2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:47 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:38 pm
I felt the same also.Especially after getting a decent QB. I know most think he's a bum and Case was the better option at 18 million. Case is a backup and paying 18 million is double a backup salary. But during the off season most of the experts had us falling backwards. I thought they were stupid. I should have known better. Well we have the same 500 roster and coaches right now That can't be changed in one off season. Some guys won't be back with Griff being at the top of the list. How will he be replaced? Rhodes is near the end if not there now. He's no 25 year old. And Hughes along with Eflein who knows about them. Some come back some don't but they better get guys just in case. Elf looks to be done. And Hughes first year back so he won't be the same year 1. Maybe year 2 maybe. That's 4 players just to replace the question marks. And two of those were top guys. So we need bodies just to stay even. So I don't think we can improve. There's no QB out there that's better than what we have. The Bears D is much better than ours so they will beat the crap teams including us again. We won't move the ball on them. But they have a RB playing QB. He's worse than our guy. But he's a winner and our guy isn't. I guess that will be the difference. To me we will be 500 maybe again.
One "bad" year from Rhodes and a down year from Elflein coming off an injury, and they are both done? I really dont understand your logic sometimes. If you were an NFL GM and gave up on guys so quickly like you are, you'd be out of a job awfully fast.
Maybe my logic is flawed. I'm not a GM but IMO I wouldn't put all my eggs in Elfs basket. Looked to be a promising young guy who was beaten badly last year coming off an injury. Is he fully recovered yet? Maybe he is. But IMO I would have a body in the hole just in case. Same with Rhodes a great player who wasn't last year. Will he be back to being great? That's a tuff one but again I would have a body in the hole. Just my thoughts. I hope I'm wrong and they both bounce back. That may be expecting too much. And I understand no team is two deep across the board except maybe NE who lost there LT and they put some nobody in there and don't miss a beat. But that's why they are champs I guess.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 pm
FullWood wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:14 am
To think Colin Kapernick, Andy Dalton and Tyrod Taylor was drafted after him just makes me shake my head.
So you honestly think Kaepernick, Dalton, Taylor and Ponder are better than Cousins?

There is some true Cousins hate on this board.
Oh 100% dude. Ponder got it pretty bad but Cousins sure isnt far off. And talent wise, it's so far apart it's not even funny. I feel bad for the guy in a way. He puts up an every day picture of him and his son, and our fans are literally shredding him in the comments. Like the guy cant even put up a picture of him and his family without getting ripped on. It truly makes our fan base look pathetic and it's embarrassing that people have to act like that. They did it with Kalil and Walsh. Like yeah, they sucked or lost us games but my god they are still human. I remember Walsh took off the comment sections on any photos he put up. I wish Cousins would do the same because our fans literally look like idiots. And the sad thing is, Cousins wasnt anywhere near the suckiness of Kalil or Walsh. Literally not even close. I said before, so many fans are blinded by 2 things with Cousins:

1.) Cousins being paid $84 million in 3 years.....which in the end means very little because the QB market is about leverage. Cousins was tied for the 6th highest paid QB in the NFL this year. Behind Jimmy G, Stafford, Carr, Flacco, Luck and Brees. Outside of Brees and Flacco (even though he was just picked over and traded) what have any of those guys really done?? Next year Cousins will be 3rd and in 2020 he will be 4th. However, this coming year and in 2020, he will drop when guys like Mahomes, Wentz, Goff, Watson and Trubisky start all getting extensions. So he will fall down the line fairly quick just like every other top paid QB does when a new extension for someone else comes along.

2.) Case Keenum's luck-driven, miracle season last year.....yeah I loved every minute of last season and by no means do I dislike Keenum but if anyone sits here and tries to tell me that Keenum's pop flies he always threw and his miracle pass to Diggs wasnt lucky then I'll sit here and laugh at you. No less, he had everything else going for him. A defense that was the best in the NFL, an OC that was 10 times better than anything Kirk had this year, a running game, a better offensive line and a 10x easier schedule. In no way, shape or form is Case Keenum a better QB than Kirk Cousins and no, Case Keenum wouldn't have done anything with this team this year. And I can just about guarantee it would have been much worse. And where would we be? WITHOUT a QB going into this year. Guys complain we're "stuck" with Cousins for the next 2 years? How about being "stuck" with Keenum going into the 2019 once again after he flopped and came down to earth this year? So then we have to go draft a QB and miss out on whatever we were going to take this year, and hope you can groom him into a starter in his rookie season or waste another year with Keenum and let the rookie take over year 2. I'll still take being "stuck" with Cousins for the next 2 years any day over having Keenum on this roster any longer. Cousins didnt have the luxury of a legit OC this year, a cake walk schedule, two guards that could block, a running game (that was never used), the best defense in the NFL, Tony Sparano as your OL coach....I can keep going. He didnt get that luxury. Instead he was just expected to come into a brand new team and win us a SB. Yeah...super easy to do. Especially when nothing went your way that was surrounding you. Literally nothing.

