Gary Kubiak Joins Vikings as Offensive Adviser/Assistant Head Coach

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Gary Kubiak Joins Vikings as Offensive Adviser/Assistant Head Coach

Post by Mothman »

Interesting piece from Judd Zulgad about the hire:

https://www.skornorth.com/2019/01/zulga ... defensive/
It appeared the spin on these hires was that Stefanski had a hand in deciding to bring in the Kubiaks because he and Klint had coached together with the Vikings in 2013 and ’14. There was a report that Gary Kubiak had an interest in hiring Stefanski in Denver, but the reverse happened when Kubiak ended up not returning as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator under new coach Vic Fangio.

The Star Tribune reported that that agreement fell apart over philosophical differences and Kubiak’s desire to rehire Dennison and Pariani. Kubiak, who coached the Broncos to a Super Bowl title in 2015 with Peyton Manning as his quarterback, stepped down after the 2016 season because of health-related reasons. The 57-year-old had spent the past two seasons as a senior personnel advisor for the Broncos, but his desire to be a coordinator again made him a hot name on the market.

Maybe Stefanski did play a role in Kubiak being hired by the Vikings. But you know what likely played a bigger role? Zimmer’s desire to not have to worry about offense anymore.
More at the link.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 amI do not buy into the criticisms about power struggle and supposed questions of "who is in charge?"

It clearly became an issue in 2016.
They had success in 2017 with Saparno in a similar role under Pat Shurmer. Stefanski was part of that staff as well, so he has seen how this model can successfully function.
Different model. As you pointed out, Sparano was working under Shurmur as the offensive line coach, he wasn't in a position of authority over the OC. I'm not saying there will be problems but there are obviously potential pitfalls with this kind of structure. It might work great. It might be a problem. A lot will depend on the people involved. How well will Stefanski handle the playcalling? Will everybody be able to get (and stay) on the same page?
Frankly, I think having a guy like Kubiak in the room makes a lot of sense. Stefanski has had the majority of his career with the Vikings. Kubiak brings a level of experience that would otherwise be lacking on the offensive side of things. That is big advantage to a guy like Stefanski who while likely competent, can't match the experience someone like Kubiak brings to the table.
The experience IS helpful but the inexperienced coach will likely be calling the plays while the experienced guy will be his supervisor. I think potential for conflict is built into that equation but that doesn't mean it will materialize. I just view it as a legitimate consideration. Some conflict can even be constructive but Stefanski will be serving two masters and that can be difficult.
Also, they had intended for Sparano to serve this function under DeFelippo and he would have had he not passed away. If not for that unfortunate event, the Viking would be going into their 4th season of this model under Zimmer.
Since Zimmer's Vikings teams aren't known for their offensive success, I'm not sure we should find that reassuring. :)

This might work out great. I like the hire. I'm not sure about the structure. As we always say, time will tell. In the end, I think success or failure probably still depends on whether there's an overarching, shared vision for the offense that comes from the top (Spielman and Zimmer) and is carried through everything from the offensive coaching to the personnel decisions, game-planning and playcalling.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mothman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 am
Cliff wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:22 am Every time I see "assistant head coach" I think of "The Office". Assistant *to* the head coach.

Seriously though, I think it's a good hire. I think it's Zimmer acknowledging that he needs help on that side of the ball and is trying to get it. He is happy with his OC but understands he is new to the role and could use some guidance that he himself can't provide.
It does beg the question: why not just hire Kubiak as OC in the first place?
That's a good question, I think that if Stefanski wasnt in the picture that Kubiak would be running the whole offensive side and Stefanski would be job hunting.
Interested to see how everybody meshes.
Whatever happen to Philbin for offensive Line coach? I heard he had an interview but nothing more was ever mentioned.
Last edited by halfgiz on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

The one thing that gives me hope that this arrangement might work is that Stefanski has survived through so many different coaching staffs. To me this means he is very flexible, gets along well with the bosses and is easy to get along with (a negative spin on this might be to suggest he is a “yes” man). The fact that they have history and it would appear (as shown in the article Mothman posted) that they mutually sought out this relationship gives me hope that it might work.

It could mean that Stefanski is just a puppet but as long as he’s ok with it and it doesn’t create too much tension, I guess it could work?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

While I think this has the potential to be a good hire, I can't help but think this may create a power struggle if Kubiak is indeed more than just an 'offensive advisor.'

Weird theory: Perhaps this move is more about longevity and an indictment on Zimmer than Stefanski? Perhaps the Wilfs are playing more into the two year deal of Stefanski. If we tank again this coming season (and I am truly thinking we rebound in 2019) perhaps Spielman survives and Zimmer gets the boot? That would set-up a potential Stefanski as HC, Kubiak as OC in 2020. Then again, if we struggle again this year I feel MAJOR changes will need to be made to the entire team. Again, not saying this theory of mine is anywhere near the actual case, but I do find it interesting that Stefanski got a two-year deal...

As far as what to expect from Kubiak? Zone run and play action - which I happen to be a huge fan of. Not only am I a big fan of the philosophy, I believe we have all the offensive skill players to excel in the system. The weakness of course is the TALENT (not the ATHLETICISM) of our offensive line. Reiff and O'Neil are perfect zone OTs. Our interior is a nightmare for this scheme currently. I would strongly, strongly hope we upgrade every interior position this offseason. I doubt we will.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:22 am Every time I see "assistant head coach" I think of "The Office". Assistant *to* the head coach.

