Kyle Rudolph and Vikings break off contract talks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Kyle Rudolph and Vikings break off contract talks

Post by StumpHunter »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:43 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Wow, didn't know that. 4 TDs is half of what he had in 2017. Might explain the 21st in the NFL TDs per RZ visit ranking.
Or maybe teams game planned to take him away due to his 2017 numbers.
2017 was not a new development. He has caught a very large percentage of red zone TDs since 2015, which is why I thought the Vikes would miss him there.

Turns out I had not really looked at his numbers from last year in the context of his other seasons before. For a season where the QB threw the ball a ton, he had a really down year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Last I checked, Kubiak isnt the GM of this team and not a single one of us on here knows what this teams draft board looked like, who were the best players available, who we drafted for need, etc. We can sit here all day and argue picks but none of us truly know anything until the season starts and we see how these guys perform. Plain and simple
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Total speculation on my part, but this reeks of an agent trying to get the best for a client who actually wants to stay put. Rudolph loves playing in Minnesota.

I realize no player wants to take a pay cut, or be paid less than he's worth. But the whole idea of breaking off contract talks feels like an agent tactic to me.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm Total speculation on my part, but this reeks of an agent trying to get the best for a client who actually wants to stay put. Rudolph loves playing in Minnesota.

I realize no player wants to take a pay cut, or be paid less than he's worth. But the whole idea of breaking off contract talks feels like an agent tactic to me.
You're probably right but I think they are still over the cap, right? Rudolph is clearly the sore thumb here regarding pay, along with Griffen. I don't believe Griffen will stay just because he restructured.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm Total speculation on my part, but this reeks of an agent trying to get the best for a client who actually wants to stay put. Rudolph loves playing in Minnesota.

You're probably right but I think they are still over the cap, right? Rudolph is clearly the sore thumb here regarding pay, along with Griffen. I don't believe Griffen will stay just because he restructured.
Yep. Well, they haven't paid Bradbury yet, which they don't currently have the cap room to do. Something's gotta give.

My hope is that they find a way to keep Rudolph. He and Smith together would be a lot better than just Smith. But you know, agents have a way of messing things up by doing things like making ultimatums and breaking off negotiations. Rudy might just find himself running onto the field for the Raiders or something.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:18 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Yep. Well, they haven't paid Bradbury yet, which they don't currently have the cap room to do. Something's gotta give.

My hope is that they find a way to keep Rudolph. He and Smith together would be a lot better than just Smith. But you know, agents have a way of messing things up by doing things like making ultimatums and breaking off negotiations. Rudy might just find himself running onto the field for the Raiders or something.
He might end up on the Raiders, but I think his best fit is the Vikings, Followed by Dallas and New England if they still feel they need a TE after signing Watson. You know Brady would make a star out of Rudolph if they got him.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Unless Rudolph comes dirt cheap, he can go. Had a great career, did some great things and is a bona fide Vike.

He's lost more than a step, cannot get any separation, has no explosiveness (which is a concern in the receiving aspect, but worse in all the other aspects a TE needs to bring to the table) and the Vikings drafted a legitimate replacement. At this point, David Morgan is much more valuable to the team than Rudolph. There's your 2-deep. Good luck, Rudy!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 am Unless Rudolph comes dirt cheap, he can go. Had a great career, did some great things and is a bona fide Vike.

He's lost more than a step, cannot get any separation, has no explosiveness (which is a concern in the receiving aspect, but worse in all the other aspects a TE needs to bring to the table) and the Vikings drafted a legitimate replacement. At this point, David Morgan is much more valuable to the team than Rudolph. There's your 2-deep. Good luck, Rudy!
I think your report of Rudy's death is greatly exaggerated. He's still a top ten TE in the league.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I was just reading reports on Rudy's situation on PFT and NFL.com. It said as of Monday we only have $738,054 of cap space . The lowest in the league.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:36 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 am Unless Rudolph comes dirt cheap, he can go. Had a great career, did some great things and is a bona fide Vike.

I think your report of Rudy's death is greatly exaggerated. He's still a top ten TE in the league.
Top 10 eh? I'm the one exaggerating you say?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:46 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:36 am
Top 10 eh? I'm the one exaggerating you say?
He has been a top ten TE in the league for pretty much his whole career. I don't see why anyone would think differently except for unrealistic Vikings fans who expect too much.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm I was just reading reports on Rudy's situation on PFT and NFL.com. It said as of Monday we only have $738,054 of cap space . The lowest in the league.
Aernt you glad we got Cousins??? His billion dollar contract is so worth it, we won 8 whole games last season!!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm I was just reading reports on Rudy's situation on PFT and NFL.com. It said as of Monday we only have $738,054 of cap space . The lowest in the league.
Aernt you glad we got Cousins??? His billion dollar contract is so worth it, we won 8 whole games last season!!!
I'm very glad we got Cousins. He is a fine NFL QB. Give him some blocking this year and see what happens. Why the name PurpleKoolaid? Is that accusatory of other posters or is it meant as a comment about yourself?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 pm

I'm very glad we got Cousins. He is a fine NFL QB. Give him some blocking this year and see what happens. Why the name PurpleKoolaid? Is that accusatory of other posters or is it meant as a comment about yourself?
Yeah Cousins is AWESOME. Just look at his record of playing good teams, teams with winning records. He is Mr. clutch. Hes done so many great things in WAS and now in MN!!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Dont sweat it Vikings Victorious. Been down this road with Kool aid before.
First off I've never ever flew the Cousins flag so no idea why he directed that at me personally like that. As a matter of fact when we signed Cousins I posted the fact that I personally know Cousins starting Center when he played for Skins. He is from my hometown, played at our, his older brother is one of my bosses, he is now retired and I've watched games at his house. He told me when we signed Cousins he is a great guy, great leader a very good QB BUT he will break my heart when it matters most. So far he was right. But I'm still optimistic that with the right weapons around him, the right scheme and more familiarity with the offense and teammates maybe he will succeed for us.
In another post Purple Kool Aid compared Speilman to shopping at Wal Mart for lineman. I made an obviously post dripping with sarcasm about my friends son who is a special needs young man, who KNOWS his NFL, sarcastically.. again OBVIOUS sarcasm agreeing that the kid prob would do a better job at filling the line needs.
He posted back basically saying he didnt give a rat's a## about some kid who worked at Wal Mart.
I'm a member of this forum and 2 bowhunting forums. I realize that every forum has at least a few guys who are gonna be confrontational and argumentative and downright rude.
Like they say anyone can sit behind a computer and be that way. So it's best to tune them out.
Up until a few years ago I was still in brawler mode and would throw down with anyone and actually offered to drive 3 hrs and have a face to face "discussion " with a guy who was like that on a bowhunting forum. He sudden went silent lol.
So ya know it's best just ri realize that some posters are gonna be that way no matter what.
Just take it with a grain of salt and consider the source.
Enjoy the guys on here who are fun to post with and bring positivity and good discussion to the board. It's more enjoyable that way.
Tune out the negative guys who only wanna bash others and stir up crap. Not worth getting wound up about.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!