I'm excited to see what Kirk brings to the table next year, what we bring in for OL, what Kubiak has to offer, what Stefanski comes up with on offense, see a run game that's actually utilized, etc. I think it's going to be a great year for this team. I really do. But my god guys, it's been 1 year with Cousins, yeah we didnt have a great year as a football team. Move on and look onto next year. Let the coaches, GM and players right the ship.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:49 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 pm
So you honestly think Kaepernick, Dalton, Taylor and Ponder are better than Cousins?

There is some true Cousins hate on this board.
Oh 100% dude. Ponder got it pretty bad but Cousins sure isnt far off. And talent wise, it's so far apart it's not even funny. I feel bad for the guy in a way. He puts up an every day picture of him and his son, and our fans are literally shredding him in the comments. Like the guy cant even put up a picture of him and his family without getting ripped on. It truly makes our fan base look pathetic and it's embarrassing that people have to act like that. They did it with Kalil and Walsh. Like yeah, they sucked or lost us games but my god they are still human. I remember Walsh took off the comment sections on any photos he put up. I wish Cousins would do the same because our fans literally look like idiots. And the sad thing is, Cousins wasnt anywhere near the suckiness of Kalil or Walsh. Literally not even close. I said before, so many fans are blinded by 2 things with Cousins:

1.) Cousins being paid $84 million in 3 years.....which in the end means very little because the QB market is about leverage. Cousins was tied for the 6th highest paid QB in the NFL this year. Behind Jimmy G, Stafford, Carr, Flacco, Luck and Brees. Outside of Brees and Flacco (even though he was just picked over and traded) what have any of those guys really done?? Next year Cousins will be 3rd and in 2020 he will be 4th. However, this coming year and in 2020, he will drop when guys like Mahomes, Wentz, Goff, Watson and Trubisky start all getting extensions. So he will fall down the line fairly quick just like every other top paid QB does when a new extension for someone else comes along.

2.) Case Keenum's luck-driven, miracle season last year.....yeah I loved every minute of last season and by no means do I dislike Keenum but if anyone sits here and tries to tell me that Keenum's pop flies he always threw and his miracle pass to Diggs wasnt lucky then I'll sit here and laugh at you. No less, he had everything else going for him. A defense that was the best in the NFL, an OC that was 10 times better than anything Kirk had this year, a running game, a better offensive line and a 10x easier schedule. In no way, shape or form is Case Keenum a better QB than Kirk Cousins and no, Case Keenum wouldn't have done anything with this team this year. And I can just about guarantee it would have been much worse. And where would we be? WITHOUT a QB going into this year. Guys complain we're "stuck" with Cousins for the next 2 years? How about being "stuck" with Keenum going into the 2019 once again after he flopped and came down to earth this year? So then we have to go draft a QB and miss out on whatever we were going to take this year, and hope you can groom him into a starter in his rookie season or waste another year with Keenum and let the rookie take over year 2. I'll still take being "stuck" with Cousins for the next 2 years any day over having Keenum on this roster any longer. Cousins didnt have the luxury of a legit OC this year, a cake walk schedule, two guards that could block, a running game (that was never used), the best defense in the NFL, Tony Sparano as your OL coach....I can keep going. He didnt get that luxury. Instead he was just expected to come into a brand new team and win us a SB. Yeah...super easy to do. Especially when nothing went your way that was surrounding you. Literally nothing.

I'm excited to see what Kirk brings to the table next year, what we bring in for OL, what Kubiak has to offer, what Stefanski comes up with on offense, see a run game that's actually utilized, etc. I think it's going to be a great year for this team. I really do. But my god guys, it's been 1 year with Cousins, yeah we didnt have a great year as a football team. Move on and look onto next year. Let the coaches, GM and players right the ship.
I disagree...
I'm thankful for what Keenum did for us last season. 13-3 NFL title game.
Who was the last QB to do that?
I didn't really expect Keenum back this year, which was fine.

