Game day Chat or Thread?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Chat or Thread on game day?

Chat
41%
Thread
53%
No opinion
6%

Total votes: 17

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Game day Chat or Thread?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Now that we've had a seoson with the chat, I am curious what everyone thought... Specifically should we keep the chat or should we go back to the game day thread?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Game day Chat or Thread?

My vote is the thread. I like to be able to go back and read, and it's hard to do with a chat. I also like to read previous games.
Finally, the chat would get hung up too much. It was hard to follow.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

IMHO the threaded works better for looking back and jumping in and out if I miss some of it I find it troublesome to catch back up . That said I'm fine but would prefer the old way.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I prefer the chat. I just think its good for getting immediate reactions. It works well on my phone too. The problem I have with the thread is that I dont like refreshing to see a reply.

I see you guys' point on being able to want to look back and read older post but I just don't think there's not much to look back to unless you want see redundant stuff like "yea!", "TD" "OMG our line sucks!" or "Fire this person!:"

I just had a thought after typing this. Is there's a way to archive the chat?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:48 pm I prefer the chat. I just think its good for getting immediate reactions. It works well on my phone too. The problem I have with the thread is that I dont like refreshing to see a reply.

I see you guys' point on being able to want to look back and read older post but I just don't think there's not much to look back to unless you want see redundant stuff like "yea!", "TD" "OMG our line sucks!" or "Fire this person!:"

I just had a thought after typing this. Is there's a way to archive the chat?
That "yeah!" and "TD!" etc. was also in the threads lol

The archive has always been available. You can easily scroll through and see what others have said. That complaint comes up a lot but that functionality exists; mchat/archive
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

By the way, I'll be the first to admit that sometimes the chat gets clunky. When a lot of people are replying all at once. I have to refresh my chat every 30 or so minutes if I'm on my phone (works fine via desktop). If I didn't refresh eventually typing would bog down. Cause multiple letters to come out, etc. I improved this pretty dramatically by changing the "refresh" rate on the chat.

At it's core, the chat function basically is a thread that refreshes itself for you. At first I had it set to refresh every 3 seconds or something like that. I moved it up to 10, I think, and it helped quite a bit. Perhaps if I push it back further that would also help.

That said, I was having to refresh the "thread" every 10-15 seconds if I wanted to see what was going on ... I would then have to go back through 2-3 pages to catch up and by the time I got back to where people were now there was no point in even commenting. At that point, I might as well have been look at the chat archive.

I also acknowledge that it can be difficult to go through the archive to find a specific game. You have to go through pages of messages looking for the proper date. You can't just go to a thread and have them all there.

What if next season I created a thread for every game that marked exactly where that week's chat started in the archive so that anybody could click on that and go straight to the archive where the game is.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I enjoyed the chat function, at first. But as the season wore on, it just became nothing more than personal attacks. While this was common in several threads, I feel that it was worse in the chat. From a moderator perspective, I understand that it is difficult to moderate the chat, and there isn't always a moderator available (what we don't pay you enough?! :lol:) For this reason, I stoped using the chat. I didn't enjoy all of the "good fan" "bad fan" and personal attacks. To be frank, this season I came close to stopping using the board altogether after having been on here for almost 15 years.

The problem I'm seeing, comes down more to a handful of users. Most of us are on here to talk Vikings and hear other opinions. However, there are 4-5 individuals who have made the experience less enjoyable. I will be sticking around through the off season and into the start of next season to see if things improve.

With that said, I believe a thread would be easier to moderate, and would make it possible for moderators to go back and give people some time off and/or ban accounts. It is not my board, I am not a moderator, and I am merely a member. However, the overall usability of the chat is better for actual games (in my opinion), I just wish there was some way that users would be held accountable for what they say in the chat.
Last edited by akvikingsfan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

akvikingsfan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:50 am I enjoyed the chat function, at first. But as the season wore on, it just became nothing more than personal attacks. While this was common in several threads, I feel that it was worse in the chat. From a moderator perspective, I understand that it is difficult to moderate the chat, and there isn't always a moderator available (what we don't pay you enough?! :lol:) For this reason, I stoped using the chat. I didn't enjoy all of the "good fan" "bad fan" and personal attacks. To be frank, this season I came close to stopping using the board altogether after having been on here for more than 10 years.

