Something is telling me you guys would like my hobby....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Something is telling me you guys would like my hobby....

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

So I wanted to share this with you guys. When I was a kid I was always huge into collecting football cards. Really all sports cards but 90% were football. Been a die hard Vikings and NFL fan my whole life. Every time I got a new pack I was always hoping for a Vikings autographed card. Hardly ever got them. Got some autographs but the only Vikings auto I ever got in a pack was Warren Moon. Well in the last 6-7 years, I decided to buy Viking autographed cards off Ebay. I am very picky about what I buy. They have to be certified autos and serial numbered. Because there are a lot of fakes out there.

Well I finally got the man cave finished up and all my Vikings autographs on display. I keep a spreadsheet and have it number 1-99 and two columns next to each number. One being for Vikings legends that wore that specific number and the other for current Vikings that wear that number. I even did coaches. Now some of this is taking a chance. For example, buying a Mike Hughes autograph or a Jaleel Johnson autograph early because they are cheaper and hope they turn into a stud down the road. Some of course, I missed on (Treadwell, Johnson, Coley, etc) but others I hit big on (Hunter, Diggs, Thielen). I don't think I paid over $10-$15 for either of those big 3. Now their cards are around $50+.

Remember I've done this over the last 6-7 years or so, so I'm not broke right now lol. The most I ever paid for one of these is the Favre auto. That was over $100 (and rightfully so). Next highest was AP (who I got an unreal deal on and paid $60 because I went on to buy his card when his career seemed to "fade" a year ago). The market fluctuates quite often with these so you have to get them at a good time. Autos like Favre are always going to be high because he's a forever legend in the NFL.

So here is the current wall (all serial numbered or certified):

(In order by primary number of player):

Pic 1:

Zimmer- auto
Denny Green- auto
Warren Moon- auto
Favre- auto
Favre- rookie card
Teddy- rookie auto and jersey
Cunningham- auto and jersey
Case- rookie auto
Tarkenton- auto
Culpepper- auto and jersey
Treadwell- rookie auto
Harvin- auto
Coley- rookie auto
Diggs- rookie auto
Jarius Wright- rookie auto and jersey
Sidney Rice- rookie auto
Thielen- auto
Alexander- rookie auto
Hughes- rookie auto
McKinnon- rookie auto and jersey

Pic 2:

Harry- auto
Paul Krause- auto
Terrence Newman- rookie auto
Cedric Griffin- rookie auto
Latavius Murray- auto
Winfield- rookie auto
Robert Smith- auto
Jayron Kearse/Mac Alexander- dual rookie auto
Adrian Peterson- auto
Adrian Peterson/Barry Sanders- game worn rookie jerseys
Ahmad Rashad- auto
Rhodes- rookie auto
Dalvin Cook- rookie auto and jersey
Anthony Harris- rookie auto
Chuck Foreman- auto
Chad Greenway- rookie auto
Eric Kendricks- rookie auto
Barr- rookie auto
Chris Coleman- auto
Randall McDaniel- auto

Pic 3:

Jared Allen- auto
Ron Yary- auto
Shariff Floyd- rookie auto
Bryant McKinnie- rookie auto
Cris Carter- auto
Carl Eller- auto
Kyle Rudolph- rookie auto and jersey
Randy Moss- jersey
Jake Reed- auto
Alan Page- ND helmet auto
John Randle- auto
Kevin Williams- rookie auto
Sheldon Richardson- rookie auto
Jaleel Johnson- rookie auto
B-Rob- auto
Everson- rookie auto
Linval- auto
Hunter- rookie auto

Still a few I'm looking to get. Moss and Cousins auto cards are really expensive right now. Few other players here and there but I'm looking to get first round rookies at least each year.

Hope you guys enjoy. Pretty proud of it haha
Attachments
IMG_0030-3.jpg
IMG_0030-3.jpg (172.92 KiB) Viewed 729 times
IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0031.jpg (175.96 KiB) Viewed 729 times
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 729 times
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Something is telling me you guys would like my hobby....

Also, I have a Diggs auto mini helmet, Moss auto mini helmet and Kendricks signed jersey all certified!
Attachments
IMG_0034-2.jpg
IMG_0034-2.jpg (139.14 KiB) Viewed 728 times
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Amazing collection
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:43 pm Amazing collection
Thanks man!
-Chazz Palminteri
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Would you happen to be interested in a whole pile of Peterson RC and 2nd year cards? I was big into collecting when i was a kid, then College and NAVY happened and i lost interest. Peterson was drafted during a lul in my navy career (ship yard) and i got back into collecting again, ended up with a lot of Peterson cards. but lost interest again. only held on to the peterson cards (and a few other cards that i acquired through a trading card forum contest after i had gotten rid of most of my collection). I also have a peterson autographed football but the authenticity is a bit suspect... it looks legit when compared to the autographs on some of my cards. but i think the guy i got it from just sends a few footballs to different players and gets them mailed back, i dont think he witnesses the signing. Either way, it would be included. Let me know if you are interested in discussing further.
Formerly AADPFan
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Grashopa wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:52 am Would you happen to be interested in a whole pile of Peterson RC and 2nd year cards? I was big into collecting when i was a kid, then College and NAVY happened and i lost interest. Peterson was drafted during a lul in my navy career (ship yard) and i got back into collecting again, ended up with a lot of Peterson cards. but lost interest again. only held on to the peterson cards (and a few other cards that i acquired through a trading card forum contest after i had gotten rid of most of my collection). I also have a peterson autographed football but the authenticity is a bit suspect... it looks legit when compared to the autographs on some of my cards. but i think the guy i got it from just sends a few footballs to different players and gets them mailed back, i dont think he witnesses the signing. Either way, it would be included. Let me know if you are interested in discussing further.
I mean mostly, I just buy Vikings autographs now. I have a huge collection of standard cards all the way back to 1989. But havent collected those in years now. I got all those when I was a kid. I picked up this Viking autograph card hobby when I was like 24. I'm 30 now and just like buying players autographs. I mean if you could, send me some pictures over in a PM and I can definitely check them out!
-Chazz Palminteri
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

