NFL Draft 2019 Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: NFL Draft 2019 Discussion

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:23 pm Would love to add this guy at some point tomorrow: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 4ssv-7L83i

Who are some of your day 3 targets?
I disagree with you a lot on this years draft (and your dam avatar) but I would be happy with Allegretti. One of my sleepers (was hoping he might be around in the 6th) but now, since Ricky thinks our Oline is all fixed, I hope he pulls the trigger on him. I think he can be a solid guard. Was kinda hoping for him instead of Alexander. Mattison was a panic pick. He was on the board, Ricky didnt want to take a chance to miss a 5th round talent. God I wish I was GM.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:23 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:23 pm Would love to add this guy at some point tomorrow: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 4ssv-7L83i

Who are some of your day 3 targets?
I disagree with you a lot on this years draft (and your dam avatar) but I would be happy with Allegretti. One of my sleepers (was hoping he might be around in the 6th) but now, since Ricky thinks our Oline is all fixed, I hope he pulls the trigger on him. I think he can be a solid guard. Was kinda hoping for him instead of Alexander. Mattison was a panic pick. He was on the board, Ricky didnt want to take a chance to miss a 5th round talent. God I wish I was GM.
:point: All good brother! I enjoy reading your posts and agree that Mattison was a reach but it didn't ruin my night. :smilevike:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

lol at Mattison being a panic pick. We traded down 3 times, the last thing we did at that point was panic. Watch Mattisons draft room call on vikings.com. Not a single person in that room was panicking.

And his projected round.....4th. We took him 1 pick before the 4th started. Zero panic, zero reach. And now we have the ability to move anywhere we want tomorrow. Watch the tape, the kid can play.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:01 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 pm We have what, 12 picks tmw? Perfect for Ricky, he gets to cut 10 of them...
But if 1 of the 12 sticks, he will be a GENIUS for drafting a guy who has a decent career at ST in the 6th! Even when the other 11 are cut
Just unbelievable what a total clown this guy is.
I agree on the thought. Hitting on one late round pick out of 8 doesn't make it a successful draft.
Plua how many super bowl appearances has he had because if this strategy?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Rick gets aroused by being 'clever' like that. It's highly annoying to watch live for fans, but I suppose the philosophy is that the quality of prospects from picks 80 to 150 is somewhat level, so why not have more lotto numbers. I don't know if I agree with that philosophy, as some of the talent we passed on (Boykin, McGovern) would have been great for us, but we'll see.

As far as 'trade points,' Rick actually LOST them with all those moves:
[–]Strength-Speed *
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculat ... -value.php
Based on this chart we gave up 196 draft points to get 168. So based on that it’s bad trading. But if he hits it big on one of those late rounders, or their favored guy at #81 is still there at #102 then it’s fine.
The big jump was from #81 to #102. Pick #102 being worth exactly half of 81. Granted this is just a guideline and not set in stone or perfect. Let’s hope he finds a diamond or two!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:07 am
CloudsGotInTheWay wrote:Moving from middle of the 3rd to end of the 3rd netted us (If I didn't goof it up):

(1) 5th round pick

(3) 6-round picks

(1) 7th round pick
https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... _and_pick/

and if Mattison was the guy they were targeting in the 3rd, then I think that's amazing.
I like Mattison a lot. I like adding 5 extra picks a lot. I like this approach to drafting, especially with a 30 million dollar QB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I don’t know, to me it seems like he just doesn’t trust his own evaluation process and draft board.

So then he just collects as many picks as possible so he can throw them all against a wall and hope someone sticks.

30 guys are the same? Really?
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Readding some Reddit comments and some were notting that Speilman has a higher hit rate in every round but the 7th, including double the average hit rate in the 5th and 6th. Names include Diggs, Shamar Stephen, John Sullivan, Holton Hill, David Morgan, Danny Isidora, Jabri Price, Brandon Fusco, Jamarca Sanford, Jasper Brinkley and Letroy Guion. The idea that they outplayed their draft position, and being drafted later meant they came cheaper. So who knows...
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Why do fans get all worked up over the draft? The whole thing is a crapshoot. Most players drafted don't make it past 3 years in the NFL. And so many that aren't drafted make a team. And draft grades? Makes about as much sense as "Power Rankings". Useless fodder. With 10 picks if you get 3 starters on your team the next 3 years you did well.

Fact is, no one knows who will be good and who will not. Just think of the 2013 draft. Corderalle Patterson vs Adam Thielen. Patterson was the 29th pick, Thielen had 28 WR's picked in the draft over him. Only 11 of them are still in the NFL.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Everyone is still falling to us!! No need to trade up here
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 am Everyone is still falling to us!! No need to trade up here
who are we hoping for next???
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingPaul73 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:30 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 am Everyone is still falling to us!! No need to trade up here
there’s so much talent out there still. Riley Ridley, Hooker, Jordan, Bryant, Wilson, Slayton and so on.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

49ers just took a punter in the early 4th.....woof. And some guys are worried about Spielman :confused:
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 am
VikingPaul73 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:30 am

there’s so much talent out there still. Riley Ridley, Hooker, Jordan, Bryant, Wilson, Slayton and so on.
I'm hoping Hooker drops but we will see what happens
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:36 am 49ers just took a punter in the early 4th.....woof. And some guys are worried about Spielman :confused:
Remember when the Jets took a K in the 2nd!! LOL