The list of Vikings players that should not be back next year!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

The list of Vikings players that should not be back next year!!!

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Well, the season is over way too early, but not really if we are all truly honest with ourselves on how the Vikings played for the majority of the year. It is a sad ending to a year with truly high expectations that never really materialized. If the Vikings had somehow gotten into the playoffs, based on the fact that the Vikings had not beaten a team with a winning record all year, the Vikings would have been thoroughly embarrassed by whoever they played. As Vikings fans, we are all too accustomed to being heart broken and let down by this franchise and we hope that changes and new players are coming for 2019. So, that being said, here is my list of Vikings players that should not return next year.

1. Xavier Rhodes I really do not know what happened to this guy this year. It looks like he just lost his edge. He has the
physical tools and ability to be a top flight corner, but, honestly he gets burned way too much for a player at
his salary cap number. You can find a good corner in the draft and Rhodes needs to go.
2. Everson Griffen It looks like Griffen has definitely lost a step and with his age and salary cap number, I believe it is time to let
some of the younger guys in there. I know he missed five games with mental health issues, but when he
came back he was a non-factor.
3. Andrew Sendejo Anthony Harris pretty much took his spot. Sendejo to me was just not a great overall player and all too

many times would give up the big play. Plus, he will be a salary cap casualty.

4. Mike Remmers Just plain awful. Enough said.

5. Tom Compton See Mike Remmers.

6. Anthony Barr I cannot for the life of my understand how this guy keeps making pro bowls. During most of the games I

watch this guy is nowhere to be found. He is either getting eaten up by powerful guards or he is just plain

tanking the game. He is wanting way too much money for his lack of production.

7. Ben Gideon This guy is a starting LB and you never see him make a play....ever. The Vikings need to find a more

productive LB either in free agency or through the draft.

8. Dan Bailey For a guy to have the reputation of being the most accurage kicker in Cowboys history and then to come to

Minnesota and stink it up the way he did....he might be able to survive if he can just get back to kicking the

way he did for the Cowboys.

9. Trae Waynes Another guy who is on the fence...the guy never makes a pick....it seems like his guy is always making

catches on him....he might be able to survive if he can become more aggressive in coverage and more

productive in causing turnovers.

10. Mike Zimmer It seems that no one holds this guy accountable for anything. It was on his watch that this 2018 Vikings

team never beat a team with a winning record all year. It was on his watch that on the biggest stages for the

Vikings is when they played their worst or did not even show up, for example (the Rams, Saints, Patriots,

Bears, Seahawks) games. Zimmer was often outcoached by a multitude of coaches this year and his clock

management came into question in several games as well.

11. Rick Spielman Spielman has made several quality choices of draft picks over the years. However, to not have addressed the

Offensive line over the last several years cost the Vikings big time over the last couple of years. The

offensive line has to be addressed with players in the first and second rounds in order to get the best players

available, instead of trying to find bargains in the fifth, sixthh or seventh rounds.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: The list of Vikings players that should not be back next year!!!

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I know. Why don't we just fire everybody?

Rhodes is fine. He wasn't "getting burned" as you said. Truth is, he wasn't thrown at that much. Most of his issues this year revolved around injuries, not a sudden dive into suckitude.

Waynes was our best corner. We may let him walk for cap reasons, but not because of his play.

Bailey did fine after a shaky start ... which may have been a function of Matt Wile having never held for kicks before. Over the last 3 games, he hit all 14 of his kicks, which tells me the snapper, holder and kicker were finally on the same page.

Zimmer isn't going anywhere. Neither is Spielman. Get used to it.

As for the rest ... sure, dump away. Sendejo is a no-brainer, if for no other reason than Anthony Harris will cost a lot a lot less. Remmers and Compton could be replaced with orange cones (heck, orange cones might be better ... no penalties).

Barr is a better player than you're giving him credit for, but I'm looking at cap space. Signing him to a big deal probably takes us out of the running for an offensive lineman in free agency. Let Eric Wilson play. Again, a good player, and cheap.

The big thing in the NFL these days is cheap talent ... meaning young talent. We simply MUST hit home runs in the first two rounds of the draft this year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

The first player who should be on the list is none other our supposedly savior QB!