I was fine signing Cousins but he still hasn't proved he is a winner.

I'm hoping Kubiak is the missing piece to the puzzle. Just hope all the coaches mesh.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:49 am

I disagree...

I'm hoping Kubiak is the missing piece to the puzzle. Just hope all the coaches mesh.
Here is my question, did Case Keenum prove he was a winner? 7 seasons and 1 winning season?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:55 pm

I disagree...

Here is my question, did Case Keenum prove he was a winner? 7 seasons and 1 winning season?
Case Keenum isn't on this team...He's gone, you seem obsessed with him.
For the Vikings he proved he was a winner.

I'm not answering your question because you have to look at everyone of Cases seasons and you then can decide. And I will have my own opinion as you will have yours.

The bottom line is we brought Cousins in to take us to the next step. He failed...Not even the playoffs.
Worse yet the offense wasn't even playing like a team.
Cousins still has 2 years to prove he can do what he was brought in for.I hope he succeeds

You seem big on excuses me not so much. :beerock:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm I disagree...

I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

The thing about Kubiak is that he's been in seven Super Bowls and has four rings -- one as Steve Young's quarterback coach in the best season Young ever had, two as John Elway's OC, and one as a head coach with an aging Payton Manning. He's a proven winner as a coach, he's FANTASTIC with the running game, and he's great with quarterbacks. He's also part of the Shanahan tree, and like it or not, Shanahan always loved Cousins. This is a GOOD THING. You've got to have absolute confidence in your quarterback, and I believe Kubiak will. Hopefully that will lead to more success by Cousins -- especially in those moments where he's struggled, such as big games against good teams.

Every organization needs a person who's "done it." The only person we've had in a long time who's had Super Bowl success is Norv, and well, he was sort of a weird case. There's something about Kubiak that breeds success. I'm praying it rubs off on the Minnesota Vikings. For my money, it's the smartest hire the Vikings have made since Pat Shurmur.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Case Keenum isn't on this team...He's gone, you seem obsessed with him.
For the Vikings he proved he was a winner.

I'm not answering your question because you have to look at everyone of Cases seasons and you then can decide. And I will have my own opinion as you will have yours.

The bottom line is we brought Cousins in to take us to the next step. He failed...Not even the playoffs.
Worse yet the offense wasn't even playing like a team.
Cousins still has 2 years to prove he can do what he was brought in for.I hope he succeeds

You seem big on excuses me not so much. :beerock:
They aren’t excuses. Every single post I’ve made regarding Cousins lately has been a fact. But my whole point with all of this is that the team failed, not Kirk cousins.

As for Case, I’m far from obsessed with him. I think he’s an inconsistent below average QB. He proved to be a winner with Pat Shurmur who is now gone and a large chunk of luck. But anyone with eyes can tell you Case Keenum isn’t a winning QB and isn’t a good overall QB...at all.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I disagree...

Has Cousins ever proved he's more then an average QB at best? How many 13 win seasons does he have? He does have a record, for losing to teams with a winning record. Now thats pathetic.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Has Cousins ever proved he's more then an average QB at best? How many 13 win seasons does he have? He does have a record, for losing to teams with a winning record. Now thats pathetic.
Do you really believe that any QB, not just Kirk Cousins could get the Redskins to a 13 win season in either '15, '16 or '17? That's like saying QBs out there could get the Lions or Dolphins to 13 wins. Those teams have been average to below average for years and going into next year, once again, nothing will change for them. But you're going to sit here and defend a career backup that became a starter and will now go back to being a career backup again? There are a lot of QBs out there that have gotten 10+ win seasons riding a defense. And in Keenum's case, had Pat Shurmur and luck on his side. Blake Bortles (the worst QB in the league last year, won 10 games and went to the AFC title game. Nearly beat the Patriots). But Aaron Rodgers (the "best" QB in the game, had 6 wins wins year). In the end, wins are nowhere near the end-all-be-all for QBs. There are so many other factors that come into play other than a record. Just because Case Keenum "won" 13 games doesnt mean he's a winning QB. But of course you judge Case Keenum off of 1 season with the Vikings. And are now judging Cousins with 1 year as a Viking. Remember when you judged Marcus Peters and Trae Waynes after 1 year? I do. Then you want to look at Cousins years with the Redskins....but are dead silent when it comes to Keenum with Denver this year or any year prior to his season with the Vikings. Weird....
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

