Report: Jaguars expected to hire John DeFilippo as offensive coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Report: Jaguars expected to hire John DeFilippo as offensive coordinator

Post by Cliff »

The Jaguars have a lot of work to do when it comes to putting together the right personnel to run their offense in 2019 and it appears they’ve settled on their choice of a coach to put that offense in place.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team is expected to hire former Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo as their offensive coordinator. Current Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett was fired from that job during the 2018 and quarterbacks coach Scott Milanovich filled in on an interim basis.
Read more
S197
Fenrir

Re: Report: Jaguars expected to hire John DeFilippo as offensive coordinator

Post by S197 »

Don't draft Fournette too early next year!
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Nick Foles may end up in Jacksonville
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Watch the Jags average 35 ppg. That would be about right.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 pm Watch the Jags average 35 ppg. That would be about right.
Flip has proven success. Didn't work here for whatever reason.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:13 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 pm Watch the Jags average 35 ppg. That would be about right.
Flip has been an offensive coordinator for 1 year in this league. And had the 25th ranked offense. What proven success? Outside of that he’s been nothing but a QB coach. Far from proven success IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Flip has been an offensive coordinator for 1 year in this league. And had the 25th ranked offense. What proven success? Outside of that he’s been nothing but a QB coach. Far from proven success IMO
He was also Cleveland's OC in 2015.

Interestingly enough, he did kind of the same thing with the Browns that he did with the Vikings. More than 4,000 yards passing, a middling rushing attack, and a team that struggled to score. If anything, what he's "proven" is that his team can pile up stats but struggles to score -- and win.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:08 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 pm

Interestingly enough, he did kind of the same thing with the Browns that he did with the Vikings. More than 4,000 yards passing, a middling rushing attack, and a team that struggled to score. If anything, what he's "proven" is that his team can pile up stats but struggles to score -- and win.
Yeah that’s what I was referring too. Should have said two years counting this year. What I meant is he was an OC for 1 year prior to this year and there was zero “proven success”.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:56 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Yeah that’s what I was referring too. Should have said two years counting this year. What I meant is he was an OC for 1 year prior to this year and there was zero “proven success”.
A Super Bowl is proven success. He helped Foles I think. Foles wasn't the same this year. Maybe I was wrong and he did nothing. If that was the case a stupid hire. And the new guy we have didn't prove anything in his chance. We still had problems. Maybe another bad hire.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Blah, he didnt help Foles at all. I hate when coaches get credit for QB's playing well. Its like the the idiot(s) Wilf's hired Childress. Childress got the credit for McNabb (back when McNabb was decent), and he knew nothing about QBs when he came to the Vikings. But then no one in the Vikings front office know a thing about QB's, esp Spielman. Its been this way foerver.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm

A Super Bowl is proven success. He helped Foles I think. Foles wasn't the same this year. Maybe I was wrong and he did nothing. If that was the case a stupid hire. And the new guy we have didn't prove anything in his chance. We still had problems. Maybe another bad hire.
You're right. Foles wasn't the same this year. He was better.

Check the numbers. Check the W-L record. He won yet another playoff game. He wasn't better in the playoffs this year, but overall he was better. And he made himself a ton of money, having just opted out of his deal in Philly.

Don't be surprised if he's reunited with Pat Shurmur in New York. Shurmur was his OC in 2013, when he threw for 27 TDs and 2 INTs.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

And Flip wasn't calling the plays so how is that "proven success"? As for Stefanski, I'm willing to give him a shot given he had only 3 games to go off of and wasnt able to input his own style of offense. Especially with Kubiak on board, I think you see a much different Vikings offense.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 am

And Flip wasn't calling the plays so how is that "proven success"? As for Stefanski, I'm willing to give him a shot given he had only 3 games to go off of and wasnt able to input his own style of offense. Especially with Kubiak on board, I think you see a much different Vikings offense.
I agree.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:39 pm

You're right. Foles wasn't the same this year. He was better.

Check the numbers. Check the W-L record. He won yet another playoff game. He wasn't better in the playoffs this year, but overall he was better. And he made himself a ton of money, having just opted out of his deal in Philly.

Don't be surprised if he's reunited with Pat Shurmur in New York. Shurmur was his OC in 2013, when he threw for 27 TDs and 2 INTs.
I guess it comes down to a persons definition of better. Winning a SB is about as good as it gets. Getting beat in the playoffs isn't better. We have had QBs do the same thing.