PHP's "Favorite Time of the Year" Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: PHP's "Favorite Time of the Year" Mock Offseason

Post by YikesVikes »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:53 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:39 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but can't we cut Reiff for 2 million in dead money post June 1st?
IIRC, it is more like 6 million.
I'm sure it's 2.4 this year and 4 next year.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:14 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:12 pm I wonder if we will move on from Griffen. That will be the most interesting storyline of our current players.
I hate to say it, but if Spielman and Zimmer don't move on from Griffen I'll be very shocked. The Vikings have guys behind him who can play. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a dropoff when Griffen was out. This isn't even a money thing - this is a professional and team chemistry thing.
Griff is done here. You can't count on a player who could drop off the map at any moment. Now of course any player could do that but Griff has already proven that he has major issues and will do it. Can't see the Vikes keeping him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:16 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Hmmm.... I mean if they keep anyone on this OL outside of O'Neill and Elflein, I'd rather it be Reiff than Remmers or Compton. However, I'm not sure how I feel about this. We tried to do this with Remmers and it failed badly.
The difference is that we moved Remmers to guard out of necessity, while we'd be moving Reiff because he may actually be better suited to playing guard. The knock on Reiff at tackle is that he has relatively short arms, so he struggles against speed. You correctly pointed out the issues he had with Jerry Hughes. The lack of arm length wouldn't hurt Reiff at guard, while his strength would be an asset.

A move to guard might actually make Reiff -- and the Vikings -- better.
I agree. Reiff might be an excellent Guard. While it wouldn't be popular (or wise) to stand pat at OL, its fun to imagine how one might reconfigure this offensive line with guys only currently on the roster. Is it possible that they might show dramatic improvement within a new system? We do have a pretty athletic group of smallish OL, who might look a lot better under Kubiak's system than they did last year.

A lineup of O'Neill, Reiff, Elflein, _______, Remmers might leave only one glaring hole.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

:rofl: :rofl:
fiestavike wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 pm
The difference is that we moved Remmers to guard out of necessity, while we'd be moving Reiff because he may actually be better suited to playing guard. The knock on Reiff at tackle is that he has relatively short arms, so he struggles against speed. You correctly pointed out the issues he had with Jerry Hughes. The lack of arm length wouldn't hurt Reiff at guard, while his strength would be an asset.

I agree. Reiff might be an excellent Guard. While it wouldn't be popular (or wise) to stand pat at OL, its fun to imagine how one might reconfigure this offensive line with guys only currently on the roster. Is it possible that they might show dramatic improvement within a new system? We do have a pretty athletic group of smallish OL, who might look a lot better under Kubiak's system than they did last year.

A lineup of O'Neill, Reiff, Elflein, _______, Remmers might leave only one glaring hole.
:rofl:
Nooooo
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:56 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:53 pm

IIRC, it is more like 6 million.
I'm sure it's 2.4 this year and 4 next year.
His cap hit is $6.6 million prior to June 1, and $2.2 million post-June 1.

Vikings complete cap picture.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'd rather see Cody Ford at one of the tackles, someone else at RG (the Cap Fairy brings us money for a FA), and Remmers flipping burgers at Burger King.

OK, that's not nice. Remmers can play O-line for the Jets or Bills or somebody. Better yet, the Bears. Keep his suckitude in the division.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 pm

I'd rather see Cody Ford at one of the tackles, someone else at RG (the Cap Fairy brings us money for a FA), and Remmers flipping burgers at Burger King.

OK, that's not nice. Remmers can play O-line for the Jets or Bills or somebody. Better yet, the Bears. Keep his suckitude in the division.
Ford would be a great pick from what I've been able to investigate so far. No objection on that one.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

LB- Vosean Joseph- Florida

-Joseph was one of the top LBs in the country this year and can fill Barr’s spot with ease. He’s a fast sideline to sideline LB that is much better when it comes to the blitz than Barr was. He is very similar to Telvin Smith from Jacksonville. And he also has the same knock as Smith did, he could “put on weight and get stronger”. IMO, I think he will be just fine.
No objection to Vosean Joseph in particular, but I think Eric Kendricks is playing out of position at MLB and the run defense has a tendency to suffer for it. I'd really like to see Kendricks at OLB, bring in a downhill MLB to be a force in the run game, and let Wilson compete with whoever else we bring in on the other side.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 am

-Joseph was one of the top LBs in the country this year and can fill Barr’s spot with ease. He’s a fast sideline to sideline LB that is much better when it comes to the blitz than Barr was. He is very similar to Telvin Smith from Jacksonville. And he also has the same knock as Smith did, he could “put on weight and get stronger”. IMO, I think he will be just fine.
No objection to Vosean Joseph in particular, but I think Eric Kendricks is playing out of position at MLB and the run defense has a tendency to suffer for it. I'd really like to see Kendricks at OLB, bring in a downhill MLB to be a force in the run game, and let Wilson compete with whoever else we bring in on the other side.
Agree 100%. I’ve always thought this. Another reason why I think Barr is easily replaceable. I think Kendrick’s is a legit LB. But he’s not necessarily a thumper in the middle. Joseph fills that’s void and Kendrick’s would be a legit OLB IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

We weren't actually that bad against RBs, number 8 in YPA vs RBs I believe.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 am

We weren't actually that bad against RBs, number 8 in YPA vs RBs I believe.
Let's aim for #1.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I agree 100%