So Case was the only reason why we won 13 games. OK I get it. And the Redskins improved dramatically without Kirk. I get that one also. IMO Cousins is the 2nd best QB in our division. The cheapest one Trubisky is a joke and his team couldn't even win a playoff game with the best D by rankings in the NFL. Yes Case won a playoff game for us all by himself. IMO he sucked that game and was worse the next. He had to go. Now Denver will dump him. That means nothing. Yes Cousins cost CAP. Jimmy G cost a ton and I know he's beaten every good team he's played against. The Lions guy has beaten all great teams and cost a ton so great move by them. IMO Cousins was the only and best option. Is he the best in the NFL? Nope. But he's better than most and it not the only reason we didn't make the playoffs. That falls on the entire roster. Including a FG kicker who couldn't make a kick and a DE who is a stud but went ballistic. And an OL that can't block at all and let the QB take a beating. But it's all the QB. I get it.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

CharVike wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 am

So Case was the only reason why we won 13 games. OK I get it. And the Redskins improved dramatically without Kirk. I get that one also. IMO Cousins is the 2nd best QB in our division. The cheapest one Trubisky is a joke and his team couldn't even win a playoff game with the best D by rankings in the NFL. Yes Case won a playoff game for us all by himself. IMO he sucked that game and was worse the next. He had to go. Now Denver will dump him. That means nothing. Yes Cousins cost CAP. Jimmy G cost a ton and I know he's beaten every good team he's played against. The Lions guy has beaten all great teams and cost a ton so great move by them. IMO Cousins was the only and best option. Is he the best in the NFL? Nope. But he's better than most and it not the only reason we didn't make the playoffs. That falls on the entire roster. Including a FG kicker who couldn't make a kick and a DE who is a stud but went ballistic. And an OL that can't block at all and let the QB take a beating. But it's all the QB. I get it.
NFL title game:
Defense was giving up 7.1 avg per running plays and 10.1 on passing plays...yep Cases fault.
Sorry but Stafford is the 2nd best QB in our division.
Cousins has 2 seasons left to prove what kind of QB he is. Last season was a fail in my mind.

You say Cousins is one of the best QB's. What all has he accomplished?? I would like to hear...
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 am

The Redskins won just as many games with Alex Smith, Colt Mccoy, Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson starting at QB as they did with Kirk Cousins. That is with a league high 25 players on IR.

What an impact he our QB makes...
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Kirk has started 74 games in his career his record is.
Wins: 34
Losses: 38
Ties: 2

Edit: Pondering here is Keenum Stats. Started 56 games including postseason
Wins:27
Losses: 29
Ties: none

Both QB's didn't play full seasons some of their careers.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PHP your lack of response makes me wonder if your a little surprised Cousins is a loser too. :whistle:
Very similar records....
Cousins is our future and I am truly hoping Kubiak is the last piece of the puzzle.
Hopefully we can make things better for Kirk this up coming season.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:24 am

Do you really believe that any QB, not just Kirk Cousins could get the Redskins to a 13 win season in either '15, '16 or '17? That's like saying QBs out there could get the Lions or Dolphins to 13 wins. Those teams have been average to below average for years and going into next year, once again, nothing will change for them. But you're going to sit here and defend a career backup that became a starter and will now go back to being a career backup again? There are a lot of QBs out there that have gotten 10+ win seasons riding a defense. And in Keenum's case, had Pat Shurmur and luck on his side. Blake Bortles (the worst QB in the league last year, won 10 games and went to the AFC title game. Nearly beat the Patriots). But Aaron Rodgers (the "best" QB in the game, had 6 wins wins year). In the end, wins are nowhere near the end-all-be-all for QBs. There are so many other factors that come into play other than a record. Just because Case Keenum "won" 13 games doesnt mean he's a winning QB. But of course you judge Case Keenum off of 1 season with the Vikings. And are now judging Cousins with 1 year as a Viking. Remember when you judged Marcus Peters and Trae Waynes after 1 year? I do. Then you want to look at Cousins years with the Redskins....but are dead silent when it comes to Keenum with Denver this year or any year prior to his season with the Vikings. Weird....
Do you get paid to be a Cousins apologist? And for being a Case hater? It was an easy question, how many 13 wins seasons has Cousins had?