My Plan to Fix the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: My Plan to Fix the Vikings

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 am
To get back on topic, we were already in good shape on 3rd down as far as yards to gain, the key will be adding a WR like a Wright, who is a really good on 3rd down, and shoring up the line so Cousins can have all day to find an open WR past the sticks. We do that and the offense will be back in the top 10.
I think Diggs and Thielen are pretty excellent 3rd down WRs, who are both quick, decisive, violent and versatile. Beebe looks like a very promising 3rd down option to me too. Yet again, starting Treadwell all season in place of a better option on the bench is another example of one of this regimes greatest weaknesses. They just don't get the best players on the field. And of course, Cousins played very poorly this year, and I think they'll have to scheme around him to find much success going forward.
You are right Diggs and Thielen are good 3rd down WRs, and should have been enough. They weren't enough for Cousins however, so I was thinking of what to do at our 3rd WR spot. Beebe is a non-factor until he can stay healthy for more than a game which he did look good in, like you said, Treadwell is worthless, and Robinson did nothing when he got promoted to #3. Literally caught zero passes versus Detroit and the Bears.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 am
To get back on topic, we were already in good shape on 3rd down as far as yards to gain, the key will be adding a WR like a Wright, who is a really good on 3rd down, and shoring up the line so Cousins can have all day to find an open WR past the sticks. We do that and the offense will be back in the top 10.
I think Diggs and Thielen are pretty excellent 3rd down WRs, who are both quick, decisive, violent and versatile. Beebe looks like a very promising 3rd down option to me too. Yet again, starting Treadwell all season in place of a better option on the bench is another example of one of this regimes greatest weaknesses. They just don't get the best players on the field. And of course, Cousins played very poorly this year, and I think they'll have to scheme around him to find much success going forward.
Rudolph is good on 3rd down too.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Rudolph is good in the redzone. Otherwise, the team is better when he is on the bench.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Rudolph is good in the redzone. Otherwise, the team is better when he is on the bench.
I'm not sure how you know that because he's hardly ever on the bench
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Correct, but again, wasn't good enough for Cousins to convert on 3rd down consistently.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

One name I would love on the Vikings and he would be dirt cheap is Ty Neske. I am not sure why he isn't liked in the NFL but all the guy does is work his #### off. I first noticed him about 3 years ago when we went to play the Skins and Trent Williams was out. I thought we would be licking our lips. Needless to say Griffen was held without a sack and was dominated by Ty. 6'8 325 lbs and every game I have seen him start, he is absolutely the best lineman on the field. Please cut Reiff and bring him in. We should be able to get him at 3-4 million a year. At worst he is exactly what we have in Reiff and we save 7 million. At best, he's an improvement.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 pm One name I would love on the Vikings and he would be dirt cheap is Ty Neske. I am not sure why he isn't liked in the NFL but all the guy does is work his #### off. I first noticed him about 3 years ago when we went to play the Skins and Trent Williams was out. I thought we would be licking our lips. Needless to say Griffen was held without a sack and was dominated by Ty. 6'8 325 lbs and every game I have seen him start, he is absolutely the best lineman on the field. Please cut Reiff and bring him in. We should be able to get him at 3-4 million a year. At worst he is exactly what we have in Reiff and we save 7 million. At best, he's an improvement.
That would be a good bargain right there. Good call YV! I didn’t realize he was 33 years old. However it would be a good stop gap to save some money
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:12 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 pm One name I would love on the Vikings and he would be dirt cheap is Ty Neske. I am not sure why he isn't liked in the NFL but all the guy does is work his #### off. I first noticed him about 3 years ago when we went to play the Skins and Trent Williams was out. I thought we would be licking our lips. Needless to say Griffen was held without a sack and was dominated by Ty. 6'8 325 lbs and every game I have seen him start, he is absolutely the best lineman on the field. Please cut Reiff and bring him in. We should be able to get him at 3-4 million a year. At worst he is exactly what we have in Reiff and we save 7 million. At best, he's an improvement.
That would be a good bargain right there. Good call YV! I didn’t realize he was 33 years old. However it would be a good stop gap to save some money
When he resigned to the Skins for 2.9 million, I almost lost my mind. Who is his damn agent? I would walk into every negotiation and put on the tape of the Vikings game. He dominated Griffen. I don't mind the Age as he was out of football for some time, which is less wear and tear. He fits within this teams window. We already have a LT of the future. This will allow us to coach up Oneil and a RT drafted in the later round.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:12 pm

When he resigned to the Skins for 2.9 million, I almost lost my mind. Who is his damn agent? I would walk into every negotiation and put on the tape of the Vikings game. He dominated Griffen. I don't mind the Age as he was out of football for some time, which is less wear and tear. He fits within this teams window. We already have a LT of the future. This will allow us to coach up Oneil and a RT drafted in the later round.
I might put that signing in my offseason mock!! I already got a plan haha. Also, as for his age, I'm starting to notice that some OL are actually better in their later years than their early ones as well. Different than other positions I feel
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:16 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am

I might put that signing in my offseason mock!! I already got a plan haha. Also, as for his age, I'm starting to notice that some OL are actually better in their later years than their early ones as well. Different than other positions I feel
That's been the case for a long time. Jackie Slater played for like 50 years. There have been a great deal of OL that have played even close to 40 very effectively.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018