2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

FYI for those that are ticked we arent going after offensive lineman.....

Here are "top" FA offensive lineman available according to NFL.com

RT- Daryl Williams (good but injury history)
T- Jeremy Parnell (who's slightly better than a Rashod Hill so not really good whatsoever)
G/T- Mike Remmers (no need to explain)
G/C- Stephen Wisniewski (old and shouldnt be a starter at this point of his career)
G- TJ Lang (who's considering retirement)

....so if we dont sign an offensive lineman....you'll know why
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

And along the way guys like Billy Turner, Bobby Hart, JR Sweezy (no contract details yet but I’m guessing) and Ja’Wuan James all got grossly overpaid.

We kept Rashod Hill for $2 million and he’s a “better” tackle than Bobby Hart who was signed for $7 million a year. That’s how bad some of these below average to terrible offensive lineman are getting overpaid.

We’re better off drafting heavy here than dipping into that mess
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I have a question, if the Vikes are planning on getting a free agency tackle or looking to draft (which is not a sure thing) and the plan is to move O'Neil to LT and put Reiff inside, why didn't they keep Remmers for the RT position (which he did decently at a couple of seasons ago) and move forward that way? He seems better than the other free agents currently available and my guess is prices would more than likely go up with the scarcity at OL free agents.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I agree,other than Zeitler there was not a lot of choices .We must get O line addressed with at least the first two picks in the draft.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

MikethePurple wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 am I have a question, if the Vikes are planning on getting a free agency tackle or looking to draft (which is not a sure thing) and the plan is to move O'Neil to LT and put Reiff inside, why didn't they keep Remmers for the RT position (which he did decently at a couple of seasons ago) and move forward that way? He seems better than the other free agents currently available and my guess is prices would more than likely go up with the scarcity at OL free agents.
I agree- he was average at RT and then they move him to RG where he was terrible , so they cut him

Now there are rumors that they will try the same experiment with Reiff??

Maybe they are still talking to Remmers and are trying to resign him for BAckup RT $$$ but my guess is he will sign somewhere else to play RT not Guard.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MikethePurple wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 am I have a question, if the Vikes are planning on getting a free agency tackle or looking to draft (which is not a sure thing) and the plan is to move O'Neil to LT and put Reiff inside, why didn't they keep Remmers for the RT position (which he did decently at a couple of seasons ago) and move forward that way? He seems better than the other free agents currently available and my guess is prices would more than likely go up with the scarcity at OL free agents.
A main reason is his cap hit and by cutting him there is 0 dead money. And I don't know if they are necessarily moving O'Neill to LT. Right now they have two tackles (Reiff and O'Neill that can play either side....we think). And possible versatility with Reiff moving to guard. So in turn, this leaves us with a lot of options in the draft when it comes to OL. If a top tackle is there, we can draft him and move Reiff to guard. If there is a top guard or two we take, then we can keep Reiff out at tackle. Maybe they even re-sign Remmers for peanuts if we still need a tackle in the end but my guess is that won't happen
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Husker Vike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 am I agree,other than Zeitler there was not a lot of choices .We must get O line addressed with at least the first two picks in the draft.
Saffold would have been nice.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 am And along the way guys like Billy Turner, Bobby Hart, JR Sweezy (no contract details yet but I’m guessing) and Ja’Wuan James all got grossly overpaid.

We kept Rashod Hill for $2 million and he’s a “better” tackle than Bobby Hart who was signed for $7 million a year. That’s how bad some of these below average to terrible offensive lineman are getting overpaid.

This draft year is a bad one for OL depth. That is why teams are rushing to sign mediocre players. Not sure what Vikings front office plans are.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StpViking wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:43 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 am And along the way guys like Billy Turner, Bobby Hart, JR Sweezy (no contract details yet but I’m guessing) and Ja’Wuan James all got grossly overpaid.

This draft year is a bad one for OL depth. That is why teams are rushing to sign mediocre players. Not sure what Vikings front office plans are.
There are a lot of good interior OL players this year. OT lacks an obvious blue chip player and is also top heavy. Not a great year to need a tackle. Very good year to need a G/C.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 am

Is his contract back loaded?
Gotta be
Anthony Barr Cap Hit
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:47 pm

There are a lot of good interior OL players this year. OT lacks an obvious blue chip player and is also top heavy. Not a great year to need a tackle. Very good year to need a G/C.

Agree to disagree. I've seen some of the OG and C highlight reel on youtube. Nothing really special about this years crop.

Off topic about in house FA, but I would not mind taking a shot at TJ Lang or Mike Iupati for around 5-6 million a year. If their agent tells the Vikings they can get that from any team. Selling them on the state of the art training facility. Old players care more about their careers after the game. As I understand it, the medical tech at the new training facility rivals the Mayo clinic. I could easily sell playing for the Vikings to veterans players.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Not sure where you're getting this from. There should still be some solid prospects and potential starters in the 3rd-4th round. The OL class is actually pretty solid and definitely deeper than last years IMO
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

A good year to need a guard or center in the 3rd-4th...yeah. As for tackles, there are quite a few potential tackles out there. The two positions are the complete opposite actually. Like you said tackles are top heavy but there are 6-7 potential solid ones. As for TRUE guards, there aren't many until you get to rounds 2-4. I'm not sure if you will even see one go in round 1 outside of maybe Lindstrom.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:25 pm

A good year to need a guard or center in the 3rd-4th...yeah. As for tackles, there are quite a few potential tackles out there. The two positions are the complete opposite actually. Like you said tackles are top heavy but there are 6-7 potential solid ones. As for TRUE guards, there aren't many until you get to rounds 2-4. I'm not sure if you will even see one go in round 1 outside of maybe Lindstrom.
By TRUE guards I assume you mean not T to G conversion projects?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:37 pm
A main reason is his cap hit and by cutting him there is 0 dead money. And I don't know if they are necessarily moving O'Neill to LT. Right now they have two tackles (Reiff and O'Neill that can play either side....we think). And possible versatility with Reiff moving to guard. So in turn, this leaves us with a lot of options in the draft when it comes to OL. If a top tackle is there, we can draft him and move Reiff to guard. If there is a top guard or two we take, then we can keep Reiff out at tackle. Maybe they even re-sign Remmers for peanuts if we still need a tackle in the end but my guess is that won't happen
I guess they've had a lack of a clear plan for so many seasons with the OL at this point and even though Remmers wasn't fantastic he at least was serviceable at RT (much more so than either Compton at LG or Remmers at RG). To make even more holes (or less options, depending on how you look at it) to fill in an already barren position group is questionable, especially with the unknown nature of the draft and the fact that you really can't count on getting Day 1 starters there. I'm hoping they have some sort of plan. They just have lacked any coherent, realistic, or contingency plan/s for several years now with the line and their moves are not inspiring faith in the weakest position group on the team. I'm hoping Kubiak's leadership and vision can help out but without the personnel I'm not sure how much you can expect.

I know there aren't a whole lot of good options at this point but this problem has just been neglected for so long. I know I'm not saying anything new here that hasn't been discussed quite frequently on the board and plenty of other places regarding this team, but its just frustrating.