Kirk Cousins is who we thought he was (average Qb)...Kirk always comes up short when it matters, and it will be the same next year.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

A.D_blazing wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 am The first player who should be on the list is none other our supposedly savior QB!

Kirk Cousins is who we thought he was (average Qb)...Kirk always comes up short when it matters, and it will be the same next year.
Well, that isn't going to happen, so let's focus on keeping Cousins upright in the pocket. Fire the offensive line, Remmers, Rieff, Compton.. they all suck. Even Elflein gets run over... O'Neill is worth developing, but we need a bunch of help here.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

A.D_blazing wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 am The first player who should be on the list is none other our supposedly savior QB!

Always comes up short. He lead us against Green Bay in week two but out FG kicker couldn't make a kick. It's always been tough for us to beat Rodgers in Green Bay but he had us there. But he came up short. OK.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 pm I know. Why don't we just fire everybody?

Rhodes is fine. He wasn't "getting burned" as you said. Truth is, he wasn't thrown at that much. Most of his issues this year revolved around injuries, not a sudden dive into suckitude.

Waynes was our best corner. We may let him walk for cap reasons, but not because of his play.

Bailey did fine after a shaky start ... which may have been a function of Matt Wile having never held for kicks before. Over the last 3 games, he hit all 14 of his kicks, which tells me the snapper, holder and kicker were finally on the same page.

As for the rest ... sure, dump away. Sendejo is a no-brainer, if for no other reason than Anthony Harris will cost a lot a lot less. Remmers and Compton could be replaced with orange cones (heck, orange cones might be better ... no penalties).

Barr is a better player than you're giving him credit for, but I'm looking at cap space. Signing him to a big deal probably takes us out of the running for an offensive lineman in free agency. Let Eric Wilson play. Again, a good player, and cheap.

The big thing in the NFL these days is cheap talent ... meaning young talent. We simply MUST hit home runs in the first two rounds of the draft this year.
You pretty much just took every word I wanted to say out of my mouth Kapp!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 pm I know. Why don't we just fire everybody?

Yeah, not sure why he wants to cut the #1 and #2 corner from arguably the best pass defense in the NFL. Odd take.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah, not sure why he wants to cut the #1 and #2 corner from arguably the best pass defense in the NFL. Odd take.
Lol yeah that one baffled me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:36 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 pm
There was a reason why they took Hughes in the 1st round. That tells me the coaches see something that is wrong. This best pass defense ranking is the baffling part. Not sure how that is determined. As I said on another post the Pats pass D was ranked as a joke compared to us. Watch the Super Bowl from this year and they were a blanket against a very good team. Maybe just a lucky game. . The rankings don't tell a true story. It's a smoke and mirrors deal. Hold a team to 50 pct completion rate would seem like a great thing unless the completions were for big yardage that setup short dives into the end zone and thus no TD pass.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:36 pm

There was a reason why they took Hughes in the 1st round. That tells me the coaches see something that is wrong. This best pass defense ranking is the baffling part. Not sure how that is determined. As I said on another post the Pats pass D was ranked as a joke compared to us. Watch the Super Bowl from this year and they were a blanket against a very good team. Maybe just a lucky game. . The rankings don't tell a true story. It's a smoke and mirrors deal. Hold a team to 50 pct completion rate would seem like a great thing unless the completions were for big yardage that setup short dives into the end zone and thus no TD pass.
The reason they took Hughes is because he was the BPA. Spielman even said it. They had him ranked highly on their board. Plus he was a dynamic returner. So you get a legit CB and a legit KR.

I don’t care about NE and their pass defense. It’s because of coaching and game planning with them. Not because they are overly talented in the defensive backfield. BB makes nobody’s into somebody’s. They have good players like Gilmore, but by no means are their CBs overly talented.

Either way, you thinking we need to draft a CB makes zero sense. We have the deepest group in the nfl by a long shot and a top 3 starting group in the nfl. I take our group of CBs any day of the week over what NE has. And it’s not even close.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:57 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 pm

The reason they took Hughes is because he was the BPA. Spielman even said it. They had him ranked highly on their board. Plus he was a dynamic returner. So you get a legit CB and a legit KR.

I don’t care about NE and their pass defense. It’s because of coaching and game planning with them. Not because they are overly talented in the defensive backfield. BB makes nobody’s into somebody’s. They have good players like Gilmore, but by no means are their CBs overly talented.

