Trade Window And Official Free Agency Begins!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Trade Window And Official Free Agency Begins!

Post by mike2mike »

Feel free to post any final predictions here or comments following things that happen....
My Bold (some more than others) predictions:
1)We are close to a trade with multiple teams bidding involving one of the corners and possibly Kyle Rudolph as a sweetener. I think We want to trade Waynes but I sort of feel like higher offers will come in for Rhodes so I’ll say 60/40 that it will be Rhodes, not Waynes that goes.
2)We will move O’Neil to LT, Reif to LG, Easton to RG and sign a center for decent money but remain cheap at RT and/or using the draft to cover it. I think Collins has a chance to start RT.
3)With the trade of a CB, restructure or cut of Griffin and possibly doing something with Rudolph, Vikes aren’t done upgrading the DL and they will consider a fairly big name like Suh or Danny Shelton but ultimately settle on a tier below for a more reasonable price.
4)We will add a value (low cost) signing at an offensive skill position or backup QB and Center and handle the rest in the draft.
5) We will draft a late round RB, a mid or late round TE, an early round DL or two and a mid or late CB plus an O-lineman or two.
Last edited by mike2mike on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike2mike
Starter

Re: Trade Window And Official Free Agency Begins!

Post by mike2mike »

I’m 20m early technically but I might not be able to post then
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I really hope they're not banking on Easton. That was a serious injury and he wasn't that great to begin with. It would be a huge gamble.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

They was pretty high on Aviante Collins last season till he got injured. Not sure where he will figure in this season.
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

S197 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:57 pm I really hope they're not banking on Easton. That was a serious injury and he wasn't that great to begin with. It would be a huge gamble.
I think they’ll get another primary option and Easton will just be here to compete at any available spot (guard or center) and provide depth.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mike2mike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:41 pm Feel free to post any final predictions here or comments following things that happen....
My Bold (some more than others) predictions:
1)We are close to a trade with multiple teams bidding involving one of the corners and possibly Kyle Rudolph as a sweetener. I think We want to trade Waynes but I sort of feel like higher offers will come in for Rhodes so I’ll say 60/40 that it will be Rhodes, not Waynes that goes.
2)We will move O’Neil to LT, Reif to LG, Easton to RG and sign a center for decent money but remain cheap at RT and/or using the draft to cover it. I think Collins has a chance to start RT.
3)With the trade of a CB, restructure or cut of Griffin and possibly doing something with Rudolph, Vikes aren’t done upgrading the DL and they will consider a fairly big name like Suh or Danny Shelton but ultimately settle on a tier below for a more reasonable price.
4)We will add a value (low cost) signing at an offensive skill position or backup QB and Center and handle the rest in the draft.
5) We will draft a late round RB, a mid or late round TE, an early round DL or two and a mid or late CB plus an O-lineman or two.
I feel like you’re a little behind right now. A lot of offensive lineman are off the market. Nobody will trade for Rudy with his cap number and age IMO and salaries are now guaranteed. I’m not sure much will go on when it comes to trades. Maybe a griffen restructuring but a lot has already happened and a lot of the big name FAs have been signed
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mike2mike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm
S197 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:57 pm I really hope they're not banking on Easton. That was a serious injury and he wasn't that great to begin with. It would be a huge gamble.
I think they’ll get another primary option and Easton will just be here to compete at any available spot (guard or center) and provide depth.
I sure hope so. As it stands they need two primary options...
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Positive of Easton is he will be more cap friendly. A bigger question is what Kubiak thinks of him in terms of fit for his scheme.

Here is my prediction: I think something is going on at guard. Right now Easton, Compton, and Remmers are gone. We have minimal cap space. They were never going to sign one of the big time names at Guard. (Either that or they got outbid and decided to keep Barr instead.) I think most likely they knew they were not going to win on the big day one names with their current cap situation. I think they were always planning to nab guys in FA after the market price drops. The cap situation all but demands it.

Just my opinion, but I think \ Kubiak probably has the opinion that the current interior group of guards are not a great fit for his scheme. So they are likely going to be bringing in new faces. Whether that is mid to late cycle Free Agents or Draft Picks remains to be seen. I expect it to be a mix of both. The table is certainly set for an early draft pick at this position, but that hasn't happened so many times that I'm not holding my breath. (I think 3 technique is a likely direction for the 1st round pick.)

