The Real Chance that the Vikings Don't Address Offensive Line Early

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The Real Chance that the Vikings Don't Address Offensive Line Early

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:34 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:49 pm Since 2007, the Minnesota Vikings under Rick Spielman have also refrained from spending early draft capital on interior linemen. Other than Pat Elflein (3rd round) the Vikings have not selected a SINGLE interior offensive lineman before the 5th round in that time span!
Whoa. Wait a minute. Sure they have, in five different seasons (six counting Elflein).

Phil Loadholt -- 2009, 2nd round
Matt Kalil -- 2012, 1st round
T.J. Clemmings -- 2015, 4th round
Willie Beavers -- 2016, 4th round
Pat Elflein -- 2017, 3rd round
Brian O'Neill -- 2018, 2nd round

Granted, that list is not exactly the Who's Who of great offensive linemen, but you don't need to overplay your hand -- because you have a good one.

You are totally correct in your assertion that the Vikings under Rick Spielman have not prioritized O-linemen in the early rounds. But here is perhaps an even more telling fact. During the time period you mention (since 2007), there have been four drafts where the Vikings took ZERO offensive linemen.

My hope is that Gary Kubiak still has the Midas touch. Everywhere he's coached, they've had offensive linemen who weren't household names but played really well as a unit. Kubiak takes linemen who fit what he wants to do, so I'm hoping that's what he's doing here. Not necessarily looking for the biggest names or studliest dudes, but guys who have the specific attributes his system requires (whether that's in free agency or the draft). Don't ask me what those are because I'm not that smart. :lol:
You missed the word "interior".
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 am
It doesn't matter all that much what we prefer, the issue I was trying to raise is that there is a real chance it isn't going to happen. If the Vikings take an OL in the 1st round, history indicates its liable to be a tackle. Maybe that would be a Jonah Williams type who could play G for a year or two (in some ways that would be ideal), but otherwise they have to be prepared to slide Reiff down to G (which may or may not solve the LG position) or go ahead and eat a LOT of dead money by releasing him (very unlikely)(also doesn't solve the LG position).
Oh there is definitely a chance we dont draft an OL first round. As for us taking a tackle or guard, it could be either to be honest. FIRST round tackle prospects are:

-Jawaan Taylor- Primary Position- OT Secondary- None, Gone by 18
-Greg Little- Primary Position- OT Secondary- None, could still be there at 18
-Cody Ford- Primary Position- OT Secondary-OG, could still be there at 18
-Jonah Williams- Primary Position- OT Secondary-OG or C, could still be there at 18
-Andre Dillard- Primary Position- OT Secondary- None, could still be there at 18
-Dalton Risner- Primary Position- OT Secondary- OG or C, could still be there at 18

FIRST round interior prospects are:

Chris Lindstrom- Primary Position- OG Secondary-None, could still be there at 18
Erik McCoy- Primary Position- OG Secondary- C, could still be there at 18
Garrett Bradbury- Primary Position- C Secondary- OG, could still be there at 18
Elgton Jenkins- Primary Position- C Secondary- OG, could still be there at 18

Following that, you have TONS of 2nd-5th round interior prospects such as:

-OG/C Michael Jordan- Ohio St.
-OG Michael Deiter- Wisconsin
-OG/C Conner McGovern- Penn St.
-OT/OG Nate Davis- Charlotte
-OG/OT Ryan Bates- Penn St.
-OG/C Ross Pierschbacher- Alabama
-OG Beau Benzschawel- Wisconsin
-OG/OT Max Scharping- Northern Illinois
-OG Derwin Gray- Maryland
-OG Keaton Sutherland- Texas A & M
-OG Nate Herbig- Stanford
-OG/OT Alex Bars- Notre Dame

2nd-5th round tackle prospects consist of:

-OT- Kaleb McGary- Washington
-OT- Yodny Cajuste- West Virginia
-OT Trey Pipkins- Sioux Falls
-OT Isaiah Prince- Ohio St.
-OT Tytus Howard- Alabama St.

Point is, there are way more interior prospects in the middle rounds than there are early on. So if we dont draft a guard in the first round, now guys might see why. I'm sure some will still freak but either way, this is what it's going to look like roughly. For guys that can or possibly can make an impact on an OL. Outside of McGary, I'm not big on the tackle prospects outside of round 1. Maybe Pipkins and Prince. Definitely not Cajuste. If there is a tackle like Jonah Williams waiting for us, it's tough not to pull the trigger instead of drafting a guard, given our BPA's at the time are offensive lineman. In the end, if we're going to draft a tackle, I'd rather do it early instead of later. If we pass on OG in the first, fine by me. There are a boat load that will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not so much for tackles. So keeping Reiff at tackle would be smart. Preferably RT but I doubt they make that switch with him and O'Neill.

