NFL Draft 2019 Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: NFL Draft 2019 Discussion

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:28 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:52 am

True. I take a better pass blocking OL over a better run blocking OL any day of the week. Cook will make enough plays now that he's actually going to be handed the ball. We need to protect our QB
I want good run blocking. Cousins should only have to throw 20-25 times on average, and half of those should be on play action/misdirection plays which help provide the protection. All that said, the interior of our OL last year was unable to pass protect sufficiently and that is an urgent need. Reiff and O'Neill are sufficient pass protectors, but we need an interior that can mirror and anchor.
Agreed. That’s a good way to look at it as well. This is why I like Ford more and more
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:01 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:28 am

I want good run blocking. Cousins should only have to throw 20-25 times on average, and half of those should be on play action/misdirection plays which help provide the protection. All that said, the interior of our OL last year was unable to pass protect sufficiently and that is an urgent need. Reiff and O'Neill are sufficient pass protectors, but we need an interior that can mirror and anchor.
Agreed. That’s a good way to look at it as well. This is why I like Ford more and more
I'm not sure Ford is a perfect fit as a Guard in a zone blocking scheme, but the Vikings have been kicking the tires on him from what I've heard. :confused:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I'm betting that Rick trades back out of 18 and picks up one or two more picks.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:37 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm not sure Ford is a perfect fit as a Guard in a zone blocking scheme, but the Vikings have been kicking the tires on him from what I've heard. :confused:
In his presser yesterday, Rick talked about Zone scheme vs. Gap scheme:
Everybody talks about the zone scheme versus the gap scheme. To clarify, gap guys are more road graders, moving forward with double teams. Zone scheme guys are going to be more athletic, being able to work into the second level, out to the linebackers, being able to do outside zone and have to run laterally. There’s a point of emphasis on specific traits we’re looking for to run what they’re going to run on offense. When you can get on the same page with the coaches where we recognize that this guy is a good player, but he may be a very good starter in this scheme but may not be a really good starter in another scheme. You have to marry that up, and that’s why it’s so important for us on the personnel side to understand what the requirements are for these players at their position.
Is the consensus that Ford is more of a gap guy? They sure seem to be interested with all the visits with him, which seems odd if they didn't think he was a good fit.

Bradbury sounds like an exact fit for what Rick describes:
Tremendous combo blocker who's lightning quick finding linebackers at the second level. With more weight and strength, Bradbury can be an All-Pro interior blocker because of his athleticism and is the prototypical center you want in a zone-blocking scheme

But it doesn't seem like we've kicked his tires nearly as much as Ford's. I'd be happy with either, honestly.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Didn't think this needed its own thread. Find it interesting though that even Spielman's wife doesn't want another CB in the early rounds:
Rick Spielman wrote:My wife ... she said, 'If you draft another corner, don't come home.'
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

akvikingsfan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 am Didn't think this needed its own thread. Find it interesting though that even Spielman's wife doesn't want another CB in the early rounds:
Rick Spielman wrote:My wife ... she said, 'If you draft another corner, don't come home.'
That is funny.

I know this will generate hate, but I did hear a compelling argument to keep drafting that position high. The point was basically that it is likely that either Rhodes or Waynes will be gone by next year. Also, as we saw this past season, the position suffers a high amount of injuries. So it is possible that we'll be down one or even two this season depending on bad luck and or cap issues. We might already be down 2 to start: No word on the injury recovery for the guy they took last year (name escapes me right now...) and Hill is suspended. Thus... drafting a CB might not be a bad idea.

Still I agree with and share the sentiment of it getting REALLY old.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 am Bradbury sounds like an exact fit for what Rick describes:
Tremendous combo blocker who's lightning quick finding linebackers at the second level. With more weight and strength, Bradbury can be an All-Pro interior blocker because of his athleticism and is the prototypical center you want in a zone-blocking scheme

But it doesn't seem like we've kicked his tires nearly as much as Ford's. I'd be happy with either, honestly.
I'm going to call Bradbury going to the Vikings at #18.