Either way, you thinking we need to draft a CB makes zero sense. We have the deepest group in the nfl by a long shot and a top 3 starting group in the nfl. I take our group of CBs any day of the week over what NE has. And it’s not even close.
Zero sense. Watch what Brees did in one half of a playoff game. Then the Eagles just passed at will. That is why Hughes was the pick. Was he BPA as Speilman said. Well what's he gonna say? He knew people would be pissed taking another CB in the 1st round. He covered his #### with the BS BPA tale.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Zero sense. Watch what Brees did in one half of a playoff game. Then the Eagles just passed at will. That is why Hughes was the pick. Was he BPA as Speilman said. Well what's he gonna say? He knew people would be pissed taking another CB in the 1st round. He covered his #### with the BS BPA tale.
Lol I can bet money that is NOT why we took him. If anything, they were worried about Alexander. Hughes was never going to start over Waynes or Rhodes. Watch what we did all year this year. And only had Hughes for 4 games....like I said, it makes zero sense to draft a CB early. No less, if you actually look at the draft this year, the CB class is extremely weak
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:03 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Lol I can bet money that is NOT why we took him. If anything, they were worried about Alexander. Hughes was never going to start over Waynes or Rhodes. Watch what we did all year this year. And only had Hughes for 4 games....like I said, it makes zero sense to draft a CB early. No less, if you actually look at the draft this year, the CB class is extremely weak
Your right Alexander improved big time. As did Waynes. Rhodes could should have been benched. But maybe it was all injury related which I hope it was. If not it's a big problem. I like being deep at CB. You need three starter types just to match up against these 3 wr packages which are almost becoming the base package. I also felt Hill really held his own. They didn't really throw at him for a reason. But yeah a CB in round one would be a stretch I agree with that. But I also wouldn't be pissed.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:53 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Your right Alexander improved big time. As did Waynes. Rhodes could should have been benched. But maybe it was all injury related which I hope it was. If not it's a big problem. I like being deep at CB. You need three starter types just to match up against these 3 wr packages which are almost becoming the base package. I also felt Hill really held his own. They didn't really throw at him for a reason. But yeah a CB in round one would be a stretch I agree with that. But I also wouldn't be pissed.
Xavier Rhodes was arguably the best CB in the NFL in 2017. He's not just going to be benched the following season. Did he play great? No, but he still very much held his own and we still had a top 3 passing defense because of him. Fans got use to him shutting every #1 WR down and that wasnt as much the case this year and guys are all over him for it. What made me mad with him was him being injured every time he got beat. If you get beat, you get beat. Dont play the injury card every time it happens because it lets your team down. Luckily, we had depth to fill in when he limped off. But if we didnt and we had a guy getting smoked every time Rhodes felt like being injured, I'd be snapping.

And again, this CB class is pretty weak. There isnt a playmaking shutdown CB in this class regardless. Even if there was, who is he going to start over?!! Definitely not Waynes or Rhodes. Mac has the slot locked down now. Then you have Hughes and Hill as the other outside CBs. Where would a 1st round CB possibly fit in. It would be a complete waste of a pick.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:53 pm

Xavier Rhodes was arguably the best CB in the NFL in 2017. He's not just going to be benched the following season. Did he play great? No, but he still very much held his own and we still had a top 3 passing defense because of him. Fans got use to him shutting every #1 WR down and that wasnt as much the case this year and guys are all over him for it. What made me mad with him was him being injured every time he got beat. If you get beat, you get beat. Dont play the injury card every time it happens because it lets your team down. Luckily, we had depth to fill in when he limped off. But if we didnt and we had a guy getting smoked every time Rhodes felt like being injured, I'd be snapping.

And again, this CB class is pretty weak. There isnt a playmaking shutdown CB in this class regardless. Even if there was, who is he going to start over?!! Definitely not Waynes or Rhodes. Mac has the slot locked down now. Then you have Hughes and Hill as the other outside CBs. Where would a 1st round CB possibly fit in. It would be a complete waste of a pick.
Aside from the Rams game where we got zero pressure on Goff, Rhodes did not give up a over 70 yards to a single receiver all season. Yea, he should have been benched. :whistle: