6th round pick (1st)- Armon Watts- DT Arkansas

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

6th round pick (1st)- Armon Watts- DT Arkansas

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Watts (6’5/300) was a meaningful contributor for only one year on the Razorbacks’ defensive line but capitalized with seven sacks and three forced fumbles across 11 starts. A hamstring injury limited Watts’ pre-draft workouts, but he did hustle out a 5.23 forty, and Watts’ college gape shows an upward-trending interior presence with serious power-rushing ability and uncommon quickness for a 300-pound man. Despite his limited resume, Watts offers starting-caliber traits as an inside presence.
Watts is one I did know a little about. He was the best DT on the board. We got some REALLY good value here IMO. This is a guy Patterson could work wonders with
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 6th round pick (1st)- Armon Watts- DT Arkansas

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:12 pm
Watts (6’5/300) was a meaningful contributor for only one year on the Razorbacks’ defensive line but capitalized with seven sacks and three forced fumbles across 11 starts. A hamstring injury limited Watts’ pre-draft workouts, but he did hustle out a 5.23 forty, and Watts’ college gape shows an upward-trending interior presence with serious power-rushing ability and uncommon quickness for a 300-pound man. Despite his limited resume, Watts offers starting-caliber traits as an inside presence.
Watts is one I did know a little about. He was the best DT on the board. We got some REALLY good value here IMO. This is a guy Patterson could work wonders with
7 sacks in 11 starts (playing most in the SEC)??? Wow, that is nice (assuming he didn't get 6 of those sacks in game 1 against south east little rock state :) ). Wonder why he didn't start until this past year?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingPaul73 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:31 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:12 pm

7 sacks in 11 starts (playing most in the SEC)??? Wow, that is nice (assuming he didn't get 6 of those sacks in game 1 against south east little rock state :) ). Wonder why he didn't start until this past year?
Yeah I’m not sure. Maybe just a late bloomer.

Sacks came against Eastern Illinois, Colorado St, North Texas, Texas A&M, Tulsa, Vanderbilt and LSU. Not too bad!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

yep especially for a DT!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Out of any of the late round picks, Watts is easily my favorite. This guy can fricken rush the passer. He's explosive, excellent with his hands and strong. His sack vs. LSU was legit. Great value pick here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUcTDr83WTA

A crazy stat.....Watts was the 3rd highest graded DT in the SEC according to PFF. Only ones ahead of him.....Quinnen Williams and Jeffery Simmons, both first round picks. We landed Watts in the 6th. Had 20 QB pressures after 8 weeks as a DT. He was the 5th highest graded defensive player in the entire SEC. Ahead of him was Williams, Simmons, Josh Allen and DeAndre Baker. Also all first round picks. Also, out of ALL 5 power conferences, he was the 15th overall graded defensive player in college football. PFF did a mock and had him going in the 3rd.
5. Armon Watts, DI, Arkansas
2018 season grade: 89.8

Not who you were expecting to round out this list? Watts has been a force to reckon with, registering 12 QB pressures including four sacks to tie for the lead among SEC interior defensive linemen. He’s totaled 10 tackles including eight defensive stops and has done so without missing a single tackle.
Granted the guy hasn't played yet, but this seems like an A+ pick right here. Especially in the 6th round. Supposedly he fell so far because he only had 1 year of legit snaps and production. But by the sounds of it, this guy was a late bloomer that could make an impact on this team sooner than later. Maybe even be our new starting 3 tech after some time. And a pass rushing DT is EXACTLY what we needed on our DL. Well done :appl:
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:57 pm Out of any of the late round picks, Watts is easily my favorite. This guy can fricken rush the passer. He's explosive, excellent with his hands and strong. His sack vs. LSU was legit. Great value pick here.

A crazy stat.....Watts was the 3rd highest graded DT in the SEC according to PFF. Only ones ahead of him.....Quinnen Williams and Jeffery Simmons, both first round picks. We landed Watts in the 6th. Had 20 QB pressures after 8 weeks as a DT. He was the 5th highest graded defensive player in the entire SEC. Ahead of him was Williams, Simmons, Josh Allen and DeAndre Baker. Also all first round picks. Also, out of ALL 5 power conferences, he was the 15th overall graded defensive player in college football. PFF did a mock and had him going in the 3rd.
5. Armon Watts, DI, Arkansas
2018 season grade: 89.8

Not who you were expecting to round out this list? Watts has been a force to reckon with, registering 12 QB pressures including four sacks to tie for the lead among SEC interior defensive linemen. He’s totaled 10 tackles including eight defensive stops and has done so without missing a single tackle.
Granted the guy hasn't played yet, but this seems like an A+ pick right here. Especially in the 6th round. Supposedly he fell so far because he only had 1 year of legit snaps and production. But by the sounds of it, this guy was a late bloomer that could make an impact on this team sooner than later. Maybe even be our new starting 3 tech after some time. And a pass rushing DT is EXACTLY what we needed on our DL. Well done :appl:
The Vikings have done really well developing DL prospects, and I could see this guy being another success for Andre Patterson.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

This is one of 2 picks I like, the other being Bradbury ofc. I think our staff can coach this guy, and I think he has a chance to be good. I dont see that with most of our other picks.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:57 pm Out of any of the late round picks, Watts is easily my favorite. This guy can fricken rush the passer. He's explosive, excellent with his hands and strong. His sack vs. LSU was legit. Great value pick here.

The Vikings have done really well developing DL prospects, and I could see this guy being another success for Andre Patterson.
I think so as well. After landing him, I'm not as upset passing on DT for a little while like we did. Guys like Irv Smith, Mattison and Samia can all improve this offense IMO.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Seems like one of the better late round prospects although his sample size is minimal. I'm thinking if they can get Tom Johnson like production (or better obviously) then that's a successful pick.