I like on field action cards. Every card having all that glitz on it is over done.
I want to get alot of cards next season, since it's season 100
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

When I was a teenager my friends and I would spend HOURS at the card stores. I used to have a full set of 1990 Upper Deck baseball cards. I sold It to my buddy about 10 years ago. Those things are awesome.
Ahh to be a teenager again.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:39 pm When I was a teenager my friends and I would spend HOURS at the card stores. I used to have a full set of 1990 Upper Deck baseball cards. I sold It to my buddy about 10 years ago. Those things are awesome.
Haha yeah I always loved it when I was a kid. For so long as a kid all I wanted were Vikings autographs so now it’s my new 30 year old hobby lol
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:39 pm When I was a teenager my friends and I would spend HOURS at the card stores. I used to have a full set of 1990 Upper Deck baseball cards. I sold It to my buddy about 10 years ago. Those things are awesome.
Haha yeah I always loved it when I was a kid. For so long as a kid all I wanted were Vikings autographs so now it’s my new 30 year old hobby lol
When my friend was helping me get my sports card collection started, he gave Me a Dave Winfield card from when he was on California. I looked at the back and found out he was FROM st Paul and instantly he became my favorite player. At one point I had over 40 Winfield cards. My mission back then was to get as many Winfield cards as I could.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 pm

When my friend was helping me get my sports card collection started, he gave Me a Dave Winfield card from when he was on California. I looked at the back and found out he was FROM st Paul and instantly he became my favorite player. At one point I had over 40 Winfield cards. My mission back then was to get as many Winfield cards as I could.
hahaha that's pretty awesome! My main thing with these is that I'm just trying to get caught up with most of the legend and good current players. When I get to that point, which I'm nearly at now, I'm just going to buy autographs for the guys I think could make an impact that we draft each year. And maybe a free agent or two. So in the end, I'm probably only buying around 4-5 autographs a year which is minimal spending. The main ones I'm still trying to get are Cousins, Bud Grant, Jim Marshall, Steve Hutchinson, Gary Larsen, Brian O'Neill and Anthony Carter. Some guys I cant find autos of in card form are Pat Williams, Keith Millard, Matt Birk, Joey Browner, Scott Studwell, Robert Griffith and Joe Kapp. Outside of these guys, I have everyone else I'm really looking for when it comes to legends and current players
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:38 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 pm

hahaha that's pretty awesome! My main thing with these is that I'm just trying to get caught up with most of the legend and good current players. When I get to that point, which I'm nearly at now, I'm just going to buy autographs for the guys I think could make an impact that we draft each year. And maybe a free agent or two. So in the end, I'm probably only buying around 4-5 autographs a year which is minimal spending. The main ones I'm still trying to get are Cousins, Bud Grant, Jim Marshall, Steve Hutchinson, Gary Larsen, Brian O'Neill and Anthony Carter. Some guys I cant find autos of in card form are Pat Williams, Keith Millard, Matt Birk, Joey Browner, Scott Studwell, Robert Griffith and Joe Kapp. Outside of these guys, I have everyone else I'm really looking for when it comes to legends and current players
I know occasionally there are autograph parties or events where some of them are participating. I know I've seen Matt Birk's name a few times. Otherwise training camp is probably a good time.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:47 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:38 pm

I know occasionally there are autograph parties or events where some of them are participating. I know I've seen Matt Birk's name a few times. Otherwise training camp is probably a good time.
Yeah usually. I mean I am from and live in New York but I'm in Minnesota at least once, usually twice a year for a game. The first game I went to back in 2012 at the Metrodome, they had an autograph session with Mick Tinglehoff and Matt Blair. I got both their autographs but I cant find them anywhere.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:48 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:47 pm
Yeah usually. I mean I am from and live in New York but I'm in Minnesota at least once, usually twice a year for a game. The first game I went to back in 2012 at the Metrodome, they had an autograph session with Mick Tinglehoff and Matt Blair. I got both their autographs but I cant find them anywhere.
OH I forgot you were from there. I'll keep an eye out and see if there is anything some time soon. I can see if I can get some of them for you.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:48 pm

OH I forgot you were from there. I'll keep an eye out and see if there is anything some time soon. I can see if I can get some of them for you.
Thanks brother I appreciate it!
-Chazz Palminteri