Seriously though, I think it's a good hire. I think it's Zimmer acknowledging that he needs help on that side of the ball and is trying to get it. He is happy with his OC but understands he is new to the role and could use some guidance that he himself can't provide.
I had the same question, but I winder if Zimmer is trying to bring more experience like he did a few years ago. If you are going to bring experience, really the only way you'd find it is to hire former head coaches. There aren't a lot of experienced position coaches who haven't been a head coach at skme point.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

^ An act of desperation is one way to look at it. I prefer to say he's pulling out all the stops. Given he is on the last year of his deal, he can either lay down and go with what he has or he can go down fighting saying that in the end if it doesn't work out that at least he tried.

On another note, you hear this term thrown around for some coaches on some teams in the league, but Kubiak may also be coming in as a run game coordinator. Not sure if that was already mentioned, but obviously, Kubiak being a disciple of Shanahan, he's more than a QB whisperer type and considering the run game appears to be a major focus for Zimmer, this could also be another reason why they really wanted to bring in Kubiak. The zone scheme those Broncos were known for was plug and play at the RB position...the only constant was a strong O-line. Hopefully Kubiak can identify some lineman in the draft and via free agency that can fit that type of scheme and who will be successful from the get. Lots of speculation on his exact role and it's probably going to end up a combination of all of this, but overall, I'm encouraged.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I get the feeling Kubiak was not a sure thing at the same time period Stefanski was a HC candidate. Stefanski was a safe "plan B," and one that could be coupled with a "plan A" if one came about. Feels like they had to work a little backwards to avoid major disaster.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:46 pm

I get the feeling Kubiak was not a sure thing at the same time period Stefanski was a HC candidate. Stefanski was a safe "plan B," and one that could be coupled with a "plan A" if one came about. Feels like they had to work a little backwards to avoid major disaster.
That's a pretty logical explanation.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Good question. It's possible they decided on their OC before they knew Kubaik was an option. It's possible that Kubaik himself wasn't interested in being seen as one of the top coaches in a staff that could potentially blow up next year.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm Good question. It's possible they decided on their OC before they knew Kubaik was an option. It's possible that Kubaik himself wasn't interested in being seen as one of the top coaches in a staff that could potentially blow up next year.
Really great point. This is a probably a safer arrangement for Kubiak. If it goes well, he will probably get a lot of credit. If not, he will probably not get the blame. Hopefully it works well. This whole thing makes me a little nervous, but it could also be a whole lot of fun next year if it goes well.
Damian
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I'm a fan of Kubiak but his role here seems suspect. I feel like Stefanski, while being the official OC, will be more of a George Edwards figure for our team in terms of him having an official title but no one really believing he has much power. If that's the case, I guess it worked for Edwards/Zimmer so hopefully it works out the same way.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

TSonn wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:12 pm I'm a fan of Kubiak but his role here seems suspect. I feel like Stefanski, while being the official OC, will be more of a George Edwards figure for our team in terms of him having an official title but no one really believing he has much power. If that's the case, I guess it worked for Edwards/Zimmer so hopefully it works out the same way.
I dont trust it either. Never liked father/son duo's in the NFL coaching. I dont see what Klint's done to come on as QB coach. Talk about having your hands full, getting a chicken sh** QB as your first job. Maybe we get a line and Cousins doesnt have to fear for his life, but I dont trust Speilman. At all. In fact, I think this whole bit of ex Bronco coaches coming over is Rick's idea, and not Zimmers. Makes me trust the Wilfs even less. And what about Stefanki? Why even hire him if they were going to bring in all these Bronco coaches? Speilman's fall guy? Zimmers? I bet Zimmer doesnt even talk to anyone on the offensive side of the ball next season.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm not opposed to delegating one side of the ball to an experienced coach. All the better if that coach is at a point in his career when he isn't going to be considered for another head coaching job. Jim Bates, Wade Phillips, Dick LeBeau,...those kind of guys can just have the defense left in their hands and things might work out pretty. Mike Zimmer was probably in that boat as a DC to some extent.

It does seem that this sort of arrangement is more common for defense than offense, but I think if the Vikings can get the kind of stability out of Kubiak/Zimmer that they wanted out of Turner/Zimmer, that is a winning formula. Might the Wilfs have the patience to ride that out and emulate a franchise like Pittsburgh? If they have any serious hope of winning a superbowl in the next decade, its almost certainly their best bet.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:36 am I'm not opposed to delegating one side of the ball to an experienced coach. All the better if that coach is at a point in his career when he isn't going to be considered for another head coaching job. Jim Bates, Wade Phillips, Dick LeBeau,...those kind of guys can just have the defense left in their hands and things might work out pretty. Mike Zimmer was probably in that boat as a DC to some extent.

It does seem that this sort of arrangement is more common for defense than offense, but I think if the Vikings can get the kind of stability out of Kubiak/Zimmer that they wanted out of Turner/Zimmer, that is a winning formula. Might the Wilfs have the patience to ride that out and emulate a franchise like Pittsburgh? If they have any serious hope of winning a superbowl in the next decade, its almost certainly their best bet.
Frankly, I think their best bet to win a Super Bowl in the next decade is to replace Mike Zimmer and Spielman with a more effective coach/GM combination and proceed from there. I'm not suggesting that's easy but I think another decade of those two is likely to yield more of the same rather than a Super Bowl victory.