I mean for IMMEDIATE starters (not counting depth), if we only look at the first two rounds and say we go DT- Wilkins in the first and then a guy like Erik McCoy in the 2nd, what are we complaining about? The starters would be Reiff, McCoy/Elf, Elf/McCoy, Kline and O'Neill. That line is already drastically better than 2018's. Now if we went with back to back offensive lineman in the 1st and 2nd lets say, Andre Dillard and Erik McCoy then I'm not sure who guys think is going to be benched on that OL. Reiff isnt sitting on the bench making what he's making, giving up on Elflein is way too premature if you ask me and O'Neill is set. Maybe Kline? But this is what I'm saying....we dont NEED to draft an offensive lineman in round 1 if the right one isnt there. If you reach then that is bad drafting. Period. If the right guy is there then yeah take him. But I dont get why guys are so obsessed with first round OL. As long as they can perform, why does it matter if they are a first, second or third round pick? It doesnt.

Another key consideration is the polish of these players at their position relative to NFL level starters. Just because a guy is the best of this year's respective class doesn't mean he is going to translate well into the NFL game. Many, many posts about OL coming out of college systems in particular having this issue. This quite likely a major reason why the GM avoids taking these players early. (Wish he would have learned the same lesson about WR...) As I've said all off season, the coaching changes were the ones that were the most important...

Oh and to comment about the NE division being a joke. I say: IRRELEVANT! They blocked in the playoffs well enough to win every playoff game including the superbowl. In the Superbowl they were able to keep a DL containing both Suh and Donald under control enough to be in a position to win the game late. Quite simply the fact they play the Jets and Bills twice doesn't matter! They were competitive when it counted the most.

AND... the point about the Patriots is to point out that the strategy of not taking high draft OL is completely viable. Apparently that idea is hiding in plain sight...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 am
Another key consideration is the polish of these players at their position relative to NFL level starters. Just because a guy is the best of this year's respective class doesn't mean he is going to translate well into the NFL game. Many, many posts about OL coming out of college systems in particular having this issue. This quite likely a major reason why the GM avoids taking these players early. (Wish he would have learned the same lesson about WR...) As I've said all off season, the coaching changes were the ones that were the most important...
Agreed 100%. That's something we definitely have to consider. And yes, I've been right with you regarding coaching decisions. Not only were they the biggest key this offseason but also last offseason. You could see how much our offensive dipped with an OC that didnt know how to balance an offense and the passing of Sparano.
Oh and to comment about the NE division being a joke. I say: IRRELEVANT! They blocked in the playoffs well enough to win every playoff game including the superbowl. In the Superbowl they were able to keep a DL containing both Suh and Donald under control enough to be in a position to win the game late. Quite simply the fact they play the Jets and Bills twice doesn't matter! They were competitive when it counted the most.

AND... the point about the Patriots is to point out that the strategy of not taking high draft OL is completely viable. Apparently that idea is hiding in plain sight...
Also agree. As for their division, let's not forget, the Bills had arguably one of the best defenses in the NFL last year. It's just their offense was pitiful per usual. But it doesnt matter who the Pats are playing, they still have 3rd round picks or worse blocking at a high level. Another reason its not a MUST to draft an OL in the first round. If they are the BPA, then yeah. But if you have to reach for one when there are better players on the board at other positions, that's bad drafting.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:34 pm
Whoa. Wait a minute. Sure they have, in five different seasons (six counting Elflein).

Phil Loadholt -- 2009, 2nd round
Matt Kalil -- 2012, 1st round
T.J. Clemmings -- 2015, 4th round
Willie Beavers -- 2016, 4th round
Pat Elflein -- 2017, 3rd round
Brian O'Neill -- 2018, 2nd round

Granted, that list is not exactly the Who's Who of great offensive linemen, but you don't need to overplay your hand -- because you have a good one.

You are totally correct in your assertion that the Vikings under Rick Spielman have not prioritized O-linemen in the early rounds. But here is perhaps an even more telling fact. During the time period you mention (since 2007), there have been four drafts where the Vikings took ZERO offensive linemen.

My hope is that Gary Kubiak still has the Midas touch. Everywhere he's coached, they've had offensive linemen who weren't household names but played really well as a unit. Kubiak takes linemen who fit what he wants to do, so I'm hoping that's what he's doing here. Not necessarily looking for the biggest names or studliest dudes, but guys who have the specific attributes his system requires (whether that's in free agency or the draft). Don't ask me what those are because I'm not that smart. :lol:
:lol:

That laugh is for myself.

EDIT: At the same time, it's not that unusual to not draft interior linemen high. Tackles are the ones who normally go early.

And in defense of myself, you did miss The Great Willie Beavers. :rofl:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 pm
fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 am

EDIT: At the same time, it's not that unusual to not draft interior linemen high. Tackles are the ones who normally go early.

Its easy to miss. Willie Beavers is a fair challenge. He was listed as a T, but probably was selected with the idea that he would play G.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

fiestavike wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:23 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Its easy to miss. Willie Beavers is a fair challenge. He was listed as a T, but probably was selected with the idea that he would play G.
.... and the Beavers pick announcement on the NFL Network set.. Mayock saying he's always been a Beavers guy Rich.. and hearing them all giggling, THEN the Bears pick Dieon Bush and they all lost it, was absolutely the funniest draft moment I've ever witnessed. It blew the Who the Hell is Mel Kiper anyway? moment away.
All 4 were like H.S. kids. Its still on my DVR as I caught it live. Hilarious.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

And the topper was when they came back from break and Esien said if the Colts pick a guy named Johnson I'm done. I'm leaving.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am hoping we snag Cory Ford if he is
there I keep seeing two tackles and some
great OG available in the second and sometimes third round I just hope we
actually take one or two good OL in the
first two days
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

jackal wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:53 am I am hoping we snag Cory Ford if he is
first two days
I agree. And if on our second pick, if Lindstorm is still there, I would love to have him. A true G thats as good as him would be great. Would open up the run game and give Cousins a chance to not only live, but make the reads and let the progression of the routes open up. He hasnt seen that with the Vikes, a second or 2 doesnt allow that.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

first two days
I think it will definitely happen within the first few rounds. It’s a matter of when. I just wanna keep all options open and not just draft OL because we need it. The only lineman I’m not really big on in the early rounds is Greg Little. I think he might be decent but I’ve seen too many bad reports on him being lazy and such. Outside of that, there isn’t much I don’t like from rounds 1-3
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 am
mansquatch wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 am
Agreed 100%. That's something we definitely have to consider. And yes, I've been right with you regarding coaching decisions. Not only were they the biggest key this offseason but also last offseason. You could see how much our offensive dipped with an OC that didnt know how to balance an offense and the passing of Sparano.

Also agree. As for their division, let's not forget, the Bills had arguably one of the best defenses in the NFL last year. It's just their offense was pitiful per usual. But it doesnt matter who the Pats are playing, they still have 3rd round picks or worse blocking at a high level. Another reason its not a MUST to draft an OL in the first round. If they are the BPA, then yeah. But if you have to reach for one when there are better players on the board at other positions, that's bad drafting.
Both of you guys are arguing a premise that's wrong

1. Pats are an exception to the rule. If you try to do what they do, you will fail. Its not a system that is replicable
2. Pats drafted a tackle in the 1st round. Isiah Wynn was a 1st rounder. They like all teams realize the importance of drafting OL high because the number of quality guys drops off rather quickly.

Wynn got hurt but their plan was never to go into the season with all 3rd rounders like you guys are preaching. With Brady giving those guys hope that they can win, paired with Bills knowledge and prep, its a powerful combo that no other team has to prop up bums.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm
first two days
I think it will definitely happen within the first few rounds. It’s a matter of when. I just wanna keep all options open and not just draft OL because we need it. The only lineman I’m not really big on in the early rounds is Greg Little. I think he might be decent but I’ve seen too many bad reports on him being lazy and such. Outside of that, there isn’t much I don’t like from rounds 1-3
Little stops blocking after he thinks the play has gone away from him too often. I wouldn't say lazy but lacking killer instinct.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 am If the right guy is there then yeah take him. But I dont get why guys are so obsessed with first round OL. As long as they can perform, why does it matter if they are a first, second or third round pick? It doesnt.
You seem fixated with the first round moniker. I think its clear that people want an OL drafted in the 1st round w/ first round talent. They aren't arguing to take one if all the top guys are gone. People want the OL fixed and 1st round talent (usually found in the first round) is what is needed. Waiting until the 2nd round may work out but it comes with a much lower chance of success. Not saying there isn't talent to be found outside the first but the chances of finding an impact guy goes down.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:07 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 am If the right guy is there then yeah take him. But I dont get why guys are so obsessed with first round OL. As long as they can perform, why does it matter if they are a first, second or third round pick? It doesnt.
You seem fixated with the first round moniker. I think its clear that people want an OL drafted in the 1st round w/ first round talent. They aren't arguing to take one if all the top guys are gone. People want the OL fixed and 1st round talent (usually found in the first round) is what is needed. Waiting until the 2nd round may work out but it comes with a much lower chance of success. Not saying there isn't talent to be found outside the first but the chances of finding an impact guy goes down.
I don’t think the drop off is nearly as large as you think. Yeah we all want the OL fixed but it doesn’t need to be fixed in the first round. Many teams (not just the patriots) have proved that over the year. Bottom line is, they need to perform. But mark my words, some will lose their minds on here if we don’t pick an offensive lineman round 1.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Little stops blocking after he thinks the play has gone away from him too often. I wouldn't say lazy but lacking killer instinct.
Not blocking until the whistle is blown is laziness if you ask me. Killer instinct would be another, yes. But I look at that as being lazy to be honest
-Chazz Palminteri