Why did Kirk Cousins not play like Tom Brady?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Why did Kirk Cousins not play like Tom Brady?

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 pm
Bottom line is, it goes both ways. But you refuse to look at it both ways. You're strictly..."Kirk this" and nothing else matters. Not how it works. There is much more when you actually dig deep and analyze things.
No kidding? Who wrote this then?
It wasn’t all coaching, it wasn’t all offensive line and it wasn’t all the QB. All three are to blame
Must not have been me.

Also, this is a thread about Kirk Cousins. If you head over the to the failed season thread, there is a lot of talk about Kirk Cousins, but there is also a lot of talk about improving the line and the OC. And getting worse on defense... :(
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 pm
Bottom line is, it goes both ways. But you refuse to look at it both ways. You're strictly..."Kirk this" and nothing else matters. Not how it works. There is much more when you actually dig deep and analyze things.
It wasn’t all coaching, it wasn’t all offensive line and it wasn’t all the QB. All three are to blame
Must not have been me.

Also, this is a thread about Kirk Cousins. If you head over the to the failed season thread, there is a lot of talk about Kirk Cousins, but there is also a lot of talk about improving the line and the OC. And getting worse on defense... :(
Yeah my point is, you literally just said that. Prior to that, it was you constantly saying cousins was to blame for this and that. But thanks for telling me where I can and can’t post this. Because this conversation has nothing to do with Kirk cousins? The thread could be about long snappers and you’d somehow blame cousins for a snap going over the punters head
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:03 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Must not have been me.

Yeah my point is, you literally just said that. Prior to that, it was you constantly saying cousins was to blame for this and that. But thanks for telling me where I can and can’t post this. Because this conversation has nothing to do with Kirk cousins? The thread could be about long snappers and you’d somehow blame cousins for a snap going over the punters head
Wait a minute, who said this then?
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm I think there was a big drop-off from Shurmur to JDF. I think the offensive line wasn’t very good, especially at run blocking.

I am not an unreasonable person and I would never put 100% blame on any one player.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:03 pm

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm I think there was a big drop-off from Shurmur to JDF. I think the offensive line wasn’t very good, especially at run blocking.

I am not an unreasonable person and I would never put 100% blame on any one player.
Again...something else you just said. I'm well aware of what you said but my point is, you're finally saying this now, when you've complained and blamed Cousins for god knows how long now. It was all directed at Cousins (for the most part) until your recent post. If you believe these things now all of the sudden, then that's fine. My whole point with everything is that this is all not just honed in on Kirk Cousins. The Vikings went 8-7-1. Not Kirk Cousins. We can throw blame at even our most elite players if we really want to sit here and nitpick.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 am

Again...something else you just said. I'm well aware of what you said but my point is, you're finally saying this now, when you've complained and blamed Cousins for god knows how long now. It was all directed at Cousins (for the most part) until your recent post. If you believe these things now all of the sudden, then that's fine. My whole point with everything is that this is all not just honed in on Kirk Cousins. The Vikings went 8-7-1. Not Kirk Cousins. We can throw blame at even our most elite players if we really want to sit here and nitpick.
JDF was considered a god send. Now he's a joke. Shurmer is getting all this credit and his O this year was nothing to write home about and he has a future HOF QB along with the great OB jr and a dynamic back and a top rated LT..... what happened. They won 5 games. That's worse than winning 0. At least with 0 wins you get the 1st pick which is usually worth a fortune.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 am

JDF was considered a god send. Now he's a joke. Shurmer is getting all this credit and his O this year was nothing to write home about and he has a future HOF QB along with the great OB jr and a dynamic back and a top rated LT..... what happened. They won 5 games. That's worse than winning 0. At least with 0 wins you get the 1st pick which is usually worth a fortune.
Are you really going to defend Eli? He’s well beyond his prime, their OL was terrible and Beckham and Engram were out a good chunk of the year. I live in NY and see them on TV all the time. Shurmur has that team going in the right direction. You’re literally looking on the surface of things by solely going off of record.

And JDF is a joke. He has no balance in his offense. That was quite obvious. Shurmur should get a good chunk of the credit. He’s a gigantic reason why we were top 11 in both total passing and rushing last year.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Are you really going to defend Eli? He’s well beyond his prime, their OL was terrible and Beckham and Engram were out a good chunk of the year. I live in NY and see them on TV all the time. Shurmur has that team going in the right direction. You’re literally looking on the surface of things by solely going off of record.