Bigger question is can they coach them up to be competitive in the post season over the course of a single season? Having Kubiak has the chops to do this, but will he get it done? That is the question IMO.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:25 am Positive of Easton is he will be more cap friendly. A bigger question is what Kubiak thinks of him in terms of fit for his scheme.

Here is my prediction: I think something is going on at guard. Right now Easton, Compton, and Remmers are gone. We have minimal cap space. They were never going to sign one of the big time names at Guard. (Either that or they got outbid and decided to keep Barr instead.) I think most likely they knew they were not going to win on the big day one names with their current cap situation. I think they were always planning to nab guys in FA after the market price drops. The cap situation all but demands it.

Just my opinion, but I think \ Kubiak probably has the opinion that the current interior group of guards are not a great fit for his scheme. So they are likely going to be bringing in new faces. Whether that is mid to late cycle Free Agents or Draft Picks remains to be seen. I expect it to be a mix of both. The table is certainly set for an early draft pick at this position, but that hasn't happened so many times that I'm not holding my breath. (I think 3 technique is a likely direction for the 1st round pick.)

Bigger question is can they coach them up to be competitive in the post season over the course of a single season? Having Kubiak has the chops to do this, but will he get it done? That is the question IMO.
I think that's 100% what they are doing at guard. You're going to see us make late low-risk, possibly high reward type signings. Not just on the OL but at other positions too. I think it's smart especially when you're low on cap and then build through the draft. I mean let's think about who were FA's and who were drafted on this team.

These guys were all drafted or signed as UDFAs here (starters currently on the team):
-Cook
-Ham
-Diggs
-Thielen
-Treadwell
-Rudolph
-O'Neill
-Elflein
-Griffen
-Hunter
-Stephen
-Kendricks
-Barr
-Gedeon
-Rhodes
-Waynes
-Alexander
-Hughes
-Smith
-Harris
-Sherels

Free agent signings or guys we traded for were (starters currently on the team):
-Cousins
-Reiff
-Joseph
-Wile

That right there is the definition of building through the draft. Guys always freak when we arent making moves in FA. Thats not this front offices strategy and I'm glad it isnt. Get some 1 year rentals but we dont need to constantly overspend. Guys also say Spielman doesnt know what he's doing when it comes to drafting this or that but look at that list above. Those are all his draft picks. And about 90% of those picks are solid to excellent draft picks. I take free agency with a grain of salt. Fill a few holes or add some depth here and there but build through the draft.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Courtney Cronin retweeted
Field Yates
@FieldYates
1h
The Saints hosted free agent G Nick Easton for a visit, per source. A return to Minnesota is possible, but he has interest elsewhere.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:39 pm Courtney Cronin retweeted
Field Yates
@FieldYates
1h
The Saints hosted free agent G Nick Easton for a visit, per source. A return to Minnesota is possible, but he has interest elsewhere.
The Saints again. If he has interest from other teams also why don't we sign him? That's one G spot filled. Or don't we have any cap in the tank left. Strange.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Courtney Cronin retweeted
Field Yates
@FieldYates
1h

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib
The Vikings could look to bring in Josh Kline for a visit this week; sources say they’re interested in the former Titans guard.
8:41 AM - 17 Mar 2019

So does this mean we can't afford Easton? Or is he looking to sign else where?

Not sure Kline was graded much better than Remmers.

Edit: last season
Kline (58.0 rating overall)
Remmers (58.9 rating overall)
Last edited by halfgiz on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:51 pm Courtney Cronin retweeted
Field Yates
@FieldYates
1h

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib
The Vikings could look to bring in Josh Kline for a visit this week; sources say they’re interested in the former Titans guard.

Right now all thats left is the bottom of the barrel. Dont expect Rick to make any good moves.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:05 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:51 pm Courtney Cronin retweeted
Field Yates
@FieldYates
1h

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib

Right now all thats left is the bottom of the barrel. Dont expect Rick to make any good moves.
Have they signed any OL yet? I know they got rid of a few... But seriously. Have they even had any in for a visit?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It looks like Easton will be playing for the Saints this year. From Twitter:
@AdamSchefter
Former Vikings’ G Nick Easton is signing a four-year, $24 million deal with the Saints, per source.