NFL Draft 2019 Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: NFL Draft 2019 Discussion

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 pm Reiff, Elflein, Bradbury, Kline, O'Neill

I feel it in my bones, boys, this is the magic recipe for success!
So in the last 3 years we have a 1st C, a 2nd RT, a 3rd LG. Not bad. Reiff is ok probably slightly below average, I still think Kline will be well below average but am hoping for the best. Maybe a top 22-25 OL next year??? Not great but not a complete dumpster fire either
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 pm Line still needs a lot of work imo.
I agree, but if elflein is healthy and reverts to his rookie firm, suddenly the Vikings have a very good, and young, offensive line.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Zimmer said when DL coach Andre Patterson was looking at defensive linemen, he paused to ask "who is this center from NC State? He's really good"
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

S197 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 pm
Zimmer said when DL coach Andre Patterson was looking at defensive linemen, he paused to ask "who is this center from NC State? He's really good"
You know a Center is going to be GREAT when the "Wizard of D-Lines" himself, Andre Patterson says he's great without ever having heard his name.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Bradbury is such a good pick. He is the type of athlete Rick loves, but he has so much talent. Hes better then O'neil was. Both could be big time linemen for the Vikes for a decade. Looking forward to the other Olineman Rick will pick, prolly on Sat.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 pm Bradbury is such a good pick. He is the type of athlete Rick loves, but he has so much talent. Hes better then O'neil was. Both could be big time linemen for the Vikes for a decade. Looking forward to the other Olineman Rick will pick, prolly on Sat.
It's definitely an athletic line, three former TE's (O'Neill, Bradbury, Reiff).
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 9796247476

So much talent still available. Can't wait to see who else they add.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:18 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 am Bradbury sounds like an exact fit for what Rick describes:

But it doesn't seem like we've kicked his tires nearly as much as Ford's. I'd be happy with either, honestly.
I'm going to call Bradbury going to the Vikings at #18.

He fits the bill in every way - he's athletic, smart, good character, can step in right away at center and might get a look at guard as well. Not only did he crush the combine, his highlight reels from college show he can get into space, engage with defensive players, and effectively win most of those battles. He's exactly what the doctor ordered for the Vikings OL in this draft.
Nice work! Rick was surprisingly straightforward regarding our strategy for OL and the type of player we were seeking. It described Bradbury to a T and you and I (and many 'experts' leading up to the draft, to be fair) sniffed it. Unlike other years, however, their visits were less indicative of whom they were targeting. I wonder if that was part of subterfuge or they simply wanted to meet with Ford and others to make sure Bradford was their guy... meaning, they were super high on Bradford, but had lingering doubts about whether Ford would be even better for them?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:58 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:18 pm

I'm going to call Bradbury going to the Vikings at #18.

He fits the bill in every way - he's athletic, smart, good character, can step in right away at center and might get a look at guard as well. Not only did he crush the combine, his highlight reels from college show he can get into space, engage with defensive players, and effectively win most of those battles. He's exactly what the doctor ordered for the Vikings OL in this draft.
Nice work! Rick was surprisingly straightforward regarding our strategy for OL and the type of player we were seeking. It described Bradbury to a T and you and I (and many 'experts' leading up to the draft, to be fair) sniffed it. Unlike other years, however, their visits were less indicative of whom they were targeting. I wonder if that was part of subterfuge or they simply wanted to meet with Ford and others to make sure Bradford was their guy... meaning, they were super high on Bradford, but had lingering doubts about whether Ford would be even better for them?
Maybe they anticipated Ford might be an option in the 2nd round? :confused:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am

Doubtful! I don't think anyone foresaw that, honestly. My guess is it was just them doing their due diligence and/or creating a bit of a smokescreen. They messed up their interest in Ragnaw last year--making it too obvious--and Detroit beat us to the punch. Perhaps they learned from that?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:04 am
fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am

Doubtful! I don't think anyone foresaw that, honestly. My guess is it was just them doing their due diligence and/or creating a bit of a smokescreen. They messed up their interest in Ragnaw last year--making it too obvious--and Detroit beat us to the punch. Perhaps they learned from that?
Maybe, but Greg Little was another guy we spent a lot of time looking at, and he's also still on the board. It makes sense to me to use a lot of those visits on guys you envision not being taken before the 30th pick. At least some of them are still going to be around at pick 50.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 am
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:04 am

Maybe, but Greg Little was another guy we spent a lot of time looking at, and he's also still on the board. It makes sense to me to use a lot of those visits on guys you envision not being taken before the 30th pick. At least some of them are still going to be around at pick 50.
Greg Little was not projected to be drafted nearly as highly as Cody Ford, but yeah, you never know what will happen on draft day.

I look forward to today's picks. It feels like we finally have a vision on the offensive side of the ball. I have to think it's mostly the experience and gravitas of Kubiak. I sense we may address TE or WR in round 2 or 3, or perhaps another OL.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Did Gruden/Mayock say anything about their pick of Ferrell? It was an odd pick especially for someone like Mayock who really knows his stuff. I get that he's the guy they wanted but I have to believe they could have traded down some and still been able to draft him.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:39 am Did Gruden/Mayock say anything about their pick of Ferrell? It was an odd pick especially for someone like Mayock who really knows his stuff. I get that he's the guy they wanted but I have to believe they could have traded down some and still been able to draft him.
They said they received a few calls for that pick but they were afraid if they traded down they would lose out on him. I guess they thought other teams had him high too? I dont know, just an odd pick there.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The more I think about it, if you're Arizona tonight, how do you not take Cody Ford with the first pick? Your offensive line is trash and you just drafted the QB he was protecting at Oklahoma. I feel like that's a win-win for them.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri