My ideal pre free agency mock draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

My ideal pre free agency mock draft

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Round 1 OT Jonah Williams- Smart, tough, disciplined, durable. My kind of lineman.

Round 2 C Elgton Jenkins- Can play multiple positions, smart, great pass protector.

Round 3 QB Tyree Jackson- Gives me Daunte flashbacks.

Round 4 WR Terry McLaurin- Known as one of the hardest working players at Ohio State. Great blocker, strong hands, run after the catch power

Round 6 C Sam Mustipher- Intelligent, leader, gritty. Doesn't allow many sacks.

Round 6 TE Trevon Wesco- 275 pound bulldozer who could help in pass protection.

Round 7 FB Alec Ingold- Mike Alstott type who could help in pass protection and on short yardage.

Round 7 RB Wes Hills- Could fight for carries as a back up to Cook.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Dakotavike
Starter

Re: My ideal pre free agency mock draft

Post by Dakotavike »

I like some of these picks, but I don't see how we come out of the draft without taking ANY players on the defensive side of the ball.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Dakotavike wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20 am I like some of these picks, but I don't see how we come out of the draft without taking ANY players on the defensive side of the ball.
Yeah, I noticed that after I finished typing it up. Maybe they address defense in free agency.
mael·strom

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:25 am
Dakotavike wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20 am I like some of these picks, but I don't see how we come out of the draft without taking ANY players on the defensive side of the ball.
Yeah, I noticed that after I finished typing it up. Maybe they address defense in free agency.
:lol: yeah dude I love the draft but you have a better chance of winning the lottery than Zim not drafting a single defensive player. Definitely like the picks tho. Especially the Jackson pick. Great mid round value
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Attachments
Screenshot_20190310-203049_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190310-203049_Chrome.jpg (386.93 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

I did one just for fun with no draft prep or digging.. Can you tell I'm a Notre Dame fan? Those draft sites are kinda fun to play with.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:30 am Round 1 OT Jonah Williams- Smart, tough, disciplined, durable. My kind of lineman.

Round 2 C Elgton Jenkins- Can play multiple positions, smart, great pass protector.

Round 4 WR Terry McLaurin- Known as one of the hardest working players at Ohio State. Great blocker, strong hands, run after the catch power

Round 7 FB Alec Ingold- Mike Alstott type who could help in pass protection and on short yardage.

If a guy gives Daunte flashbacks then don't pick him. Based on that thought process no thanks on the entire list.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:02 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:30 am Round 1 OT Jonah Williams- Smart, tough, disciplined, durable. My kind of lineman.

If a guy gives Daunte flashbacks then don't pick him. Based on that thought process no thanks on the entire list.
Daunte was very good before his catastrophic injury. I'd take 39 tds and 11 ints out of a QB anytime.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:02 am
Daunte was very good before his catastrophic injury. I'd take 39 tds and 11 ints out of a QB anytime.
Look at the numbers from the NFC Champ game against the Giants. A 13.7 QB rating. That's with 2 HOF WRs. I never thought a rating could be that low. Any idea how bad that is? I know one bad game.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Look at the numbers from the NFC Champ game against the Giants. A 13.7 QB rating. That's with 2 HOF WRs. I never thought a rating could be that low. Any idea how bad that is? I know one bad game.
Yeah, nothing went right that game but it is just one game. I still think he was overall a pretty darn good Qb during his tenure.
mael·strom

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am
Yeah, nothing went right that game but it is just one game. I still think he was overall a pretty darn good Qb during his tenure.
But hey he didnt win a SB and had over a .500 record twice with us, so I dont know how anyone can say he was good right? :wink:

Haha no I do agree Culpepper was a solid QB just didnt have the team around him. Guys think Spielman is bad....drafts back then would make you barf.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:58 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 pm

But hey he didnt win a SB and had over a .500 record twice with us, so I dont know how anyone can say he was good right? :wink:

Haha no I do agree Culpepper was a solid QB just didnt have the team around him. Guys think Spielman is bad....drafts back then would make you barf.
Here is a question for you: Daunte or Kirk? In their prime of course.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:58 pm

This board overrates Culpepper by extremes. No team around him. OK. He was never solid IMO. Drop back throw it deep to Moss part of the no team. Need a 1st down throw to Carter or run. The joke Cunningham did the same stuff. Yes some big time stats one year. Look how many TDs Brady threw when he had Moss. Over 50 I think. That's solid. Culpepper was a terrible pressure player. Cracked to pieces the minute the heat was turned up. How many fumbles did the dude have. And he only got hurt because of his RB style. 2002 18 TDs 23 ints. What? Kirk took a beating and didn't miss a snap. His supporting cast blows compared to what Culpepper had. Our two top WRs aren't as good as the number 3 back then. Culpepper was Cunningham part 2. IMO Kirk is much better. Will that give us the SB. Nope not enough surrounding talent. We don't even have a 3rd WR that belongs in the NFL. And the draft won't fix that. I guess the midget Beebe will be the next logical step. Big deal.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 pm

This board overrates Culpepper by extremes. No team around him. OK. He was never solid IMO. Drop back throw it deep to Moss part of the no team. Need a 1st down throw to Carter or run. The joke Cunningham did the same stuff. Yes some big time stats one year. Look how many TDs Brady threw when he had Moss. Over 50 I think. That's solid. Culpepper was a terrible pressure player. Cracked to pieces the minute the heat was turned up. How many fumbles did the dude have. And he only got hurt because of his RB style. 2002 18 TDs 23 ints. What? Kirk took a beating and didn't miss a snap. His supporting cast blows compared to what Culpepper had. Our two top WRs aren't as good as the number 3 back then. Culpepper was Cunningham part 2. IMO Kirk is much better. Will that give us the SB. Nope not enough surrounding talent. We don't even have a 3rd WR that belongs in the NFL. And the draft won't fix that. I guess the midget Beebe will be the next logical step. Big deal.
I'm not saying he's the GOAT but to say he wasn't even solid because he had a year with more picks than TDs and had a poor game in the playoffs is extreme. Kind of like saying Thielen and Diggs aren't as good as our number three wideout back then. The number two WR in 02 (the year you're lambasting Culpepper for) was D'Wayne Bates. Both Thielen and Diggs are MILES better than him and he was the number two I'm not even debating Thielen and Diggs vs. the number three from that year. Bates (the number two) had career stats of 80 receptions, 1,061 yards and 6 touchdowns over 5 seasons and he's better than Diggs and Thielen? 689 of those yards and 4 tds came from his 02 season by the way. Based on that thought process no thanks to your entire debate.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 am
I'm not saying he's the GOAT but to say he wasn't even solid because he had a year with more picks than TDs and had a poor game in the playoffs is extreme. Kind of like saying Thielen and Diggs aren't as good as our number three wideout back then. The number two WR in 02 (the year you're lambasting Culpepper for) was D'Wayne Bates. Both Thielen and Diggs are MILES better than him and he was the number two.
I was never a fan of the fumble machine. The Phins did give us a 2nd round pick for him so others did like him. Your correct that bad year we didn't have the same core as 2000. Carter was no longer around. And I guess Reed was gone also. So that must have been a rebuild year. I'm getting things out of wack. Just never a fan of the guy. I don't have too much good to say about him.