Game day Chat or Thread?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Chat or Thread on game day?

Chat
41%
Thread
53%
No opinion
6%

Total votes: 17

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Game day Chat or Thread?

Post by Cliff »

I've made this a sticky and am going to leave it up during the rest of the off season to let responses trickle in.

My ultimate goal is to actually merge the chat and thread together but I don't know what will be involved in that from me. With the entire off season maybe I can create something. In my mind all I need to do is make the chat "archive" connect to a thread that I would make a "sticky". When people post to the "Game day thread" they would actually be posted to the chat archive which *should* display in the chat window when it's updated. That's my rough plan, we'll see how much time I actually have to work on it lol

Anyway, if that plan doesn't work we'll either split the functionality or go with the majority. We've got a while to think about it so no need to make a decision right this second.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:27 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm

True... Why not have both.
We could potentially have both but I was trying to keep the conversation condensed to one place. We have a lot of traffic on game day but probably only 15-50 people post in the chat/thread (depending on the game it can fluctuate a lot) and only some of them post constantly through a game.

My concern was if we split the group up there wouldn't be very much conversation in either place due to the group size being smaller. We can give it a try next season and see how it goes.

Maybe I'll try to code something that combines the post and chat. So if someone posts in the thread it shows up in the chat and if someone makes a comment in the chat it shows up in the thread. That would be best but I would have to write the plugin myself. Maybe that will be an off season project of mine.
That's what the preseason is for 😁
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Cliff -

I do appreciate all the hard work that you and the other mods do on here - for no pay - and I want to apologize if my last post came across in any other manner. Having been a moderator on other forums, I know the amount of work that goes into it, and it can seem like a full time job at times. I feel like my venting about the content that some users post may have overshadowed the message I was trying to get across.

I'm not sure that it was clear in my last post, but I love the chat: the way it functions during games is just so much smoother (at least in my opinion) than a thread. I feel that the ability to interact in more real time adds to the joy of the game. While I've lived in Minnesota for the past two seasons, I have spent most of my life living elsewhere (Alaska, Nevada, Texas, and California) and will be leaving Minnesota towards the end of next season (joys of the military life). Most of the places I've lived, there isn't a huge collection of Vikings fans, so coming on here during game days has helped me be able to talk with others who love the Vikings as much as I do. I feel that the chat function has made these interactions smoother and more rapid response, it has also helped make the communications be more on point and I feel that early on in the season it really did lead to more pointed discussion. Further, I believe that the chat has encouraged more users to engage during the games (I don't have any data to support this, it was just what I thought I observed during the season as compared to past seasons).

I hope that you're able to implement a system which will fuse the two forms of game day communication. However, if that isn't possible, I will go along with what the majority of the board wants. I feel that if we have two different channels of communication going (chat and thread) neither will be as great as having it all in one place. I believe that having two options will lessen both experiences.

In short, I'm sorry if my last post came off as an entitled ####. This forum has been a great place to post and read about the Vikings for the past 15+ years (14 as a registered member, and a year or two as a lurker prior to that). I love the chat function. The past 18 months or so we have just seen an influx of posters going after each other as opposed the contributions that were customary on this site. You and the other mods have been doing a great job trying to reign it in and keep posters on track and within the rules.

With all that said, I really just want to thank you and the other moderators for all your work and contributions to the board.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

akvikingsfan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:11 pm Cliff -

I do appreciate all the hard work that you and the other mods do on here - for no pay - and I want to apologize if my last post came across in any other manner. Having been a moderator on other forums, I know the amount of work that goes into it, and it can seem like a full time job at times. I feel like my venting about the content that some users post may have overshadowed the message I was trying to get across.

I'm not sure that it was clear in my last post, but I love the chat: the way it functions during games is just so much smoother (at least in my opinion) than a thread. I feel that the ability to interact in more real time adds to the joy of the game. While I've lived in Minnesota for the past two seasons, I have spent most of my life living elsewhere (Alaska, Nevada, Texas, and California) and will be leaving Minnesota towards the end of next season (joys of the military life). Most of the places I've lived, there isn't a huge collection of Vikings fans, so coming on here during game days has helped me be able to talk with others who love the Vikings as much as I do. I feel that the chat function has made these interactions smoother and more rapid response, it has also helped make the communications be more on point and I feel that early on in the season it really did lead to more pointed discussion. Further, I believe that the chat has encouraged more users to engage during the games (I don't have any data to support this, it was just what I thought I observed during the season as compared to past seasons).
Not at all! I didn't take what you said as anything negative towards me or anyone of the other mods. If I came off as annoyed it was just at the fact that the "personal attacks" came up again. It's been a reoccurring theme and it's starting to get old. Not from the people saying they're tired of it, but from the people doing it.
I hope that you're able to implement a system which will fuse the two forms of game day communication. However, if that isn't possible, I will go along with what the majority of the board wants. I feel that if we have two different channels of communication going (chat and thread) neither will be as great as having it all in one place. I believe that having two options will lessen both experiences.
I hope so too. If not though, we'll figure something out. That was my thought too about having both but if enough people really want it I may at least give it a test run.
In short, I'm sorry if my last post came off as an entitled ####. This forum has been a great place to post and read about the Vikings for the past 15+ years (14 as a registered member, and a year or two as a lurker prior to that). I love the chat function. The past 18 months or so we have just seen an influx of posters going after each other as opposed the contributions that were customary on this site. You and the other mods have been doing a great job trying to reign it in and keep posters on track and within the rules.

With all that said, I really just want to thank you and the other moderators for all your work and contributions to the board.
No need for an apology at all. If I made it seem like I was annoyed with you I'm the one that's sorry :)

You're welcome, I really do enjoy it for the most part. I just find myself trying to walk this line between keeping this place civil and restricting what people want to say too much. It's starting to look like I've been too lenient and it's just unfortunate.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I would say chat .....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

akvikingsfan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:11 pm Cliff -

As aka viking said first, thanks to cliff and all the other mods for there work we wouldnt have this place without you. I agree with the whole idea or having conversations in different places takes away from our already small amount of active poster during game time. However noticed a huge difference in the "type" of post that each service brings. With threads you get alot heated emontional reactions, threads you get a more in depth intelligent opinion. Ive never in my 4 seasons on this board heard so many people threaten to leave the game day chat because is not enjoyable, its to negative etc. As i said i think we have two completey different types of fans and i dont think forcing them all into one outlet will increase the amount of productive conversation. You will still get the arguements from the people who always stay postive and the people who freak out after every bad play and will result in one side leaving or an unfun environment. Going with majority might not be my first choice espeically if we are looking at 60/40 or anything close. Either way i fancy myself as abit of a chameleon, ill adapt to either ;), good luck cliff. Also a shout out to purplemustreign, good thing to get this discussion going early into the off season.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Cliff wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 am I've made this a sticky and am going to leave it up during the rest of the off season to let responses trickle in.

My ultimate goal is to actually merge the chat and thread together but I don't know what will be involved in that from me. With the entire off season maybe I can create something. In my mind all I need to do is make the chat "archive" connect to a thread that I would make a "sticky". When people post to the "Game day thread" they would actually be posted to the chat archive which *should* display in the chat window when it's updated. That's my rough plan, we'll see how much time I actually have to work on it lol

Anyway, if that plan doesn't work we'll either split the functionality or go with the majority. We've got a while to think about it so no need to make a decision right this second.
I think that is a perfect idea. I like both.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If anybody cares I've got half of this working. If you post in this thread on the beta site it will also post to the chat. Just got to get the reverse working now.

http://beta.vikingsmessageboard.com/vie ... =1&t=37396