kicker he used to be with Dallas. :lol:

Carli Lloyd anyone?
Vedvik will beat out Wile as the punter despite having a worse preseason punting than Wile, because the Vikings have little faith in Bailey. Kind of sucks for Wile, but he was paid a lot of money to kick a football so I don't feel too bad for him.

Vedvik should be the one cut at this point based on performance though. Preseason performance in the kicking game DOES translate to the regular season pretty consistently. If a guy is bad in the preseason, he will be bad in the regular season.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:13 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 am I can only imagine what everyone has already said, but at this point, I'm just gonna go with "the curse of Gary Andersen" for this team with kickers...

Carli Lloyd anyone?
Vedvik will beat out Wile as the punter despite having a worse preseason punting than Wile, because the Vikings have little faith in Bailey. Kind of sucks for Wile, but he was paid a lot of money to kick a football so I don't feel too bad for him.

Vedvik should be the one cut at this point based on performance though. Preseason performance in the kicking game DOES translate to the regular season pretty consistently. If a guy is bad in the preseason, he will be bad in the regular season.
He should be cut based on two field goals, or his punting?
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Purple Martin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:57 am
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:13 am

He should be cut if the Vikings don't trust him to take over PKing based on how has punted.

Small sample sizes for both kicking and punting so far, but that is all we to go off.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:20 pm
Purple Martin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:57 am

He should be cut if the Vikings don't trust him to take over PKing based on how has punted.

Small sample sizes for both kicking and punting so far, but that is all we to go off.
It's such a stupid situation. They traded a 5th round pick, so I expected him to hit 70 yard fgs and kick the ball through the end zone on the kick offs, and/or punt like a machine. At this point I'd rather go with Wile and Bailey. I don't see anything from Vedvik that makes me think he's an answer to anything, let alone something worth trading a draft pick for.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Yeah, this is looking more and more like a colossal mistake.

Vedvik missed another FG against Buffalo. Now 0-for-3. And his short punt in the fourth quarter gave Buffalo great field position.

Preseason games are meaningless. But the kicking game isn't. Vedvik may have just kicked his way off the team, leaving the Vikings' front office with egg on their faces.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.