And JDF is a joke. He has no balance in his offense. That was quite obvious. Shurmur should get a good chunk of the credit. He’s a gigantic reason why we were top 11 in both total passing and rushing last year.
Record is an important part of this game. How else are teams judged. Based on rankings that mean nothing. Eli has two SB rings. How many QBs have that. I'm not saying he's the best ever but there are much worse players than him at that position.See Case K. He has a good chance of being in the HOF. And I agree 3 wins to 5 is a tremendous achievement. Maybe they will get the guy from Ohio ST this year. Good luck with that one and will be another excuse. IMO Shurmur won't last there. They don't have the roster and there best players are close to being finished or are at that point (Eli) or have other problems OBJ for an example.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:01 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Record is an important part of this game. How else are teams judged. Based on rankings that mean nothing. Eli has two SB rings. How many QBs have that. I'm not saying he's the best ever but there are much worse players than him at that position.See Case K. He has a good chance of being in the HOF. And I agree 3 wins to 5 is a tremendous achievement. Maybe they will get the guy from Ohio ST this year. Good luck with that one and will be another excuse. IMO Shurmur won't last there. They don't have the roster and there best players are close to being finished or are at that point (Eli) or have other problems OBJ for an example.
Uh have you ever heard of rebuilding a team? Like I don’t understand your logic at all here. That’s like saying, well the broncos have Peyton Manning in 2015 so they should be good. No, he was awful and past his prime and that’s what led to his retirement. Same goes for Eli. Also, look how many games the giants lost by a touchdown or less this year. EIGHT. 8 out of 11 losses were by a TD or less (with “no roster” according to you). The point is....they’re rebuilding it. And since Shurmur has been there he’s brought in Barkley, Hernandez, Solder and Zeitler on the offensive side of the ball. Yeah I’d say that’s an excellent start to rebuilding your roster. When you come in your first year and enter a rebuild, nobody really cares about your record year 1 or maybe even year 2 given the severity of your roster. It’s aboht the future
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:06 am
Uh have you ever heard of rebuilding a team? Like I don’t understand your logic at all here. That’s like saying, well the broncos have Peyton Manning in 2015 so they should be good. No, he was awful and past his prime and that’s what led to his retirement. Same goes for Eli. Also, look how many games the giants lost by a touchdown or less this year. EIGHT. 8 out of 11 losses were by a TD or less (with “no roster” according to you). The point is....they’re rebuilding it. And since Shurmur has been there he’s brought in Barkley, Hernandez, Solder and Zeitler on the offensive side of the ball. Yeah I’d say that’s an excellent start to rebuilding your roster. When you come in your first year and enter a rebuild, nobody really cares about your record year 1 or maybe even year 2 given the severity of your roster. It’s aboht the future
A loss is a loss. Playing within 7 doesn't get you much. Zimmer lost some close games also. Big deal.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 pm

A loss is a loss. Playing within 7 doesn't get you much. Zimmer lost some close games also. Big deal.
Lol ok? But again it was his first year there and he’s doing a great job improving the roster. Idk why that is so hard to see. I don’t care what his record was in his first year. He’s putting the right pieces in place to be successful. That’s what’s important when rebuilding a roster
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I know what a re-build is and there are many ways of doing it. I do know this if Eli is finished as some think why draft a RB that high last year when there were some great QB prospects available. They don't come along every year and they could all be bums in the end I realize that. IMO having a good QB is much more important than having a good RB. That's only me. A loss is a loss. A loser could score on the last play of a game and the score will be close. Big deal. That was a gimme score. It's about winning the game not being close. That's a tease. Year two now if Eli is still there write year 2 off. Now it's year 3 and the same problem. To me a rebuild is getting the QB situation solved and doing everything and anything to make it happen. We still haven't filled Tarks shoes and we haven't been to the show since him either. Jimmy J showed the path. Tank a season and get a QB (Aikman), Shurmur walked into a tanked season and didn't pull the trigger on a QB. I'm sure he felt there were no QBs available at his pick. Time will tell if he was right but if he was wrong bye bye.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 am

I know what a re-build is and there are many ways of doing it. I do know this if Eli is finished as some think why draft a RB that high last year when there were some great QB prospects available. They don't come along every year and they could all be bums in the end I realize that. IMO having a good QB is much more important than having a good RB. That's only me. A loss is a loss. A loser could score on the last play of a game and the score will be close. Big deal. That was a gimme score. It's about winning the game not being close. That's a tease. Year two now if Eli is still there write year 2 off. Now it's year 3 and the same problem. To me a rebuild is getting the QB situation solved and doing everything and anything to make it happen. We still haven't filled Tarks shoes and we haven't been to the show since him either. Jimmy J showed the path. Tank a season and get a QB (Aikman), Shurmur walked into a tanked season and didn't pull the trigger on a QB. I'm sure he felt there were no QBs available at his pick. Time will tell if he was right but if he was wrong bye bye.
RBs like Barkley don’t come often either. They have the option to draft just as good of a QB this year than what was out there last year. You don’t have to draft a QB year 1 in a rebuild. Especially when Barkley is sitting there
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:45 am

RBs like Barkley don’t come often either. They have the option to draft just as good of a QB this year than what was out there last year. You don’t have to draft a QB year 1 in a rebuild. Especially when Barkley is sitting there
IMO QB is much more important than a RB. We had one of the best ever and we didn't make the show. Give me one of the best QBs ever and we will make the show. As for Shurmur not drafting a top QB last year I thought was a mistake. It will take a QB a few seasons just to get up to speed. A RB can step right in. To me RBs are plug and play guys. Some mocks have the Giants taking the QB from Ohio ST this year. Good luck with that one. I think there were better options last year but he did get a RB with a top 5 pick I think.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm

IMO QB is much more important than a RB. We had one of the best ever and we didn't make the show. Give me one of the best QBs ever and we will make the show. As for Shurmur not drafting a top QB last year I thought was a mistake. It will take a QB a few seasons just to get up to speed. A RB can step right in. To me RBs are plug and play guys. Some mocks have the Giants taking the QB from Ohio ST this year. Good luck with that one. I think there were better options last year but he did get a RB with a top 5 pick I think.
Outside of mayfield, Allen, Rosen and Darnold have been far from anything great. So did they really lose out on that much? Sure doesn’t look like it.

So they can land a top QB this year and drafted Barkley last year

OR

Draft a guy like Rosen, Darnold or Allen last year and draft random RB this year (this class is extremely weak).

It’s a no brainer. The QBs last year vs this year talent wise are very similar. There isn’t a RB that could hold Barkley’s jock strap in this draft. They get way better value the way they are doing it. And Shurmur has made great moves along the way. Like I said, he’s doing it the right way
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

You draft a QB when they are available and you have the draft pick to do it. That's why if Drew L is there when we pick this year it should take about 1/10 of a second to make it. Watch the Packers get him. And they have a HOFer at QB now.