He fits the bill in every way - he's athletic, smart, good character, can step in right away at center and might get a look at guard as well. Not only did he crush the combine, his highlight reels from college show he can get into space, engage with defensive players, and effectively win most of those battles. He's exactly what the doctor ordered for the Vikings OL in this draft.

I've cooled on Ford, both in terms of scheme fit, but also effectiveness. In watching his college highlights, he's decent, but not as consistent as what I saw watching Bradbury.

I like Jonah Williams at #18 too, but I don't think he falls that far.

One guy who could fall that shouldn't is Montez Sweat. If he is there at #18, I don't think Spielman can pass on him unless he knows the heart condition is a severe problem that could end Sweat's career once he's in the pros. I see Sweat as a game-altering defensive end, a Moss-like freak athlete who, if he remains motivated and gets good coaching and plays in right scheme, could end up making multiple pro bowls and taking runs at the NFL sack record when he hits his prime. I don't think he gets anywhere near #18, but if he does that would be a really tough call.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 pm
akvikingsfan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 am Didn't think this needed its own thread. Find it interesting though that even Spielman's wife doesn't want another CB in the early rounds:

That is funny.

I know this will generate hate, but I did hear a compelling argument to keep drafting that position high. The point was basically that it is likely that either Rhodes or Waynes will be gone by next year. Also, as we saw this past season, the position suffers a high amount of injuries. So it is possible that we'll be down one or even two this season depending on bad luck and or cap issues. We might already be down 2 to start: No word on the injury recovery for the guy they took last year (name escapes me right now...) and Hill is suspended. Thus... drafting a CB might not be a bad idea.

I think Spielman wants an impact player at #18. Position is a secondary factor, but if you have the chance to take a guy who has game-changing ability in the first round, you take him. He did that last year with Hughes, and I agreed with the pick then and still do now.

But in this draft I don't see that sort of game-changing CB sitting there at #18. Depending on how things shake out, though, I could see a game-changing DE there (Sweat), a game-changing DT there (Oliver), or even a game-changing LB there (Bush). If any of those guys were still on the board when the 18th pick rolls around, Spielman would have to take a deep breath and really think about it.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:25 pm

That is funny.

I think Spielman wants an impact player at #18. Position is a secondary factor, but if you have the chance to take a guy who has game-changing ability in the first round, you take him. He did that last year with Hughes, and I agreed with the pick then and still do now.

But in this draft I don't see that sort of game-changing CB sitting there at #18. Depending on how things shake out, though, I could see a game-changing DE there (Sweat), a game-changing DT there (Oliver), or even a game-changing LB there (Bush). If any of those guys were still on the board when the 18th pick rolls around, Spielman would have to take a deep breath and really think about it.
Plus, the way I see it, for a CB position, you really need talent there (being on an island all the time). OL? You really could get 5 average players that communicate and play well together and get by. BPA is always the way to go.

How much will cap space play a role in who the Vikings pick?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:18 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 am Bradbury sounds like an exact fit for what Rick describes:

I'm going to call Bradbury going to the Vikings at #18.

He fits the bill in every way - he's athletic, smart, good character, can step in right away at center and might get a look at guard as well. Not only did he crush the combine, his highlight reels from college show he can get into space, engage with defensive players, and effectively win most of those battles. He's exactly what the doctor ordered for the Vikings OL in this draft.

I've cooled on Ford, both in terms of scheme fit, but also effectiveness. In watching his college highlights, he's decent, but not as consistent as what I saw watching Bradbury.

I like Jonah Williams at #18 too, but I don't think he falls that far.