The problem I'm seeing, comes down more to a handful of users. Most of us are on here to talk Vikings and hear other opinions. However, there are 4-5 individuals who have made the experience less enjoyable. I will be sticking around through the off season and into the start of next season to see if things improve.

With that said, I believe a thread would be easier to moderate, and would make it possible for moderators to go back and give people some time off and/or ban accounts. It is not my board, I am not a moderator, and I am merely a member. However, the overall usability of the chat is better for actual games (in my opinion), I just wish there was some way that users would be held accountable for what they say in the chat.
Agreed. If the chat can be a spot to actually discuss the game then I don’t mind it at all
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think the personal comments and stuff would be just as likely to take place in a thread (I know they used to come up often and they come up in just normal threads all the time). It's even more difficult to moderate a thread in my view. In order to properly moderate we'd have to basically refresh the thread every couple of seconds manually.

Truth be told, one of the (many) reasons we're strict on the board (compared to a lot of others). This isn't a paying job for any of us (as pointed out) so I don't want to have a community that has to be heavily moderated. To some degree I rely on the people here to moderate themselves. Just be nice fellow fans and not hostile/emotional train wrecks every time someone disagrees with them. Mostly we are.

I try to be available for the chat as much as possible (and the game day thread before that) but I host games at my house every week and obviously I'm not going to be on my phone the entire time trying to teach people manners at the expense of me having a good time watching the game.

If the same bad actors keep it up they'll be gone. My tolerance for that kind of behavior is getting lower and lower.

I agree there have been a lot of personal comments and attacks last season and quite frankly, I'm tired of being a broken record about it. If people being jerks is the problem then they'll likely be the ones leaving the board, not the chat.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:45 pm
I host games at my house every week and obviously I'm not going to be on my phone the entire time trying to teach people manners at the expense of me having a good time watching the game.
Bad Mod....

:wink:
i'm ready for a beer.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

That "yeah!" and "TD!" etc. was also in the threads lol
yea haha. That's what I was trying to say. I probably formed my sentence wrong. Basically I was saying that the game-day thread doesn't really have enough substance (for me I guess) to want to really know what everybody previously is saying. I like it for immediate reaction and a quick statement on whats going on. I figured the post game thread good for the more deep opinions.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

If the part about the freezing and slow downs can be fixed, I am willing to try the chat.
Cliff I like the idea of a thread with game break links.
It was always easier to read the thread, imo. You refresh and find where you left off. For the chat, because it auto refreshes, it gets hard.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

There are two sides IMO as usually. One side prefers to emotionally react on what they see, they cheer for touchdowns a freakout over picks/touchdowns against/ fumbles etc. Then you have the group that wants to discuss ever touchdown and break it down, give there intellectual opinion and so fourth. I see no reason to remove either, if you prefer the game day chat use it, if not start a thread, seems simple. No reason to take away the chat and force the people who like it to use threads.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

allday1991 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 pm There are two sides IMO as usually. One side prefers to emotionally react on what they see, they cheer for touchdowns a freakout over picks/touchdowns against/ fumbles etc. Then you have the group that wants to discuss ever touchdown and break it down, give there intellectual opinion and so fourth. I see no reason to remove either, if you prefer the game day chat use it, if not start a thread, seems simple. No reason to take away the chat and force the people who like it to use threads.
True... Why not have both.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm
allday1991 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 pm There are two sides IMO as usually. One side prefers to emotionally react on what they see, they cheer for touchdowns a freakout over picks/touchdowns against/ fumbles etc. Then you have the group that wants to discuss ever touchdown and break it down, give there intellectual opinion and so fourth. I see no reason to remove either, if you prefer the game day chat use it, if not start a thread, seems simple. No reason to take away the chat and force the people who like it to use threads.
True... Why not have both.
We could potentially have both but I was trying to keep the conversation condensed to one place. We have a lot of traffic on game day but probably only 15-50 people post in the chat/thread (depending on the game it can fluctuate a lot) and only some of them post constantly through a game.

My concern was if we split the group up there wouldn't be very much conversation in either place due to the group size being smaller. We can give it a try next season and see how it goes.

Maybe I'll try to code something that combines the post and chat. So if someone posts in the thread it shows up in the chat and if someone makes a comment in the chat it shows up in the thread. That would be best but I would have to write the plugin myself. Maybe that will be an off season project of mine.