Developmental Players and Long Shots

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Developmental Players and Long Shots

Post by fiestavike »

What young players currently on the Vikings roster do you feel most excited about? Maybe Chad Beebe becoming a chain moving 3rd WR, or Stephen Weatherly getting his chance to step up at DE, Eric Wilson getting a chance at LB, Jaleel Johnson, or a real longshot like Hercules Mata'afa?

Who do you think is going to get their chance to step up this season and shine?

I'm going to go with Aviante Collins. I'd want some odds on that bet, but I thought he had some great moments last pre-season and showed improvement the year before that. I also think he'll have a real chance to compete to start at Guard to begin the season this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Developmental Players and Long Shots

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am What young players currently on the Vikings roster do you feel most excited about? Maybe Chad Beebe becoming a chain moving 3rd WR, or Stephen Weatherly getting his chance to step up at DE, Eric Wilson getting a chance at LB, Jaleel Johnson, or a real longshot like Hercules Mata'afa?

Who do you think is going to get their chance to step up this season and shine?

I'm going to go with Aviante Collins. I'd want some odds on that bet, but I thought he had some great moments last pre-season and showed improvement the year before that. I also think he'll have a real chance to compete to start at Guard to begin the season this year.
Good thread. Glad you said Collins. LOVE him as a sleeper. I think he could come in and play right away for sure.

One that nobody talks about because we were so deep there last year is Jalyn Holmes. I'm intrigued to see what he can do this year in the rotation.

I'm not big on Weatherly stepping up. I think he's the perfect #3 DE but idk if I can see him starting outright. Same with Wilson and Johnson.

As for Beebe, I do like the kid for sure. My only thing is, he's a true slot. And Thielen has transitioned into a big time slot WR. We need a big body on the outside IMO. Beebe would be a great #4 IMO. But not a #3. Just doesnt fit
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:29 pm

I'm not big on Weatherly stepping up. I think he's the perfect #3 DE but idk if I can see him starting outright. Same with Wilson and Johnson.

As for Beebe, I do like the kid for sure. My only thing is, he's a true slot. And Thielen has transitioned into a big time slot WR. We need a big body on the outside IMO. Beebe would be a great #4 IMO. But not a #3. Just doesnt fit
I really like Weatherly, especially in run defense, but he needs to get better as a pass rusher. With the reported trade talks involving Everson Griffin, he may have a chance to step up.

I think the slot/outside distinction will matter less as we are likely to go with a lot of two TE formations. Thielen is certainly capable on the outside, and he'll have to be since I think we'll use a slot WR less than most teams. When we do, I like Beebe in that role better than anyone currently on the roster.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

Ifaedi Odenigbo, Kyle Sloter, Jalen Myrick,
I don’t know if you can count MacKenzie Alexander and Jayron Kearse
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:52 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:29 pm

I really like Weatherly, especially in run defense, but he needs to get better as a pass rusher. With the reported trade talks involving Everson Griffin, he may have a chance to step up.

I think the slot/outside distinction will matter less as we are likely to go with a lot of two TE formations. Thielen is certainly capable on the outside, and he'll have to be since I think we'll use a slot WR less than most teams. When we do, I like Beebe in that role better than anyone currently on the roster.
We don't have anyone else so of course he's the top guy. Certainly not what a team would want but it is was it is.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Looking forward to seeing what Collins and Sloter has to show this preseason.
Not really sure what Hill's situation will be. Also like to see how much they play Hughes
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I hope Hercules can get back out there this season. I loved watching the guy at WSU and wanted to see if his motor and instinctiveness could hustle its way into a productive member of the 52-man roster.

And I'm also very curious to see Sloter in preseason. For having done not much of anything, he's fairly hyped up, but not only do the Vikings need a competent backup, I'm intrigued by his potential of maybe replacing Cousins as a starter in 2 years.

They can't really afford to pay a backup anyway, so hoping for the best that Sloter shows out this offseason and into camp.