Kyle Rudolph unfollows Vikings after Irv Smith Jr. drafted

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Kyle Rudolph unfollows Vikings after Irv Smith Jr. drafted

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Raptorman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 am Many: Kirk Cousins contract will hurt the Vikings signing people.

Brez and Speilman: Hold our beer.
hahaha yes! I mean as long as we could swing it, why not? We're a better overall team with Rudy's leadership alone. Granted, he's at the back end of his career but pairing Rudy and Irv is better than forcing Irv into action or trying to start Morgan/Conklin IMO.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:46 am
LOL. I was torn between trying to sign Keenum for $18 million or Signing Cousins. In Hindsight I think we made the correct decision. I think Rudy is now guaranteed to be in Purple for better or for worse the next two years.
Many wanted Keenum for 18 mill. Most are quite now. He's a backup. Who pays a backup that kind of coin. He can't carry Cousins jock. The Rudy signing is disturbing. Unbelievable CAP for his contribution. 4 TDs. That don't cut it. But this may also be an indication that Smith needs time after seeing him at OTAs. The guy is only 20 and is a very good prospect. That CAP could have been used for that great G. At least that would have improved our team. We just took a step backwards because Rudy won't be getting any faster with time. Head scratcher.
Rudy only has 9 Million in guarantees unless he gets injured and it could go up to 16 million. If he doesn't produce we can still move on from him, but with a little dead cap.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:36 am
Raptorman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 am Many: Kirk Cousins contract will hurt the Vikings signing people.

hahaha yes! I mean as long as we could swing it, why not? We're a better overall team with Rudy's leadership alone. Granted, he's at the back end of his career but pairing Rudy and Irv is better than forcing Irv into action or trying to start Morgan/Conklin IMO.
Whaaat?

David Morgan would be the second coming of Gronk ... if the stupid Vikings coaches would just PLAY him (say half the dudes on this board).

And by the way, (not meant for you, PHP) I hate to say "Told ya so," but who was it who said Rudy would be a Viking in 2019? Go ahead, y'all can say it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Whaaat?

David Morgan would be the second coming of Gronk ... if the stupid Vikings coaches would just PLAY him (say half the dudes on this board).

And by the way, (not meant for you, PHP) I hate to say "Told ya so," but who was it who said Rudy would be a Viking in 2019? Go ahead, y'all can say it.
Haha I believe you did didn’t you?

And yeah I second the David Morgan thing! He’s caught 16 balls in 3 years but guys drool over him for whatever reason. I don’t get it
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Whaaat?

You got it. Same thought process as Speilman. We could have had that great G. Tremendous upgrade. Another year of no OL. It is was it is.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Whaaat?

The Vikings trading Rudy made some sense due to the cap space needed. However, I have seen people on many sites that undervalue Rudy so much they thought the Vikings would just cut him for the space and then New England was going to sign him for $3 million. Rudy was never in any danger whatsoever of not getting his $7.625 million this season. The Vikings upped his contract for the next two years to average over $8 million. That was an offer too good for Rudy to refuse.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:03 pm
Whaaat?

Haha I believe you did didn’t you?

And yeah I second the David Morgan thing! He’s caught 16 balls in 3 years but guys drool over him for whatever reason. I don’t get it
I've seen Morgan called the best blocking TE in the NFL. Blocking is a big part of what TEs are supposed to do. I like him.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

They lowered Rudy's cap hit for this year and spent cap next year that we don't have. The Vikings lost more in free agency than they gained.

Meanwhile, Waynes is unsigned next year, as is Harris, Weatherly and Mackensie and we are currently 3 million over the cap without Rudy's contract.

This post is a bit premature.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am

They lowered Rudy's cap hit for this year and spent cap next year that we don't have. The Vikings lost more in free agency than they gained.

Meanwhile, Waynes is unsigned next year, as is Harris, Weatherly and Mackensie and we are currently 3 million over the cap without Rudy's contract.

But they are addressing contracts on a year to year basis. They arent worry about next years cap until next year. A lot can happen in one season. Room will be made. There is zero reason to doubt the cap situation with this team given who's running the show.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

3 million over next years cap? Really? What is next years cap? Did you get your numbers from Over the Cap? Because if you did, maybe you should have noticed that according to them we have 63 players under contract for 2020. As far as I know, 63 is 10 too many. Worry about next years cap, next year.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:03 am
Whaaat?