One guy who could fall that shouldn't is Montez Sweat. If he is there at #18, I don't think Spielman can pass on him unless he knows the heart condition is a severe problem that could end Sweat's career once he's in the pros. I see Sweat as a game-altering defensive end, a Moss-like freak athlete who, if he remains motivated and gets good coaching and plays in right scheme, could end up making multiple pro bowls and taking runs at the NFL sack record when he hits his prime. I don't think he gets anywhere near #18, but if he does that would be a really tough call.
Sweat is an absolute freak. Him combined with Hunter and Griffen (for at least a year) is dangerous. Imagine what Patterson could do with Sweat. I mean Hunter had 1 sack in college and is one of the best DEs in the NFL now. If Sweat is there at 18, I 100% take him. Good point with Moss. We dont NEED a DE but one is nearing the end of his career and IMO, DE is no different than CB, you can never have enough pass rushers. We would have the best DE trio for years with Hunter and Sweat.

As for OL, I dont see Williams falling to us either. Guys like him and Taylor are no-brainers if they fall to us. I havent seen us interview with Bradbury or anything. Ford has been the one we've been all over. We did meet with Lindstrom too. Lindstrom hasnt been talked about as much lately but he is one that I can see us taking at 18.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

That is funny.

Agree 100%. Yeah I dont see a game changer at CB. I do like Baker from Georgia but outside of that, I dont see much. But I agreed with the Hughes pick as well. Guys always complained about not taking Hernandez but again, whats better value? The combo of Hughes/O'Neill and Hernandez/Josh Jackson? I take Hughes and O'Neill to be honest. But bottom line is, we need to take the best player available regardless of position.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Plus, the way I see it, for a CB position, you really need talent there (being on an island all the time). OL? You really could get 5 average players that communicate and play well together and get by. BPA is always the way to go.

How much will cap space play a role in who the Vikings pick?
My guess is quite a bit. CB would be off the table completely, but the team might lose both Waynes and Mac next year due to cap space. It seems incredibly unlikely that Griffen returns next season with his contract situation, and Weatherly is a FA next year, so they Vikes will have to consider an edge guy this year to replace them.

If the Vikings can draft Hockenson, they might look to draft him and force Rudy to take a pay cut or be cut. They might do that just to get better at that position though.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

That is funny.

FWIW, Spielman said Hughes is slightly ahead of schedule today. But it's still a long road.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Personally i would like to see us trade down if none of the top 3 tackles are available (Williams, Taylor, Dillard).
I'm fully on the side that drafting a guard/center in the first round, is wasting a pick. And especially so in this draft. The guard class is very deep. And you can pick a interior lineman of a similar quality in rounds 2/3.

Or i'm not against picking up a defensive stud in the 1st, as there is plenty for us to go at.

We need to be looking at corner early on to. As i think we're all aware Waynes will be departing. If this is the case we need someone to at least compete with, if not replace Hughes/Alexander.

We all know Slick likes to have 10+ picks, so for me trade down from 18, pick up another 2nd plus at least two more picks to go with it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

UKno1VIKING wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:50 am Personally i would like to see us trade down if none of the top 3 tackles are available (Williams, Taylor, Dillard).
I'm fully on the side that drafting a guard/center in the first round, is wasting a pick. And especially so in this draft. The guard class is very deep. And you can pick a interior lineman of a similar quality in rounds 2/3.

Or i'm not against picking up a defensive stud in the 1st, as there is plenty for us to go at.

We need to be looking at corner early on to. As i think we're all aware Waynes will be departing. If this is the case we need someone to at least compete with, if not replace Hughes/Alexander.

We all know Slick likes to have 10+ picks, so for me trade down from 18, pick up another 2nd plus at least two more picks to go with it.
Agreed on everything outside of maybe the CB argument. We all thought Barr was a guaranteed goner coming into this year and we still kept him. Who knows what will happen. I wouldnt say we need to look there "early" but I would say rounds 4-5 would be a decent time to find one.

As for guard, yeah picking one in the first is probably a reach. Outside of maybe Lindstrom. The 2nd-4th rounds are going to be flooded with them. I would love it if Spielman did what I did in my mock. Trade down, make a pick and then trade back into the end of the first. So maybe trade down to like 24ish and then trade back in around 31/32. Moving up 18 spots would result in giving up a good haul but we can get a lot of that back by trading down in later rounds. My mock shows something we could pull off that doesnt effect us much at all and still lands us two first round picks.
-Chazz Palminteri