The Vikings trading Rudy made some sense due to the cap space needed. However, I have seen people on many sites that undervalue Rudy so much they thought the Vikings would just cut him for the space and then New England was going to sign him for $3 million. Rudy was never in any danger whatsoever of not getting his $7.625 million this season. The Vikings upped his contract for the next two years to average over $8 million. That was an offer too good for Rudy to refuse.
The Vikings tried to trade him. If his value was so high we would have rec an offer that couldn't be turned down. The offer wasn't there. That tells you all that needs to be known. They should have cut him and signed that FA G that teams were fighting over. Now they will plug in one of the worst Gs Kline. Rudy is old and slow and is not known as a punishing blocker. That's not worth much. He caught Speilman doing something and now he's a lifer.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 am
The Vikings tried to trade him. If his value was so high we would have rec an offer that couldn't be turned down. The offer wasn't there. That tells you all that needs to be known.

Well I can tell you a team isnt offering a first round pick for a 30 year old TE. You cant tell me NE didnt offer them something. Maybe it wasnt what we wanted, maybe our asking price was high, who knows. No less, you're fine with throwing a rookie TE in there day 1? Please dont say Morgan either.
They should have cut him and signed that FA G that teams were fighting over. Now they will plug in one of the worst Gs Kline.
Saying Kline is "one of the worst G's" is based off of what? His one bad year out of the last 4? You literally havent seen the guy play a snap here and I can probably 99.9% guarantee you never watched him in Tennessee. But I guess he's "one of the worst guards". If you dig deep on Kline, he's actually been one of the better pass blocking OGs over the past few years. And he was in the average range from an overall grade standpoint 2015, 2016 and 2017. I dont think he's going to be a stud, but I also dont believe he'll be "one of the worst guards in the league".

[quoteRudy is old and slow and is not known as a punishing blocker. That's not worth much. He caught Speilman doing something and now he's a lifer.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm sure that's exactly what happened.....
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am

3 million over next years cap? Really? What is next years cap? Did you get your numbers from Over the Cap? Because if you did, maybe you should have noticed that according to them we have 63 players under contract for 2020. As far as I know, 63 is 10 too many. Worry about next years cap, next year.
They only use the top 51 in their calcs and this is based on the projected cap of around 200 million. They usually get that right.

Once the Vikings cut Griff, or if he plays well and opts out of his deal, they should be back under by a couple million. That still leaves two starters, our slot corner and Griffen's replacement unsigned though.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I look at this move in the context of the offensive coaching staff and what they want to do and what they feel is important in terms of continuity and chemistry.

Lots of people posting here really liked the move to bring Kubiak in, and while he may or may not be designing and running the offense in whole, he will be at least in part, so the decision to retain Rudolph would have to have had his input in addition to that of Stefanski. So I think it's safe to say that the coaching jobs most tightly tied to the success of the offense felt retaining Rudolph was important enough that it had to get done. How much of this involves what they're seeing from Irv Smith is debatable. My guess is, not very much. I think it's far more likely that the offense is going to try to utilize 2 TEs and emphasize their roles in the passing game more, which is what both Irv Smith and Rudolph bring to the field.

As far as the comments made about using the money on the offensive line, I'd go back to the offensive coaches whose job security rests on the performance of the offense. If they felt a move along the OL made more sense, I'd expect them to have put their chips on that bet. That they didn't do it suggests they feel they're covered along the OL heading into this season for the type of offense they want to run.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm I look at this move in the context of the offensive coaching staff and what they want to do and what they feel is important in terms of continuity and chemistry.

Lots of people posting here really liked the move to bring Kubiak in, and while he may or may not be designing and running the offense in whole, he will be at least in part, so the decision to retain Rudolph would have to have had his input in addition to that of Stefanski. So I think it's safe to say that the coaching jobs most tightly tied to the success of the offense felt retaining Rudolph was important enough that it had to get done. How much of this involves what they're seeing from Irv Smith is debatable. My guess is, not very much. I think it's far more likely that the offense is going to try to utilize 2 TEs and emphasize their roles in the passing game more, which is what both Irv Smith and Rudolph bring to the field.

As far as the comments made about using the money on the offensive line, I'd go back to the offensive coaches whose job security rests on the performance of the offense. If they felt a move along the OL made more sense, I'd expect them to have put their chips on that bet. That they didn't do it suggests they feel they're covered along the OL heading into this season for the type of offense they want to run.
They felt that way last year too.